Episode III Game Duel Characters: A Janus Look

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth_Janus
Here I relate to y'all my views on the playable duel mode characters in the Episode III game for Xbox/PS2/Whatever. My first purpose in this is to ***** about some things to people who might identify. My secondary purpose is to get feedback and see how other people saw the duel mode of this game.

- Anakin Skywalker: Easy to use, quick, looks badass. Actually, Anakin is rather idolized in this game from start to finish, getting more levels than Obi-Wan, doing incredible stunts for a mere Jedi knight, and being easy to use and faster than Obi-Wan. Plus, Nick Gillard's obsession with the hanging guard means Anakin blocks everything with his saber hanging down like this --> T

- Obi-Wan Kenobi: A slower paced character, but still effective in the right hands. Obi-Wan is slower than Anakin and suffers because of it. Still, after a half hour of practice, I could whup better with Obi than with Anakin.

- Count Dooku: My personal favorite. Dooku exhibits a simple but effective fighting style, and has an awesome sidestepping technique that no one else shares. However, the old Count is limited in effective moves, Nick Gillard having decided Form II now includes half a dozen high stance overhead chops and slashes as opposed to controlled and effective stabs and thrusts. Still, Dooku is a good choice for those of us who prefer elegant and simple combat.

- General Grievious: A metal ball of crap. GG is deadlier in his twin blade stance than in his quad bladed one, and only because he has a combo that can be looped over and over again (as the AI opponent shamelessly does) that can only be stopped by a standing quick attack (Meaning you aren't holding a direction on the joystick). He also can't be picked up via Force because of his magno legs, and trying to throw him is like trying to piss on the sun. All in all, he's a munchkin's dream character,

- Mace Windu: A good overall character. Mace Windu balances power and reach with speed and randomness. He can be used effectively even with almost no experience, but a Mace veteran can destroy damn near anyone else with ease.

- Serra Keto: A flop in disguise... Serra wields twin blades with all the ease and speed of a flipped over June bug. Her true strength lies in her slow (and vulnerable) but ackward moves and sidesteps. In all actuality, a SK player gets their advantage from either wailing away at an opponent or freaking them out with wierd, seemingly impossible to follow moves. But in the end, she really sucks for having any kind of style.

- Cin Drallig: A character based off of Nick Gillard himself as he appears in Episode III, Cin resembles Elrond meets Raiden from Mortak Kombat meets Jocasta Nu. And he is a ridiculously overpowered character. For one, he has a rush attack that is damn near impossible to block, blurs him (which is more annoying than it sounds) and is easily abused. Also, Cin combines forms II, VII, and V, making him a horrible punkass with no real weaknesses. He's really a less-obvious munchkin choice and I dislike him.

- Darth Vader: Vader is true to his movie form, albeit more flexible. Slow, but easily the strongest character in the lineup. Darth Vader and I (As Count DOoku) had the closest to what I would call an epic duel on Palpatine's balcony. Vader, used properly, is a very good character that can hem in opponents, assuming you don't rely on button mashing and the like. And the best part? He's not unbalanced when you compare him to GG and Cin. I actually enjoy Darth Vader as a playable character.

- Ben Kenobi: Ben is back for the attack. ANd he's actually quite good. Although slower than his younger counterpart, he's stronger and, in particular, the AI makes him quite effecttive. Also, he has a suicide move (Hold X and A and hit some other button) where he holds his saber up as he does in Episode IV. A single hit after this point kills him. Nice.

Admiral Akbar
Very cool, dude, i havent played the Episode 3 game yet, but if i had the chance to play with any of these chars, it would be definetly dooku, and of course Windu. Powerful and effective.

Darth_Janus
I like both myself. The game is very good; better then I thought it was... While it mirrors the LOTR movie to games, it's much better, and the multiplayer modes are awesome.

HimoKun
I would most likely go with Dooku if I played the game. Fits my way of fighting.

Admiral Akbar
So many people said it sucked though. Its to easy and that the chars are overpowered. I find hack and slash games fun, plus its star wars.
Dun matter if its boring i still try it.

Darth_Janus
It is an easy game, I think... But the duel mode was lots of fun, and hardly easy.

Admiral Akbar
Can u set the difficulty other than easy? The duel modes should be cool, id spend all day playin with windu. As for the game whats the best duel?
Obi vs GG
Mace vs Anakin
IS there a yoda vs sidious?
Obi vs anakin.

Darth_Glentract
No Sidious in it which I was disapointed about.

The Anakin vs. Cin was fun. So was Anakin vs. Dooku. Obi vs. Anakin was fun also. Dang, thats over half the game.

I was mad about Anakin beating Mace in a strait fight.

Great Vengeance
The game was a perfect rental, fun for a week but after beating it twice and wearing out the dueling mode it got old quick.

DarkDethbringer
it was very fun...I wish they would make a game with an awesome story mode hat had access to (almost if not) all of the chars! and they had multiple costumes...like Greivous could wear his cloak and etc.

Darth_Janus
They really need to expand on the duel mode and release a seperate game, including all major Force users from the movies and Eu alike.

darth vraya
I'd be windu

Dresta
Windu was very good and so was Dooku. GG just pissed me of as he was very repetative with his double slash move.

Darth_Janus
Yeah, GG was a cheap character, the kind your irritating button mashing little brother picks and wins through no talent of his own.

Darth_Glentract
wow, thats exatly what happened in my house

Darth_Janus
Your thoughts betray you, Glentract. Behold, I am psychic!

Darth Kronos
LMFAO Janus is soooo right my brother does that same shit with Sara Keto...for Ps2 all u gotta do with her is keep hitting square and she won't stop till u die then he goes and says :HA! i beat u

Darth_Glentract
use force push and then jump heavy attack and it stops Serra in her tracks.

Darth_Janus
Just hit the quick slash button without pushing forward ot break the chain. But they made that move, just like CIn's bumrush, nearly impossible to block or parry.

Darth Kronos
not if ur in a corner...

Darth_Janus
If you're in a corner, you just die. hence why I hate Serra and GG.

Darth Kronos
lmao...windu is good but my best it Vader

Darth Plagues
Originally posted by Darth_Janus
Here I relate to y'all my views on the playable duel mode characters in the Episode III game for Xbox/PS2/Whatever. My first purpose in this is to ***** about some things to people who might identify. My secondary purpose is to get feedback and see how other people saw the duel mode of this game.

- Anakin Skywalker: Easy to use, quick, looks badass. Actually, Anakin is rather idolized in this game from start to finish, getting more levels than Obi-Wan, doing incredible stunts for a mere Jedi knight, and being easy to use and faster than Obi-Wan. Plus, Nick Gillard's obsession with the hanging guard means Anakin blocks everything with his saber hanging down like this --> T

- Obi-Wan Kenobi: A slower paced character, but still effective in the right hands. Obi-Wan is slower than Anakin and suffers because of it. Still, after a half hour of practice, I could whup better with Obi than with Anakin.

- Count Dooku: My personal favorite. Dooku exhibits a simple but effective fighting style, and has an awesome sidestepping technique that no one else shares. However, the old Count is limited in effective moves, Nick Gillard having decided Form II now includes half a dozen high stance overhead chops and slashes as opposed to controlled and effective stabs and thrusts. Still, Dooku is a good choice for those of us who prefer elegant and simple combat.

- General Grievious: A metal ball of crap. GG is deadlier in his twin blade stance than in his quad bladed one, and only because he has a combo that can be looped over and over again (as the AI opponent shamelessly does) that can only be stopped by a standing quick attack (Meaning you aren't holding a direction on the joystick). He also can't be picked up via Force because of his magno legs, and trying to throw him is like trying to piss on the sun. All in all, he's a munchkin's dream character,

- Mace Windu: A good overall character. Mace Windu balances power and reach with speed and randomness. He can be used effectively even with almost no experience, but a Mace veteran can destroy damn near anyone else with ease.

- Serra Keto: A flop in disguise... Serra wields twin blades with all the ease and speed of a flipped over June bug. Her true strength lies in her slow (and vulnerable) but ackward moves and sidesteps. In all actuality, a SK player gets their advantage from either wailing away at an opponent or freaking them out with wierd, seemingly impossible to follow moves. But in the end, she really sucks for having any kind of style.

- Cin Drallig: A character based off of Nick Gillard himself as he appears in Episode III, Cin resembles Elrond meets Raiden from Mortak Kombat meets Jocasta Nu. And he is a ridiculously overpowered character. For one, he has a rush attack that is damn near impossible to block, blurs him (which is more annoying than it sounds) and is easily abused. Also, Cin combines forms II, VII, and V, making him a horrible punkass with no real weaknesses. He's really a less-obvious munchkin choice and I dislike him.

- Darth Vader: Vader is true to his movie form, albeit more flexible. Slow, but easily the strongest character in the lineup. Darth Vader and I (As Count DOoku) had the closest to what I would call an epic duel on Palpatine's balcony. Vader, used properly, is a very good character that can hem in opponents, assuming you don't rely on button mashing and the like. And the best part? He's not unbalanced when you compare him to GG and Cin. I actually enjoy Darth Vader as a playable character.

- Ben Kenobi: Ben is back for the attack. ANd he's actually quite good. Although slower than his younger counterpart, he's stronger and, in particular, the AI makes him quite effecttive. Also, he has a suicide move (Hold X and A and hit some other button) where he holds his saber up as he does in Episode IV. A single hit after this point kills him. Nice.

You nailed it. Same thing I think to.

Darth_Janus
Well, at least I was accurate. But that sucks, too. Now I won't get too much more feedback. I mean, I'd actually love to hear what, if anything, that people thought or found out playing that game.

Darth Plagues
I found out that I underestimated old Ben Kenobi. He's not all that weak as I thought.

Darth_Janus
Yeah, I thought I could bat him around. And the first round he destroyed me.

DarthChris
I've played it and I liked Darth Vader I loved using his force grip.

kamikz
I have played the game for a long time and this is how my list looks like.

1. Obi-Wan Kenobi
2. Anakin.
3.Count Dooku.
4.Darth Vader.
5. Mace Windu.
6. Cin Drallig.
7. General Grievous.
8. Ben Kenobi.
9. Serra Keto.

SnakeEyes
General Grevious is a very annoying character to fight against...

Admiral Akbar
Dooku has style, which makes him a fun player to play with, and mace is ownage, that would be awsome if you could like buff yourself with his, Vapaad style and glow red showing ure using dark side powers. Always thought that would be the roxxorz.

darth-yoda
a game like the duel mode of ROTS with evry character revan exile kriea luke costumes like ANH ESB ROTJ NJO costumes or maybe customisable robes

Darth_Rankkor
Unfortunetly I will never be able to play it because I was told that the most probable thing is that it never comes out for PC sad

darth-yoda
u can get a xbox cheap there better than the ps2 and the game seems funner or start saving for a 360 there backwards compatible sorta

Darth_Rankkor
Originally posted by darth-yoda
u can get a xbox cheap there better than the ps2 and the game seems funner or start saving for a 360 there backwards compatible sorta

I prefer to play on pc. Don't like much consoles stick out tongue Not going to buy a console because of a few games. (few as in less than 10)

kamikz
If you have problems countering Grievous quick attacks just wait until he does the kick at the end of the combo then side step and slash him, it wont fail if you side step at the right time, dont try to counter it with quick attacks.

darth-yoda
so if i name 11 good xbxo games your gonna buy an xbox ok here gose
halo 1-2
kotor1-2
SW Battlefront
Jade empier
Fable
SW ep3
Doom 3
forza
pariah

kamikz
From the games you listed I have halo 1, kotor 2, sw battlefront, sw ep3. The rest looks cool and I would like to try them.

Dresta
PS2 has lots more better games than Xbox. plus PS3 will be far better than 360.

kamikz
Hope so cause I'm not gonna get 360.

darth-yoda
ok this is turning into a console debate anyway im gonna get them all and when i look at it ps2 may have more good games but xbox has better games they dont have a lot but the ones they have are outstanding anywayall the games i listed i have and i love

kamikz
Ok back to SW ROTS, Darth-Yoda, whos your favourite character in this game, mine is Obi because of his speed and his incredible force sword attacks, you know, you hold down the square button on PS2. He can take out half the health of an opponent with that. Force sword attacks is Cins only weakness.

MAKASHIMAN
i rock with the elegant dead count
stick out tongue

DarthGenises
Can't you unlock Yoda

Dresta
no u can't u can not get Yoda or Sidious as a character in versus mode which is annoying.

kamikz
U can have Yoda in the bonus missions but he sucks, can't do any good force powers and can only do 3 combos. I wish they would have replaced let's say Ben Kenobi with Darth Maul/Sidious or Serra Keto with Qui-Gon/Yoda or something.

Darth_Janus
Oh lord... My duel characters thread has become a soundboard for people who type like this:

u lik yoda ur ttly right cideus rulez r0x00r!!

kamikz
I think this was a great thread, I got to see what other people liked about the game and see how everyone thinks about the characters, really intersting.

Darth_Janus
I'm teasing. I'm glad people are connecting. Kinda makes me feel useful.

DarkDethbringer
my list is
1.Mace Windu
2.Darth Vader
3.Count Dooku
4.Anakin Skywalker
5.Generel Greivous

darth-yoda
mace windu then cin drallig

Darth Mantis
This is my list in which the characters I play best within a versus duel.

1. Cin Drallig
2. Anakin Skywalker
3. Obi-Wan Kenobi
4. Ben Kenobi
5. Darth Vader
6. Mace Windu
7. Count Dooku
8. Serra Keto
9. General Grievous

Darth_Janus
Bump for Lord Darkstar

Lord Darkstar
Thanks Janus

Darth_Janus
No problem. Hope it helps. My advice for the duels is to be patient- a good fighter takes advantage of his enemy's mistakes, not by hailing him with blows and hoping he wins.

Darth Faunus
That's the Grievous strategy. . . That goddamn three-hit combo just gets spammed against you, over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, an- *sizzle* *Is cut down Grievous' ****ed up three-hit combo*

Lord Darkstar
lol, thanks for the advice

Luke Is Better
this is really off topic but people were talkin bout it earlier but has ne 1 ever beat doom 3 lol i can't play it at night, to scary with big screen, so that cuts my playin time in half

Darth Faunus
Oooookay.

Luke Is Better
have u and if u have do u go to hell to fight some demons that would b pretty awesome

Darth Faunus
You're on Mars, dude. . . In the game, lol, not literally. Although that would be an interesting topic to think on.

Luke Is Better
i no ur on mars i was wonderin if like u go through some portal or something since they r comin through them mayb it could happen. ya but i just beat the spider queen thing is that pretty far?

Darth Faunus
I suppose. . . I haven't played it in a while; don't even have it. Just play at a relative's house occasionally.

Luke Is Better
o cool ya but back on topic i think the best character is either obi-wan or ben i like obi-wan cause it seems like he's better and sber locks then others and i like his focre move where he like shots them up then throws them down

Darth Faunus
Vader actually seems to show that he's not the clunky bastard he's made out to be, so he's pretty kewl.

Although I must say, Mace Windu pwns through means of rhythmic randomness. . .

Luke Is Better
ya but i don't c what people r talkin about with dooku i find him slow and whenever tryin to do his combos they always get stopped but i guess thats just me

Darth Faunus
Dooku's combos pwn! One of them, I believe, is a speedy fencing lunge, quickly sending four thrusts at the enemy. And, of course, his Heavy Force attacks are nothing to laugh at.

DarthMaul9123
anakin and dooku and mace and grievouse and odiwan and serra keto and cin drallig and old obiwan and vader did i leave anyone out those are the versus characters

Darth Faunus
Okay. . . your point?

Makashi
I think he is trying to tell us his order of characters. Mine is;

1. Dooku

2. Grievous

3. Mace

4. Obi-Wan

5. Yoda

Darth_Janus
This is about the game. Yoda can only be used in a challenge, and its a sucky challenge that is impossible to lose.

Makashi
Oh alright. Ben Kenobi.

Darth_Nefarus
Personally:

Anakin Skywalker is the chosen one for a reason. He is incredibly powerful and effective. While his quick attacks lack a bit, his strong attacks are equally as fast and can slice through anything, droid and Jdi alike.
Obi-Wan Kenobi: Although he doesn't have the flash of Anakin, he is the ultimate Jedi in this game. Good defense, and he knows where to strike and how. Probably my favorite.

Count Dooku has style. His technique is remarkably effective even against "better" characters. He's probably the most balanced character IMO. Good for newbies and oldies. And force lightning is a wonderful toy.

General Grievious: A metal ball of crap is giving him too much credit. While you can destroy someone with all four sabers rather quickly, most of the characters have too good of a defense for such things. I like that he has a gun, other than that....

Mace Windu: Mace is one of the funnest to play because he's so wild. Unpredictable but remarkably effective. Only problem is sometimes he'll do things I didn't expect and I'll get sliced, but huge props to Master Windu here.

Serra Keto: Grievous is better. Nough said.

- Cin Drallig: As Janus already said, this guy is way overpowered considering who his opponents are. I don't care what he does in the temple all day, he worships the ground the real Jedi walk on. Although, a Drallig Windu battle is quite exciting.

Darth Vader is my favorite character in the game. As Janus said he's very true to his movie form and once you know that, you can take anyone. So far I'm undefeated with Vader. (2 out of 3 battles, I've still died lol)

Ben Kenobi is awesome. The way he will hit you on the back of your head with his saber hilt is classic. He's slower than his younger self, but he still hasn't lost his touch. He, like his younger self, knows where and how to hit, and he just may be your best bet for victory.

Overall, the most epic duel I've had is a tie. My friend and I had two battles, each nearly lasting an hour, with Old Obi-Wan vs. Dooku, and Mech Vader vs. Anakin.
The game itself is really sweet and enjoyable, even though it's a bit short.

And I agree with Janus about the Yoda level. There's no way to lose. Every button makes you dodge things and it's insane. If Yoda would have been a nomral combatant, he most likely would have been the best.

Darth_Janus
I actually rather liked duelling, but all I had was the computer and on hard even, they get so predictable I can beat the shit out of most competitors. I have no idea how I'd rank against a living opponent, but if it's anything like me in other fighting games, I'd probably pwn.

Darth_Nefarus
hahaha nice.

Living opponents are fun because someone who really knows the character can naturally whoop up.

You should see my buddy Mark with Grievous. It's the only time the good general can do some damage.

Darth Faunus
I've actually never once lost a battle with Cin Drallig, computer-player or live. I've beaten him, but never lost with him. Like you guys have said; way over-powered.

Rand al'Thor
I never even played the game before

Lord Janus
You should play it.

And I'd be lying if I said I didn't get owned even as my favorite Dooku, but mostly it's because my game method involves me jumping feet first into something. Never read rules, instructions, hints, etc. Experience best learned is painfully learned.

Rand al'Thor
Originally posted by Lord Janus
You should play it.

And I'd be lying if I said I didn't get owned even as my favorite Dooku, but mostly it's because my game method involves me jumping feet first into something. Never read rules, instructions, hints, etc. Experience best learned is painfully learned.

I'm gonna have to get PS2 first, but since my parents won't let me buy and console systems(don't even ask why becuase I have no idea)I'm stuck with my laptop abeit a very high quality laptop it still lacks in the world of gaming.

Darth_Nefarus
Dude, Cin Drallig is bad, but you know what his major weakness is?
Anakin ***** slicing him lol

Lord Janus
Actually, if you're competent with the Force throw, you can just rain objects on him from the background. If you're good, you can kill him before he gets close enough to rush. And if he does rush, just strafe out of the way. This is, of course, easier to do if you're Dooku.

Lord Simus
Actually Drallig I can handle what makes hime ****ing cheap is some of his attacks are unblockable like 1,000 slashes.

Darth Faunus
Actually, if you're competent with the Force throw, you can just rain objects on him from the background. If you're good, you can kill him before he gets close enough to rush. And if he does rush, just strafe out of the way. This is, of course, easier to do if you're Dooku.

Ah. . . Chucking stuff in the Outer Temple, with all the Gunships flying around, the fire, it's so satisfying. Just rip a panel off of the ground, and 'shazam!', you have a floored opponent. *sigh*

Darth_Glentract
With Vader, you can do that little attack thing where you move behind them really fast and then catch them with a string of heavy attacks. Cin has a hard time against that.

Darth Faunus
Ah, the sabered backhand.

Lord Janus
Yeah. And surprisingly, Obi-Wan can fek Cin up with his ambiguous spin kick that normally gets you killed for being so obnoxious.

KingDubya
I like using Windu a lot. First time I played the duel mode, my brother told me that Windu sucks, so I took him while my brother took Anakin. And I whooped his *** so badly.

KingDubya
Originally posted by Lord Simus
Actually Drallig I can handle what makes hime ****ing cheap is some of his attacks are unblockable like 1,000 slashes.
That's why you try your best to attack Cin from afar in any way possible.
Hint: Use Force Stun A LOT! It really helps. It can sometimes be more useful than anything else, including lightning.

Darth_Glentract
I was not very good with Windu the first time I played, but now I am pretty good with him.

Darth Faunus
Yeah. And surprisingly, Obi-Wan can fek Cin up with his ambiguous spin kick that normally gets you killed for being so obnoxious.

That gets anyone, everytime. Arguably his best move.

And guys, for Cin Drallig. When he gets in close, Force Push or Grip are the ways to go. He can't block them. It's best to try and fend him off from mid-range, using something like Mace Windu's flipping strikes, or Kenobi's kick. Even grapples pass as effective with him, although its best to attempt these only when he is stunned or otherwise incapacitated.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.