Does God exist in SW?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dark Thor
Ive recently read in the "In the name of What?" thread that people are saying that the jedi had gos or not. Now i was wondering are there religions like christianity in the galaxy?

Ast Rofan
Sure there is, Han calls the the jedi a religion.

DeVi| D0do
The Jedi are considered a religion... at least by Tarkin.

General Zodiac
Yeah when they die they become one with the Force.

Darth Zenemij
Jedi is a Religion kind of. People in the real world have look as it as a religion, I found it on the Internet...

http://www.explorefaith.org/news/05_17_05.html

DeVi| D0do
Woo! I did that! And all I got was an angry letter from the government. big grin

darkperson
Originally posted by Darth Zenemij
Jedi is a Religion kind of. People in the real world have look as it as a religion, I found it on the Internet...

http://www.explorefaith.org/news/05_17_05.html

Wow some loser opened a school on how to speak wookie thats weird.

Darth Zenemij
Yeah. Shirriwook, I learned the name of the language from KOTOR.

((The_Anomaly))
haha, im gonna put Jedi down next census they take here stick out tongue

ArynCrinn
There are other religions in the star wars galaxy...
You read about them in EU books and stuff.

Captain REX
The Force is such a God, at least to the Jedi. Or a God-like entity, anyway. It's omnipresent, it provides for them, etc.

Sadako of Girth
Jar Jar speaks of "Da Gods" in TPM...

...Welll there you go... I guess there are other religions in the SW universe...

Captain REX
Thousands, I'm assuming. The Gungans could have a different religion than the Nubians, and Naboo religions can be completely different than Coruscant religions, which can be different than Tatooine religions, which can be different than...and so on.

The Biker Scout
Lucas made blatent attempts to "tie" certain aspects of his stories with some shape or form of religion...

All valid points above about,JarJar,Han and the Jedi...

I say yes.

R2D2-89
so whos the jedi's god/gods

lil bitchiness
I think its safe to assume that the force is ''god''. It can create and take life.

Seeing how Jedi have the qualities and characteristics of Buddhist and Buddhism, there is no god, just karma and the force.

queeq
No God in SW.

Captain REX
Not THAT God, Queeq, no. stick out tongue

R2D2-89, the god-like figure of the Jedi is the Force. Quite obvious, that one.

exanda kane
Dont mean to be rude or anything, but your ideas are pretty straight forward, especially when you try and sound clever saying that Nubians have different religons from those on Coruscant . . . i would've thought that would be self-explanatory . . .

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by queeq
No God in SW.

damn skippy, and the force is NOT god.....I dont see where you guys are getting that...... huh

Captain REX
Oh, the Force ain't God, it's just a god-like figurish thingymajiggenbobbers...wait, what?

At any rate, it's the basis of the Jedi/Sith religion. yes

mace wendu4
Who the **** gives a shit if there's a god in star wars!!!!!!!! all that matters is that lightsabers are swung and people are painfully sliced. you people really need to get a life.

mysterio69
sure god exists. he created aayla secura. how else do you explain her?
huh?

Tulak Hord
Sorry, no. I don't exist in the SW Universe.

Stunrun
The Force creates life and binds the galaxy together - (God) Anakin had no father, Shmi gave birth and couldnt explain what happened - (Jesus)

/\ you cant honestly tell me that theres no god, or atleast something biblical about star warswink

SithHappens
Jedi are men of the cloth. I mean comeon, they were robes, don't believe in anger, the only difference is they get to wield lightsabers and own people. And their "god" gives them awesome power.

mysterio69
man, that'd be crazy if priests and cardinals started wielding swords. some poor bastard will go to confession, and instead of a few hail mary's for penance, he'll get a sword in the gut.

Sadako of Girth
"Noooooooo one expects the Jedi-inquisition.....!!!"

Captain REX
Originally posted by mace wendu4
Who the **** gives a shit if there's a god in star wars!!!!!!!! all that matters is that lightsabers are swung and people are painfully sliced. you people really need to get a life.

Can it, Mace, or I will have a warning filed.

On a much more evil note...

The Inquisiiiiiiiition (what a show!) the Inquisiiiiiiiition (here we go!)

kalsemo
Personally, one of the reasons I like ROTS so much is because it has more of a new-agey or spiritual tone and feel -- not necessarily in a dogmatic religious way.... for example, the imagery is breathtaking... ie when Anakin looks accross the clouded sunset sky on Mustafar... and the opera scene orbs are also fascinating! Not only is the imagery in some scenes mystical, but the music is just so much more myterious and riveting than in all the other Star Wars movies.. everything together just gives it a spiritual feel I really like...

Captain REX
I agree with Kalsemo, though not entirely relevant to the existance of God, I must say... stick out tongue

But yeah, the imagery was awesome.

Ast Rofan
Im not sure if someone already made this joke, but I am bored.

"Yes, I exist in SW"

Okay, I feel better now. stick out tongue

Captain REX
Niiice...

kalsemo
Originally posted by Captain REX
I agree with Kalsemo, though not entirely relevant to the existance of God, I must say... stick out tongue

True.... I wanted to start a new thread about the mysticsm/spiritualism of the imagery and the music, but I figured I would've gotten bashed for not using an exisiting thread... so this was the only somewhat related thread I could put that thought in.....

Ast Rofan
Niiice...

*bows*

Thankyou, thankyou. big grin

The Biker Scout
Originally posted by queeq
No God in SW.

Ya huh.......I said so...

Red Superfly
Our God (or the God I think you are all referring to), the God from Christianity, doesn't exist in Star Wars.

There are many Gods in Star Wars, as explained before, but none are tied to any religions that exist here. They are merely inspired by religions.

The Force is based off of many religions, and was Lucas' way of trying to encapsulate every religion in a universal manner (the Jesus/Anakin thing, the will of the force, immortality and an evil adversary, all themes carried through Buddhism, Christianity, Catholisicism and the others).

We must remember that Star Wars is a modern moral myth, so naturally things like The Bible will be drawn upon as inspiration.

Also, the difference with the Jedi/Sith is that the Force is a FACT in their world.

Funny how the Sith are a minority bunch of fanatics who cause pain and sufferring because of their misguided views. There's a lot of metaphysical bullshit you could get into with politics between Jedi/Sith and our real world but I can't be arsed.

General Bondius

Sadako of Girth

On a much more evil note...

The Inquisiiiiiiiition (what a show!) the Inquisiiiiiiiition (here we go!)

laughing laughing laughing

Captain REX
*takes a bow* Thank you, thank you... big grin

Bondius, we have flippin' clue what you are talking about.

exanda kane
Originally posted by mysterio69
man, that'd be crazy if priests and cardinals started wielding swords. some poor bastard will go to confession, and instead of a few hail mary's for penance, he'll get a sword in the gut.

It's already happened and thats why the rest of the world hates the West and Christianity!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.