Michael Gambon or Richard Harris?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

NightCrawler341
Which do you like better?

Darth Macabre
I actually like both. I like Gambons energy, but I liked Harris's body, and voice. If Harris was younger when he started he would have been perfect.

Kella
I think, after reading the books finally, that Richard Harris was a good Dumbledore in that he had that warm father-figure presence, but as far as the energy to run Hogwarts and guide the students, I think Gambon does a better job.

I'm not sure if I can picture Michael Gambon doing some of the things or behaving some of the ways Dumbledore does in the future stories.

I only read the books for the first time a few weeks ago and so I've seen both men playing the part, but I kept picturing Richard Harris while I was reading. I kept trying to force Michael Gambon into the role in my mind, but it never really seemed to fit quite right.

Maybe PoA just didn't show the range of his Dumbledore abilities. I dunno. He was a clever Dumbledore, full of energy and sly cunning, but interaction with Harry was just...not as warm as with Harris. I will need to feel that bond with Harry if I'm to believe Gambon to be a great Dumbledore.

kier14matrix
I like Harris better because he matched Dumbledore perfectly, but gambon is also very good, I reckon Gambon is better at acting a more serious role like in Goblet Of Fire and Order Of The Phoenix, whereas i felt Harris was better at acting a less serious role like in Philosophers Stone and Chamber of Secrets.

kier14matrix
(although Gambon hasn't acted the roles in Goblet Of Fire and Order Of Phoenix, he will be soon)

NightCrawler341
I felt that Richard Harris had more energy and portrayed Dumbledore better. But that might be because I've only seen Gambon acting in one movie and Harris in two, where I got use to him then Gambon appears. Gambon is still good, but I think Harris fits it better.

DanFan4000
We all have our veiws and I think (Tis just my view), that we must not live in the past and should think that Gambon will pull it off for us all. For he is the new Head Master of Hogwarts and there is not changing that...

I like many, enjoyed Harris and his work, but most of all, his voice is what carried his roll as Dumbledore, and we notice that Gambons voice is not what the people of this world remember as Head Master, but that of anothers. Plus hes a hippy and they make it a point that Harris is not Dumbledore, Gambon is. (Tis just my view, disagree if you like...).

masterkit
Gambon did good but to me he didnt bring that dumbledore presence.

DarkCanadian
Ian Mackellan would've brought up the Dumbledore prescence. Definitely. His deep voice, his blue eyes, his sense of POWER when he's Gandalf the White. I think JKR might've modelled Dumbledore after him.

Except he declined the place, all because of X2.

*sob*

LiveAndLetDie
Richard Harris got it down. He`s the one I always picture in the books. I would rather have Ian McKellen, though

APIECEOFME
Richard Harris WAS Dumbledore. I don't think I will be able to really accept anyone else as DD after seeing him in the role. He was just wonderful.

tigress
I think so to, we'll just have to reserve judgment on Gmbon POA wasnt really a challenge for him lets see how he does in GOF

Luna150
Niether of them. Richard Harris looks like him ALOT but he is too slow and acted too old and feeble. The new one is alot more like dumbledore but doesn't really look like him.

ladygrim
dont know to hard to pick out of them sad

belbel300
Richard Harris, and I think that Ian Mckellen should have been the replacement, especially after reading book 6 crybabycrybaby

GraciePoo
Originally posted by belbel300
Richard Harris, and I think that Ian Mckellen should have been the replacement, especially after reading book 6 crybabycrybaby

I agree, McKellen would have been a good relacement

emmas bf
POST EDITED!

Rapscallion
there is no question in my mind. Harris was much better. I thought Gambon was awful. He didn't seem to get the character at all. Mckellen would still be the best though.

The Phantom
Originally posted by emmas bf
.... WTF?! No no no! You, one, have the wrong thread and two aren't aloud to ask for their emails! BAD! No... I report.

Originally posted by Rapscallion
there is no question in my mind. Harris was much better. I thought Gambon was awful. He didn't seem to get the character at all. Mckellen would still be the best though. I dunno. McKellen is a good actor... but I don't think he could have done Dumbledore as well as Harris...

RoguePw25
Originally posted by emmas bf
POST EDITED!

Please do not ask for the actor's e-mail addresses and do not post your own e-mail. Thank you.

Icicle
I think there both great!!!!!
Ian Mcellen would have made a great Dumbledor to!

scooby doo 12
harris

Council#13
I perfered Richard Harris because Michael Gambon's voice is too strong, and gives him the impression of being a jerk.

kanis
vampire Richard Harris was a more wiser dumbledore while michael gambon was a sort of a more weirder kind of mystical dumbledore but not funnier than Richard Harris was. But Richard Harris was better than Gambon.

HermWeasley
Originally posted by kanis
vampire Richard Harris was a more wiser dumbledore while michael gambon was a sort of a more weirder kind of mystical dumbledore but not funnier than Richard Harris was. But Richard Harris was better than Gambon.
big grin i agree as well but not the part that richard is better. they r both good. they just have diff way in playing dumbledore. big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.