Was Boromir good or bad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Son of Boromir
Boromir good or bad? Now i think hes good, well not only cuz he is my great graet so on so forth grampy but beacause he saved Frodo and died cooly Happy Dance Go him go him go go go go him

kanis
alien Well he didn't save frodo it was merry an pippin he attempted to save frodo was running like a girl, but you can't call him bad he was still good only he was becoming corrupted by the ring. If he had killed frodo and taken the ring then he would be bad, but he didn't and like aragorn said he regained his honour and could die in peace, and he is cool taking down like eight uraks with two arrows in him and with a third in him he was still going. But unfortunately he was the chosen one by tolkien to die sorry.

masterkit
He's good. Becuz I have a star wars name doesnt mean I dont like LOTR I was just more into star wars at the time when I made this. and im responding to this becuz Son of Boromir is my bestist friend

kanis
alien Their is no problem with that masterkit, not everyone likes LOTR, my brother lord shadow z hates it.

Lord_Andres
He was great

Elessea
He wasn't specifically good or bad...but he had an important purpose in the trilogy, and he fullfilled that role

Aduruth
He was a good guy, but was manipulated by the ring, making him "crazed," I guess you could say he was weak minded.

Exabyte
Hmm, maybe he was just weak minded, but I rather think he was sort of blinded because he had been brought up too patriotically/ideologically by a very dominant father. He probably never learned to follow the same mental virtues his fellows did... just think of how different he and Faramir were in their childhood, and how that was requited. Boromir just followed other ideals than the rest... Gondor was all his world and all he could think about

Aduruth
Ah, yes, but then isnt blindness and weak minded so very similar, wink the ring manipulated him into being told that your "father wouldike this gift." etc. but as long as we agree on the same thingf im happy.

Morlow
He was good! The Two Towers extended proved that. smile

Exabyte
Originally posted by Aduruth
Ah, yes, but then isnt blindness and weak minded so very similar, wink the ring manipulated him into being told that your "father wouldike this gift." etc. but as long as we agree on the same thingf im happy.
True, so... I think we can agree on the same thing laughing

Though I'm not sure whether I want to see blindness and weakmindedness as the same thing ermm

Council#13
Boromir was good until he tried to steal the ring from frodo. during those few moments he was bad but while he was saving merry and pippin he was good so he is good most of the time. u cant judge him for one misdeed!

ShaKoon
he died trying to save pippin and merry, he was good except he had a temmption to take the ring, only when he dies he gets over this temptation

masterkit
Their is no problem with that masterkit, not everyone likes LOTR, my brother lord shadow z hates it.-Kanis

I love lotr just I Lotr Xmen and Star Wars are my fave subjects and I was more into star wars at the time thanks to Ep. III

belbel300
Boromir was obviously good, he was just slightly weaker when it comes to the power of the ring, but he did save the hobbit's lives through guilt, honour and anger of his actions.

DanielLB
Boromir was good-if you re-read the beginning of FOTR you will find out that the One Ring curropts and controls what happens to it and the person carrying it. For example, Gollum DID NOT lose the Ring in his cave, the Ring decided to LOSE Gollum therefore, even before Boromir had the chance of gaining the ring from Frodo he had already been corrupted and went on a power craze big grin wink lol

Avathar

shaber
Intended to be neither good nor bad precisely. Isn't that like the tragic hero template?

ThaWhiteShadow
He was a good guy. He immediatly repents it after he tried to take the ring from Frodo, in both the book and movie.

belbel300
yup

kanis
starwars How would have the lord of the rings went on if faramir went in boromirs stead?

billyboyd4ever
He was undeniably good.
The poor guy was just another soul lost to the ring.

Kid Cheynno
B

Kid Cheynno
boromir kick ass like theres no tomorrow, but he hat to die otherwise he would have got together with eowyn instead of faramir.

masterkit
BOROMIR RULES!

Bar-en-Danwedh
if anyone thought Boromir was a bad guy, they totally missed the point...

of, well... everything.

masterkit
ur right

DanieLs_4_Ever
Originally posted by Son of Boromir
Boromir good or bad? Now i think hes good, well not only cuz he is my great graet so on so forth grampy but beacause he saved Frodo and died cooly Happy Dance Go him go him go go go go him
Boromir was very good and kind hearted. He also died saving two young hobbits. The only reason he had his moments of angst were because of the ring and its corruption. He was a really good character though.

Talking_Owl
I'd go on the same long rant I give to my idiot friends who think "omg, lego-las is, liek, teh uber bestest evar!!1! boramer sucks, he should have runed away from teh arows!", but I am tired and have a migrane. To some it up, yes, Boromir is good.

A.D. Skinner
Boromir was good, it was the Ring that lead him down the path of trying to take it away from Frodo...

DanieLs_4_Ever
Originally posted by A.D. Skinner
Boromir was good, it was the Ring that lead him down the path of trying to take it away from Frodo...
Yes, yes. And just like everyone else it gave its moments of destruction to.

A.D. Skinner
The true question should be, why was Farimir able to withstand the Rings power, yet Borimir was not ???

DanieLs_4_Ever
Hmm..Good question, but wasnt it that he wasnt around the Ring as much as Boromir because Boromir was a part of the Fellowship and all.

A.D. Skinner
Interesting point of view....but in asking that, then why was Sam when he took the ring for such a short period effected by it in the way that he was. Now you might say it was different for him, since he actually had possesion of the ring, but Faramir knew what the Ring was capable of, and he in fact had thoughts of taking the ring to earn the love he so desperately wanted from his Father...Denethor.

DanieLs_4_Ever
Point taken! One of Tolkien's never ending mysteries I suppose! Boromir, at first, spoke of using the ring for Gondor's ruling, and also that of using it against Sauron. Which isnt possible. And I believe Faramir had the same thing in mind, as said in The Two Towers, and we also saw the way they looked at the ring.

A.D. Skinner
Though, now if Faramir was sent to join the Fellowship instead of Boromir...would Boromir allowed the Hobbits to leave as Faramir did ?

DanieLs_4_Ever
Hmm...Good Question. I dont think he'd give in so easily, but he'd eventually have to give into the subject, considering it was already final that the ring HAD to go to Mordor to be destroyed.

A.D. Skinner
Though it would have been interesting if Faramir would have accompanied the two Hobbits to Mordor instead of sending them on their way...

Being so close to Mordor...wouldn't it also be logical that Faramir know of a much easier way to get into it ?

I know I am steering away of the subject a little, but if the fellowship had not been broken...would Frodo still tried to keep the ring at the end with them all standing there ?

DanieLs_4_Ever
How true. I've never really thought of that. Thought it woul've been 10 companions instead of 9.
And I think Frodo would've, At the beginning of ROTK the corruption level was unbearable, and whilst he was standing in the fires of Mordor he turned back because it had finally taken him over fully. But then Gollum came in. It's just like at the beginning of FOTR, where as you saw Isildur tried to take the ring back while Elrond yelled for him to throw it in, Just like Sam did.

A.D. Skinner
Yes...but Isildur did keep the ring, even with Elrond telling him to throw it into the fire...

Would Frodo, having held onto the ring for so long, be able to throw it and destroy it, even with the companions telling him to do so....And if they were all there...would Gollum even be in the mix of things ?

DanieLs_4_Ever
And Frodo would've as well if it hadnt been for Gollum, and they threw themselves over, Gollum died with the ring, and Frodo hung his little hobbit soul in there. smile
And no, I dont believe Frodo to be able to do so, alone. And about Gollum, the answer could be yes and no. I mean we saw him in FOTR, he had been following them and he would've wriggled his way into the movies anyway (as did he in TTT) Because he longed for his precious.

A.D. Skinner
Another interesting question we can propose is what would have Boromir done if he would have captured Frodo and obtained the Ring from him...

DanieLs_4_Ever
I can only make theories of my own as to what he would've done, which is keep the ring and use it for the rule of Gondor.

A.D. Skinner
This is very true...and he would have fallen to Sauron, which would have come back to power and destroyed all of middle earth

DanieLs_4_Ever
And I shudder at the thought of what it would be like.

A.D. Skinner
Well if you like orcs...it wouldn't be oh so bad

DanieLs_4_Ever
True. But I despise them in my own way. Lol.

A.D. Skinner
But of course

DanieLs_4_Ever
"Filthy Orcses!"
But anywhom, hadnt Boromir have died, what do you think would've happened? Poor Boromir. Id made me sad when Aragorn knelt down and talked to him as he died.
"My brother, my Captain, my King."

exanda kane
Boromir has maximum ownage. In fact my favourite scene in the two towers is the one of Osgilliath, whereth his father doth threw his puny brother down

Darkman87
His father was bad if anyone could be bad. He sent Boromir away to have the ring for himself only. Poor Boromir wanted to stay with his people but his father's will would not be resistible. So he was not bad after all

iloveuhaldir
He was good, it was his father who killed him. How evil his father was....

Monthor
Boromir is good like Bilbo is good but the will of the One Ring corrupted Boromir until death took him

stringz
Boromir was a good guy, he was just brought up crappy by denethor and the ring was poisoning his mind, bit like gollum really... Boromir was wicked tho, great fighter and very strong, takin 3 of lurtz's arrows and still fightin for da hobbits! his bro is crap tho, if i was faramir i would of slapped denethor silly

pacmaniac
Originally posted by stringz
Boromir was a good guy, he was just brought up crappy by denethor and the ring was poisoning his mind, bit like gollum really... Boromir was wicked tho, great fighter and very strong, takin 3 of lurtz's arrows and still fightin for da hobbits! his bro is crap tho, if i was faramir i would of slapped denethor silly

well sed!!

lothlorien.elf
Originally posted by iloveuhaldir
He was good, it was his father who killed him. How evil his father was....

wrong .... he was killed by an uruk ... unless boromir's father suddenly turned into an Uruk-Hai ... ur wrong ... Denethor never killed anybody except himself.

Bar-en-Danwedh
BOROMIR=GOOD!!!

he just wasn't that good at being good... on one occasion.

how can you even ask?

Blaxican_Jedi
Bormoir was good, he just didn't have the as strong the mental discipline as Araagorn or others. Aragorn lived in wilderness most of his life, so his mind was rugged and he was not bent on power. Frodo lived in the happy go lucky shire, and he never thought about power and war, he was completely oblivious actually. Boromir was raised up in a world were power and control was a virtue and a nescesity for survival. As a captain of the defense of Gondor his mind was always bent on defending Gondor and finding ways to make his country more powerful. Gondor would have fallen much earlier if Gondor was as releaxed as the Shire. So Bormir was mostly doing his job. Given Time Aragorn would have succumbed to the ring as Frodo, Gollum, Isuildor, and Bormoir did. Gandalph didn't want to even tough the ring, becuasse he was already so powerful and deep in the arts of magic he feared that he would get attached to the ring. So you cannot really blame Bormir for trying to take the ring. He was thinking logicly. The plan was for 9 warriors (which had been reduced to eight) to SNEAK INTO MORDOR, the largest, most powerful realm in ME, and try to destroy a weapon so vastly powerful that it could turn the balance of viuctory to either side. Bormir thought that this was fooly, and even though he knew Frodo was T3H CH0S3N 1!!!111, Bormir thought that it would be safer to keep this WMD safely behind thousands of troops and barricades. Logical thinking. Even when he tried to take the ring Gondor's defense was still his main priority.

rockycairns
There wasnt any cold blooded evil in his blood he was just arrogant and wasnt as emotionally strong as Aragorn he fell to the lure of the ring that was a building story he was introduced as a good narrow minded man who was considered invincible by his people but he fell to the power of the ring and only realized what he had done when he was lying against a tree with three or four arrows sticking out of him then it all came back to haunt him before he made his peace with Aragorn Sean Bean was brilliant as Boromir his best role to date definately

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.