What happened to the movie-goers?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

criteek
Once upon a time, people enjoyed going to the movies, enjoyed them for what they were and knew better than to take them too seriously. But as the years went by, the people gradually became spoiled by the industry and they became less satisfied with the movie-going experience. The movies, in fact, had steadily improved over time, become more elaborate and extravagant every year, but the better they got, the less people were impressed. Then the internet came, and the all the worst traits of man were expressed there from the safety of their anonymity, and then the vile epithets were multiplied a thousandfold until there was scarcely a site anywhere where the inevitable "this movie sucked" couldn't be found. They began to imagine a golden age of the past where all the classic movies were great, each the pinnacle of writing, acting, and directing. Sadly this golden age never existed except in the minds of those who so urgently longed for it.

Somewhere along the line, man had lost his capacity to say "this is not my kind of movie", and emulating those staples of WGN television, began to perform a Siskel and Ebert routine. Like those two critics, they merely expressed an opinion without the benefit of in-depth knowledge of the film-making process. Almost overnight across the entire internet, the entire online population became knowledgeable about writing, acting, directing, etc. More knowledgeable, it would seem, than Hollywood itself, though in the realm of amateur film-making, most of these individuals were strangely absent. More importantly, the ability to objectively critique a movie never existed in them, and instead was replaced by an urgent need to foist one's favorite movies on others. Which is where we find ourselves now. Drowning amidst a sea of pretentious, would-be experts, who, thanks to the internet, are free to broadcast their mindless blather to all points on the globe.

I know I can always count on people in internet forums to bash my favorite movies or actors.

botankus
People like nothing more than bashing...anything!...in message forums. Try imdb.com if you don't believe me. That's a horrendous message board where 1% of the bashing is about the movie and the rest of it is all personal attacks.

Mist
too much technology makes it easy to biatch at certain things because we know its not real.

take star wars episode 3 and compare to episode 4,5 or 6. they digitise the actors in shots where they just dont need to, and it spoils the whole scene. i hate GL for doing that.

Imperial_Samura
Although it is odd how quickly opinion changes. When Star Wars: ROTS came out, and even War of the Worlds, everyone seems to have loved it, but after a few weeks all I hear are people complaining and "bashing" things like that.

I even found it with the game Rome:Total War at the games official forum. Opinion quickly changed from "greatest game ever" to people complaining about things like historical inaccuracy, ironic as the people doing the bashing clearly knew squat about history themselves. Damn ignorant gaming snobs.

But yeah, it seems that people find it easier to attack something then defend it, and it also appears that many people today think it makes them cool if they are able to deride and complain about something, anything, no matter how good or bad.

Cinemaddiction
If I don't like something, I'll tell ya. If I've got irrefutable evidence that its less than average to back a negative opinion, I'll share it. I for one, don't bash.

Buuuuut..people are going to have opinions, you have to acknowledge that some of them may even be valid and move on. You can't change one or two people's views, so why hold a vendetta against the entire opinionated internet.

Make sense?

naybean
why go to the movies whe you've got a widescreen and illegal dvd at home.... especially in the UK going movies is expensive.

Darth Nauj
ticket prices, food, drinks etc are way to expensive. then most movies these days suck. its mostly dumb comedy, action and of course the popular word SEQUELS. I mean most of them are ok but some just plain suck stick out tongue

botankus
^^ Don't forget remakes of movies and even remakes of television shows (i.e. Dukes of Hazzard and Honeymooners) that are way off from the original premise.

Darth Nauj
^^yeah your right I forgot about that messed

Fëanor
but you gotta admit: stadium seating with plush chairs, the higher than normal quality of the sound, all these things that theaters do and make for your viewing pleasure is worth the price to just go out and have some fun, no matter how good or bad a movie is....

or am i off the subject huh

Oswald Kenobi
The truth is movies HAVE gotten worse. Take any of the classics from the 30's to the 60's and compare them with today. Today's movies either have to force a message down your throat or use explosions and special effects to hide poor writing. In the golden age of cinema, movies were fun. I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's again recently and was amazed at how much I enjoyed watching it, despite the silliness of the plot. It was fun. 80's movies are the same. Not much of a point, but fun to watch. Hollywood has lost its way.

Cinemaddiction
There *are* movies out there that can be enjoyed.

Originally posted by naybean
why go to the movies whe you've got a widescreen and illegal dvd at home.... especially in the UK going movies is expensive.

Because, I like the theatregoing experience, and I'll forfeit my space in Hell to all those who buy bootlegs and download films.

Originally posted by Darth Nauj
ticket prices, food, drinks etc are way to expensive. then most movies these days suck. its mostly dumb comedy, action and of course the popular word SEQUELS. I mean most of them are ok but some just plain suck stick out tongue

Nobodies forcing you to buy snacks, ya know? Eat before you go. You're there to see a film, not stuff your face. I think people who eat in theatres are inconsiderate, honestly. Besides, Hollywood's not the place to look for entertaining movies anymore.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Oswald Kenobi
The truth is movies HAVE gotten worse. Take any of the classics from the 30's to the 60's and compare them with today. Today's movies either have to force a message down your throat or use explosions and special effects to hide poor writing. In the golden age of cinema, movies were fun. I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's again recently and was amazed at how much I enjoyed watching it, despite the silliness of the plot. It was fun. 80's movies are the same. Not much of a point, but fun to watch. Hollywood has lost its way.

Sad but true.Yeah thats pretty much the way movies have become these days. sad

botankus
I like going to the movies. We go about once a month. We usually hit Chick-Fil-A before the show but still get a large popcorn and a large drink. It costs me $30 for all of that, but I don't care because it's still cheaper than going to Outback.

Darth Nauj
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
There *are* movies out there that can be enjoyed.

Because, I like the theatregoing experience, and I'll forfeit my space in Hell to all those who buy bootlegs and download films.

Nobodies forcing you to buy snacks, ya know? Eat before you go. You're there to see a film, not stuff your face. I think people who eat in theatres are inconsiderate, honestly. Besides, Hollywood's not the place to look for entertaining movies anymore.

Nobody is stuffing my face bud stick out tongue its the fat obese people out there who are always hungry, unlike me I usually get a drink or popcorn but anyways the ticket prices are still to expensive.

botankus
Going to the movies is a priviledge; something done for fun. I don't do it often and nothing's going to keep me from buying popcorn and a drink! Even if it's $5 apiece, which it is.

botankus
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
I think people who eat in theatres are inconsiderate, honestly.

I can see your point. However, there is a BIG difference in someone munching on popcorn and someone fiddling through plastic wrap every 5 seconds to get their stupid candy out!

Darth Nauj
Exactly I only eat my popcorn and drink my coke coke

Capt_Fantastic
I'm not big on going to the movies. I tend to fall asleep during movies that I don't really find interesting. Given the fact that most movies are boring and have no style, that means I fall asleep at most movies.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.