top rock bands of 7o's and 80's

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cking
I was wondering who was the top rock band?

Darth Revan
I can tell you who it's not, and it's not Bon Jovi. smile

Oh, and btw, who are areosmith? Never heard of 'em.

StinkFist462
is this a serious poll?

Cinemaddiction
Haha..Foreigner. Where the hell are Firehouse and Loverboy? mad

Smallville
Originally posted by Darth Revan
Oh, and btw, who are areosmith? Never heard of 'em.

A cheap AEROSMITH cover band perhaps.

Lord_Andres
C-Dic your a Firehouse fan? AWESOME!, but theres just one thing Firehouse came in 1990, so they aint 80's, loverboy on the otherhand are 80's, but if your asking about popularity the tilte gose to Bon Jovi and Guns N' Roses for the 80's I'd say, 70's though I have no clue.

Darth Revan
I voted for Metallica. Just cos they're Metallica.

Bardock42
the smiths all the way...on that list Zeppelin

SlipknoT
Metallica...Even though they werent around in the 70's...

MildPossession
I only like Zep, Stones and some Metallica songs in that list.

SlipknoT
Originally posted by Lord_Andres
but if your asking about popularity the tilte gose to Bon Jovi and Guns N' Roses for the 80's Are you joking? Bon Jovi were never as popular as GNR and GNR were and are not to this Day as popular as Metallica.....And C-dic was being sarcastic....

ElectricBugaloo
black sabbath

cking
yes metallica was around in the seventies. enter sandman was recorded in 1976.

StinkFist462
Originally posted by cking
yes metallica was around in the seventies. enter sandman was recorded in 1976.

.... you are officially dumb. metallicas first album came out in 1983. why would they write AND record a song 7 years earlier and finally release it 15 years later?

cking
that is what you think. areosmith was very popular hit wise. the first hit was in 1971 "dream on" which was about the band going to break up but never did. 1978 "walk this way" 1983 sweet emotions" "love in an elevator" was in the mid eighties. "rag doll" late eighties. "dude looks like a lady was in the late eighties also. There are many more hits, but too many to list and areosmith was the only few bands that never broke up and their last album was in 2001 which had one good song "jaded." Steve Tyler was the only lead singer.

StinkFist462
wtf are you talking about? aerosmith and metallica are two WAY different bands and what you said had absolutely nothing to do with the facts i have listed.

cking
I have read in the almanac and it said that metallica had hits in the seventies but not much. I'm just going by what the almanac had to say about rock hits of the seventies and it said enter sandman was a hit in the mid seventies.

StinkFist462
metallica was even around in the 70's.

cking
let me check in the almanac then

StinkFist462
check away

cking
I have found it but strange it didn't have a year by it, so i must have looked from somewhere else then. yes, aerosmith and metallica were very different and had success. metallic had many hits but areosmith has been around since the late sixties. areosmith was an up and coming band in the seventies and they reached its peak in the eighties, the nineties were different. people got tired of long haired dudes with exotic clothes. So the long hair era ended in the early nineties, but aerosmith did not die and they released a popular album nine lives in 1997 and "pink" was the best song on the album. later they slumped and really wasn't heard of until 2001 with a new album I forgot the name of it but they had totally new songs and the old ones wasn't one it but "jaded" was a good song. Steve Tyler is now in his sixties and still he hasn't broken up his band yet. I don't know too much about metallica but they broke up and they went into rehab and was released last year. I was just wondering how long they they go back and if ever. areosmith has been playing for over 35 years. I don't know much of their early history but they brought a new influence of music in the early seventies.

StinkFist462
i dont give a shit about aerosmith. i dont even know why you wasted your time typing all that useless crap.

cking
it isn't useless it is good facts. aerosmith was a very successful band and do deserve to have some facts about them.

StinkFist462
they suck.

cking
not hit wise they don't.

StinkFist462
hit wise doesnt matter. there are a lot of underground un-mainstream bands that are very good but they dont have billboard hits. does this mean they suck?

cking
they had more smash hits than you think.

cking
no, they may have one of two good hits, but areosmith had many and I have a burn CD that has 15 of his greatest hits and still I don't have all of his hits. some bands may have a great album and it may last a long time but if they don't make another good one then whats the point of having a band, your going to go bankrupt because they could never produce another album like it. areosmith kept having album after album with hit after hit until people were sick of them. Kansas is another good example of a once popular band with just one album.

StinkFist462
Originally posted by StinkFist462
hit wise doesnt matter. there are a lot of underground un-mainstream bands that are very good but they dont have billboard hits. does this mean they suck?

hh?
hits aren't important. 50 cent makes hits, and look at him, he's a walking talentless idiot.

cking
besides areosmith was too good to have a crowd boo at them.

cking
so is areosmith.

StinkFist462

SlipknoT
yes metallica was around in the seventies. enter sandman was recorded in 1976. .........hysterical It came out in 1992

StinkFist462
lmao yes i know.

cking
well thats good. sorry, I must have looked at another band.

StinkFist462
again. you are officially dumb.

cking
what was metallica's last hit?

StinkFist462
what was aerosmiths last hit?

cking
I don't so, I gave alot of information on aerosmith doesn't mean so and if I don't know much about metallica doesn't mean so either. that is why I'm asking you guys about metallica since you know so much about them.

cking

cking
"jaded" was the song.

SlipknoT
what was metallica's last hit? St. Anger in 2002....

StinkFist462
what was more succesful. St. Anger or Jaded.

cking
I don't know, it really doesn't matter. but I have heard jaded more, but I never really heard of st. anger on the radio that much.

cking
that was before I heard of metallica, I probably never recognized them.

StinkFist462
good job. aerosmith sucks.

cking
that is what you think because you never heard of them and that is why you say they are. you have to know their history to say that they are, but you don't know so you say they aren't any good because you don't have anything else to say.

StinkFist462
you just told me there history, and who HASNT heard aerosmith.

Bardock42
.... you are officially dumb.

Deathblow
This thread is just horrible doh

Led Zeppelin are easily the best out of that list.

cindy8219
I think you should have done two seperate threads...

anyway, I voted for Led Zepplin.

StinkFist462
Bardcok--- was that for me or him?

ElectricBugaloo
Aerosmith had one really good CD (Toys In THe Attic) before they became parodies of themselves.

cking
it would have to come down to areosmith and led zeppelin. zeppelin had one smash hit "stairway to heaven" which was in the seventies. that song was hard to beat during its time. none of areosmith's songs was as good as that. led zeppelin was a Little older band and they started in the mid sixties. they band broke up in the early eighties after their lead singer died of alcohol poisoning in a drinking binge. when he died so did led zeppelin. This fate happened to another band that wasn't considered a rock group. lynard skynard was a popular band in the seventies until in 1977 a plane crash in a woods changed everything. Ronnie van was the lead singer and song writer for the group, he died and so did others and after that lynard skynard was never heard of again. led zeppelin was a hot group in the seventies while aerosmith was descent. but when zeppelin broke up, areosmith took over and the eighties was the decade for areosmith.

ElectricBugaloo
cking, please come back when you know what you are talking about.

nope, he's still alive. Bonham, however, is dead.

1) Zeppelin was the most popular band of the 70s - and not just because of Stairway to HEaven
2) Stairway to Heaven isn't that good a song. Black Sabbath, and actually Zeppelin themselves, had a lot of better songs.

Lynyrd Skynyrd is considered a rock band. They are the most popular Southern Rock band ever. Aerosmith disappeared in the 80s until "Walk This Way". So the 80s weren't exactly 'the decade for areosmith'. btw, it's aerosmith.

General Zodiac
Where are the Eagles?

StinkFist462
it would have to come down to areosmith and led zeppelin. zeppelin had one smash hit "stairway to heaven" which was in the seventies. that song was hard to beat during its time. none of areosmith's songs was as good as that. led zeppelin was a Little older band and they started in the mid sixties. they band broke up in the early eighties after their lead singer died of alcohol poisoning in a drinking binge. when he died so did led zeppelin. This fate happened to another band that wasn't considered a rock group. lynard skynard was a popular band in the seventies until in 1977 a plane crash in a woods changed everything. Ronnie van was the lead singer and song writer for the group, he died and so did others and after that lynard skynard was never heard of again. led zeppelin was a hot group in the seventies while aerosmith was descent. but when zeppelin broke up, areosmith took over and the eighties was the decade for areosmith.

just stop. your only embarrassing yourself and you are COMPLETELY wrong on 99% of the things you speak of that are "facts". so just hush and go back to your corner.

cking
wrong, lynard synard was not completely a rock band but country in some categories. yes, they were the most successful southern rock band in history, but they wouldn't make in the eighties because they would have to change the style of their music in order to keep up with non southern rock bands. they never did in the 70's because they had no need to because they were very new and nobody every heard of them before, but int the eighties everyone would be sick of their music because they would never upgrade it to sound eighties. never would never do that because it wouldn't be southern rock anymore, they could but it would never work and they would never be that successful. stairway to heaven was a major hit back then even if were don't agree on that, but truly it was.aerosmith changed also and it proved successful and it not they would have died away. wrong, areosmith had more hits in the eighties than any other decade. aerosmith ha been through the sixties, seventies, eighties, nineties, and up today. led zeppelin has been through the sixties and the seventies. I wouldn't say that zeppelin and black sabbath had more hits. that is based on your opinion if you think have more hits. on my radio station plays aerosmith all the time and less zeppelin, strange? wouldn't zeppelin be played more because they had better songs based on your facts? aerosmith simply had more hits because they simply changed their music when society changed over time, some bands couldn't do that because they only knew their music and nothing else. aerosmith did but not without a cost. they had success in the nineties but still not like the eighties, the nine lives album in 1997 still sounded like it was recorded in the eighties. despite it did have hits like "pink." bands simply had to changed when society changes because people would be sick of listening to music that sounded like seventies when it is in the eighties. I have no never heard of zeppelin in the eighties, what happened to them then? shouldn't they be the best in the eighties? I guess not. if it came down to an overall all poll of the people in this country who live through the seventies and the eighties then it would go to aerosmith, only because they were heard of the most and not zeppelin despite they were a hot band in the seventies but disappeared in the eighties.

SlipknoT
it would have to come down to areosmith and led zeppelin. zeppelin had one smash hit "stairway to heaven" which was in the seventies. that song was hard to beat during its time. none of areosmith's songs was as good as that. led zeppelin was a Little older band and they started in the mid sixties. they band broke up in the early eighties after their lead singer died of alcohol poisoning in a drinking binge. when he died so did led zeppelin. Where did you get this shit? One Smash Hit? Wrong. The Lead singer dying of Alcohal Poisoning? Wrong.

cking
that isn't what the biography on TV said.

alcoholicpoet

Stairway to Heaven their only hit? Appareantly you've never heard Communication Breakdown, or Kashmir.

alcoholicpoet
And, on a side note,

http://askmen.co.uk/men/entertainment_100/pictures_100/robert_plant/robert_plant_150c.jpg

Robert Plant, lead vocals for Led Zeppelin, alive and breathing in the 90s. He didn't die.

alcoholicpoet
people got tired of long haired dudes with exotic clothes. So the long hair era ended in the early nineties,

All the members of Nirvana had long hair, and they practicly defined the rock of the early nineties.

Bardock42
Bardcok--- was that for me or him?

For him of course...what did you think....

Korri
Originally posted by Darth Revan
I voted for Metallica. Just cos they're Metallica.

droolio

and by the way please learn how to spell Led Zeppelin no expression.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Korri
droolio

and by the way please learn how to spell Led Zeppelin no expression.

Or Aerosmith for that matter...

ElectricBugaloo
i think that cking is just someone f ing with us. that's the only possible explanation.

cking
I sure was.

StinkFist462
Originally posted by ElectricBugaloo
i think that cking is just someone f ing with us. that's the only possible explanation.

i like my explanation better. hes officially dumb.

eggmayo
Originally posted by alcoholicpoet
And, on a side note,

http://askmen.co.uk/men/entertainment_100/pictures_100/robert_plant/robert_plant_150c.jpg

Robert Plant, lead vocals for Led Zeppelin, alive and breathing in the 90s. He didn't die. John Henry Bonham, the drummer, was the guy that died in the alcohol overdose.

To add some of Led's 'only' hits:

Over the Hills and Far Away
Kashmir
The Ocean
Heartbreaker
Ramble On
White Summer/Black Mountain Side
Black Dog
Ten Years Gone

Just a small list, mainly because I don't really rate songs like Communication Breakdown and Whole Lotta Love.

cking
no you are a dummy stinkyfish462

Korri
Originally posted by Bardock42
Or Aerosmith for that matter...

People should really re-take english cry

dooders1989
ac/dc were the best

StinkFist462
no you are a dummy stinkyfish462

im not the one saying the most random and idiotic things and claiming they are facts roll eyes (sarcastic)

ElectricBugaloo
Originally posted by Korri
People should really re-take english cry
i wasn't aware that they taught people how to spell aerosmith in english classes nowadays.

cking
does it really matter.

Darth Revan
Yes. no expression

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go shoot myself. The number of ridiculous or just annoying statements has scarred me permanently.no expression

cking
I just looked up lyrics.com and I have found out that led zeppelin had only three albums compared to aerosmith has 10 or more. the last of zeppelin's albums was in 1971. only three albums! I thought they were great in the seventies? there wasn't a greatest hits album either.

cking
they were were more like greatest rock band of the sixties.

Darth Revan
I just looked up lyrics.com and I have found out that led zeppelin had only three albums compared to aerosmith has 10 or more. the last of zeppelin's albums was in 1971. only three albums! I thought they were great in the seventies? there wasn't a greatest hits album either.

Led Zeppelin... Only three albums... Can't... Think... Augh... The stupidity... And they DO have a greatest hits album, wouldn't be surprised if they had several... Gee, I wonder why that wouldn't show up on lyrics.com, maybe because all the songs on the greatest hits album are songs that they put on other albums? roll eyes (sarcastic)

cking
no, lyrics.com only gave three. three! here are the dates. 1969 the first the second of the same year, then 1971 and that was it. they disappeared in the seventies. I looked up areosmith and had 10 or more albums and one greatest hits in 1980. I tried to see they had any other albums besides that but there wasn't.

StinkFist462
Led Zeppelin I - 1969
Led Zeppelin II - 1969
Led Zeppelin III - 1970
Led Zeppelin IV (Four Signs) - 1971
Houses Of The Holy - 1973
Physical Graffiti - 1975
Presence - 1976
The Song Remains The Same - 1976
In Through The Out Door - 1979
Coda - 1982
Box Set/Remasters - 1990
Profiled - 1990
Box Set II - 1993
Complete Studio Recordings - 1993
BBC Sessions - 1997
Early Days/Latter Days - 1999
Live DVD - 2003
How The West Was Won - 2003

http://www.led-zeppelin.com/disc.html
how bout doing some research before opening your damn mouth.

StinkFist462
I looked up areosmith and had 10 or more albums and one greatest hits in 1980..

they had 3 greatest hits albums in 1980.

Greatest Hits - 1980
Classics Live - 1986
Classics Live II - 1986

you dont even know what your talking about when it comes to your "favorite" band. so from now on just stfu.

Darth Revan
no, lyrics.com only gave three. three! here are the dates. 1969 the first the second of the same year, then 1971 and that was it. they disappeared in the seventies. I looked up areosmith and had 10 or more albums and one greatest hits in 1980. I tried to see they had any other albums besides that but there wasn't.

Here's an interesting way of looking at things: lyrics.com is a site for LYRICS! eek! Not a list of albums by different bands msn-oh

cking
not just lyrics, they will do albums of different groups also.

cking
yes, areosmith did have greatest hits live in 1986, I have already looked that up but I should have included it with the 1980 one.

StinkFist462
aerosmith and led zep had the same amount of albums in the 70's. hmmm who was more succesful?

StinkFist462
http://www.riaa.com/gp/bestsellers/topartists.asp

Led Zep - 107.5 Million
Aerosmith - 65.5 Million

hmmm..... after their "3" albums acording to you they sure as hell sold a lot compared to aerosmiths' "10 or more albums and one greatest hits"

Darth Revan
not just lyrics, they will do albums of different groups also.

Jesus, how ****ing dense are you? Obviously the site doesn't show ALL albums by ALL bands, because it only had 3 albums by Led Zeppelin listed. Ask yourself, is it logical that a band with 3 albums could be considered, without a doubt, one of the top 10 greatest and most influential bands of all time? Christ. roll eyes (sarcastic)

cking
I looked up askjeeves.com and it said that areosmith had 17 while led had 12.

StinkFist462
and you should read my other post up there. that shows Led Zeps entire discography. point being, cking doesnt know shit and should shut the **** up.

cking
yeah, I looked up that site also and it was very interesting. Elvis was only second to the Beatles.

cking
whoa! slow down stinkfish462. you don't have to be that harsh, of course I have seen alot worse.

Darth Revan
EDIT

StinkFist462
EDIT

Cinemaddiction
"Worthy". Lay the **** off, both of you. Just because he's not following doesn't give either of you the right to lay into him. I'm really ****ing sick of this plague of users with these god complexes and elitist attitudes that are literal CANCERS of the Music forums as of late.

Apparently, he's confused. Give him the facts, and then leave it alone. NOBODY has the right to verbally abuse someone so maliciously as you guys have done, regardless of someone elses inability to comprehend immediately. Had you guys been a little more CIVIL to begin with, provided the factual information to make your point in the first post, then maybe we wouldn't have to go through this shit. Don't let your frustration cloud your ability to rationally debate a topic.

I'm not issuing warnings, especially since it's not my jurisdiction, but I can suggest you get back on topic, lay off with the insults, and take the information provided to make an educated reply for future references in regards to the subject.

Deathblow
Absolutely confused

Getting your point across is fair enough, but too far is too far. You have to remember that there is actually a person behind the username and sig, and that person might actually be really offended by these kinds of comments.

Clearly, DR and Stinkfist are right, and cking is wrong, but it's really nobody's fault and that's the end of it. Back OT please, and maybe you guys should read the note I wrote up when I first became mod again. You might have forgotten, but it still applies.

BackFire
This is a warning to all involved, anymore name calling/insults and you will be banned.

StinkFist462
I looked up askjeeves.com and it said that areosmith had 17 while led had 12.

at least read the list of Led Zepppelin albums i put up AND a link to their OFFICIAL website with all their releases. you could at least do that instead of arguing about something that you have already lost.

http://www.aerosmith.com/discography.html

aerosmith website discography shows 23. point being askjeeves.com is a liar (on some occasions)

Mandorallen
QUEEN...

I LOVE THEM

cking
yeah, they were really good in the late and early eighties. When I listen to them I always think of Wayne's world for some reason. I can remember the mountain dew commercials that involved queen and it was very strange. They were played alot in that movie miracle that involved the 1980 hockey team that beat the Russians for the first time since the sixties. They were played alot in some hockey movies for some reason, maybe they do sound like hockey music.

04wayne
Out of them, Rolling Stones because I don't really like the others. U2 should be there but then again they are the best rock band ever

Alpha Centauri
U2 best rock band ever? Wait...........Bono, is that you?

Zeppelin for me.

-AC

LiveAndLetDie
Zeppelin, off of that list..
And are you meaning best of favorite? My favorite isn`t even on that list (GN'R) but Zeppelin is the best

el_barto
I put Led Zeppelin, but where the hell is The Who, The Kinks, and many other good bands from that era? Half of this is crap.

Pezmerga
Well My vote would be for Queen, but its not on the list so I went for The Rolling Stones.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.