VOTE! Independent Cinema Forum?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cinemaddiction
As you all know, as I movie buff, I'm always excited to potentially expand the MDF/Movie Genre forums to capacitate fans of all genres of film. As always, it's YOUR feedback that matters most, so I'm calling on all fans of Indies to band together and make your voice heard.

Early in the developmental stages of the Movie Genres forum, I had suggested, as a back-up forum, that we introduce an Independent cinema forum where we could discuss our favorite indies, directors, upcoming films, etc. I've been taking in a lot of indies as of late, and was curious as to weither or not the support is there for such a forum?

So, if you're interested, please be sure to drop a line in this thread, include and questions or concerns, and should the demand be there, I'm going to present this thread in hopes us Indie fans can have a place to congregate!

Thanks, gang!

- Cory

MildPossession
I'm up for an independent films forum, I mostly just watch indies anyway, so will be an interesting forum.

tabby999
while i dont get to see much in the way of indie cinema thanks to not only my distance from any major cinema or arthouse sreenings, it'd be cool to know about up coming ones i might be able to get on DVD, tops idea cheif

Morning_Glory
vote

ragesRemorse
You have my vote. I truly enjoy all Cinema, and especially Indie films. Many times i rely soley on trial and error when it comes to indie flicks. I think it would be quite usefull for people like to have a forum of it's own dedicated to indie movies, but is the interest that broad here? I guess it would probably get more action than the horror thread though sad I'm going to see the flick Kontroll tomorrow at a local arts theater, any one catch that movie? Heard it's pretty good.

Myth
I vote no. I hate having to check multiple sections just to find movies when they may be in one. For one thing, it also doesn't get word out for great independent films to those who won't check that section.

Cinemaddiction
People that care enough about Independent films will check the forum. Just like they do with Foreign, Sci Fi, Animations, and Horror. Yerssot said the same thing about the "Genres' section and how it was going to backfire, Sci Fi in particular. Look at it now. Besides, if I/we get my way, I'll build and maintain the Indie forum just like I nutured the Sci Fi forums. The day they opened I started about 20 threads for discussion. With so much literal shit in Hollywood, an indie forum would be a real good way to get people into some REAL films.

Myth
Well I like things like foreign films, but don't watch them so much that I would spend much time checking out the foreign film topic. I only go in there when I have input on one myself. Therefore, I am not hearing about the good ones that I haven't seen. If it were to be posted in the MDF, I would be more likely to see it and click into it to see what it is about. But I don't go way out of my way in the foreign films to look for something I have never heard of, it just happens when you come across something. If there was an Independent Cinema Forum, it would be similar to me. I would check it out when I'm really bored or when I already have a specific one in mind so a lot of great movies will slip by me. If it were all posted in one area like MDF, I would see it and check it out on my daily glances of the MDF. It gets ridiculous when you have to check every little sub-genre. Especially, when it isn't a genre you go out of your way for but wouldn't mind watching every once in a while.

BackFire
I wouldn't be against it.

The Tired Hiker
I'd dig it just because I'm sick of taking chances on seeing indie films because they mostly suck. So, If I can go to a forum where everyone is ranting and raving about some indie film that i must see, then yeah, I'd vote for that. But I probably won't be one of those guys who goes and sees an indie film just to hang out in the indie forum and chat about it. No, I'll just eat rice instead.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Myth
Especially, when it isn't a genre you go out of your way for but wouldn't mind watching every once in a while.

If the support is there...*shrugs shoulders*..I don't wanna deny myself or anyone else that's a bigger fan of indies than mainstream that little perk. If it's not, won't have to worry about it, the thing is that indie threads get trampled in a generic movie forum such as this.

Myth
Alright, but I feel that this will reduce any chances of spreading the word of good films to a wider audience.

Cinemaddiction
Honestly, I don't think people care enough, and if they did, they would post more often. Then again, the same could have been said for the Foreign film section, and it took off once it was established. People just need a little motivation.

G.P
Actually 80% of the movies I watch could be called independant. The phrase don't even make sense in my head for one reason : we're less "reached" here by movies made by the hollywood studios just to entertain, so all the films can be treated equally (the Hollywood ones being just more simple-minded).

I wouldn't be against it.

Cinemaddiction
Independent films here in the U.S. are those released by the following studios for example:

Focus Features
FOX Searchlight
Sony Pictures Classics
Lions Gate
Warner Independent
Miramax

Myth
Holy crap! Thats considered independent? In that case I will most likely spend a lot of time in ICF. However, it still seems unnecessary to separate movies based on who releases them.

botankus
For example, I know Saw was Lion's Gate. I wouldn't want to go to three forums to try to find all three threads on the movie.

Cinemaddiction
"Saw" would only be in Horror, obviously.

Myth
But things like American Psycho has jumped around. I have seen in MDF and horror. Some consider it a horror when it is only really a horror based on the storyline, but not really how it is filmed. Therefore it only "kind of" fits in horror and is posted in both threads.

bakerboy
Im agree, the independent cinema is very interesting. Nowaydays, 80% of the best movies are independient, only see movies like lost in traslation, 21 grams or sideways. Good idea, cinemaadiccition. You can count with my vote.

But by the way, how on hell coul you point " on the waterfront" only with a 7.5??? That is one of the best movies ever.

Myth
I would have gave it the same rating (weird, I watched Green Butchers and came back and noticed the CA did too, and now I watched On the Waterfront yesterday and CA watched it recently as well).

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by bakerboy
Im agree, the independent cinema is very interesting. Nowaydays, 80% of the best movies are independient, only see movies like lost in traslation, 21 grams or sideways. Good idea, cinemaadiccition. You can count with my vote.

But by the way, how on hell coul you point " on the waterfront" only with a 7.5??? That is one of the best movies ever.

I gave it a 7 until the 3rd act came along and Brando took on Johnny Friendly, then tacked on another point 5. Marlon Brando carried the movie, and the "Contender" scene stood out obviously, but the supporting actors were stiff, the plot was jumpy, and it was Brando's improv that made the difference, which means what was scripted apparently didn't work for him. The James Lipton interview on the DVD really made him come off as kissing Elia Kazan's ass big time. Kazan's a great director, but I think "East of Eden" was a lot more convincing.

amsedal
I'm new here, but thought I could pipe in too.

I vote yes for an indie forum. Not only would it help us discuss them, it will also help us find ones we might be interested in! Every time I see an indie film I pretty much like it, but it was never advertised and so I'd never knew to pick it up unless somebody else recommended it to me!

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Tired Hiker
No, I'll just eat rice instead.

what kind of rice, fried or steamed? rice rules.

The Biker Scout
Sure why not?

I'm up for an independent films forum...

big grin

papabeard
i think this would be a good idea

bakerboy
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
I gave it a 7 until the 3rd act came along and Brando took on Johnny Friendly, then tacked on another point 5. Marlon Brando carried the movie, and the "Contender" scene stood out obviously, but the supporting actors were stiff, the plot was jumpy, and it was Brando's improv that made the difference, which means what was scripted apparently didn't work for him. The James Lipton interview on the DVD really made him come off as kissing Elia Kazan's ass big time. Kazan's a great director, but I think "East of Eden" was a lot more convincing.

Well, im agree in part with you, brando carried the movie and carries with some script faults in the movie but the supporting cast was great. L j cobb was great, as karl malden, rod steiger or eva marie saint were. I loved east of eden too, but i think that this movie is little better.

Good thing that you liked a streetcar named desiree, it was another masterpiece.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.