Which one takes more endurance-Marathon bike riding or riding in a dirt bike race?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mr.smiley
I think beyond a shadow of a doubt riding a bike marathon would take more endurance,but two of my friends disagree.What do you guys think?

Echuu
I think your two friends are high.

A dirt bike does the pedaling for you by using a motor. Bike marathon you have to do all the pedaling yourself.

mr.smiley
Well they weren't high,but they where realy .Their is no way it takes more endurance,physicaly or mental to ride a dirt bike.I just don't see the logic behind it.

ElectricBugaloo
Bike marathon?

mr.smiley
Yeah.A straight out marathon.

How could anyone belive it takes more endurance to ride a dirt bike?

ElectricBugaloo
You mean like ridign 26.2 miles? Cause that's not that far on a bike.

botankus
The last time I rode a dirt bike on an off-road trail for only like 4 miles, I could not sit comfortably for three days.

mr.smiley
Now image a bike.I think if you put your average bike rider against your average dirt bike rider and had them in a gym running the bike rider would last longer.I belive this because I think the bike rider uses more of his cardio vascular when riding his bike.

Swanky-Tuna
Do marathon bike riders' nipples bleed like marathon runners? 'Cause I don't think that happens in dirt biking.

ragesRemorse
It takes endurance to get back up from crashing on a dirt bike, that is about the only shred of logic that i can see that you friends were possibly using. Just simply tell your friends to ride 10 miles on a mountain bike, and ride ten miles on a dirt bike and then ask them that question.

mr.smiley
well i brought that up and they said it's two different things (yet they've never been in a marathon bike ride).I brought up my opion on if they raced around a circle on foot and then they said dirt bike racers had more mental endurance and then we went from their.

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by Echuu

A dirt bike does the pedaling for you by using a motor. Bike marathon you have to do all the pedaling yourself. yes

KidRock
Originally posted by mr.smiley
Now image a bike.I think if you put your average bike rider against your average dirt bike rider and had them in a gym running the bike rider would last longer.I belive this because I think the bike rider uses more of his cardio vascular when riding his bike.

No shit.

ragesRemorse
well i brought that up and they said it's two different things (yet they've never been in a marathon bike ride).I brought up my opion on if they raced around a circle on foot and then they said dirt bike racers had more mental endurance and then we went from their.

Well, you could always introduce science. Naturally your boady is going to exhurt much more enregy on a manual powered bike rather than a motorized one. If you cant jog marathon distance, your not going to be able to complete the marathon on a bike. This is coming from Dave merish, a friend of mine who cmpeted in an iron man competition. your body doesnt have to be conditioned in dirt bike competitions unless your going to do tricks. As for the mental aspect, that is merely opinion. Some may say it takes top mental discipline to finish a 50 mile bike marathon, others may say it takes none. however, your body is going to feel EVERY pedal that you make on a mountain bike, and what your body feels your mind registers. That to some could be severe mental strain,especially while each pedal takes a toll on your body.

hotsauce6548

A dirt bike does the pedaling for you by using a motor. Bike marathon you have to do all the pedaling yourself.

Exactly.

mr.smiley
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Well, you could always introduce science. Naturally your boady is going to exhurt much more enregy on a manual powered bike rather than a motorized one. If you cant jog marathon distance, your not going to be able to complete the marathon on a bike. This is coming from Dave merish, a friend of mine who cmpeted in an iron man competition. your body doesnt have to be conditioned in dirt bike competitions unless your going to do tricks. As for the mental aspect, that is merely opinion. Some may say it takes top mental discipline to finish a 50 mile bike marathon, others may say it takes none. however, your body is going to feel EVERY pedal that you make on a mountain bike, and what your body feels your mind registers. That to some could be severe mental strain,especially while each pedal takes a toll on your body.

All bring that up to them.

Oswald Kenobi
I think beyond a shadow of a doubt riding a bike marathon would take more endurance,but two of my friends disagree.What do you guys think?

If you are talking about an endurance race like the Tour de France, your friends are completely wrong. A dirt bike race simply doesn't travel the same distance. I could see their arguement if they are talking about a time trial on flat ground, but an actual endurance cycling event takes much more physical and mental endurance than racing around a dirt track.

Imperial_Samura
Yes. I am yet to meet a single dirt biker who could possibly ride a push bike in something like a marathon level race, and even hope to place. They quite possibly might have the stamina and endurance to finish it, but to actually *race* it would be beyond many I would think. It's a whole different ball game from a dirt bike race.

cking
mountain biking because it is more legs than anything. dirt bikes was more who could make it to the hospital first.

mr.smiley
Well I guess i'm not crazy,but my friends sure are.

closeracing
Ok i am going to go out on a limb here and say none of you who posted ride dirt bikes competitively. If you are comparing running 26 miles to riding 26 miles down a dirt road or in a field then running is MUCH harder, no contest there. But a motorcycle marathon would be like the baja 1000, where speeds reach 115 mph, much of the terrain is treacherous, you ride at night at speed, as well as during the day, and the race lasts 32 hours. I realize most teams split the riding between 2 riders but this is still quite a feat pedaling or not. I would venture to say there are more people who could run a marathon than there are people who can finish the baja 1000 or even the 500.
True not many motocrossers could ride competitively in the tour de France, but not many tour de France racers could make the main event in a supercross either. The conditioning is much different, but each sport requires equal dedication and training.
I have watched mountain bike races and competed in enduro type races, my sons race motocross and my wife is a mountain biker,
and competitors in all these sports have my respect.
Just my .02

forumcrew

your friends are way off, person powered vs an engine.

FunkMaster Flex
Is the dirt bike race an endurance race, or a closed circut race?

Dr_Joshua_Keyes
I'm gonna say the mountain bike one..since you go over rocky places and stuff..and hills..XD

rickyduck

Endurance, not strength, I've tried dirtbiking and found it bloody exhausting, more than cycling.

meep-meep
Originally posted by ElectricBugaloo
You mean like ridign 26.2 miles? Cause that's not that far on a bike.

I believe bike marathons are somewhere in the range of at least a hundred miles.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.