An Interesting Theory

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RedAlertv2
After reading the thread I recently started about China I realized, not for the first time, how much the US depends on other countries. Many of its products are made in China, not to mention countries like Saudi Arabia have vast sums of money invested in the US market. So theoretically, if the countries the US depend on took their money out of our system and, in the case of China, stop producing for us, could it strike an economical blow to the US big enough to possibly make it very weak, or at least much less formidable, or is there some way for the US to bounce back from such an occurence?

Imperial_Samura
Theoretically, according to a lecturer I once heard, if the nations that the US has a heavy foreign debt to were to pull the plug, then the worse case scenario would be the total economic collapse of the US. Even the best case scenario made it sound pretty grim. Of course the problem is in this modern age global community most nations are intrinsically tied together, and were the US to go belly up (in an economic sense) then it would have a profound knock on effect on many other nations (primarily western, capitalistic ones).

But could it survive? Difficult to say. The US economy is very powerful, the mark by which others are measured. But it is not robust. Nor is it in the best of health, indeed a lot of it is very dependant on foreign investment, the the importance of imports and transnational corporations. Without it it is hard to believe the US could remain the dominant economic superpower.

jaden101
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
After reading the thread I recently started about China I realized, not for the first time, how much the US depends on other countries. Many of its products are made in China, not to mention countries like Saudi Arabia have vast sums of money invested in the US market. So theoretically, if the countries the US depend on took their money out of our system and, in the case of China, stop producing for us, could it strike an economical blow to the US big enough to possibly make it very weak, or at least much less formidable, or is there some way for the US to bounce back from such an occurence?

true...it would mean that american companies would have to start producing their own goods..

but given that companies who do the exporting would be hit the hardest...ie: China would suffer more than America...and Saudi Arabia's only major income is from the US buying oil....then they would be in a worse state than the US

America is in the position of being able to rely on many different types of buisness....computing technologies...manufacturing...tourism...agriculture....many countries who deal with them rely on only 1...and hence wouldn't dare risk harming their only major economic income

the only exception has been Cuba who refused to cow to America's demands and dont trade with them....but they also have a policy in place that means they wont trade with any country that trades with Cuba...further harming their economy...such is their power

even their "special friend" the UK was victim to the policy

a couple of years ago, the US told Britain that all bananas that the UK imported must be from US run farms (chiquita)...the UK refused and the US put an embargo on Scottish cashmier wool

debbiejo
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
Theoretically, according to a lecturer I once heard, if the nations that the US has a heavy foreign debt to were to pull the plug, then the worse case scenario would be the total economic collapse of the US. Even the best case scenario made it sound pretty grim. Of course the problem is in this modern age global community most nations are intrinsically tied together, and were the US to go belly up (in an economic sense) then it would have a profound knock on effect on many other nations (primarily western, capitalistic ones).

That's what people were worried about with Y2K...not being able to get the products we need...It could cause some panic if it all happened at once....But doesn't China keep to it's self and not import other products...thought I read that once.

Originally posted by jaden101
true...it would mean that american companies would have to start producing their own goods..

America is in the position of being able to rely on many different types of buisness....computing technologies...manufacturing...tourism...agriculture....many countries who deal with them rely on only 1...and hence wouldn't dare risk harming their only major economic income

Unfortunately....we have too many of our technologies go to other countries like Japan...Lots of products here from Japan.

I'm from Michigan and many people from Detroit have lost their jobs..to foreign car companies also...lots of factory closings....

I really do feel that if the US went down....it would have a huge effect on many other countries......

SO.....Buy American.... big grin

Bardock42
What the f**k? ...... its just cause your cars suck....make better cars and your problems are solved.....

PVS
Originally posted by Bardock42
What the f**k? ...... its just cause your cars suck....make better cars and your problems are solved.....

GM, ford, chrysler= shit

however many foreign car companies have plants in the states. my honda was built in america smile

Bardock42
My Mercedes...oh shit I drive a french car sad

debbiejo

So I've heard....But we do have Saturn now....And it used to be that if you were seen driving a foreign car here,.....OH..how people would glare at you....Use to be...But I've bought a Mazda...It's foreign, but built here....But that's still not good for us....OH..how people would glare at you....

But it's more then just the cars that's left....It's many technologies....

We're gonna become farmers........... big grin sad

PVS
Originally posted by debbiejo
OH..how people would glare at you...
i hear ya

i remember that bullshit. as if you have to prove you love america
by sinking your hard earned money into a piece of shit which was engineered like shit, assembled like shit, runs like shit, depreciates like shit.

SUPPORT AMERICA!!!! PISS YOUR MONEY AWAY!!!!

yeah, fuk that
stop laying off 25000+ employess and then turning around
and offering a nationwide "employee discount' (god what a slap in the face to those GM workers mad )then build a decent affordable car and ill buy it,

debbiejo
The US is known for it's great trucks though......But it's the other technologies....like I've said too.

Bardock42
The US is known for it's great trucks though......But it's the other technologies....like I've said too.

Yeah your great trucks.....which you actually drive.....not for work....but just for cruising....which all need aboot as much oil as Iraq has per mile...great they are indeed

PVS
yeah, im not sure i like that reputation for america.
i know trucks are needed, but im sure we would all be baffled
if we ever got the ratio of needed trucks to unneeded trucks.

debbiejo
Yeah your great trucks.....which you actually drive.....not for work....but just for cruising....which all need aboot as much oil as Iraq has per mile...great they are indeed

Nah.....pick-up trucks....they a good job......

OK...I guess we can all Beetles.....and load em up.... laughing out loud

PVS
we dont all need trucks
s.u.v.'s especially. wtf do people need with those?
the going myth is that they're 'safer', but the fact is
that s.u.v.'s are far more likely to flip and roll, and most cases
of drivers/passengers becoming paralized are in such an accident.
and make no mistake, those things are easy to flip. people fall under the
misconception that bigger=safer, but really you are less safe and only
serve to make the road more dangerous for others.

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by PVS
we dont all need trucks
serve to make the road more dangerous for others. thats strange that you should mention this... my sister was driving her ford expedition.. (i think thats who makes it)... and someone crashed into her while she was stopped at the corner (they were in a regular car)... their car was ripped to shreds and she only lost some paint and her license plate.. bigger isnt necessarily better.. but its good to have a little distance from the ground

PVS
it all depends on the situation. i guess when they are just sitting there they have the advantage. when it comes time to swerve and maneuvar, thats a different story. you'd be very surprised at how easily those things roll.

debbiejo
Originally posted by PVS
we dont all need trucks
serve to make the road more dangerous for others.

I'm not talking about SUV's....they're gas guzzlers.....I'm just talking about trucks...pickup......Oh. well......When I visited DC. they had buses running on Natural gas...cleaner and cheaper...They want to institute nation wide...

But...there are other techs....that have left, and I think if the US...went down, it would hurt more then just this country.

botankus
I'm from Michigan and many people from Detroit have lost their jobs..to foreign car companies also...lots of factory closings....

Okay, that's the problem.

Originally posted by PVS
GM, ford, chrysler= shit

however many foreign car companies have plants in the states. my honda was built in america smile

True statements except I don't hear the word "union" in ANY of them, therefore the full explanation isn't being presented here. Unions killed our Steel and Automobile industries. Ask ANYONE whose families and friends are not Union and they'll tell you the same thing. Yes, even from the North.

And I'm sorry if your family is in a union family.

debbiejo
Originally posted by botankus

True statements except I don't hear the word "union" in ANY of them, therefore the full explanation isn't being presented here. Unions killed our Steel and Automobile industries. Ask ANYONE whose families and friends are not Union and they'll tell you the same thing. Yes, even from the North.

And I'm sorry if your family is in a union family.

Unions were good at one time.....But now...I do agree with you....very much.......funny thing is that many people in the Unions....love it....don't see any prob. with it...think it's their best friend...buy all the propaganda..

botankus
funny thing is that many people in the Unions....love it....don't see any prob. with it...think it's their best friend

Imagine that! laughing out loud

If I were pulling in $42 an hour for doing my job at 80% when I want, how I want, with a very, very, low chance of getting fired, I would be too.

debbiejo
Imagine that! laughing out loud

If I were pulling in $42 an hour for doing my job at 80% when I want, how I want, with a very, very, low chance of getting fired, I would be too.

Yep....See......brainwashed they are......Though I think your exagerating.....$42.00 per hour....OR I'D WORK FOR THEM TOO.

botankus
Nope! For example, that's the average wage of an elevator and escalator union worker in IUEC - Local 1 out of New Jersey and New York.

Rates for Hoisting

debbiejo
Nope! For example, that's the average wage of an elevator and escalator union worker in IUEC - Local 1 out of New Jersey and New York.

that's ridiculous.....!!!!!!!!!!....didn't know that.....What a change now that some are layed off...and collecting unemployment.....

botankus
Actually, it's now just under 41 dollars and that's for hoisting. I edited my post above with a link. As you can see from the link, that doesn't include health benefits and all that stuff that most people get taken out of their wages.

All the benefits brings the total to more like $58 an hour.

debbiejo
Actually, it's now just under 41 dollars and that's for hoisting. I edited my post above with a link. As you can see from the link, that doesn't include health benefits and all that stuff that most people get taken out of their wages.

Unions have destroyed this country....thanks for the link.....Never liked the unions when I've read what they've done....

Priorities are screwed up! pay so much for Auto workers.....

botankus
And if you really want to see some outrageous Construction Rates for the same union, with total packages (which is the same as total wages for the rest of us) well into the $40's an hour.

debbiejo
And if you really want to see some outrageous Construction Rates for the same union, with total packages (which is the same as total wages for the rest of us) well into the $40's an hour.

Well, why go to college....... big grin

Though those kinds of jobs are truly boring...plays on your mind being soooooooo boring... ...How can you use your mind....Is it the walking dead.....Oh...I know...those are the people who come home and become couch potatoes.......I'd rather do something I enjoy, then do it for the money.....but that's me......I'm gonna take pilot lessons.

Shakyamunison

Though those kinds of jobs are truly boring...plays on your mind being soooooooo boring... ...How can you use your mind....Is it the walking dead.....Oh...I know...those are the people who come home and become couch potatoes.......I'd rather do something I enjoy, then do it for the money.....but that's me......I'm gonna take pilot lessons.

It depends on what you are good at. The one thing college should teach you (and this is what I got out of it) is how to learn. In every job, there will come a time when you need to learn something. Knowing how to learn and adapt, keeps you in a job. I hope I'm not off topic.

botankus

Actually, the repair guy's days consist of something like this:

7:00 Report to central location
7:15 Get a call for a repair
7:30 Eat breakfast at a diner
8:30 Start driving in New York traffic to job site
9:30 Get to job site
11:00 Finish Repair, break for lunch
12:15 Finish Lunch, start driving to next job site.
1:00 Get to next job site
3:00 Finish Repair, start driving back to central location
3:30 Go home

debbiejo
Employees don't even realize that it's the Unions fault that they are losing their jobs to other countries....out sourcing for lower wages...

Dagons Blade
Employees don't even realize that it's the Unions fault that they are losing their jobs to other countries....out sourcing for lower wages...

Yeah really. The bilingual status of my local Wal Mart proves THAT w\o a doubt,and they're not even Union! But I swear man, outsourcing with labor from other countries has a grip on the balls of the job market here and I was using the Wal Mart scenario as an example, not to mention the Dollar Tree store right next to it. Way to go, Union..

debbiejo
Originally posted by Dagons Blade
Yeah really. The bilingual status of my local Wal Mart proves THAT w\o a doubt,and they're not even Union! But I swear man, outsourcing with labor from other countries has a grip on the balls of the job market here and I was using the Wal Mart scenario as an example, not to mention the Dollar Tree store right next to it. Way to go, Union..

All our jobs are going over seas...even computer companies. like EDS...going to India,....Mexico...etc...all because people will work for cheaper wages....Computer companies don't make at all that much money like the Auto industries do...

Every time I call a cust serv. rep...I get a foreign person who can hardly speak English and we have such a hard time communicating.

Bicnarok

Ushgarak
a couple of years ago, the US told Britain that all bananas that the UK imported must be from US run farms (chiquita)...the UK refused and the US put an embargo on Scottish cashmier wool

That's very misleading.

The US wanted to start taking action following an earlier WTO ruling that France and Britain were giving preferential trade rates to their former colonies, therefore disfavouring Latin American countries.

But the matter at the time was on appeal to the WTO and France and the UK took the position that the US should not act before the WTO made its final ruling.

Despite the US threat, the trade war never properly materialised and the whole issue was moved on from.

So not only did it never happen, this was not a case of the evil US seeking to make money for its own people just for the hell of it- it was a trade war between two factions. Happens a lot.

Ushgarak

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.