What is a "Homie"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok

Bardock42
It means friend or buddy...sometrhing like that....not to be mixed up with "homo"....a term that describes rappers that use the term "homie".

PVS
its a term of kinship.
not worth looking into past that

Cinemaddiction
Homie I always took as a slang term to reference someone who resides in the same area as yourself.

WindDancer
Slang for gang member thug. Nowadays is becoming more like "buddy".

whirlysplat

Capt_Fantastic
Isn't it short for "home boy"? Which, as pointed out earlier, is a term endearment.

I believe they're also a line a small plastic figures depicting characters that you would normally lock your door if you were to see them walking down the street next to your car. I think you can buy them from gum ball machines.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic

I believe they're also a line a small plastic figures depicting characters that you would normally lock your door if you were to see them walking down the street next to your car. I think you can buy them from gum ball machines.

laughing

I guess the Latino community is cool with it? blink

Fëanor
Originally posted by Bardock42
It means friend or buddy...sometrhing like that....not to be mixed up with "homo"....a term that describes rappers that use the term "homie". laughing

Freaky Zeeky

Oswald Kenobi
homie isn't a real word.

Royal Knight
Homie is a sandwich shop that was down the street from my house in Glendale stick out tongue

and it also means friend, haha

SlipknoT

I believe they're also a line a small plastic figures depicting characters that you would normally lock your door if you were to see them walking down the street next to your car. I think you can buy them from gum ball machines. laughing

Bicnarok
interesting array of possibilities, basically means "mate" then

Kate_Lost
happy

EmceeMart
" basically means "mate" then"

I reckon Capt Fantastic got it right though.... " homie " is a derivative of "home boy". which in turn is a kind of term of endearment, or at least camaradarie - so yeah to (Brits at leasts) the term means "mate" (as we Brits understand it!)

As a Brit living in America for the last 10 years, I have noticed my own stepsons slipping into "Chicano" Spanish (they are 1/2 mexican) but the "gangbanger" language and culture seems to be spreading northwards from Claifornia. I don't know if any American commentators would agree with this. Let me know if I am mistaken.

cking
homie is friend in ghetto language.

roguegirl15
Originally posted by EmceeMart
" basically means "mate" then"

I reckon Capt Fantastic got it right though.... " homie " is a derivative of "home boy". which in turn is a kind of term of endearment, or at least camaradarie - so yeah to (Brits at leasts) the term means "mate" (as we Brits understand it!)

As a Brit living in America for the last 10 years, I have noticed my own stepsons slipping into "Chicano" Spanish (they are 1/2 mexican) but the "gangbanger" language and culture seems to be spreading northwards from Claifornia. I don't know if any American commentators would agree with this. Let me know if I am mistaken.
Homie-homeboy,your buddy,your good friend,your g (gangsta),that one person that you trust so much.There's nothing wrong with Chicano language it's just basically spanish or so.I don't know about the gangs in California besides the nationally recognized,but some of the gangs like to make up their own sayings.sombrero2

Evil Dead
no such thing as "ghetto language". Half of the uneducated residents of ghettos speak better English than these pasty white suburban kids. I blame MTV. All these little pukes see the way their idol rappers speak and try to emulate them.

Bicnarok

playmean
urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=homie

WindDancer

That is correct Capt, I've seen those figure before. Notice that most of them wear what is consider "gang clothes". Is a stereotype of what is consider latino gangs in Los Angeles.

roguegirl15
no he meant the real homies

Red Superfly
It means those homosexual folk who live in Sanfranciscoland.

leonheartmm

Acherontia
A "Homie" Means that the person who Said it is a total sh!t for brains.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Acherontia
A "Homie" Means that the person who Said it is a total sh!t for brains.

LOL

Hulk Power

Darth_Janus
Originally posted by Red Superfly
It means those homosexual folk who live in Sanfranciscoland.

lmao

EmceeMart
In England there are three counties called Sussex, Wessex and Essex

No Norssex - homies???

Creechuur
Damn you guys are making me feel old. Homeboy is a word that was made popular when I was a kid, and now, only like 15-20 years later, people dont know where it comes from.

Then again, back then only hip hop/break dancing types used the word...seems like the whole world thinks its 'gangsta' nowadays.

23 skidoo!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.