One Small Step For Man, One Giant Leap For PIG SPERM...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SlipknoT
China to send pig sperm to space

Scientists hope to study the effect of cosmic rays on the pig sperm
China is planning to study the effects of space on sperm, by sending the semen from pedigree pigs into orbit.
Some 40 grams of pig sperm will be taken on board the Shenzhou VI spacecraft for its October launch.

Some of the sperm will be kept outside the spacecraft's biological capsule and some inside, according to China's Xinhua news agency.

Surviving sperm will be returned to Earth and used to understand better the processes involved in pig reproduction.

The pigs chosen are a breed called Rongchang, named after an area in the southwest of the country and famed for their physique and for the quality of their meat.

Agricultural experts hope to use the sperm to fertilise pig eggs back on Earth - to see what effect a period of microgravity will have had on the sperm's activity.

China's first manned spaceflight two years ago made it the third country able to launch a human into space on its own, along with Russia and the United States.

During the upcoming mission, two astronauts will orbit the planet five or six times.

Trigun King
ok.

hotsauce6548
Cool. no expression

Was there a point to that?

SlipknoT
I know I've always been curious as to what would happen if You sent Swine Semen into Space erm

KidRock
sleep Who let Slipknot out of his off topic forum cage?

SlipknoT
Hey, Its a serious topic...

Imperial_Samura
Although one has to wonder how often sperm will be floating around up there by itself, away from a body. I mean technically the has been sperm sent into space a number of times, so how is this different...

SlipknoT
Its to better understand pig reproduction.

Imperial_Samura
I can't wait for the future that will see mighty Chinese Pig farms in space. It will be quite interesting. Still, it would be cool if they discovered that pig sperm mutates in space, and turns into some Godzilla like monster. Oh a Pig instead of a lizard.

debbiejo
I wonder if any of the astronauts came back from space and impregnated their wives...

bilb
blink just when you think things cant get any weirder

Zenoside
I feel sorry for the Chinese guy who had to get the sperm. Poor sap.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.