Thor w/ magic of the runes vs King Thor

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

joesha28
Well, basically Thor w/ magic of the runes is a version of King Thor. There are Three King Thor versions.

1.King Thor w/o Odinpower (Classic Thor ruling Asgard in Odin's place)

2.King Thor w/o Odinpower but with Runes magic (Thor disassembled #85)

3.King Thor with Odinpower (Thor woth Odinpower is fondly called King Thor by fans)

This battle is between no 2 and 3.....

Laminator_X
Is there a difference? I thought Odin gained his power from hanging himself on the world tree and seing the secrests of creation spelled out in runes by the falling twigs. Really, I just skimmed Thor Dissasembled in the store so I probably missed something.

long pig
What exactly are the Runes?

joesha28
That was Odin, bro. This was Thor. The odinpower was beside Thor in a form of a boy. Thor got the Magic of the Runes thru ritual.

joesha28
Odin posessed The Runes magic. It gave him wisdom to use his Odin power. In the Reigning Thor did not have that much wisdom to use his odinpower in good use.

long pig
So, Odin killed himself to get the power? And Thor got it prematurly?

joesha28
No, it's complicated he hanged himself (a sacrafice) but did not die.

long pig
But his wisdom was attained enough so that he could see the runes and use them wisely, right?
Thor, on the otherhand didn't yet have the wisdom, that's why he went all crazy, right?

Ok, so the Odinforce is different from the Godblast??

joesha28
"But his wisdom was attained enough so that he could see the runes and use them wisely, right?
Thor, on the otherhand didn't yet have the wisdom, that's why he went all crazy, right?"

No, the wisdom according to Thor:disassembled is from the runes. Odinforce is the power of Odin. Thor did not have the wisdom to handle Odin's power the Odinforce.

K Von Doom
I would say the Godblast is derived from the Odinforce

Scoobless
probably is... but Thor with Runes not only is immensely powerful, but he has the knowledge of how to best use his power... King Thor is just power

it'd be like a street punk who found an M16 going up against an SAS soldier... Runes Thor owns King Thor

joesha28
Originally posted by K Von Doom
I would say the Godblast is derived from the Odinforce

Not really, from what i understand Godblast is the God force that flows in Thor's body, unleashed thru the Uru battle hammer Mjolnir. Thor in disassembled b4 he got the runes, fought Durok h2h. In that fight Thor unleashed Godblast thru his body killing Durok (Mjolnir was broken at that time.)

K Von Doom
Why is he called KING Thor? Odin was never called King Odin.

GalacticStorm
Well Odin has always been King for as long as he's been a Marvel character just about. So his role goes without saying. Thor for 90% of the time has just been a hero and a prince. Its just to distinguish the roles

joesha28
Because Odin is Asgard's natural king. Classic Thor is the Prince of Asgard. So to differentiate Thor on throne with Odinpower is King Thor.

K Von Doom
Just seems kinda weird coz the Submariner isn't referred to as King Namor on a regular basis. Same goes for King Blackbolt.

Sentry
Didn't Thor hang himself from that tree Yggdrasil for a week to gain the wisdom of the Runes? If I recall he had lost his eyesight in the process but, he could still perceive everything that was going on around him. Thor thrashed Valhalla and hung ripped Loki's head off and hung it on his belt. That was cool.

demigawd
King Thor = Regular Brash Thor + boatload of new power
Rune King Thor = King Thor + Rune Magic + WISDOM

King Thor >>> Thor
Rune King Thor >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> King Thor

No contest. It's like asking, "Who's more powerful, SSJ3 Goku or SSJ2 Goku?".

Sentry
Originally posted by demigawd
King Thor = Regular Brash Thor + boatload of new power
Rune King Thor = King Thor + Rune Magic + WISDOM

King Thor >>> Thor
Rune King Thor >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> King Thor

No contest. It's like asking, "Who's more powerful, SSJ3 Goku or SSJ2 Goku?".

Good post demi.

long pig
Confusing as all hell.

Is the "Wisdom" just regular old wisdom or is it like...a power?

Why'd he have to hang himself?

demigawd
Oeming's run was designed to be much closer to the original Norse mythology, so if some of the concepts seem cryptic and archaic, it was meant to be. But simply put, "wisdom" is seen as the greatest of power in Norse mythology. In this sense, it goes beyond simply "knowing a lot of stuff", it's basically omniscence - cosmic awareness of all things at a universal level. Even though Thor had the Odinpower for years, he lacked that wisdom to know how to use it wisely. As such, the Odinpower (which took the form of a child-like identity) turned on him, and abandoned him entirely, which is why he was just "regular" Thor at the start of Oeming's run, despite it following Jurgen's King Thor run. He had to go through similar trials to that through which his father had to go to prove himself worthy of the power and to gain the wisdom to use it correctly. A lot of the trials were reality as metaphor (poking his eyes out to see through "greater sight", hanging himself to "die and be reborn", etc.). As a bonus for doing so well, he also developed mastery of Rune Magic, which he used to own everybody in Ragnorak.

A strong case can be made, however, that the Odinpower "entity" that turned on Thor was nothing more than Thor's own guilty subconscious come to live and turned against him, and the power was his all along, he just blocked his access to it after seeing what happened in The Reigning storyline.

Scoobless
Originally posted by long pig
Confusing as all hell.

Is the "Wisdom" just regular old wisdom or is it like...a power?

Why'd he have to hang himself?

you should read Thor disassembled... i only recently picked it up in TPB... it's good, plus Cap, Iron Man and Beta Ray Bill make appearances and have some pretty good showings against Norse baddies

joesha28
Man! I love the part where Thor fought Durok the demolisher hand-to-hand it was awesome! That and Thor beating up the crap of Loki and Fanris the wolf the same time.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.