Texas' AOTC Review

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Texas
Well I've seen it, if you can call it that.
Friend downloaded it on his computer, I dont have Broadband, he does.
I will have to admit that because I saw it on a small screen, and the sound was muffled and the entire picture was not visible, it probably affects my perception of the movie!

Anyways.............

I am really disappointed!
GL did not improve anything that was wrong with TPM!
I wanted to ***** slap Hayden Christenson! He was extremely wooden, annoying, whining, throughout the entire movie, like a little *****! My God!!!
Natalie Portman was equally as bad!
Where her acting was acceptable as a stiff proper queen, it all backfires here! She was horrible!!!
The love story was not charming at all, we dont have that same chemsitry that Han and Leia had!
With the way Christenson was behaving, I dont know how she could fall in love with that prissy prick!
The special effects were amazing, although it was hard to concentrate, cause theres so much going on in one shot, it was hard enough looking at it on a small screen, at the theater it will probably be impossible to have a look at everything.
One thing I did like was R2 and C3PO! They were great! We didn't have enough of them in TPM but in ATOC they are just like they were in the old triology!
And then theres Yoda! He's ****ing awesome in this movie! Wow!! You really cant notice a difference between the puppet! He was freakin great!!! Wow, forget Darth Vader, I wanna be Yoda!
Ewan was great too, one of the only good actors in the picture, he had some of the funniest lines!!!

So all in all I was extremely disappointed in the film, if it weren't for the intense action, and Yoda's ass kicking awesomeness, I would of been extremely bored!!!

THUMBS DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!

GL has definately lost his charm! He should of never made TPM, AOTC!!

Ok, I'm ready to get attacked by all you GL loving maniacs out there now!

roll eyes (sarcastic)

peluffo
*calling desperatly* HELMEEEET!!! COME HEEEREEE!!!
sad bad thing tose "thumbs down" reviews anyway...

mah
you had decided what you were going to say before you saw it, tex.

Emperor Helmet
Boy, the dopes are coming out of the woodwork today, aren't they?

BTW, there was nothing wrong with TPM, other than Yoda was a puppet.

Texas
Dont get your hopes up people! It's a real stinker!
It stinks almost as bad as Haydens acting!
And I thought Jake Llyod was wodden!
He's a regular Kevin Spacey compared to that tree Hayden Christenson!

GL needs to get ***** slapped!!!
So do all of you blind GL supporters who are defending a movie you haven't seen yet! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Emperor Helmet
I have seen it, twice actually. And yes, you are crazy, and don't know acting very well.

Texas
OMG!
How can you defend the acting!!! Christenson and Portman were horrible!!!
Especially the romance scenes!!

Geesh!!!
You'd probably give an Oscar to Madonna and Mirah Carey! stick out tongue

Emperor Helmet
There are way too many main characters for any Sw actor to get an Oscar.

Guys, don't listen to this dope. The acting is perfectly fine.

LanceWindu
I thought Jake Lloyd in TPM was natural in most of his scenes, I personally thought TPM was a good movie, not great, but better than most movies out there.

And I've seen all the spots and trailers and everything, it looks great!

Texas
Yeah, Cher looks great too, but she's 60!!!

Dont get your hopes up Lance. Go in with low expectations, and them maybe, it will play better for you. wink

I'm outta here! I guess this weeked, I'll see Spider-man again! A movie with some heart! cool

LanceWindu
Spider-Man is a cartoon movie. AOTC is gonna rock!!!

Texas
Yeah, rock right down the street to the $1 movies where it belongs! stick out tongue

mah
yeah, your credibility doesn't grow when you call matrix the next star wars, and praise spiderman like a god.

LanceWindu
roll eyes (sarcastic)

The shouldn't make any more Matrix's.

It's a peice of steaming, stinky shiznit.

Texas
The Matrix and Spiderm-man dont try to be something there not.
AOTC tries to be this great earth shattering movie that takes itself very seriously and just ends up being laughably bad!!

The Matrix and Spider-man are genius compared to crap GL is shoveling out! stick out tongue

I'm not going to even support AOTC by going to see it in the theater! I'll see Spider-man instead! A good summer movie! cool

Emperor Helmet
Spider-Man is highly over rated. Good movie at a time where there isn't anything to compete with it.

Texas
Polly Shores Bio-Dome is a good movie compares to AOTC!
I hate this movie!!

I'm not even going to watch Episode III! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Emperor Helmet
That is all we had to hear to know you are an absolute moron. Do us all a favor and go post on the Bio-Dome message boards. I'm sure you can chat with Paulie himself, as well as Pee-Wee Herman and friends.

Texas
Polly would of made a spectacular Anakin, compared to that 2x4 Hayden Christenson!!!

Well I cant blame him completely, GL screenplay could make Meryl Streep look like a bad actress! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Emperor Helmet
Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound?

yerssot
Tex... bootleg... poor quality... bad sounds...

what did you expact then? you said it all yourself, it's a bootleg, not an original movie!

Emperor Helmet
I don't know why people bother watching that garbage version.

Ushgarak
I think I smell a Texas wind-up! You love all this, don't you, Tex?

finti
Well he sounds like some of the reviews I red on the net, they also slamed the acting of Hayden and Natalie

Emperor Helmet
Yeah about 3 of the 500 reviews.

finti
No it was a common thing actually, it got my hopes way down

LanceWindu
I don't think he does.

Emperor Helmet
Where is it a common thing? In the Bizzaro World?

Do you just keep reading the same review?

yerssot
all SW movies got bad reviews...

LanceWindu
But we still love 'em.

finti
Hey helmet who told you you got monopoly on IQ cause they fooled you big time. There are more countries than the English speaking ones that have seen AOTC and the only ones so far that gave AOTC good reviews were the Swedes

Texas
Actually, I think many of the negative reviews have been too kind to Hayden and Natalie. Their acting is absolutely appalling!!

What really gets my thong in a knot is that I've seen both of these actors in other movies where they have been brilliant! Which leads me to blame GL for this travesty!!

Thank God Ewan is so damn good, anyone else would of probably burned up and crashed with the material he was given!

But I absolutely love R2 and C3PO, they were hillarious!!

Actually Yers, I think the bootleg helps cover up some of the bad acting.
Oh Brother! GL should be sent to Monster Island as seen on 'The Simpsons'! stick out tongue

Emperor Helmet
That is absolute garbage. Your opinion on their acting is sooooo wrong. Hayden was a great Anakin, and Natalie was so much better in AOTC and was definitely her best acting performance. Anakin's facial expressions are superb. He play's the arrogant teen perfect.

Texas
Geesh what a drama queen!
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Anakins facial expressions?!?!?!? HA!! What a joke!!!

No, I'm sorry, I'm sure Hayden's facial expressions will probably win a Golden Globe!

*giggles* roll eyes (sarcastic)

Pathetic!!!!!

So I take it AOTC is your 2nd favorite movie in the whole wide world?
Pfft! roll eyes (sarcastic)
Your first if probably Spice World! stick out tongue

Darth Mulover
texas, are you actually a moron, or do u just live in your own little world, high above the clouds away from reality, all star wars films got bad reviews, but they are still 3 of the best films ever made, have you ever seen all three films back to back, in the right order, so u know exactly whats goin to happen, so u know the story line, thats what the phantom menace was about! developing the story, and thats what aotc is about as well, it is gonna be huge. it will be bigger then spiderman, lord of the rings and harry potter, mabey bigger than titanic, and as for your moronic comment about not going to see ep3, ur an idiot, ur basing that decision on the first star wars film the master(george lucas) made for 16 years, and a pirate copy u shouldnt even have, it proves u are not a true star wars fan, so just dont post here any more, if i had a light sabre, i would hunt u down, and carve u up darth maul style!!!!!!!

LanceWindu
Hold on now!

We don't resort to violence around here. Texas is one of our valued members around here.

He's just voicing his opinion.

Texas
laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud
Thanks Lance, but it's fine!

I like people like Darth Mufler! They make me laugh!
He's probably that Emperor Helmethead guy who just registered under a different name! roll eyes (sarcastic)

I'm a SW fan alright, just not one of the crappy new triology.

He calls GL "Master"
Geesh! That says it all!

Isn't it time for you to go light some candles and worship your GL poster? stick out tongue

peluffo
laughing out loud laughing out loud

Texas
smokin'
wink rolling on floor laughing wink

master harmax
All I can say is : you can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but its tough to please all of the people all of the time.

Dejio
Although, Texas' words may be harsh. And although it looks like he's really lookin for a fight.... I agree with him on his review.

Though unlike him, I saw the film in a THX theater along with about 400 other people. And believe me, better sounds and better image quality doesn't make watching AOTC better.

Helmet, don't kid yourself. Admit it. The movie was bad. Below average. Hell, it wasn't even entertaining. Except for the last 35 minutes or so. Which was also confusing to watch. Too many things goin on in one scene.

I'm a Star Wars fan and truly love its universe. I'm the least person to criticize Star Wars. I even defended TPM against my fellow Star Wars fans. But alas, AOTC is beyond help.

It's really sad what George Lucas did with the new films. How ironic isn't it?

queeq
So Tex, AOTC should go to the Razzies instead, eh?

Well, if IF it isn't that great, I think GL should seriously reconsider directing EPIII.

yerssot
and I stick to my point:

how can you make a review of it when you saw a BOOTLEG????
That's not like a real movie!

Emperor Helmet
Wow, look! Texas has a partner in dopeness. They are like the dynamic duo of ****8. I would like to call them the *******.

Neith have seen the film on the big screen and had horrible audio to go with it, yet they criticize a movie that has had the best reviews any SW film has ever had.

(WATCH THE LINGO, HELMET!!! mad )

Dim
If you guys can't learn to act a bit more civil and lay off the moron and partner in dopess remarks I'm closing this. This is a movie review..not a thread to take personal pot shots at eachother.

queeq
USA Today gave a positive review on AOTC today.

Emperor Helmet
They sure did.

smokin'

queeq
They didn't like the love scenes though...

Texas
Does anyone like the love scenes so far?

They were pretty bad, Hayden and Natalie had no onscreen chemistry! Ford and Fisher, now that was chemistry!!

I also agree with Dej when he talks about too many things goin on in one scene. It comes down to bad art direction. It's nice that they can make all these great looking special effects, but they ignore the basic rules of art, they make it very hard to focus. Their were like 4 different focus points!

Maybe Dim will know what I'm talking about since shes an artist.

But all in all, I feel sorry for GL, he's really lost his charm.

If you actually read the posts, you will see that Dej saw it at a theater with THX. And he said it was a real stinker too! stick out tongue As for the best SW reviews yet, that is dead wrong, it's reviews are 10x worse than TPM. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ushgarak
Really? Not around here. The reviews are far more mixed around here than they were with TPM, when they were nearly all negative.

Raz
AOTC IS going to be great! I've wasted too much blood and sweat promoting this film! big grin

Texas
*Delirium engulfs the boards*

It's a real stinker! sad

yerssot
ok... maybe you should believe the review of someone who actually LIKES Starwars!

Humo, a magazine here, let a TREKKIE wrote the preview! How stupid can you be!!! He totally demolished the movie!

mah
I trust Empire magazine, and they liked it.

finti
I dont trust any critics

Corran
I agree, trust only in yourself.

finti
so should you big grin in me that is

yerssot
we're doomed

finti
a new order

yerssot
a new doomed order?

Gundark
How can you say GL has lost his charm when millions of people still go to see his films ?

finti
well they aint gonna watch GL now are they big grin cool

yerssot
we're not? eek!

Darth Ninja
I've seen all of original trilogy, the special edition and The Phantom Menace in the movie theater over the years. I loved all the Star Wars movies (including the The Ewok Adventure and The Battle For Endor). I have many memories over the years of watching the movies (and watching them again). I remember my father talking about how he like Darth Vader's TIE fighter better than the TIE/In (standard TIE fighter) as I was walking out of the theater with him and my brother after we saw the first movie all those years ago. I remember how repulsed I was when I first saw Jabba, the awe of the AT-ATs marching down the snowfield of Hoth and the astonishment when Darth Vader suddenly grabbed Emperor Palpatine (Darth Sidious) and tossed him into the reactor. TPM was no different. I remember swearing out in the theater when Darth Maul and killed QGJ, cheering when Ben killed DM and crying with my best friend as QGJ died in Ben's arms. I love all the Star Wars movies because I enjoy each as an individual movie yet as part of a series. I'm going to see Attack of the Clones tommorrow. I will post my opinion on it after.

Dim
I think I share your attitude Ninja...

Honestly..I'm not expecting this to be the end all most wonderful movie of the year..I just want a Star Wars movie....it's hokey problems and all.

Dejio
I have seen the film on the big screen! With THX sounds to boot! How many times do I have to repeat myself? Sheesh. Read my Dejio's Review, first post, before you comment.

I recommend watching the AOTC (or any other movie) on the big screen.

Having said this, watching AOTC with better sound and picture quality will not change the fact that it is boring.
It will not make Anakin likeable.
It will not justify why Amidala loved Anakin (brat), instead of the more responsible Obi-Wan.
It will not make the story telling clearer.
It will not explain why the Jedi's cannot simply get or buy the Chosen One's mother from Watto.
It will not make the death of Anakin's mother more meaningful.
It will not show the rest of the Sith. Where's the "Reveal themselves (many) to the Jedi" part, Darth Maul was talkin about.
It will not give, at least a hint of the existence of the Mandelor Warriors.
It will not explain why at he start, Jedi's were alarmed by the creation of the Clones only to SUDDENLY use them and lead them at the end of the movie.
It will not make the movie more entertaining to watch.
It will not change the fact that GL does not know how to direct.
And it will not change the fact that Jar Jar Binks played the pivotal role which started the rise of the Empire!! AARRGH!!!

Jedi Mercenary
There are only two sith, a master and an apprentice, or were you too busy criticizing TPM instead of watching it??!!!

Dejio
For your info, I liked TPM.
Also, you mean there are only two Sith's in the whole Star Wars galaxy!! How can Darth Vader be "Dark Lord of the Sith" If there's only two..well, one. Still can't believe they've killed Darth Maul. What a waste of a "cool" character.

finti
excactly what I am thinkung too
I just wanna watch the next chapter in the SW saga, after all it is SW we are gonna see smile

Jedi Mercenary
I think GL should have said that there were more than 2 sith,
I mean 2 sith against 10,000 jedi??.

Corran

sarlacc
i agree we're not supposed to like anakin. you really do see both sides of his character in this movie though. his love and compassion and intent on being good as well as his reckless arogance, brattiness, and willingness to do whatever is necessary. especialy important is his attitude toward ob1. i think all of this was done with the intent to have audiences be satisfied in ep iii when the republic is gone (or implied to be gone soon) but ob1 kicks annie's butt. that will be the little victory amongst the greater defeat (that and the twins). you know most movie goers hate an unhappy ending where the bad guys win. most people will now enjoy seeing ob1 put him in his place. well that is, if that's what will actually happen.

Dejio
"We're not supposed to like Anakin"?!!
On the contraire.. We're supposed to like him! That's one of the ideas behind these Prequels.
We're supposed to see the good in Anakin Skywalker and see the events that changed him.
I know GL must show a side of him that was arrogant and restless, which became the "seeds" of the Dark Side. But they overdid it! He was simply annoying.

I don't think GL intended it this way.
It was simply bad script, bad acting and bad directing.

sarlacc
just because you wanted to like anakin doesn't mean thats what GL intended to do or should have done. and it doesn't mean this movie is bad. i think we're supposed to see the conflict in him and how he has progressed from an innocent litttle boy to the precipice of becoming an agent of evil, with an emphasis on the evolving turmoil within. this is the anakin i wanted to see in all 3 movies,well until he ultimatley isn't anakin anymore. i never wanted to see the little boy. to me this is the interesting part of anni's stroy, the moment when he is straddling the line that he will eventually cross. i agee that he was a brat and annoying at times, but i stand by my belief that this is exactly how GL intended us to percieve him. its all by design and is setting up ep iii.

Dejio
The key word here is "progress". From good to bad.
There's simply just no good in how Anakin was portrayed in AOTC. There's no admirable trait in him. Just a few minutes after the movie started, he was already annoying.

Corran
The progress from good to bad is quite evident, Anakin wants to do what is right, he wants to help but he lets his feeling guide him, Jedi should have no feelings nor hatred nor love, these are the path to the dark side and it is this path that he his being driven down, his love for his mother and then at her death his hatred raged for the Tusken Raiders, he shows love for Padme and this is what will eventually help push him over the edge and into the dark side.
He is constantly in turmoil throughout the film and it is this that I feel makes him seem arrogant and therefore annoying.
His admirable traits are his love and compassion, which are to be his eventual downfall as a Jedi/

queeq
It's just too much stacked up in one film. For SW that is.

Gundark
I think the first time it is a lot to swallow. But as you see it again and again you start to digest it in little pieces. I thought it was great - I wasn't disappointed at all.

queeq
I was a bit, actually...

Gundark
Well you wouldn't have been if you'd seen it with me. wink

queeq
But then... we wouldn't have seen much. wink

Dejio
Will you two lovebirds please knock it off? Your lines are sounding cheesier than Anakin and Padme's dialogues.

master harmax
laughing out loud Don't worry Dejio ... it takes a while to get used to some of the folks in this place ... you should check out yerssot and lara go at it sometimes. wink

Jedi Master Kai
Hi Im new here and I would just like to say that I thought TPM was a fab film and I really enjoyed it. Likewise with Episode II. Sure it was a bit slow during the love scenes, but they were necessary.
As for the poor acting, I dont think so somehow. I was very impressed by Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman has improved a lot since episode I. How people can say the acting is terrible beats me. You wanna see crap acting and crap filming? Rent Tomb Raider on video or DVD. That is a POOR film and it really does make Episode II look good.
Anyway, Im drifting off subject here. I think AOTC is an excellent film and I thoroughly enjoyed watching it, and am glad to be going to see it again. If Episode III is as good, then I think I can safely say I enjoy this current trilogy as much as I did the original.

yerssot
one thing, Hayden has indeed a strange way of acting, imo, but you see his torn apart between the JO and Amidala

Jake Dune
Hayden rocks! And he's Canadian too!

yerssot
that's the problem wink

Jedi Master Kai
Awww leave Hayden alone he's fantastic. Ive been watching him act since he was six.

Jedi Mercenary
Hayden was awesome, why do people think he was so stiff?
I'm still pretty young, and care alot less about the acting, but more about the story, and the story was awesome. I don't see why anybody wouldn't like the speeder chase, or the bright advertisements, both on Coruscant. I was kinda angry that GL put a fifties diner there, it just seemed too relevant to our world, along with the sports showing on the screens in the bar.

LanceWindu
It just shows that even though they are from a galaxy far away they still have the same feelings and stuff as us.

Jedi Mercenary
But it's a damn fifties diner!!!

Same goes with the "death sticks".

Gundark
Perhaps George was just emphasing the seedier part of Coruscant with the diner. Its not all a pretty planet you know. As far as "death sticks" goes, I guess they could have been named something else, not cigarettes of course.

Julie
I thought AOTC was an awesome movie....sure it had little probs here and there but the fight scenes, special effects, overall story, adn nice cast more than made up for any slight shortcommings...well I liked it anyway and to me that's what counts smile

master harmax
Good ! Thats the way I like to think of it. Lot of critics have criticized the movie, but, on reading their reviews, I get the impression they havent understood the spirit of Star Wars, or what its about. So I prefer to keep my own counsel and opinion. What matters to me is whether I liked the movie and was taken away into a fantasy land; not whether someone else liked it or not.

Jedi Mercenary
The actual stuff they had in this movie was really, really cool. Obi-Wans Starfighter with it's reattachable light drive, all the advertisements on Coruscant, the at first silence, then boom of Slave 1's mines, GOOD LORD IT WAS COOL!!

master harmax
I WANNA SEE IT ! NOW !!!!!!!!!! mad mad mad

He-Man
I'm sorry for you Harmax. I truly am. But the movie's worth the wait.

Jedi Mercenary
Well, after you see it, you don't wanna wait 3 years for the end of the SW movie series sad

Jedi Mercenary
I didn't mean that in a bad way!!!!! smile

peluffo
damage already done sad

Jedi Mercenary
Yeah, god I'm gonna hate that feeling, realizing that it's the last Star Wars film.... GL said he wanted to do tons of TV shows afterwards, according to a recent interview in Time!!!! smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile

JediOasis
I loved AOTC, 2nd best one behind ESB if you ask me. People who go to these movies expecting great acting have always made me laugh. These movies are not about the actors(Mark Hamill played Luke Skywalker for Christ's sake) its about the overall story and what the fans get from it. I could care less if Hayen or Natalie get bad reviews for their acting, to me they were great as the future parents of Luke and Leia. Hayden was a great Anakin, you can see how his compassion for certain people will lead to his ultimate downfall and his return to the light. Is AOTC the next Citizen Kane? No, but who wants to watch that boring movie anyways? AOTC was entertaing as hell, Yoda kicked butt, Hayden and Natalie were awesome, and Obi-Wan showed great skills as well as a sense of humor. And Christopher Lee made up for the piece of crap that was LOTR by portaying a great villain who I can't wait to see get more screen time in EPIII. Anyone who hasn't seen it, don't worry, you won't be disappointed. For those who didn't like it, different strokes for different folks I guess.

Jedi Mercenary
I really see no indication that Hayden is stiff, none of you could do any better!! What I really hate to see is SW fans bashing it.

laos76
A true Star Wars fan is oblivious to what cynical people see.....why they find acting bad? cause the Cynical don't have the innocence to drop to our level of wonder....

These Star Wars fans bashing their passion are unconsiously reacting to how society has made them embarrassed to like what seems childish.

smokin'

master harmax
And it is for the same reason they hate Jar Jar Binks.

laos76
yes exactly my friend

I can understand TPM annoying fans in it's carnival style of movie...but Jedi started that....TPM naturally followed,
AOTC is worked it's way back to ESB and I would imagine EPIII will feel the most like the original somehow.

smokin'

Emperor Helmet
They all feel like SW. Because some geeks hate Jar Jar doesn't make it so. They are kids movies that are supposed to have plots kids can follow. I wish more people would understand this.

Gundark
I went to the restroom before I went into the theatre to see it again saturday afternoon and I heard a little girl in there telling her mother..."I want to be a REAL jedi when I grow up." I got this big shit-eating grin on my face...made me feel real good. Hehehe.

Corran
That's too easy a lead into toilet humour, nah, can't bring myself to take the bait! smile

JediOasis
I agree, as much as I love SW, I know that its still a kids movie for the most part, thats why all the PG ratings. My niece who is 6 doesn't like the OT all that much because Darth Vader scares her and she loves the new ones cause she likes Jar Jar. Does he get annoying at times, sure, but it stilll doesn't take away from the fact that I loved TPM and even more so AOTC.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.