Rational Thought versus Fanboyism

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth_Janus
Double-u tee eff? (WTF) Why is NJO Luke so great? So he's made from the Force via his dad. So what? So he can kill things like it's nothing. That doesn't make him god! So he can cloak planets. Heh, does nothing in combat. So this, so that... Refute, twisting of the words...

Guys, that kind of reasoning is HORRIBLE. Let's avoid it, okay? Try not to pop out of the woodwork with Let's Attack Person A's Credibility mode in high gear. Damn near everyone's crediblity, accomplishments, and validity in a versus match can be questioned. If you want to make a good case from here on out try this:

Make a good reason why someone would LOSE in a battle, not how come you think they would win.

Example? Anakin Skywalker and Luke from the movies are two of the rashest guys around. They run into trouble like lemmings into the sea. Maul is brimming with rage and is arrogant. Malak is overconfident in his own right. Depa Bilaba is susceptible to the dark side. Cin Drallig might be gay. I mean, try and give us good reasons. A good liability is worth two talents on the other guys' side, really. Obi-Wan Kenobi could beat ancient Sith lord Ajunta Pall if he had a habit of sneezing in combat. See what I mean? You have some mushy material between your ears and it ain't ear wax. I'm talking about your brain. Use it!

darth-yoda
getting feed up with fan boys janus
ps i like cin drallig

Darth_Janus
Cin's alright, I suppose. And yes... But it's not just them; it's some regulars, too.

xxxpoppunker182
i agree with you or actually do research on the person you know less about instead of talking up one character cause you don't know hardley anything about the other and don't like him/her

Darth_Janus
Well, the common practice is either A) I don't know the Eu guy well so I vote movie character or B) I hate that person or their fans so they lose.

darth-yoda
am i like dat i cant seem to find info on characters apart from wikiipedia and i dunno if i can trust that

xxxpoppunker182
Originally posted by Darth_Janus
Well, the common practice is either A) I don't know the Eu guy well so I vote movie character or B) I hate that person or their fans so they lose.

exactly

Darth_Janus
If you use Wikipedia, CROSS REFERENCE it with another, semi-reliable site, like starwars.com. And if you must, ASK. You don't know, go to the EU section of this forum and ask a question. Hell, I found out how Ventress "died" from doing that.

Darth_Janus
Bump.

MAKASHIMAN
I believe that some people idolize characters like Revan,Ani,etc. thing let them have fun

Darth_Janus
You can have fun anywhere else... But when you force your views on people and make a fuss, you make an ass out of yourself. If you're debating from what you believe and not what you know, you can never win a debate.

Emperor Revan
Yeah, we really get sick of the constant "Vader owns Yoda because he's the chosen one" and my personal favorite: "Vader owns because my chicken sandwich said so."

Darth_Janus
Yours too? You stole my sandwich, didn't you? You bastard... en garde! *Draws his jawa saber*

Emperor Revan
*Throws down robe revealing that he is Yoda's baby crap colored brother*

Now whatcha gonna do?

*draws lightsaber that's way too small*

Damn our short height!

Nai Fohl
Originally posted by Darth_Janus
Double-u tee eff? (WTF) Why is NJO Luke so great? So he's made from the Force via his dad. So what? So he can kill things like it's nothing. That doesn't make him god! So he can cloak planets. Heh, does nothing in combat.

Well...

I hate to say that since I hate the NJO series: Luke Skywalker is pretty much god in there. In terms of combat: Wasting several thousands aliens when other (powerful) people can not think of kill one of them while wielding your two lightsabers looking like you have 20 of them and after doing so just kill some real bad ass overlord alien that would make Mandalore and all Echani masters look like freaky babies.

Urm...and to follow your advice. Luke will lose in combat if you:
- overpower him in great terms (throw several ancient sith lords at him)
- make him fight one of his beloved family members / apprentices gone dark side (try the Solo children) since he will most likely try to turn them back to the light side (seen with Kyp Durron and Dessan)
- produce an magnetic field that will have an effect on his mechanical hand and let him drop his lightsaber.

MAKASHIMAN
Janus am I a jawa yet? embarrasment

Great Vengeance
Originally posted by Nai Fohl
Well...

I hate to say that since I hate the NJO series: Luke Skywalker is pretty much god in there. In terms of combat: Wasting several thousands aliens when other (powerful) people can not think of kill one of them while wielding your two lightsabers looking like you have 20 of them and after doing so just kill some real bad ass overlord alien that would make Mandalore and all Echani masters look like freaky babies.

Urm...and to follow your advice. Luke will lose in combat if you:
- overpower him in great terms (throw several ancient sith lords at him)
- make him fight one of his beloved family members / apprentices gone dark side (try the Solo children) since he will most likely try to turn them back to the light side (seen with Kyp Durron and Dessan)
- produce an magnetic field that will have an effect on his mechanical hand and let him drop his lightsaber.

Luke isnt god even in NJO, sekot knocked him out like nothing and in his battle with shimrra he would of died if not for jacens healing so really that was a draw.

Human Vader
You know Janus, you should make one thread that is like your collective works, with this one, and the wikipedia thread, and any other "editorials" you could come up with. Then we could keep bumping that instead of having a bunch of Janus threads up top. And I totally agree with you on te fanboy thing. Ooooteenie!

Darth Somebody
NJO Luke and Darth Revan are the worst. So many people think both are gods. It's ridiculous. I hope in KOTOR III, we see someone stomp Revan's ass. I'd laugh. And I hope in some up-and-coming Star Wars book, a Sith Lord stomps Luke's ass.

It's LONG overdue.

Human Vader
I don't hope either of those things happen, I don't care for Luke too much but Revan is one of my favorite characters. But see I don't go thinking Revan is God and that he'd win every battle he's in, there's a difference between liking a character and being a fanboy.

Fishy
I also like Revan one of my favorites, but he'd lose from a lot of people.

I think the real problem is, when you like somebody you know more about him then other people do and then people would quickly think you are a fanboy. Yeah I think Revan could beat Exar, in a really close fight but I also think Exar could defeat Revan. A lot of people will agree with me and a lot will disagree with me. The only thing is seeing as I know more about Revan then a lot of people here they will see me as a fanboy even though I don't consider myself as one.

The same thing can be said for a lot of other people here who defend people with a passion just because they know more about them then most others and that makes those chars more impressive in their eyes. Thats not really fanboyism either.

You are a fanboy when you really don't know anything and then just say something about them. But otherwise its a touchy subject at best, and both will think the char they defend is more impressive simply because they like them more.

Darth_Janus
Darth Somebody, you only post in threads with the two guys you claim to hate. WTF?

Darth Somebody
But notice that I am fair. Sort of with Fishy. Fishy hates Sidious - but tries to be fair. As do I. And Revan is powerful. There are times when I support him and times where I do not.

Darth_Janus
I do admit that much. I rather wish we didn't have factions going on... But until all else is laid to rest someday (Like that will ever happen) there will always be fans, fanboys, and the rest.

I hated Sidious before ROTS came out, as well as Anakin. Now, since they aren't the focus of versus threads anymore, I rather like them again.

Nai Fohl
Ah well...for me the most annoying thing with fanboys is that they grant their favourite characters impossible chances.

It's not that much of a problem in terms of duels. There is at least a possibility that a "weaker" character can take out a more powerful one (due to situation...see Han Solo shooting Clone Palpatine in the back; or just because of "cheating" - Atton killing Jedi). The only case in which "fanboys" annoy me is when you throw their favourite character into a battle he might absolutely be not able to survive and still they say he would win.

Good examples from the last days:

Exar Kun, Ragnos and Revan VS Anakin and Luke (Skywalkers winning because of being Skywalkers)

OR

Revan, Sidious, Dooku vs the TPM Jedi Council (assuming that Revan alone can defeat 10 Council level Jedi masters at once)

Darth_Janus
Actually that last one strikes me as being in the Sith's favor... I mean, if Palpatine can dispatch Jedi casually and Dooku we know has bollocks, Revan could mop on around the sides.

But it still is a ridiculous fight. That's why even if I make lopsided versus threads I put it in context, with a backstory, etc.

Darth_Frobo
Rational thought continues to get pwned on these forums unfortunatley, while I admit there are some pretty bad Revan fanboys out there the most annoying are skywalker/lightside fanboys my personal favourite was actually posted in the Revan v. yoda thread,

"Yoda wins because he's lightside and lightside and lightside always triumphs" well that was, I guess I'll put this delicatley so not to offend the dumbass who posted it, (you know who you are, be ashamed,be very ashamed.) that's BS darkside has pwned lightside numerous times, NJO Luke who's not only lightside (so he has one group of fanboys backing him) but a skywalker (so he has another group of idiot fanboys backing him) would get thrown around like a rag doll by the likes of exar kun, but no, "light always beats dark." and of course, "He's a skywalker his dad was the chosen one and he has the most midichlorians." screw rational thought and reasons and logic, he's a lightside skywalker he's invincible.

Next time I see someone post something like that he will suffer the wrath of Frobo because this is just getting ridiculous.

Darth_Janus
Release your hatred and angah..... Embrace the Dark Side and become.... a Sith Jawa!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.