HP- Not a kids (under 12) book anymore??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

manny321
I was wondering that with the high profile deaths in HBP and how dark it is and that it is getting ultra complicated that #6 and #7 are not really kids book like the first 5. I think the way its going the films for number 6 and 7 are for sure being rated Pg 13.

DanZeke25
I never thought of it as kids... only the movies.. not the books

Director_Joe
First 2 books...kids=yes....now the third is where it all starts getting darker and the 4th, 5th, & 6th books shouldn't be considered 12 and under...

NightCrawler341
I agree... but whats it matter. Best learn this stuff young.

Elessea
-nods- yeah...none of the books seem all that kidish after the first two...

Phoenix
I have to say, the infieri (sp?) freaked me out the most...

daeri
Originally posted by Phoenix

Freaked the hell out of me too embarrasment

It's since book 4 defenetly 12+, and book 6 maybe even 16+

TinkrBellBaBii
i really never thought that the books were for kids under 12. i mean they can read them if they want, but i dont think they were JK's intended audience anyways.

and yeah .. the inferi were scary as crap.

Mr. Bacon
i saw the word '****' in the book too

GGgrievous725
yeah the sixth was really bad compared to the original

hermioneronluva
yeah the inferi freaked me out and when some people start snogging each other, the 6 movie will be definatly be rated PG 13,and when someones chest and face start squirting out blood too.

Imaginary
I don't think the fifth book onwards is meant for kids... 12 and up for books 5 & 6. 3 & 4, 10 and up. 2, I'd say 8 and up. 1, all ages.

hotsauce6548
I believe that book one, two, and even three are fine for children of all ages, although three is where it gets a bit darker. From there, four was gradually darker, five was even darker, and six was definetly not intended for children under the age of twelve.

orient_celts
Originally posted by Phoenix

When I reached that part of the chapter, it was already half past 1am and the house was so quiet. I nearly let out a shriek when my mom came into my room to get something. I didn't know she was still up. Haha.

Creepy inferi.

I also think Book 5 & 6 may not be intended for kids under 12.

daughterofdeath
Originally posted by Mr. Bacon
i saw the word '****' in the book too

Er... I think there are quite a lot of...er... not very nice words which have 4 letters. laughing out loud

ladygrim
i didnt think it was a 'kids' book any way

whirlysplat
Harry Potter is a kids book. In many ways most fantasy isbig grin Some try and break the mold e.g. The rape scene at the start of Thomas Covenant.

ladygrim
no expression

Joseph_Kerr
Book 1 has a lot of darkness. Starts off with two murders. A kid being abused by his aunt/uncle. A creature/man who is killing and drinking unicorn's blood. A head in the back of a man's head.

The whole series has been dark.

ladygrim
^hence why its not a young childrens book

sailorsun004
even the second book can't be considered "12 and under" I mean Harry stabs a sword into a snake and then gets poisoned, Plus he stabs the journal and the blood goes all over the place! On his face, his hands, the floor, some even can be seen on the wall if you look closely. Plus transforming into different people with the polyjuice potion? okay thats not that bad but then theres the blood on the walls...what are they thinking? 12 and under phf I mean come on people...The blood on the walls probably made at least one parent walk out with their kid.

LiveAndLetDie
I don`t think any of the books beyond the third are kids book. I`m glad that it`s like that, though. The only people who concider Harry Potter a kid`s book are the people who have never read past the 2nd one.

~*Angel_Wingz*~
i think j.k wanted the readers of the book to grow up with harry.... if that makes sense? so at first it was for kids but as harry grows up, i think its more for older readers....?

hotsauce6548
Originally posted by whirlysplat
Harry Potter is a kids book. In many ways most fantasy isbig grin Some try and break the mold e.g. The rape scene at the start of Thomas Covenant.

Are you going to support that statement at all?

2Tidus!
With all the flirting, snogging, killing, betraying, killing Dumbeldorstick out tongue, the sixth book has got my rating of 13+.
However I'm not sure about the others, they aren't really horryfing or anything. Actually, the fifth is too, with Mad Eye taking out his eye, and Sirious dying... The story of a tragic boy who lives with three insane people.

hotsauce6548
Was the third movie rated PG-13? Or just PG?

LiveAndLetDie
It was PG

Saratn
Well at least everybody agrees that this isn't really intended to be a young childrens book (under thirteen) even though I've read the first five before I was twelve.

Lana
I think that the series is designed so as Harry and the characters get older and more mature, the writing style and events of the stories also get more mature and are geared more towards an older audience. Each book is progressively darker than the last, which should be expected. I'd say from book three on it's not really for under 12.

DarkC
I was quite stunned to register the use of the word "****" in HBP. erm

vaya_the_elf
I was also, but Harry is getting older. Guessing they did that to make it seem more real I guess.

Although I don't think its for younger children anymore. They are getting darker, and I think there are suppose to as harry gets older.

DarkC
See, even KMC blocks it!

hotsauce6548
Originally posted by DarkC

What word are we talking about, here? Like, can you give me the first letter?

I'm really lost. If it is the 'worse' four-letter word, than I must have missed it.

If it's damn, than I didn't know that was a curse... confused

Imaginary
Originally posted by DarkC

As was I.

Originally posted by hotsauce6548
What word are we talking about, here? Like, can you give me the first letter?

I'm really lost. If it is the 'worse' four-letter word, than I must have missed it.

If it's damn, than I didn't know that was a curse... confused

It was $lut

Lana
That didn't even register to me as being anything special, really, when I saw the "****" in posts here I though it was f*ck and was thinking "Uh....that wasn't in the book anywhere...."

ladygrim
no expression

belbel300
Lets look at the books though, each book, Harry has grown a year, as have the people who were reading it (sometimes 2 or 3 years older). If the book had stayed as it was in the 1st book, she would lose her audience, I am pleased that the past few books have been as grown up and interesting as they have been, or I wouldn't have kept on reading them. Happy Dance Happy Dance

weegie
12 isn't such a young age these days. But there is some stuff in book 6 that I don't think even the toughest 12 year old could handle.
I got so fed up when on the news and newspapers and everything they were saying 'and the latest kids book' etc or 'kids will be queing for the book' or 'children worldwide are reading the book' all the time. The book is seen as a kids book by lots of people even though a very large number of adults read it, n so i was embarased about buying it - lol. When i was queing up before midnight - ppl were coming out of nightclubs- and the police were about because they were harassing the adults - calling us sad etc!
I think it is a childs book - however - its older children and adults who mainly read it. And everyone grows up with the books - i think thats very good. By the time Harry is an adult - the original child readers will be aswell

Sectumsempra
who was called a "sl-t"????? oooo was that with ginny?

sailorsun004
well I have a cuz thats 11 and she reads like high school books and understands them and isnt afraid by scary books and stuff so A very tough 11 year old like her can take it. i know cuz she finished her copy within hours and wasnt creeped out at all

Saberstylemasta
Originally posted by Sectumsempra
who was called a "sl-t"????? oooo was that with ginny?

No, it was voldemorts mother.

Burner
I agree with the name of this topic, 'cause Harry Potter is a fine gentleman.

polowahine4
i think that all the books have been kinda dark and stuff but younger kids wouldn't really pick up on it. like in the first book i read it wen i was like 8 and the scary images didn't even register to me, but a week ago i decided to reread all the books and now i can actually see the man drinking unicorn blood and see voldie on the back of quirels head. that's scary stuff! so i think that younger kids can read the books because stuff like that doesn't really register but older people can read them too cuz they can think about those things and it leaves a bigger impression. but maybe parents should be a little more careful about letting there children read the 5th and 6th books.

NewLoveIntrest
The books are more gruesome and hormones are raging throughout the whole new HP book.

NewLoveIntrest
I have a friend who is 13 and can not read HP books. It is because of the Dark Magic. BS.

Potter124
Oh please! Harry Potter exposes kids to the real world like death,love and everything in between! Kids need to learn what it is like to experiance death and love and sacrifice and hardshipss! I mean thats what my mum and dad did and my sister died and my mum lost her job and my bf broke up with me all at the same time!

Potter124
and I did'nt know how to deal with it, HP sorta tells you how to deal with all that

Potter124
NewLoveIntrest-thats what happens when your 16 and honestly I am not trying to be mean to yur freind or you but tell me how the book teaches Dark Magic

bubbles33
i think that it is ok for most ages until book 4 where it should be 12+.

hpfan811
i read the 1-5 books when i was 10 to 11 and i have tons of friends that started reading them in 3rd grade!

Emily_depp
infieri ? whats that sorry

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.