HBP - mistakes?!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

weasel
Hey, i'm not sure if there is a thread about this already but i couldn't find one (sorry if there is).
I dont know if any of you have noticed this, but me and Weegie definitely have. In HBP we've noticed some things that don't seem to be correct, that have gone against what the first five books say.

These are:
- that first years are allowed to play on the house Quidditch teams (that's when they have the tryouts for Gryffindor).
- also (Weegie pointed this out to me) on page 454, Slughorn is talking about Ron but he says the name 'Rupert' which is obviously a mistake, but it still seems like a silly mistake, which i don't think JKR would make.

There were a few more, though i can't remember them right now. But i will point them out when i do.

daeri
isn't a mistake, Slughorn is just very bad with Ron's name... he made a mistake before, and Harry told him it was Ron... but later he seemed to forget again, and Harry didn't take the time to tell him he was wrong about Ron's name.. seemed to be pointless wink

weasel
Hmm, true. Slughorn did call Ron 'Ralph' before. I suppose it seemed like a mistake to me because 'Rupert' Grint plays Ron Weasley in the films and so i thought she might have made a mistake - just a coincidence i guess. But still, about the first years playing Quidditch?! What's that all about?!

daeri
I don't know, I didn't noticed.. where does it stand in the book?

GodricaG
Don't forget, Molly says that Slughorn never noticed Arthur either; he wasn't important enough. Getting Ron's name wrong just means that Slughorn doesn't think he's worth remembering.

First year's can play on the Quidditch team--it's just that they usually aren't good enough to make it.

Here's something that's bothering us: Fred and George said that Professor Quirrell had taught them the year before Harry and Ron started. In HBP, Dumbledore says that no professor has lasted longer in the DADA position for longer than a year.

Phoenix
Originally posted by weasel
Hey, i'm not sure if there is a thread about this already but i couldn't find one (sorry if there is).
I dont know if any of you have noticed this, but me and Weegie definitely have. In HBP we've noticed some things that don't seem to be correct, that have gone against what the first five books say.

These are:
- that first years are allowed to play on the house Quidditch teams (that's when they have the tryouts for Gryffindor).
- also (Weegie pointed this out to me) on page 454, Slughorn is talking about Ron but he says the name 'Rupert' which is obviously a mistake, but it still seems like a silly mistake, which i don't think JKR would make.

There were a few more, though i can't remember them right now. But i will point them out when i do.

maybe they changed the rules about quidditch, or they were just trying out anyway to see if they could beat the rule.

Also, slug called ron rupert bcos slug is rubbish with the names of anyone who is not big or important

weasel
It is in the chapter 'After The Burial' i think, when Harry, Hagrid and Slughorn are in Hagrid's hut after they bury Aragog. (to daeri)

Are you sure that first years are allowed to play on te team, i'm pretty sure that Harry was an excepton back in his first year. They said that he was the youngest person to play seeker in over a hundred years or something didn't they?! (to GodricaG)
BTW where does it say that Quirrell had taught them the year before? And even if he did, it was probably a different subject and not DADA? Or does it say it was DADA? I think i might go and check...

Kella
Well...I dunno...maybe because Quirrel died before the end of his second term...I dunno? Maybe Quirrel came in the middle of the first year because the other teacher quit. Kinda like Firenze came mid-term.

I dunno...

weegie
JK wouldn't put rupert instead of ron would she, lol. She knows we would pick up on this so she would change it right??

DarkCanadian
How could McGonagall have remembered that Neville's grandma failed her Transfiguration OWL?

Kella
Maybe they were in the same class? McGonagall isn't exactly a spring chicken.

DarkCanadian
But she couldn't have remembered after all those years unless she has insanely good memory.

Kella
I think she does. She's not ancient or anything. I mean, if you are friends with someone and they fail a class that you fancy...wouldn't you remember? Not that I know if they were friends, but still...

shaber
that first years are allowed to play on the house Quidditch teams (that's when they have the tryouts for Gryffindor). I expect that first years just weren't chosen, but were still allowed to apply.

- also (Weegie pointed this out to me) on page 454, Slughorn is talking about Ron but he says the name 'Rupert' which is obviously a mistake, but it still seems like a silly mistake, which i don't think JKR would make. Slughorn just didn't find Ron interesting, he isn't nice to ordinary students.

Elessea
It never says first years arn't allowed to play. It said that first years weren't allowed to own thier own brooms. They just didn't usually back the team, because they usually don't have the natural talent and many of them havn't even learned how to fly yet.

Director_Joe
I saw one (actually my friend pointed it out) on the first page of the third chapter (American edition) it said something about harry breathing against the window and fug....yes, fug....I believe she meant fog...

Bubbapilot
Originally posted by Director_Joe
I saw one (actually my friend pointed it out) on the first page of the third chapter (American edition) it said something about harry breathing against the window and fug....yes, fug....I believe she meant fog...

Actually I think she meant to say "fug". It is a British thing....

Here I pulled this definition off the web:

an airless smoky smelly atmosphere

Not that I'm an expert in British language or anything, heck it took me half the book to figure out what "trainers" were!?!

Director_Joe
Well that would explain it then... I was a little unsure bout it... thanks for clearin that up for me!

Saberstylemasta

These are:

ok, slughorn also called run, "Ralph, " so that was intentional.

and if first years aren't allowed to play quidditch, how come arry did, and they siad a century ago somebody did.

Phoenix
Originally posted by Bubbapilot

Not that I'm an expert in British language or anything, heck it took me half the book to figure out what "trainers" were!?!

yeah its a british thing! big grin You know us Brits, we have to complistercate everything laughing out loud

ladygrim
laughing out loud

tigress
Originally posted by Phoenix
yeah its a british thing! big grin You know us Brits, we have to complistercate everything laughing out loud

Totally, hey Phoe din know u were in the UK with me hun how ya doin

HimoKun

And the British term, 'snogging'. I'm like what the hell?

crazy_c
I hate that word...

TheSun

Lol, what do you call trainers?!?

Luna150
Originally posted by HimoKun
And the British term, 'snogging'. I'm like what the hell?

lol everytime it the the word 'snog' i kept thinking of the all the non british folk going 'huh'?

misslilsweetie
snog means kiss
harry was allowed to play quiddtich cause he had extremely good talent and first yrs only can to the tryouts cause Its HARRY whose the captain...cause hes the CHOSEN ONE AND EVERYTHING hes famous and everyone wants to be on the team even if they suck
cause of HARRY

leigh123
yeah he just cant remember ron's real name if his life depended on it
and i dont think that there was ever a ruke about being a first year i think it was just that harry was the only first year good eneough to play his first year i mean half of them didnt even kno how to fly a broom

TheVapor
Originally posted by Kella
Well...I dunno...maybe because Quirrel died before the end of his second term...I dunno? Maybe Quirrel came in the middle of the first year because the other teacher quit. Kinda like Firenze came mid-term.

I dunno...

Voldemort wanted to teach DADA so much that every teacher who took the position only did it one year like dumbledore said. I think Quirrel got two years because on his second year voldemort was apart of him and curse or no curse voldemort put on the position he needed Quirrel to help him get the stone. so he gave quirrel a second year of teaching

ShaKoon
does anyone think that in the 7th book, harry and hermione should fall in love?

ShaKoon
also "snogging" is so annoying!

IceWithin
I read HBP, and I still have no clue what trainers are huh

Saberstylemasta
Harry and Hermionie will never fall in love. PRESENT ALL OF YOUR IDEAS IN ONE POST! and Dumbledore ment he could never keep a DADA teacher for more than one year at a time

Phoenix
Originally posted by tigress
Totally, hey Phoe din know u were in the UK with me hun how ya doin

Yeah I'm from Cambridge big grin

Whereabouts are you?

Phoenix
Originally posted by IceWithin
I read HBP, and I still have no clue what trainers are huh

they are also known as:

Training shoes
Sneakers
Hi-tops
running shoes

can't think of any other names...

TheSun
they are also known as:

Training shoes
Sneakers
Hi-tops
running shoes

can't think of any other names... Which one do Americans use?

The Faulken
All of them it just depends on the person.

AngelGirl
If u look their are also spelling mistakes to!

Skull_Racer
i don't know if i'm right or not, im going to have to re-read the 5th, but don't they say that muggles can't see dementors, or does dudley feel it but not see it. anyway, i wasn't sure about that.

TheSun
Originally posted by Skull_Racer
i don't know if i'm right or not, im going to have to re-read the 5th, but don't they say that muggles can't see dementors, or does dudley feel it but not see it. anyway, i wasn't sure about that.
Yep Muggles can't see Dementors, that's why Dudley runs right into it.

Saberstylemasta
Originally posted by ShaKoon
does anyone think that in the 7th book, harry and hermione should fall in love? Originally posted by ShaKoon
also "snogging" is so annoying!

Harry and Hermionie won't, will never, and shouldn't fall in love. Besides this isn't the right place to be saying that. Present ALL of your ideas in ONE POST.

Originally posted by misslilsweetie
snog means kiss
harry was allowed to play quiddtich cause he had extremely good talent and first yrs only can to the tryouts cause Its HARRY whose the captain...cause hes the CHOSEN ONE AND EVERYTHING hes famous and everyone wants to be on the team even if they suck
cause of HARRY
well if they use the word "kiss" anyway why the crap would you use "snog?" I mean that doesn't even sound good.

TheSun
Originally posted by Saberstylemasta
Harry and Hermionie won't, will never, and shouldn't fall in love. Besides this isn't the right place to be saying that. Present ALL of your ideas in ONE POST.

well if they use the word "kiss" anyway why the crap would you use "snog?" I mean that doesn't even sound good.
It's a British term...HBP is a British book... work it out yourself

Saberstylemasta
Originally posted by TheSun
It's a British term...HBP is a British book... work it out yourself

Well they used the word kiss in that british book. Why use two different words that mean the same thing?

TheSun
Originally posted by Saberstylemasta
Well they used the word kiss in that british book. Why use two different words that mean the same thing?
They don't mean exactly the same thing, 'kiss' insinuates softness and tenderness, whilst the other is quite onomatopoeic, indicating a forcefulness.

Hermione202
Originally posted by TheSun
They don't mean exactly the same thing, 'kiss' insinuates softness and tenderness, whilst the other is quite onomatopoeic, indicating a forcefulness.

what ? this is confusing me.

Zandra Shinto

These are:

Well, if I'm not mistaken, I believe those first years didn't make it on the team anyways. ^^; My guess is that Harry (or JK) forgot about it.

Also, maybe JK was just giving a shout out to Rupert when she made that "mistake". wink Neva know.

sailorsun004
well, The rupert thing is because in the book it stated that the fat guy (forgot name right now sorry) didnt really notice anyone with a non famous family. I think thats why jkr wrote that-on purpose

sailorsun004
they put the word snogging and kissing in the same book because kissing is just maybe a kiss goodnight while snogging is like out of breath crazyness '-'

sailorsun004
so sorry to spam this is my last time ever meant to put this in last post SORRY

The Alpha
I think the Felix Felicis idea was rubbish. Isn't Voldemort intelligent enough to make this potion and give it to his followers to drink it before going anywhere?

DanZeke25
Originally posted by The Alpha
I think the Felix Felicis idea was rubbish. Isn't Voldemort intelligent enough to make this potion and give it to his followers to drink it before going anywhere?

not necesarily... he might not be good at potions, and it does take 6 months

TheSun
Originally posted by The Alpha
I think the Felix Felicis idea was rubbish. Isn't Voldemort intelligent enough to make this potion and give it to his followers to drink it before going anywhere? If they drank it all the time they would die of poisoning. Slughorn has only ever drank it twice.

Phoenix
Originally posted by Hermione202
what ? this is confusing me.

TheSun means that 'kissing' is about being tender and loving, and can happen between platonic friends. 'Snogging' is more what teenagers do in night clubs - Ron and Lavender behaviour really! big grin

sailorsun004
lol

~*Angel_Wingz*~
this isnt a mistake but on my book some words didnt print on page 483 uk book, what does it say after 'No', said Katie, shaking her'...???

div
it sez..shaking her head ruefully everyones been asking me but i havent got a clue

Saberstylemasta
She freakin' made Slughorn call Ron things like "rupert and ralph" because slughorn is biased and forgetful.

Saberstylemasta
TheSun means that 'kissing' is about being tender and loving, and can happen between platonic friends. 'Snogging' is more what teenagers do in night clubs - Ron and Lavender behaviour really! big grin

Kissing can't happen between platonic friends (at least REAL kissing) Do you even know what platonic means?

sailorsun004
yeah thats kinda like what I said...he's only forgettful about people who aren't in famous families

sk8stuff09
in the beginning chapter of GoF they say that the riddle family(tom senior, his wife, and tom jr. aka volde) were all murdered in their house. in HBP they say that toms parents seperated, and tom became and orphan. wtf? am i missing something?

APIECEOFME
Originally posted by sk8stuff09
in the beginning chapter of GoF they say that the riddle family(tom senior, his wife, and tom jr. aka volde) were all murdered in their house. in HBP they say that toms parents seperated, and tom became and orphan. wtf? am i missing something?
No, in the beginning of GoF it says that "the elderly Mr. and Mrs. Riddle and their grown-up son, Tom" all died. The "grown up son Tom" was Voldemort's father and the elderly Mr. and Mrs. Riddle, his grandparents.

Phoenix

merope got tom with a love potion, when she stopped using it he left her and went back home. Merope had voldie at an orphanage and died. When Voldie grew up, he figured out what happened and killed his dad and his grandparents ((opening of GoF))

~*Angel_Wingz*~
Originally posted by div
it sez..shaking her head ruefully everyones been asking me but i havent got a clue

ok thanks smile

also why dont people get that slughorn calling Ron, Rupert wasnt a mistake, Slughorn didnt find Ron important enough to remember his name but at least remembered it starts with an R so he called him Ralf and Rupert...

babysooner13
Come to think of... *looks around as everyone leans in*, there IS a mistake in the book... *goes to fetch my copy of HBP*... *turns to page 342*... ah, here it is... Okay, it's very easy to catch because it's in the first paragraph. It says:
"Please, come in, sit down, Minister!" fluttered Mrs. Weasley, starightening her hat. Have a little purkey, or some toodling... I mean--"
See, if you haven't already figured it out yet, JKR forgot a quote. Here's how it should be:
"Please, come in, sit down, Minister!" fluttered Mrs. Weasley, starightening her hat. "Have a little purkey, or some toodling... I mean-"
I feel so much better now.

~*Angel_Wingz*~
that mistake isnt in the uk version...well not in mine anyway...

Luna150
Kiss: Is just lips

Snog: French kissing with TONGUES

Now stop complaining about british slang, its a british book so live with it.

babysooner13
Originally posted by ~*Angel_Wingz*~
that mistake isnt in the uk version...well not in mine anyway...

I have one of the hard cover ones. Maybe I'm the only one that has it. I don't know. I'm just saying mine has a mistake.

babysooner13
Originally posted by Luna150

Whose complaining? Jsut asking... I want to know. wink

hotsauce6548

We weren't complaining. blink

Obviously, it's a British book, with British slangs. no expression

2Tidus!

Thank god it was british slang. I went on webster and didn't find anything, I was thinking I'm way behind my age in poor vocabulary.

THanks for clearing that up, I was beginning to think Snog is to make out or something...

Luna150
Well no one was exactly complaining, rather saying it was stupid to put the word 'snogging' in the book and she should have just uses kissing. Dude we have much stupider slang words then THAT!

Clovie
I wanna say that i'm proud of myself that i understood that song and trianers thing lol (without having english as the 1st language stick out tongue)

also of course that SLughorn made the mistake and not JK

as for the first years playing quiditch i was wondering too..but it's nott hat important since none of them got into team.

as for typing mistakes i was just correcting them while reading..i had '.doc' version bag

and tbh..i've noticed something what disturbed me a bit..but now i don't remeber anymore confused

sailorsun004
well...the first year things doesnt bother me...its not like they couldn't get on the team, for a first...its just they havent, or else they harry couldn't have. that might be wrong...havent read the first 5 in a very long time. Plus why couldn't their be first years there to admire harry? I mean there were a few hufflepuffs as well...i dont think jk would have made that mistake. Everything she did had a purpose...I hope

Clovie
Originally posted by sailorsun004
well...the first year things doesnt bother me...its not like they couldn't get on the team, for a first...its just they havent, or else they harry couldn't have. that might be wrong...havent read the first 5 in a very long time. Plus why couldn't their be first years there to admire harry? I mean there were a few hufflepuffs as well...i dont think jk would have made that mistake. Everything she did had a purpose...I hope with the huffepuffs coming there...lol

after noticing it Harry asked everyone not from Griffindor to go away...so it wasn't a mistake faa shore

Anoushka
Originally posted by crazy_c
I hate that word...

i agree...sounds rather..crude messed

then again the action is too roll eyes (sarcastic) ron-and-lavender style,that's right yes

i think we've cleared up the first two questions (repeatedly) laughing out loud has anyone spotted any other mistakes?

babysooner13,i dont get you post,it's just the same thing repeated messed

kaidaboo
iv noticed jk contidicts her self alot you would thinkthere would be ppl proofreading and double checkin alll her details ..like in the 3rd book they say no one will believe 3 teems about what occored durin the conversation with serioius and peter petigrew but why couldnt they use truth serum or a pensive...or when harry witnissed voldermorts return..i8 know some of you are just conserned with the 6th book but honestly i have so many problems with that book i dont want to ellaborate and not everyones read it soi dont wanna ruin n e thing for n e one...but n e ways bback to my first point does n e one agree with me about being able to clear seriouss name.????i know it would ruin the suspence in the other books but she shouldnt have put things in her books like a pensive or truth serum if it want gonna be used for the most obvious reasons

kaidaboo
and wasnt each book suppose to be longer than the last book..i thuoght that is how it was intended..does n e one know???if you do fill me in

SltherinQueenDM
when it says that Harry's the youngest player of the century it means that 1st years usally don't get picked because they usally don't know how to fly or anything yet!!!

O0oKk
why does it always say he's tieing his trainers?? what are those? like.. tennisshoes? or what?

Laviera_j
Don't know if anyone put this, but in the thrid film, it opens with Harry saying

"Lumos Maxima!" but underaged wizards can't do magic outside school.

A serious lapse on Alfonso's part.

NightCrawler341
in the beginning chapter of GoF they say that the riddle family(tom senior, his wife, and tom jr. aka volde) were all murdered in their house. in HBP they say that toms parents seperated, and tom became and orphan. wtf? am i missing something? Not sure if this was answered yet, haven't read the last page of this thread, but in GoF it wasn't Tom Senior, his Wife, and Tom Jr. (aka voldy), it was Tom Senior, and Tom seniors parents. Voldemort went and killed his father and his grandparents.

NightCrawler341
Originally posted by babysooner13
I have one of the hard cover ones. Maybe I'm the only one that has it. I don't know. I'm just saying mine has a mistake. No, I had it too.Originally posted by kaidaboo
and wasnt each book suppose to be longer than the last book..i thuoght that is how it was intended..does n e one know???if you do fill me in There was no rule fo that.Originally posted by Laviera_j
Don't know if anyone put this, but in the thrid film, it opens with Harry saying

A serious lapse on Alfonso's part. HBP MISTAKES!

Now, to clear up the First Year Quidditch business, there is no rule saying that First years cannot play on the Quidditch team, but since none of them don't even know how to fly, they usually don't get picked. Harry wasn't a exception, he was a good flyer.

air
Originally posted by Laviera_j

A serious lapse on Alfonso's part.

yeah i thought that too and another thing which REALLY REALLY gets me is that Harry has changed from green eyes to blue...if as the majority of us recognise that him having green eyes it so important to the plot then WHY??? does he have blue i mean he could wear contacts or even they could change them on a computer for close up work where people would recognise that there not that colour...sorry it just really grates me!!

kaidaboo
no one answered my question why couldnt the kids use truth serum or a penmsive to show whut went on durin the convo with peter petigrew...n e one have e ideas?

evilosity
Kissing and snogging are two different things...snogging is like the term making out...when you make out with someone you don't just kiss, you touch and grope a bit too, which is why the term snogging is used. And in GoF, they say Tom Senior's Father, Tom Senior's Mother, and Voldie's Dad. We've already established these things so I will move on. In my book there is no mistake for Mrs. Weasley saying the purkey and tooding thing, sometimes I don't think there are mistakes with that kind of thing because of how when JK writes she uses ` instead of the usual ".
I hate how on page 13, the Prime Minister thinks Sirius' name like the word Serious when Sirius is a British name and he's British. But anyways...I don't remember the part about the conversation with Pettigrew, if you'd like an answer kaidaboo, could you put it in a bit more detail what you're asking, it would help a lot. Thank You. Also...there is a mistake on page 23, and I've checked over 10 books, and they're all like that. If you look around the middle of that page...23...if you need to be reminded, when the line 'He's only quacking!' said the Prime Minister weakly...etc...' You'll notice that not only there, but throughout the book as well, in between words are double spaces instead of single. Infact, if you don't believe me, you can measure, simply by looking up at the lines above or below to see that the spacing is bigger, like the word under 'said' in that line is 'maybe' and then next to 'maybe' is the word 'go', and if you look, it's quite easy to notice that the spaces between 'said' and 'the' compared to 'maybe' and 'go' are definitely different. If you don't get it just try and compare that line with some other ones. there are a few more mistakes but I'm going to sit back and relax to see if anyone else can find them... have fun!

Saithis
if you look in your book, on the right side the words in one paragraph end in one line and if the words are to short, they must make double spaces, if they dont do that, they wouldnt end in one line

i hope you understand what i want to say

Syren
Originally posted by Pielover666
Kissing can't happen between platonic friends (at least REAL kissing) Do you even know what platonic means?

laughing Imbecile... the word kiss generally refers to a polite kiss, on the cheek, on the hand, perhaps even on the lips... so yes, platonic is relevant. It also means kissing of a more tender type. Snogging is applied to horny teenagers.

Syren
Originally posted by evilosity
Also...there is a mistake on page 23, and I've checked over 10 books, and they're all like that. If you look around the middle of that page...23...if you need to be reminded, when the line 'He's only quacking!' said the Prime Minister weakly...etc...' You'll notice that not only there, but throughout the book as well, in between words are double spaces instead of single. Infact, if you don't believe me, you can measure, simply by looking up at the lines above or below to see that the spacing is bigger, like the word under 'said' in that line is 'maybe' and then next to 'maybe' is the word 'go', and if you look, it's quite easy to notice that the spaces between 'said' and 'the' compared to 'maybe' and 'go' are definitely different. If you don't get it just try and compare that line with some other ones. there are a few more mistakes but I'm going to sit back and relax to see if anyone else can find them... have fun!

Try to write a paragraph on a word program on your computer and notice that if you centre align the paragraph, some words will be separated with double spacing. It's just the way it goes... she could, however, have used a hyphen in the word 'Surely', with the first part of the word on the first line and the second part on the second. And you're being anal stick out tongue

bubbles33
yeah, snog annoys me 2, i call sneakers etc sandshoes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.