Virtua Fighter Fans

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

GreenFist
This Thread is only about The Virtua Fighters Game. If you want to ask a question please feel freely to ask about VF

dAngEr_Is_gO!
I am a huge VF fan but my brother and I were discussing why it is not as popular worldwide as Tekken, despite having the vastly superior fighting sytem. What we put it down to is that there really isn't much in the way of character development. Apart from fighting style and apparel there is nothing to make you interested in one character over another (I play as either Wolf or Lion - as I do his fighting style). Also, there are no individual character endings.
Having Dural as the boss all the time is getting old.

So my question is, why do you think the VF series has not reached mass popularity like the Tekken series?

SaTsuJiN
because VF's gameplay is too clunky.. it feels like fighting in a box blindfolded.. theres no real freedom even though the game is 3d.. which is why I prefer soul calibur

GreenFist
Originally posted by dAngEr_Is_gO!
I am a huge VF fan but my brother and I were discussing why it is not as popular worldwide as Tekken, despite having the vastly superior fighting sytem. What we put it down to is that there really isn't much in the way of character development. Apart from fighting style and apparel there is nothing to make you interested in one character over another (I play as either Wolf or Lion - as I do his fighting style). Also, there are no individual character endings.
Having Dural as the boss all the time is getting old.

So my question is, why do you think the VF series has not reached mass popularity like the Tekken series?

Don't get it wrong it's a very popular game. I don't know if you know that when a game really don't have to advertise on T.V. it's really a popular game. Also the reason why i believe why VF have stages with walls is because in the old games of VF it did not have stages with walls and if you play other fighting games there are no stages with walls. So I think the reason why they put stages in the game now because to much games don't have stages with walls. One more thing the stages with walls you can have your rival against a wall hit them up in the air and do massive combo's because once they hit the wall they bounce off the wall.

SaTsuJiN
yeah the wall bouncing gets cheap.. (as also seen in tekken 4).. but I think that type of gameplay reliance can be solved by having more options to retaliate after being hit up against the wall.. most games with walls.. the only way to retaliate is to pray your friend is stupid enough not to abuse it..

GreenFist
Well you do get an option you can get stages with no walls.No wallls in the corners,Walls that breaks,and Walls

dAngEr_Is_gO!
One of the reasons I prefer the VF series to the Tekken series is that the combat is more realistic. I have done Northern Praying Mantis Style Kung Fu (Lion does Southern Mantis, but it's close) and JKD (Jacky) and most of the moves they do are legit and correctly executed, right down to the footwork. If you and your opponent have a different lead foot forward you can't get in close enough to pull of certain throws so you need to change stance in order to do it. In some instances a different throw will be executed based on this.
Also certain styles favor parrying attacks to straight blocks and this is reflected in the VF characters. If you watch Lion for example, instead of meeting force on force with a block, he moves his lead arm out slightly to divert the oncoming attack. The end result is a block, it's just a different and more accurate animation. It's these little touches I appreciate.
The Tekken series is started to cotton onto these nuances and I am starting to see them in Tekken5.

SnakeEyes
Man! I almost forgot about this game. I used to play it with my older brothers all the time, but that was a long time ago, so I don't really remember it that well...

Darkstorm Zero
While I appreciate th accuracy and fighting technique of Virtua fighter, I cannot ignore th overall shoddy character development and limited story.

That is the reason I preffer tekken and Soul Calibur/Blade series that Namco developed so well...

GreenFist
Yeah i do have to admit that there story was not well put toghter

GreenFist
VIRTUA FIGHTERS ROCKS!!!!

Fire
I just like the Tekken Characters more, and since I had Tekken one I never cared for another fighting game. I had one that I and my bro enjoyed why throw away money to buy something I might enjoy less.

snake_eyes616
I was raised on VF for the SEGA Genisis. I always got Wolf and my dad got Jacky and he totally pwned me everytime.

GreenFist
Originally posted by Fire
I just like the Tekken Characters more, and since I had Tekken one I never cared for another fighting game. I had one that I and my bro enjoyed why throw away money to buy something I might enjoy less.

Well that's there demos so you can play it and see if you like it or not

dAngEr_Is_gO!
Originally posted by snake_eyes616
I was raised on VF for the SEGA Genisis. I always got Wolf and my dad got Jacky and he totally pwned me everytime.

They really ironed out the weaknesses in Wolf that were present in the first couple of VFs. Since VF3 he is very well rounded but still packs a punch. I sent a lot of people on their way when they challenged me at the arcade when I was Wolf.

Fire
Originally posted by GreenFist
Well that's there demos so you can play it and see if you like it or not

I never got any PS or PSII demo's

GreenFist
Originally posted by Fire
I never got any PS or PSII demo's

You don't know any one that might own the game

GreenFist
They really ironed out the weaknesses in Wolf that were present in the first couple of VFs. Since VF3 he is very well rounded but still packs a punch. I sent a lot of people on their way when they challenged me at the arcade when I was Wolf.

Well mostly i like to play as Vanessa or Pai or Aoi sometime Sarah or Lau or Lei or Wolf well mostly everbody except Lion he is so boring

dAngEr_Is_gO!
Sarah is pretty tight actually. I belt a lot of people around with her. Aoi has a lot of chain counters which I don't have the patience for.
The reason I like Lion is because I am learning his style so it is interesting seeing how those moves on screen translate to real life. Like the real style its power is not in offence but in parrying, off-axising and countering. If you play him like that you'll have a lot more success. Going offensive with him can result in a severe beat down.

MrBones
did VF 4 already come out? what's the newest edition out now?

dAngEr_Is_gO!
VF4 Evolution. It has two new characters and they have reworked the AI. They actually recorded the best VF players in Japan playing the game and you can fight against AI that is based on the way they play. Now that my friends is solid!

GreenFist
Make sure you play NOT ON beginners

GreenFist
The one im playing with now is Aoi and her ring name is Hell.Cat with the Cat Disguse thing white clothes and neckle

Batman Wins
kool

SaTsuJiN
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3143353&did=1

snake_eyes616
In quest mode im using Jacky(2P, one with the jacket)with the orange body color and he has some cool ass shades to go along with it. oh and his name is MATTADOR(since my first name is Matt, lol) big grin

GreenFist
Vanessa:
Bandanna{ Green}
Night Vision
Green Clothes
Hand Genrades

RING NAME: TERMINATOR

snake_eyes616
lol, I can picture that^ laughing

Anyone else have one they wanna share?

GreenFist
I HATE BLACKWIDOW

snake_eyes616
whats that?

GreenFist
The Chamipon Sarah she's wears all gold

snake_eyes616
cool..uh..I mean, that sucks, lol

GreenFist
Yeah it's does and you know what else suck RPGS

snake_eyes616
not all.

GreenFist
But Most

snake_eyes616
Whose your favorite/least favorite fighter? I like Jacky and Shun Di best. I despise Lion. God, Lion is such a pussy.

GreenFist
Favorites:
Vanessa
Aoi
Lei-Fei
Lau Chan
Wolf
Jeffery
Pai
Sarah
Goh

Least Fav:
Lion
Jacky
Brad{ Kind of}

GreenFist
Oh and Dural, it does kind of suck that you can't face her in Quest mode

dAngEr_Is_gO!
Why do people hate Lion so much. If you play him right he is incredibly versatile and can really put the hurt on people. The style he uses is all about parrying and off-axising, so if you keep that in mind and don't go all offensive with him you'll be handing out the beatings rather than receiving them.

Anyway, my fav and least fav characters

Favorite:
Wolf
Lion
Sarah
Vanessa
Shun

Least Favorite
Jeffery (Wolf owns him)
Akira (I know he is one of the best but I haven't got the patience to use him properly)
Aoi (see Akira)
Lau (super cheap)

GreenFist
Why do people hate Lion so much. If you play him right he is incredibly versatile and can really put the hurt on people. The style he uses is all about parrying and off-axising, so if you keep that in mind and don't go all offensive with him you'll be handing out the beatings rather than receiving them.

Anyway, my fav and least fav characters

Favorite:
Wolf
Lion
Sarah
Vanessa
Shun

Least Favorite
Jeffery (Wolf owns him)
Akira (I know he is one of the best but I haven't got the patience to use him properly)
Aoi (see Akira)
Lau (super cheap)

I so agree with you on Akira, man i just push button and hope it works. Aoi she's easy{ not VF4} she can break bones.Jeffery is okay but Wolf does not own him even though he is slow{ REAL SLOW}. Lau is kind of boring, you get your oppent in the air then you hit alot of times.

The reason why i do not like Lion as much as the other character is because he's not as fast enough{ he brags to much to}. And he's Lines are kind of Cheesy. Maybe Japan Skater are like him. Also he's items are BORING, they should add on Spiky hair or four or big spikes. I take what i said about him and Japan. I meant France. That's another thing he does not talk French or sound like it.

dAngEr_Is_gO!
I totally agree about him being a whiny little bastard. And he does have some crappy lines. He was at his peak in VF2 I think. In later versions he has been watered down a bit.
Lau definately has a lot of floating combos as you say. That's what makes him cheap when the CPU is controlling him wink

GreenFist
But How do you not like Aoi, she's GOOD

dAngEr_Is_gO!
Don't get me wrong, I think Aoi could be a good character but I don't have the patience to learn all her chain counters and throws which are her forte.

GreenFist
Oh, Ill tell the truth her combo's are kind of bad

dAngEr_Is_gO!
Interesting! I always thought from facing the CPU that her offence was quite weak but she always countered and threw me around like a rag doll which was what did the damage.

GreenFist
Yeah but if you block{Right+Down / P+k} then you can beat hear

GreenFist
Originally posted by GreenFist
Yeah but if you block{Right+Down / P+k} then you can beat hear

Also before i thought there was NO good Vanessa's because in VF4 she was the easy one to beat but in VF4EVO, she's the Hardest

dAngEr_Is_gO!
true that!

GreenFist
To me Brad doesn't feel like he would be a character in the VF series

snake_eyes616
he's too Italian, lol j/k

I agree with not learning how to properly use a fighter you wouldnt use to fight with anyway. I like someone you can pickup and play and learn some cool moves afterwards.

GreenFist
Yeah that's true. Also i hearc that VF4FT will be on X-box 360

GreenFist
Did any one else hear about this?

dAngEr_Is_gO!
News to me. Last time I heard they were working on VF5 and it was undergoing a big overhaul

GreenFist
They should add a new character, Oh that Sumo Wreslter they should bring him back

GreenFist
Has anyone else heard of him?

snake_eyes616
they had a sumo wrestler??

GreenFist
Yeah i think in the thrid but i think he left becuase he killed some one ..... hold im going to look it up for you

GreenFist
Okay it's on the 7th pargraph.

GreenFist
Okay it's on the 7th paragraph.http://www.tiger-marmalade.com/~marc/writing/sega_articles_historyofvf.html

snake_eyes616
oh, thanks smile

GreenFist
Yeah when i heard about it it was like " What"

snake_eyes616
I had no idea about him. Do you think he would have played like Jeffry?

GreenFist
No he would be better than Jeffery hold on im going to fing a picture of him

GreenFist
Here's a side picture of himhttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000K3XB/104-8102840-9803119?v=glance&s=videogames&me=standard&vi=pictures&img=1#more-pictures

GreenFist
OKay here is the best one's i can find of him

GreenFist
And this one .....

snake_eyes616
damn, he's HUGE! lol

GreenFist
He should be it be sad if he was skinny

snake_eyes616
yep

GreenFist
i just thought of something

OKay in Vanessa stroy it said that some group called the J6 killed her father, she heard that the J6 people was going after Sarah Braytn. Goh Story says that he's apart of the J6, Is Vanessa going to know that Goh is apart of the J6 club

GreenFist
I love my new sign

snake_eyes616
I never understood the whole "story" part of VF. Is there a site that can fill me in?

Oh, and your sig & av rock BTW

KILLBILLFREAK
I never understood the whole "story" part of VF. Is there a site that can fill me in?

Oh, and your sig & av rock BTW

Yes i know cool but read the storys of the website: www.virtuafighter.com or go to sega.com

snake_eyes616
Damn, you change your username too? lol

KILLBILLFREAK
Yep GreenFist was starting to get boring, i bet before you came in here you were like Who the h**** is KILLBILLFREAK? huh?

snake_eyes616
yup.

KILLBILLFREAK
big grin

KILLBILLFREAK
What about VF5?

KILLBILLFREAK
Tonight or Sat. im chaning my sign and avartar

snake_eyes616
PM me when you do, I want to see it.

KILLBILLFREAK
PM me when you do, I want to see it. okay

KILLBILLFREAK
Dang the person i asked to do it won't do it

snake_eyes616
cool av & sig. More KB.

KILLBILLFREAK
Yes i know yes cool

KILLBILLFREAK
WOW Nice I DID NOT EVEN NOTICE THAT WAS YOU COOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snake_eyes616
haha like my new sig and avy?

KILLBILLFREAK
Don't get fooled i do like yours but mine IS WAY BETTER,

KILLBILLFREAK
You still have not changed do you know how ?

snake_eyes616
Changed what?

KILLBILLFREAK
Changed what?
ur name thingy

snake_eyes616
oh, Im just going to leave it be since people alreadly know me as snake_eyes cool

KILLBILLFREAK
O okay

KILLBILLFREAK
Hey Mat have you seen the Virtua Fighters 5 preview? PLUS TWO NEW CHARACTERS.

KILLBILLFREAK
Mat r u there?

KILLBILLFREAK
anyone

KILLBILLFREAK
hello

Fallin Angel
Oh, I love Virtua Fighter. Its one of my top fav. fighting games of all time. My fav. character would have to be Aoi, I love using her speed and reversals to my advantage. I wonder when Virtua Fighter 5 is coming out, I saw a preview movie of it and the characters look awesome, they even added 2 new characters to the line up. ^_^

KILLBILLFREAK
Originally posted by Fallin Angel
Oh, I love Virtua Fighter. Its one of my top fav. fighting games of all time. My fav. character would have to be Aoi, I love using her speed and reversals to my advantage. I wonder when Virtua Fighter 5 is coming out, I saw a preview movie of it and the characters look awesome, they even added 2 new characters to the line up. ^_^

YOU ARE SOOOO FREAKIN COOL Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

KILLBILLFREAK
It's true

KILLBILLFREAK
If you have not seem the character check out "Virtuafighter.com" to see the character. Also Vanessa kind of looks like Beyonce!!!! Not lie

FeelGood
Its a great series no doubt.

I am who I am
Kinda better than Tekken, DOA, and SC in the gameplay department. Those games have the better story, graphics,and characters so that evens things out.

VF is the shit, aint played it in a while, tho.

FeelGood
What is so bad about VF's story anyway. Doesn't seem to popular.

At least they mix it up with who wins. Unlike SF.

Ryu wins, we get it!!

I am who I am
Originally posted by FeelGood
What is so bad about VF's story anyway. Doesn't seem to popular.

At least they mix it up with who wins. Unlike SF.

Ryu wins, we get it!!
1. Never said VF's story was bad
2. What does SF have to do wit anything?

FeelGood
I was talking about other people, lots of people say its bad. Don't know why, at least they don't have the same winner every time unlike SF.

I am who I am
Originally posted by FeelGood
I was talking about other people, lots of people say its bad. Don't know why, at least they don't have the same winner every time unlike SF. Why do you feel the need to continuously mention SF? And FYI Ryu won 1 tourney. In all honesty, the most famous of all fightin' franchises has the most famous FG character winin' the least of all main FG characters. How ironic...Capcom themselves even noticed it and made a joke about him only winin' once (by a cheapshot) and even stated that in all of the 10,000 fights, Ryu lost more than he won.

FeelGood
I mention what game I feel like. Is that a crime? roll eyes (sarcastic)

I am who I am
No it's not. I was just curious.

KILLBILLFREAK
Vf story is sumthin i dont really follow as much since of course they all have different stories

SaTsuJiN
VF5 is pretty damn awesome..have they announced any plans to bring VF5:R to console?

YodaIam
Playing 4 earlier. Its a hard game to play.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.