What Would You Teach in Your Film Class?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

amsedal

amsedal
Almost forgot! I want to do a comic book unit too! Will have to see where I can fit it, but this is what I came up with last night after watching American Splendor (horrible by the way).

Graphic Adaptations: Current Culture or Comic Trash? = excerpt from Sin City (with excerpt from novel), Matrix, Ghost World (with novel possibly), Road to Perdition (with novel possibly), excerpts from X-Men and Superman, Unbreakable

Cinemaddiction
I think "Dawn of the Dead" should have been your pick for "Biting Social Commentary", personally. Romero was incredibly upfront in regards to the capitalism of the 70's which still holds true today. I also think "Touch of Evil" should be bumped up to the first installment, because Orson Welles set the standard for visual narrative storytelling with that film.

..and the obvious, "Rebel Without a Cause" should be in the "Outcasts, Losers, and other Social Misfits" category. "Donnie Darko" is probably better reserved for "Modern Science in Cinema" or something.

Kudos on the Foreign Romance..thumb up

Myth
I wouldn't allow my students to use special effects from computers. This will force them to have to make good movies, not just good visuals.

Cinemaddiction
Alright, this is probably going to surprise a lot of people, maybe even scare them away, because some may have never known I was so deeply involved in movies, aside from watchin' them all the time..so..SURPRISE!

If I were to hold a film class, I'd probably do a semester on the most important and influential waves of film. We'll say a week per film to watch and digest, with the course being 10 months.

Month One: "The Silent Era - German Expressionism":
Metropolis, Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Nosferatu, and Pandora's Box

Month Two: "The Birth of Slapstick - Yuck, Yuck, Yuck!"
Duck Soup, City Lights, Three Stooges Excerpts, A Night at the Opera

Month Three: "Film Noir - The Smoking Gun"
Touch of Evil, Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, Angels With Dirty Faces

Month Four: "The Birth of Sci Fi - Messages from Beyond"
War o/t Worlds, Forbidden Planet, Day the Earth Stood Still, This Island Earth

Month Five: "The Melting Pot - Music, Murder, Politics, Poetry"
To Kill a Mockingbird, A Hard Day's Night, The Manchurian Candidate, Psycho

Month Six: "Hollywood Goes to Extremes - Ultraviolent Cinema"
JAWS, The Godfather, Dirty Harry, Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Month Seven: "Birthing a Blockbuster - Big Explosions, Big Profits"
The Terminator, Aliens, Batman, The Empire Strikes Back

Month Nine: "Spoofs and Satires and Gags, Oh My!"
The Naked Gun 2 1/2, Mafia, Don't be a Menace, This Is Spinal Tap

Month Ten: "When CGI Ruled the World"
LOTR:TTT, Star Wars: AOTC, Minority Report, A.I.

Myth
10 months? Semesters usually last 4-5 months. Thats like 2 semesters.

Cinemaddiction
There ya go.. semesters. I haven't been in grade school er whatever for almost...10 years so..

Myth
Well I was thinking more along the lines of college (or at least H.S.) but whatever.

amsedal
Awesome. Thanks for the replies so far!

- computer graphics = I'm not sure I agree even though my class is not a film-making class. Even Tarantino came around with Sin City...

- moving Touch of Evil = good point... even though you had it in your noir section? big grin

- Rebel without a Cause = I saw this for the first time last year, and it didn't resonate with me at all. Do you think it's still timeless for 17/18 year olds in the 21st century?

I really like your sci-fi grouping, I may use Day Earth Stood Still and Forbidden Planet now.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by amsedal

- Rebel without a Cause = I saw this for the first time last year, and it didn't resonate with me at all. Do you think it's still timeless for 17/18 year olds in the 21st century?

If not that, "East of Eden". That stories stronger, and more personal. "Rebel" I still think does the same, and I recommended it still, just because while the scenery and situations change, the same message is still there. Kids having to adapt to new surroundings, peer pressure, expectations of family, etc.

TheFilmProphet
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
"Rebel" I still think does the same, and I recommended it still, just because while the scenery and situations change, the same message is still there. Kids having to adapt to new surroundings, peer pressure, expectations of family, etc.

Exactly, one of the reasons why this classic film continues to live on through different generations.

Mandorallen

Month Two: war is hell"- "Saving private ryan", "Platoon", "schindlers list" "The deer hunter"

Month Three: BOB-the entire band of brothers series"

War o/t Worlds, Forbidden Planet, Day the Earth Stood Still, Star wars: a new hope

reservoir dogs , The Godfather, Sawshank redemption ,goodfella's, pulp fiction

The Naked Gun 2 1/2, Airplane, loaded weapon 1

LOTR:TTT, Star Wars: AOTC, terminator 2 judgement day.

i made a few changes...

keep in mind, I would show these films in college. I'm not gonna show a 4th grader "good fellas" or " pulp fiction "

ladygrim
big grin kewl xan i join your class

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Mandorallen

Month Two: war is hell"- "Saving private ryan", "Platoon", "schindlers list" "The deer hunter"

Month Three: BOB-the entire band of brothers series"

War o/t Worlds, Forbidden Planet, Day the Earth Stood Still, Star wars: a new hope

reservoir dogs , The Godfather, Sawshank redemption ,goodfella's, pulp fiction

The Naked Gun 2 1/2, Airplane, loaded weapon 1

LOTR:TTT, Star Wars: AOTC, terminator 2 judgement day.

i made a few changes...

keep in mind, I would show these films in college. I'm not gonna show a 4th grader "good fellas" or " pulp fiction "

Mmmm..you took mine and made changes that don't work. These are eras, and go by decades. My Sci Fi films are all from the 50's, Star Wars isn't. The "Extremes" were 70's, only The Godfather works there. Lastly, the CGI era, T2 wasn't dominated by CGI like AOTC and TTT were.

BackFire
My film class would primarily deal with horror films and the impact many of them have had on film in general.

MildPossession

brooksie
Cinemaddiction ~ Can I sign up for your class??

Dr. Strangelove
I would add:

Musical or film about music: Singin' in the Rain, Fantasia, Amadeus, Some Kind of Monster, Yellow Submarine.

Documentary: The Fog of War, Roger and Me, Hoop Dreams, Shoah.

Political or race: JFK, The Battle of Algiers, Do the Right Thing, X.

Sci-fi: 2001, Videodrome, Star Wars, Blade Runner, Alien, Metropolis.

The Classics: Ikiru, M, The Third Man, The 400 Blows, 8 1/2, Seven Samurai, Citizen Kane.

Animation: Pinocchio, Akira, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Toy Story.

Horror: The Shining, Nosferatu, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, first two "Dead" movies.

Mandorallen
Mmmm..you took mine and made changes that don't work.

lol, I'm just making changes that I would show to my class.

WindDancer
I would defenetly pick Fritz Lang's M for a social discussion. The film touches so many aspects of society and how a community transforms itself when a hideous murder spree takes place. Excellent film to discuss and show to a class room.

MildPossession
Yep, I would add M too.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.