homeless world cup scandal...oh the irony

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jaden101
less than 2 week after the G8 summit made its pledges to tackle poverty...headed up by a commited Tony Blair...the UK has denied temporary visas to several african football (soccer) teams to play in the homeless world cup..on the basis

THAT THEY ARE TOO POOR TO PAY THIER WAY

they home office who issues the visas were worried that the competitors will not return to their countries of origin after the event

the nations affected

Kenya
Burundi
Zambia
Nigeria
Cameroon

http://news.webindia123.com/news/showdetails.asp?id=99176&cat=World

PVS
i read it, but i dont get it...they were denied visas because they're poor?

Deano
most nigerian and cameroon players play in the top leagues in the world and earn up to 80 grand a week

Fishy
Basically... God that is insane. Real cheap of the UK. Real cheap.

jaden101
Originally posted by PVS
i read it, but i dont get it...they were denied visas because they're poor?

exactly...the UK government...that wishes to help African nations and combat poverty...deny visas to the homeless world cup teams because it believes they are to poor to pay their way while in Edinburgh (where the tournament is being held)

they also believe (and has actually happened before) that the athletes from those countries wont return home after the tournament finishes

what i dont understand is that all the players involved from all the countries involved are homeless...meaning that none of them are exactly well off and most likely none of which will be able to "pay their way" while in Edinburgh

hell...i cant even afford to pay my way in Edinburgh cause it's that bloody expensive

Fishy
You would think the organisation pays for it all... Or the country's where they come from...

Ushgarak
Where the heck does it say it was because they can't pay their way?

It is because they do not meet basic immigration criteria. Surely you are not suggesting that the law should be broken for their benefit?

jaden101
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Where the heck does it say it was because they can't pay their way?

http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/news/news.php?article=9564

http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/Soccer/0,,2-9-840_1739936,00.html

http://www.irna.ir/en/news/view/line-16/0507181392195727.htm

happy now?

dave123
Originally posted by jaden101
less than 2 week after the G8 summit made its pledges to tackle poverty...headed up by a commited Tony Blair...the UK has denied temporary visas to several african football (soccer) teams to play in the homeless world cup..on the basis

THAT THEY ARE TOO POOR TO PAY THIER WAY

they home office who issues the visas were worried that the competitors will not return to their countries of origin after the event

the nations affected

Kenya
Burundi
Zambia
Nigeria
Cameroon

http://news.webindia123.com/news/showdetails.asp?id=99176&cat=World Was there any need to bring Tony Blair into this? Did Mr Blair directly reject their application? Not that I'm defending him, I just hate it when a politician is blamed for something they didn't directly do...

jaden101
where did i say he was responsible for it?...thats right...i didn't...i just said that Tony Blair and by affiliation...his government...are supposed to be commited to helping Africa...

i know its not them personally...its the legal situation...but it does seem to smack of the old syndrome that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing

dave123
Fair enough, now justify why you mentioned him at all...

You've gotta remember that governments have more than one objective, and that actual political events from 2 weeks ago will take ages to actually implement into changes in the way the country is run.

jaden101

dave123
I seriously can't be bothered to explain what's wrong with your last paragraph, I'm tired.

But basically, it's some random joe sitting at his desk who declined the request - I doubt he read too much into it, and was just acting in accordance with laws. As I said, the rules won't have been changed at all since Blair's G8 events and what not... this is something trivial that people are making too big a deal over stick out tongue

jaden101
im sure it is...i mean...who gives a **** about some homeless Africans right?...well apparently not the foreign office...and apparently not you

jaden101
Originally posted by dave123
I seriously can't be bothered to explain what's wrong with your last paragraph, I'm tired.

whats wrong with it?...cause if you didnt know it...the metropolitan police are spending the tax payer money in this exact way

dave123
Send them a months wages, or some money you have saved away. I'm sure they'll be able to put that toward some kind of housing or food...

Or don't you give that much of a shit?

dave123
Originally posted by jaden101
whats wrong with it?...cause if you didnt know it...the metropolitan police are spending the tax payer money in this exact way The guy who recieved their application would have to go through so many people, and get backing from all of them, just to have money transfered from one thing to another - assuming he even knew about that, anyway. Plus, the time it'd take, the competition would have ended anyway stick out tongue

jaden101
Send them a months wages, or some money you have saved away. I'm sure they'll be able to put that toward some kind of housing or food...

Or don't you give that much of a shit?

actually i do that anyway...so yes...i do give that much of a shit

i also give money to the homeless as well...so thats the homeless and the Africans...and so i do give a shit about homeless africans....

dave123
I demand proof that all your earnings for a month have ever gone to someone else.

jaden101
you're probably right...it started the other day....COME ON YE SCOTLAND
big grin laughing

regardless...here is a link for anyone who wants to follow the tournament

http://www.streetsoccer.org/en/home/

dave123
I'm off to bed, but I'll leave you with this:

The Africans should have been allowed in to the country - I agree with you. But, the system does not take into account circumstances such as this, and money is not so easily redistributed as you seem to think. This is all politics, and lots of politics is paperwork. If there's gonna be room for emotions, exceptions, individual circumstances etc... on all application forms, then I'll tell you - their application would still be at the bottom of a very large pile right now.

It seriously is just a technicality in an unperfect system... unfortunately, the perfect system where they would be allowed in quite simply wouldn't be time efficient, or even economically viable.

GOOD NIGHT!

jaden101
I demand proof that all your earnings for a month have ever gone to someone else.

ask my bookies...or my pub landlord...or my mother...or the fruit machine at work... stick out tongue

goodnight...sleep tight...bed bugs...and all that shite

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.