Please Help Desperate and Stupid

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dragonza
For the Last Month I cannot access Pogo Game Site without getting HTPP500 Internal Server Problem. If I do manage to get into a game site the Internet keeps Freezing Up. Pogo help was NO Help. I have cleared my cookies. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Java. I have telephoned Microsoft and I have Internet Explorer 6 SP2 I have even taken the computer into the shop and asked them to reinstall Internet Explorer. I got my puter back today and still am having the same problems. I have ACG AntiVirus but too double check downloaded Norton and it did not find a virus. I downloaded Spyware from Microsoft and that found a couple of adware which it supposedly fixed. I have checked by POP up blocker and that is off. I have looked at the Add Ins and do not know which ones to delete. I have checked all the .dd files and the only one not found was msjava.dll. I have being battling now for 3 hours and have got nowhere. Found this site and am hoping that their is a genius out there who can tell me in laymans language what to do.

The Internet Explorer froze so many times that after sending report to Microsoft it kicked in and told me to download a fix it programme ..... it fixed nothing!!

Please Please help me

Marie (Dragonza)

yerssot
if it's an internal server problem, isn't the problem on their side?

Dragonza
It is not only that site. I downloaded the Error Nuker and could not get into the site too get my registration number. Managed to get it now and it fixed quite a few errors. Will let you know if that solves the problem.

Thank You so much for answering.

Dragonza
Thanks guys but beginning to think you are right. Took the puter in too have Internet Explorer reinstalled and still giving me the same problem. Think it is the site but still glad I found this site. Darn annoying as cannot get much in site help.

Dragonza

yerssot
what did their help say?

Clovie
maybe try opening it with different browser? confused

Dragonza
How do I do that? My browser comes through my service provider.

Dragonza
yersot: They just said clear cookies and temp file and told me too download some fix it files from microsoft which didnt help. Also to reinstall Java which I had done. Am beginning to wonder if it has anything to do with SP2. Any thoughts on that one.

Thanks guys.

Clovie
Originally posted by Dragonza
How do I do that? My browser comes through my service provider.

firefox < some different browser

and yes it is SP2 fault!! it's EVIL!!!!!! i've told ya before cry

Dragonza
yersot: Here is what Pogo said in detail::
Thank you for contacting Pogo.com Technical Support.

Some Anti-virus software packages have very high levels of protection available. That's great for keeping your computer free from viruses, but it can prevent you from playing our games. We suggest checking the documentation for the software to see if you can lower the settings for online web browsing.

Service Pack 2 has a lot of new security features added. So far, we have not encountered any major problems with it while playing our games. Below are some of the issues you may encounter, and how to address them.

If you have any other potential Service Pack 2 related issue(s) that are not covered below please let us know.

--- Pop-up Blocker ---

A pop-up blocker is added to Internet Explorer by Service Pack 2, and it's automatically turned on. It will let you know when certain windows are blocked and then allow you to view them. But in order to keep you from having to allow a lot of different entries you can do the following to allow all Pogo.com game site entries.

In Internet Explorer, click on the Tools menu > Internet Options > Privacy tab > Pop-Up Blocker - Settings button

In the field where it says, "Address of website to allow," type "pogo.com" (without the quotation marks). It will add an entry that looks like this:

*.pogo.com

That will allow all of the various areas of our site to appear on your screen including Tables, Profiles, Chat Help, and so on.

--- A Game is (or Games are) Cut Off at Bottom of Screen ---

If you are running Pogo games at 800x600 or lower resolutions, there's a chance that the 'status bar' at the bottom of the browser window may cut off the very bottom edge of the game screen. Our development team is investigating this issue at this time, and we are trying to devise a work-around in the meantime.

--- Additional Firewall/Security Measures ---

If you already have any internet security software that functions as either a pop-up blocker or firewall (i.e., Norton, McAfee, Zone Alarm, AVG, etc.), you may want to consider the following:

1. Installing SP2 will add a secondary layer of protection. While this may sound like a good idea, we have seen instances where there are conflicts that arise as a result of this "double layer".

2. You may proceed with installing SP2, however you will need to decide which one you want to be active. In other words, if you have a firewall software installed and you install SP2, one of them will need to be disabled.

3. If all else fails, please let us know by updating this incident, so we can further attempt to research the issue.
Me: Not too sure how too deactivate a firewall. That I will need help on. Would this cause IE too freeze up?

Told you I was stupid, so please bear with me.

Thanks

Marie

Dragonza
How do I uninstall SP?

Oh lord the questions and answers are coming in faster than I can think.

Marie

Clovie
you can't!!!! evillaugh it's EVIL!!!

Dragonza
Originally posted by Clovie
you can't!!!! evillaugh it's EVIL!!! miffed

Clovie
Sorrie..could have stopped myself embarrasment
it is a prven fact that SP2 is causing lotsa problems to various ppl
and it is not easy to get rid of it.

Dragonza
Thanks Clovie

Just downloaded PC MightyMac and will see if that fixes anything. After that I give up.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
then you have to uninstall windows or even clear your disk and re-install windows again

(the answer to getting rid of SP2)

SamuraiSquirrel
that is why i dont have SP haha

Dragonza
Well now folks after downloading MightyMax which found 107 errors I accessed the site ok but guess what. This page cannot be displayed came up again. Now I simply give up. Short of uninstalling windows and reinstalling it as suggested by yerssot there is nothing more I can do. I have spent a fortune on different downloads and am still having problems. Thats it folks I give up subject now closed forever. Sick and tired of the whole darn thing. Someone shld inform Microsoft that they are sick very sick.

yerssot
but a "page cannot displayed" error can mean that currently the site is experiencing problems

Dragonza
Well Mighty Max did not help in the least so that is more money wasted.
My Internet is still freezing. So will do what you suggest and uninstall Windows XP and reinstall. If I am registered with Microsoft will this affect my authorization code. Do you suggest I do this myself or get the computer tech. to do it.

Thanks Yerssot.

yerssot
if you have a legal copy, what should be the problem?

Dragonza
thanks yerrsot will try that

Dragonza
Thank You all for your help.

I took the computer in and they scanned and found two Trojan Horse Viruses embedded in the directory. The used F Secure Anti Virus and picked up what Norton and AVG missed. The problem now appears to be solved. The subject is now closed and I thank everyone for their input. Great site.

Love U All

Marie

yerssot
good to hear, I was fearing you would have posted that the problem was still not solved

Dragonza
Thanks Yerssot
Can u delete this message for me please as I cannot see where u do it.
Once again
Many many thanks

yerssot
you can't delete, only edit till 15 minutes after you posted

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.