Grannies Arrested While Attempting to Enlist

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PVS
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050722/ap_on_fe_st/raging_grannies_1

Raging Grannies' Fight to Enlist in Army

Associated Press

TUCSON, Ariz. - They call themselves the "Tucson Raging Grannies" and range in age from 65 to 81. And despite being decades older than the maximum age for recruits, they're upset because they can't enlist in the Army.

Five members of the group are fighting trespassing charges after they were cited at a protest here last week at the military recruitment center.

The group has protested on Wednesdays for the last three years outside the recruitment center.

But on July 13, five grannies went inside to try to enlist and were cited.

"We went in asking to be sent to Iraq so our kids and grandchildren can be sent home, but rather than listening to us, they called the police," said 74-year-old Betty Schroeder. "It was their place to tell us the qualifications, but they wouldn't even speak to us. They should've said, `You're too old.'"

Schroeder said her group may approach the Pentagon to see if they could be sent to Iraq.

Nancy Hutchinson, spokeswoman at the Army recruiting headquarters in Phoenix which oversees Tucson's recruiters, said people who disagree with the war should be contacting their legislators instead of bothering recruiters.

"They need to direct their frustrations at people who have the power to change things," Hutchinson said. "Recruiters don't make policy and they can't change policy. They have a job to do and they are following orders."

Schroeder said she hopes the trespassing charges will be dropped and an apology given to the group from the Tucson Police Department and from the recruiters.

"This was not a performance, a joke or civil disobedience," she said. "This was an enlistment attempt."

RedAlertv2
They should be able to enlist. Hooray for patriotic grannies!

FeceMan
Damn, PVS, I saw this one hours ago. (You're getting slow in your old age smile.) Was thinking about posting it, but I decided not to. It is humorous, though. Raging Grannies...heh.

cking
I think very well that these grannies have the right to regardless of age. if they want to go then let them go.

hh?
i know Armenian grannies can get violent at times stick out tongue

i guess they should have the right...sorta

cking
I know grannies can get violent at walmart especially in the produce department if you smart off to them.

Mist
What the f**k? what are they gonna do, smack people with their canes? run over people in their wheelchairs? tell long boring stories about the olden days until the enemy falls asleep?What the f**k?

but on a serious note, is there an age thing in the army to stop people?

i just read the part about the maximum age...embarrasment

hh?
we can use them as meat shield...no expression

cking
they may not have the potential to be foot soldiers but they would be used somewhere else that wouldn't involve combat.

hh?
such as...

Mist
making sandwiches for the hungry soldiers, knitting warm blankets for the cold nights, making a cup of tea at lunch time......

cking
yes, that is the kind of position they would be good at.

cking
I can't imagine granny shooting an m16 at terrorists.

Bardock42
Ha, just send them over....in less than a few months the problem will be solved.....

Afro Cheese
I honestly doubt they really want to go to Iraq, but even if they do want to go, they can't cause all's they'd do is get in the way.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
I honestly doubt they really want to go to Iraq, but even if they do want to go, they can't cause all's they'd do is get in the way.

Yes, but not for long, because they will get shot and then the Administration can make heroes out of them that loved there countrys so much that they fought for it despite being to old not like the liberal cowards that hate america and love terrorists and green tea What the f**k?

WindDancer
Originally posted by hh?
i know Armenian grannies can get violent at times stick out tongue

Yup, they're very protective of their granddaughters. wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.