What would Thomas Jefferson make of Dubya?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

whirlysplat
I wonder?

Suggestions.

Fishy
He'd kill him probably. Somebody who destroys the things he fought for is not going to be somebody he likes.

bilb
Quite simply he would be horrified

KidRock
He would most likely be happy that Bush is fighting for another countries freedom like he(jefferson) did for the U.S.

RedAlertv2
Jefforson faught for his own freedom. And the freedoms of US citizens, which are being destroyed by the Patriot Act

KidRock
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Jefforson faught for his own freedom. And the freedoms of US citizens, which are being destroyed by the Patriot Act

If by destroying freedom you mean makeing us all a lot safer then I agree. I could careless about the patriot act. I'm not a criminal, the govt can bug my whole house if they want.

BackFire
He's dead, who cares?

Bardock42
Ha...has nothing to do with the thread but KidRock's post reminded me of that:

Cleveland: I must say, I do feel a strange satisfation watchin' the black ball topple all those self-righteous white pins.
Joe: Can't blame 'em for being self-righteous, the black ball's in their neighborhood uninvited.
Cleveland: The black ball's done nothing wrong.
Joe: If the black ball's innocent it has nothing to fear.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by bilb
Quite simply he would be horrified

Exactly.But there are several presidents we have had in the last 60 years or so that he would be horriified of what they did while president as well though.

SlipknoT
He would be Disgusted.

Mr Parker

Yeah Jefferson,Washington,and Adams and the other presidents that early on faught for our freedoms would be horrified to see what Dubya and presidents of recent years have done to this country and how the patriot act has been destroyed by them. mad

cking
Jefferson would be happy to sleep in his own grave than to listen to what the politicians have say of today.

lil bitchiness
He would be ashamed and disgusted and would come up with a cool one liner.

WindDancer
He prolly say something like this "Nah, I don't want to talk to ya. I'd rather talk to Clinton. After all I cheated on my wife and slept with my slaves".

Echuu
Originally posted by WindDancer
He prolly say something like this "Nah, I don't want to talk to ya. I'd rather talk to Clinton. After all I cheated on my wife and slept with my slaves".

lol; then he finds him and they go to the nearest bar.

RedAlertv2
Originally posted by KidRock
If by destroying freedom you mean makeing us all a lot safer then I agree. I could careless about the patriot act. I'm not a criminal, the govt can bug my whole house if they want.

Do you have any proof that the Patriot Act is making us safer?

Echuu
Have we had any terrorist attacks within the US?

And have there been any cases with the rights of US citizens being messed with?

PVS
bush would find jefferson and the rest of our forefathers to be freedom hating anti-americans. and vice versa. only one would be correct.

Cipher
Its difficult (probably impossible) to guess what Jefferson would think about
anything because the world is so different now.

Two things: He didn't really fight anyone and the thing with the slave girl happened after his wife died.

Also, the Patriot Act is a travesty that could easily be misused against anyone.
Saying you've done nothing wrong is naive. Didn't people say we can't let
the terrorists change the way we live?

Haven't they actually done exactly that?

PVS
Originally posted by Cipher
Didn't people say we can't let
the terrorists change the way we live?

Haven't they actually done exactly that?

BINGO!!!!

FeceMan
I think that Jefferson would be more horrified at what our country has become rather than caring who the current president is.

And KidRock made a decent post. Huzzah.

alcoholicpoet
Dubya's done all but pissed on the declaration of independance, so I assume Jefferson would proceed to piss on the patriot act.

Imperial_Samura
I would love to see that on the front page. I am sure most of the nation would love to join him in doing so...

PVS
i'd be the first in line to bend a fresh biscuit on the patriot act big grin

Mr Parker
Do you have any proof that the Patriot Act is making us safer?

yeah I would like to see the proof of that myself especially since the government is not known for telling the truth about anything.

hawkwind
he would kick his ass

RedAlertv2
being a scholar, Jefferson would be surprised to see how stupid Bush is

FeceMan
being a scholar, Jefferson would be surprised to see how stupid Bush is
People seem to think that being inarticulate correlates with stupidity.

It seems to be a new trend.

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by FeceMan

Not really, Dubya's standardised testing correlates with stupidity smile

bardock
he would be more amazed by the horseless carriage

PVS
he would wonder why dubya has no slaves

KidRock
Originally posted by PVS

(A deano quote): We are all slaves...

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by PVS

Dubya still has slaves smile

hotsauce6548
Who the hell knows?

bilb
laughing laughing laughing --> to every post made on this thread today

Evil Dead
wow..........

am I the only person to notice that most of the people bashing Bush are from other countries? start clicking profiles...........you'll see London, Ireland, Brazil, etc.....

is the rest of the world that boring? so boring that all these countries' news stations do is broadcast news about America and it's president? the history of their own countries are so boring that they teach American History to teach their kids about the exciting times of Thomas Jefferson?

I can see Brazil and Ireland broadcasting news about America's involvement in Iraq, that's world news................but to go so far as to actually broadcast in depth stories about Bush and his political stances? The people of Brazil, Ireland, etc. really need to get a life when their media focuses on Bush's social security, education, taxation, etc. platforms...................you know, all those little things that presidents do.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Evil Dead
wow..........

am I the only person to notice that most of the people bashing Bush are from other countries? start clicking profiles...........you'll see London, Ireland, Brazil, etc.....

is the rest of the world that boring? so boring that all these countries' news stations do is broadcast news about America and it's president? the history of their own countries are so boring that they teach American History to teach their kids about the exciting times of Thomas Jefferson?

I can see Brazil and Ireland broadcasting news about America's involvement in Iraq, that's world news................but to go so far as to actually broadcast in depth stories about Bush and his political stances? The people of Brazil, Ireland, etc. really need to get a life when their media focuses on Bush's social security, education, taxation, etc. platforms...................you know, all those little things that presidents do.

Don't forget, TV is an American export.

RedAlertv2

Dont tell me you think Dubya is as intelligent or as learned as Jefferson. I wasnt reffering to Bush's speaking abilities at all. I really dont think a man who got a C average in school is as smart as Jefferson.

Evil Dead
Bush is much smarter..........

There's a difference between being intelligent and being smart. Bush undoubtedly is less intelligent than Jefferson was..........yet is the president of the largest super-power in the world............which is something Jefferson never was.

PVS
bush is a puppet.
anyone can be president when they have karl rove's hand up their ass.

RedAlertv2

There's a difference between being intelligent and being smart. Bush undoubtedly is less intelligent than Jefferson was..........yet is the president of the largest super-power in the world............which is something Jefferson never was.

How does that make Bush smarter?

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by PVS
bush is a puppet.
anyone can be president when they have karl rove's hand up their ass.

My thoughts exactly.

intoxicatedpoet

Thomas Jefferson contributed to overthrowing the largest super power in the world (Britian).

finti
no he just contributed to get independence from the Greatest superpower at that time, Great Britain continued to be a great super power long after the 1783

RedAlertv2
True. but Jefferson has still done more for this country than bush ever will

finti
probably

botankus
One knock on Jefferson: Dressing up in tights while prancing around and singing joyous, patriotic melodies...might not always be the best way to leave your mark on history.

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=1776+movie/v=2/SID=e/l=IVS/SIG=11u9c9sbk/EXP=1124900401/*-http%3A//www.povonline.com/images3/1776b.jpg

finti
well it seems that it was the best way for TJ anyway, and there were no cameras to record any blunders he might have made so...............

botankus
Sure there were....

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/coverv/73/194473.jpg

finti
so much for the red haired TJ

WindDancer
Originally posted by botankus
One knock on Jefferson: Dressing up in tights while prancing around and singing joyous, patriotic melodies...might not always be the best way to leave your mark on history.

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=1776+movie/v=2/SID=e/l=IVS/SIG=11u9c9sbk/EXP=1124900401/*-http%3A//www.povonline.com/images3/1776b.jpg

I think Jefferson used to dress up in the latest European fashion. Great American my *beep*

finti
yeah cause colonial fashion was such a force big grin wink

WindDancer
Speaking of colonial fashion...wasn't it dangerous for guys to be carrying gun powder and their muskets near such flammable clothes? Ever thought about that? I mean living in the wildernes they had to carry all that stuff with them.

finti
just the way it was then

WindDancer
And people say we're living in dangerous times. stick out tongue

finti
we do?

FeceMan
Dont tell me you think Dubya is as intelligent or as learned as Jefferson. I wasnt reffering to Bush's speaking abilities at all. I really dont think a man who got a C average in school is as smart as Jefferson.
I never said he was smarter than Jefferson. I said Bush is not stupid.

And, if we're going to start pinpointing grammar, I would be quick to point out that trying to read the original Constitution is...trying.

RedAlertv2
When did we start pinpointing grammar?

And anyways, you may be right that the original Constitution has some poor grammar, but I always assumed it was hard to read because of the outdated writing style, not because of poor grammar.

FeceMan
When did we start pinpointing grammar?

And anyways, you may be right that the original Constitution has some poor grammar, but I always assumed it was hard to read because of the outdated writing style, not because of poor grammar.
Oh, sorry, I misread the "wasnt reffering to Bush's speaking abilities at all".

finti
he has a certain way with words though, words no one ever heard off before.............no one, and it surpises the hell out of his advisors too

grey fox
he'd cut him in half with his axe .....(jefferson is the one who cut down the cherry tree right)

finti
nah that was George Washington ("I can not tell a lie Pa"wink

FeceMan
But that didn't actually happen.

manny321
No bush is very bad at speaking if it is not scripted.

The world is interested with Bush because they want to know how he was able to get re-elected. Thats what many Canadians ask. However atleast he is going downhill in the polls.

hotsauce6548
Originally posted by manny321

The world is interested with Bush because they want to know how he was able to get re-elected. Thats what many Canadians ask. However atleast he is going downhill in the polls.

For all the Canadians that were wondering, he was re-elected because the majority of American voters thought he was fit to be president for another term.

RedAlertv2
Oh, sorry, I misread the "wasnt reffering to Bush's speaking abilities at all".

I suppose youre right. Bush is truly genious, and Jefferson's intelligence is nothing compared to the amazing mind of george dubya. roll eyes (sarcastic)

ragesRemorse
like jefferson would really know what to do in this era.

manny321
"he was re-elected because the majority of American voters thought he was fit to be president for another term."

That is what makes me wonder.

ragesRemorse
"he was re-elected because the majority of American voters thought he was fit to be president for another term."

That is what makes me wonder.

Why is that?

xmarksthespot
And even at times when scripted.
He was, more accurately, re-elected because only half of eligible voters in the U.S. actually bothered to vote. For a nation with a leader that spurts the word "democracy" out of every orifice every time he has the chance, the U.S. has a very low voter turnout. (Very) slightly over half supported him or voted for him because they opposed John Kerry. He received a quarter of the votes of eligible voters. Hardly a mandate.

manny321
No i wonder how did the american people re-elect Bush.

xmarksthespot
No i wonder how did the american people re-elect Bush.
Apathy, in about half the eligible voters. Fear, in half of the remaining portion (i.e. a quarter) of eligible voters.

manny321
True i heard the so called group "safety mom's" got him elected. They care only about the safety of the family and i would agree and say Kerry was not president material. He was more of a politician. Need someone with class and charm.

xmarksthespot
Need someone with class and charm.
You must have strange definitions of these two words...

FeceMan
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Apathy, in about half the eligible voters. Fear, in half of the remaining portion (i.e. a quarter) of eligible voters.
Actually, I believe 'morality' would be a better term...

But this isn't the thread for that.

xmarksthespot
(False-sense of superior) morality contributed in some way to his vote. However he was the incumbent in a country that has ingrained in itself a permanent state of war. Wars favour the incumbent. Fear favours the incumbent. That was what largely won him the election despite shitty approval ratings.

manny321
Well atleast he is way down in the polls.

PVS
morallity??? laughing out loud

dellusion would be most accurate.
people were not exposed to the truth that there were no WMD's in iraq.
people were convinced of ties between iraq and 9-11 of which there were none, which the administration knew well, but said the words "saddam hussein" and "september 11" and "terrorism" more times than can be easily counted at the RNC.

they one through fear and lies. bush's approval rating as of late is proof of that. but dont listen to me. just sit back and watch his popularity hit rock bottom erm

FeceMan
Originally posted by PVS
morallity??? laughing out loud

dellusion would be most accurate.
people were not exposed to the truth that there were no WMD's in iraq.
people were convinced of ties between iraq and 9-11 of which there were none, which the administration knew well, but said the words "saddam hussein" and "september 11" and "terrorism" more times than can be easily counted at the RNC.

they one through fear and lies. bush's approval rating as of late is proof of that. but dont listen to me. just sit back and watch his popularity hit rock bottom erm
I voted not in light of current events, fear, and/or lies. Remember, I'm one of those crazy Religious Right-ers.

RedAlertv2
Well, theres nothing like using religion to bring in votes.

Capt_Fantastic

Oh, I like you.

xmarksthespot
It's hard to tell if you're being sincere or sarcastic with that expression on your avatar. laughing out loud
I think my appraisal was pretty accurate though.

tabby999
i think he'd think something along the lines of "wow, look, the white house has a petting zoo! come here little monkey. what. thats the president...thank christ i'm dead"

big gay kirk
A lampshade and matching shoes....

Capt_Fantastic
It's hard to tell if you're being sincere or sarcastic with that expression on your avatar. laughing out loud
I think my appraisal was pretty accurate though.

I was being serious.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.