The Smiths

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bardock42
I thought aboot opening a Thread aboot them earlier but I am not really that knowledgable in Music at all so i decided against it, but due to a very luck occurence aboot 4 min utes ago I decided that it is time to do it.
So first, I love the Smiths...they are my all time favorite Band....great Music, great Lyrics, great Guitar...great everything. Pretty much every song I heard of them I like.
Now the occurence, my father has a good friend of his and he visited him today....I mywself only have to Albums of them but for some reason he mentioned that love the Smiths....anyways this friend has a great collection of CDs and it turns out that he has almost every Album of the Smiths and is so nice to borrow them to me.....which is like Birthday and Christmas on teh same day for me.....you can't believe how thrilled I am.....

Ok well so do you know the Smiths, how do you like them....do you maybe prefer Morrissey's Solo stuff? What is your favorite Song?

Mine is Please, Please, Please but I like Bigmouth Strikes Again, Panic, Some Girls are Bigger than others, etc. almost the same. I didn't really get into Morrisseys Solo Stuff..its just not the same.

Imaginary
My favourite band Placebo did a cover of Bigmouth Strikes Again, and the lyrics are great yes

Df02
sweetness, sweetness i was only joking when i said i'd like to smash every tooth in your head.

yea i love the smiths, very good band

Still Ill my favourite song tho

Red Superfly
I like the Smiths, but despite my efforts, How Soon Is Now is still my favourite song they ever did. Sure, it's their most popular song next to maybe Panic, but damn, I love that song.

Bardock42
It's a very good song...i like it very much...not my favorite but well its good enought o be covered twice at least.....

Frankly Mr. Shankly is a great song too...just thought I add that....

Oh by teh way my favorite Album would probably be " Louder Than Bombs" It's jsut really really great.....

Red Superfly
I saw Morrisey last year at Leeds Festival. He coverred so many songs of The Smiths, including the best ones like Ill, Mr Shankly, How Soon Is Now, Panic etc. The crowd went mental when he did.

Bardock42
I now have 4 Albums of him, maybe I will find something that I like aboot him that reminds me of the smiths......but I heard that he covered tehm.....how did he do it...was it comparable?

I was very suprised when I saw this 2 Second Zapping of Morrissey singing "Panic" in "Shaun of the Dead" and none of my friends could understand what I was even talking aboot...he and the Smiths are not really that known here in germany....

Red Superfly
His covers were spot on. It sounded like The Smiths as much as they ever did.

How Soon Is Now was played with some awesome lighting effects in synch with the music, almost strobe like. Very surreal and very, very cool.

Bardock42
Has anyone listened to the Tribute Album "The Smiths is Dead"? If so is it any good?

Do you know which songs he covered except for the ones you mentioned...and what did he play of his own songs? The ones on teh New Album or older ones too?

Df02
How Soon Is Now? is good, but i always thought it should've gone somewhere... sounds like it has no direction sometimes

Bardock42
Hmm yes I guess you can see it that way.....I like the Part "There'S a Club if you'd like to go" thats really great...and I find the lyrics funny at that point...

Wolf Dog
everyone hear should download Death Cab for Cuties cover of "This Charming Man". Sooooo goood.

Bardock42
Hmm I will....as good as the Original?

Reckoning
The Smiths is undoubtedly one of the most influential bands ever to grace this world. Naturally I am a die-hard fan. Morrisey rocks everything.

You did name Bigmouth Strikes Again but there is also Girlfriend In A Coma, Well I Wonder, I Know It's Over, What Difference Does It Make?, Miserable Lie, Meat Is Murder, Rush and a Push and the Land Is Our's, Frankly Mr Shankly, Last Night I Dreamt that Somebody Loved Me; I could go on and on.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Reckoning
The Smiths is undoubtedly one of the most influential bands ever to grace this world. Naturally I am a die-hard fan. Morrisey rocks everything.

You did name Bigmouth Strikes Again but there is also Girlfriend In A Coma, Well I Wonder, I Know It's Over, What Difference Does It Make?, Miserable Lie, Meat Is Murder, Rush and a Push and the Land Is Our's, Frankly Mr Shankly, Last Night I Dreamt that Somebody Loved Me; I could go on and on.

I know they are all so good...A Rush and a Push and the Land is Ours is especially great....

Louder Than Bombs has 24 Tracks on it and all of them are great, I will jsut name the best:
Is it Really so Strange
Shoplifters of the World Unite
Sweet and Tender Hooligan
Half a Person
Panic
Girl Afraid
William it was really nothing
You just havent earned it yet baby
Heaven knows I'm miserable now
Ask
These Things Take Time
Hand in Glove
Please, Please, Please Let me get what I want
This night has opened my Eyes
Asleep

Its such a good Album.....

Although of the ones you named I think I haven't heard Miserable Lie....

peejay88
Originally posted by Red Superfly
I saw Morrisey last year at Leeds Festival. He coverred so many songs of The Smiths, including the best ones like Ill, Mr Shankly, How Soon Is Now, Panic etc. The crowd went mental when he did.

Last year i got dragged along to the Birmingham NIA to see Morrissey (for my Brothers B'Day, he's a huge, huge fan of Smiths/Morrissey). At the time i had only seen him at Glastonbury (on TV) and thought, 'Who's this fat old tosser?'. At the concert however, he opened with 'How soon is now', the song weas extremely impressive and as close as you're gunna get to The Smiths or the album version. I still can't say i was converted though although i do like 'Jack the ripper' and 'Munich air disaster' (yes, i'm a red devil). I think after seeing Bruce Springsteen no concert will ever be sufficient! The Guys awesome, 50+ and still rocking harder than anyone, and not making a fool of himself doing so.

Bardock42
Yes Bruce Springsteen is great.......

And I love Jack the Ripper too.....its probably just as good as any Smiths song.....I hope I get a chance to see Morrissey sometime.....

mechmoggy
The Smiths are quality, a bit old school now, but still cool.

Bardock42
So i looked up on the Smiths Albums and Stuff...and by accident I found at least 6 Tribute Albums on Amazon alone.....does anyone know if they are any good.

Furthermore I have two questions: What is this Troy Tate Session...has it different songs or was it juist a different Recording of "The Smiths" ?

Second where do you think could I get some of the Singles (problem I live in germany)?

Victor Von Doom
Excellent band.

Favourite track is The Boy with the Thorn in his Side.

Was covered by Jeff Buckley- pretty cool but a bit ropey.

Alpha Centauri
Favourite track for me is There is a Light That Never Goes Out.

-AC

Bardock42
I just recently discovered my particular love for Strangeways here we come...damn that is a great Album. Tracks like "A Rush And A Push And the Land Is Ours", "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me" and "Paint A Vulgar Picture" might actually put in in pole position for me...at the moment.

Very lovable Album...but so are most of their Studio ones....

Bardock42
Yeah well....can never talk enough about The Smiths...so....favourite track at the moment is "Cemetry Gates"...good stuff.

Actually The Queen is Dead got a lot of my attention lately....also listened a lot to "Suffer Little Children"...good song.

Eis
The Smiths are a great band, I don't really know much by them but definitely a band I'd like to get more into.

As for my favorite track... I don't know it seems like I just can't get enough of 'Asleep' but not sure if it's my favorite.

Imaginary
I bought The Very Best Of The Smiths... really good. I love all the songs on it, especially Bigmouth Strikes Again, Panic, Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others and How Soon Is Now?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Imaginary
I bought The Very Best Of The Smiths... really good. I love all the songs on it, especially Bigmouth Strikes Again, Panic, Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others and How Soon Is Now?

Yeah, those are good songs. Besides Panic they were the first song a friend of mine introduced me too. Also my favourites at some point. There is still a lot to discover though....

Bardock42
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Was covered by Jeff Buckley- pretty cool but a bit ropey.

See what you did...you made me steal from Jeff Buckley.....you are evil....

I kind of like the cover though....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.