Pop punk!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

xxxpoppunker182
so i love poppunk music (hence my name) and my favorite band is/was Blink 182.

so for everyone who likes to listen to ubeat happy snappy non-scary music. please talk about any band you like and well everyone that trashs poppunk well they can but what they say isnt fact atherwise they wouldn't be signed or makeing records videos posters and merch.

so ya who's your guys's favorite bands?

SlipknoT
Wow...You really are a pathetic person....

nicole131991
my favourite band's good charlotte but i'm not into the other pop punk stuff. maybe a littel bit of simple plan, not much though.

ElectricBugaloo
Originally posted by SlipknoT
Wow...You really are a pathetic person....
irony is awesome

Bardock42
I don't even know what PopPu k is...though...hmm I gu3ess not....

Korri
Originally posted by xxxpoppunker182
and well everyone that trashs poppunk well they can but what they say isnt fact atherwise they wouldn't be signed or makeing records videos posters and merch.

Actually yes they would, nowadays anyway.

It doesnt matter if its good or not anymore, if its going to sell then of course they are going to get signed but not because of their talent, only because stupid, naive little teenie boppers will buy it because they think the lead singer is "H.o.t.t" or because "oh, all my friends like them so i like them"

Clearly you are one of these naive people who has been brainwashed, because basically, thats what popular music is, a way to make lots of money by hyping stuff up and making no-brainer, talentless prats into big stars, and popular with millions of hormonal teenage girls, hence the title "popular music" or in this case "pop punk"

MildPossession
'Pop' Punk?

Red Superfly
ie Teeny Bopper Punk.

Ew.

xxxpoppunker182
Originally posted by Korri

It doesnt matter if its good or not anymore, if its going to sell then of course they are going to get signed but not because of their talent, only because stupid, naive little teenie boppers will buy it because they think the lead singer is "H.o.t.t" or because "oh, all my friends like them so i like them"

Clearly you are one of these naive people who has been brainwashed, because basically, thats what popular music is, a way to make lots of money by hyping stuff up and making no-brainer, talentless prats into big stars, and popular with millions of hormonal teenage girls, hence the title "popular music" or in this case "pop punk"

you do realize the poppunk fad died like a year ago now days everyones into *** ass trend bands like atreyu avenged 7 fold and hardcore screeming stuff. i don't like that i listen to happy ubeat music about gettin girls back and how highschool sux instead of bands that scream i wanna slit my wrists cause she left me.

i've been listening to punk/poppunk since i can remember even the older street punk stuff(even though i'm not really into all of that anymore)

Tptmanno1
Originally posted by Korri

*applause*
I give people 6 months on Poppy shit until they can move on. You gotta start somewhere...
Then their losers...

SlipknoT
you do realize the poppunk fad died like a year ago now days everyones into *** ass trend bands like atreyu avenged 7 fold and hardcore screeming stuff. i don't like that i listen to happy ubeat music about gettin girls back and how highschool sux instead of bands that scream i wanna slit my wrists cause she left me.

i've been listening to punk/poppunk since i can remember even the older street punk stuff(even though i'm not really into all of that anymore) Atreyu and Avenged 7 Fold do both suck but I would pick them anyday over Simple Plan and Good Charlotte.

DemonSpirit
*looks up and reads SlipKnot's post I agree totally....*starts clapping* someone who speaks the truth! *collapses in a pile of empty bottles*

xxxpoppunker182
see i would just rather listen to their music its about everything i like how highschool sux authority blows skating and girls.

Red Superfly
Authority doesn't blow.

Tptmanno1
see i would just rather listen to their music its about everything i like how highschool sux authority blows skating and girls.
Check out Rage Against the Machine,
If your serious about your whole "athority sucks" thing...
But if you gonna be just a
"Coffeshop revolutionary Son of a *****" (Man I love that IT lyric, not to be offensive to you, I just love it.)
You might find the message too radical...

Bad Boy
I like Blink 182 and Sum 41. But obviously because I like some 'corporate/mainstream pop punk bands' I can't be punk/hardcore/metal or whatever depsite also liking Burning Skies, Hondo Maclean, As I Lay Dying, Heaven Shall Burn, Killswitch... and also being in a hardcore band.

STOP TAKING IT TOO SERIOUSLY!!!

ElectricBugaloo
lol @ hardcore bands. don't they know that that genre was played out by the mid 80s?

MildPossession
Yeah I know what pop punk is Red, it's just kind of an oxymoron to me.

sk8stuff09
alot of music is same sound from years ago, the music genres recycle from whats popular and not

Bardock42
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Authority doesn't blow.

It does.....when Cartman has it......

As for those Bands you mentioned I don't think I will miss much if I don't listen to them.....well except for RATM......but that's different...

mr.smiley
I like Blink 182 and some of those pop punk bands.I think it's funny how people are against this new punk music saying how it's not rebelious enough or that it's too corporate.I think it's exactly what punk needed.Being the ultimate rebel music it was only a matter of time before it turned on itself.Punk music has no rules.So if it goes pop that's fair and sense it's turning against itself it's the ultimate form of flattery to itself.

Dr. Diamond
the only good band is crass

knight
Originally posted by mr.smiley
I like Blink 182 and some of those pop punk bands.I think it's funny how people are against this new punk music saying how it's not rebelious enough or that it's too corporate.I think it's exactly what punk needed.Being the ultimate rebel music it was only a matter of time before it turned on itself.Punk music has no rules.So if it goes pop that's fair and sense it's turning against itself it's the ultimate form of flattery to itself.

It's not even Punk, it's Glamour Pop with a really thin facade of pretence.

xxxpoppunker182
see it is punk it just has different distortions and a less grundge tone.

el_barto
How dare you people say the Blink 182, Simple Plan, and Good Charlotte are PUNK bands. Their pop to the core. They dont care about you, or your teeny bopper friends, they just sell you what is populer so they can make a profit. If you want real punk listen to The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, The Clash, etc etc. New pop punk bands arent the new punk, they are KILLING punk.

xxxpoppunker182
talkin about pop the ramones themselvs are PUNKS but their music is just as poppy as Blink. i mean social distortion dropkick murphy's NOFX floggin molly rancid those are punk bands along with sex pistols.

aside from the minor punk bands out there poppunkis helping it out. some of the mosyt harcore punks like lars fredrickson and tim armstrong approve of and say that bands like simple plan blink all of them are awsome guys and put out good music.

now as for killing punk thats hardcore and screamo bands. which IMO are either "punk" kids that play metal music and don't wanna admit that they are or they ***** about every little and thinm its cool to killyourself or undergo physical pain cause a girl broke up with them.

do you even know what punk is? its the rebel and if you think poppunk is the norm or whats popular you're wrong it isn't anymore it was a year or 2 ago but not now aside from a few mainstream bands its all hardcore/screamo.

when it comes down to it tons o fpeople will hate it just because its poppunk and for no other reason. so theres no point in debating it anylonger cause everyone has their own taste in music and bash other people for likeing something that they don't.

el_barto
Wait, you're telling me that The Ramones are pop? It wasnt untill almost all of them where dead that they became popular. They are one of the greatest punk bands ever how dare you compare them to Blink 182.

It's not helping out, they're killing music. This stuff isnt punk, and yet every one listens to it. All these little teeny boppers are gonna hear this crap and then go out and make their own crappy pop-punk tribute band and eventually if they have enough image they will get popular, this is killing music not helping it.

And I never said that the screamo's where helping music.

If you think that this crap is rebelious you are very naive my friend.

I hate this music because it SUCKS, not because its pop-punk. Hell I love Green Day the people that helped start pop-punk. Dont think just because something has a label I'll condemn it immedietly.

Bad Boy
This argument will never end, and to be honest, it is the biggest thing that pisses me off in music. As far as I'm concerned if it's a punky riff, drumbeat etc, then it's punk to me! I don't care who is playing it or what... but that's just me.

One thing that does baffle me though is this... Punk is supposed to be a genre of no rules.... NO RULES!!!

There sure are rules to be 'punk', your not allowed to listen to certain bands, must dress a certain way, (must wear converse, oh no now all the emo kids are doing it, lets do something else).

WHO CARES???

xxxpoppunker182
ya lots of people don't realize that being punk is doin what you want to do. skin head rob you know he' si n the transplants he's a huge wigger but i got to say he's the biggest punk i've ever met. why because he does what he wants to do and soent give a damn.

bad boy the scene that you described is awsome with the converse shoes and all. thats what i'm into. and you're right this debate goes on on cause some people get ignorant.

el barto just because the ramones didn't get popular til they were dead doesnt change the kind of music they played.i started this thread so i can talk about bands that i love and are poppunk and punk alike not argue about whats punk and what isn't. so how about instead of arguin we talk about somethin else. like what bands are you into?

mr.smiley
Originally posted by el_barto
How dare you people say the Blink 182, Simple Plan, and Good Charlotte are PUNK bands. Their pop to the core. They dont care about you, or your teeny bopper friends, they just sell you what is populer so they can make a profit. If you want real punk listen to The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, The Clash, etc etc. New pop punk bands arent the new punk, they are KILLING punk.

If I recall right,the Sex Pistols didn't like their fans too much either.The opion that these bands don't care about their fans is merely opion.Now if they came out and said we hate our fans,then I would belive it.

Punk has totaly went against itself and I must applause it for that.It's anarchy and rebellion and now it's applying it's own rules (or lack of) to itself.That's brilliant.

Ronny

so for everyone who likes to listen to ubeat happy snappy non-scary music. please talk about any band you like and well everyone that trashs poppunk well they can but what they say isnt fact atherwise they wouldn't be signed or makeing records videos posters and merch.

so ya who's your guys's favorite bands? Poppunk = oximoron.

and um.. yes they would, and they do. two words.. William Hung. Anyways, you dont have to famous to be signed onto a trash record label. erm I dont feel the need to repeat myself

and my favorite band is Tool. but of course you wouldn't know who they are would you.. no

Tptmanno1
Yay Tool!

Afro Cheese
Punk has totaly went against itself and I must applause it for that.It's anarchy and rebellion and now it's applying it's own rules (or lack of) to itself.That's brilliant. Hmm.. that almost makes sense except pop-punk bands never say "f*ck the sex pistols!" they say "f*ck britney spears and preps and pop music!" So they're still rebelling against the same old shit, just to a lesser degree. It's pretty much just punk-lite.

xxxpoppunker182
bump.....well i have herd like 2 tool songs and no i wasn't into them.

but anyway what bands are you guys/girls interested in? name more than just one if you want

RagnaViper
The usual. And the unusual.

alcoholicpoet
I have a rather "hippy" taste in music, The Who, The Doors, Pink Floyd, Jeffersone Airplane, and other phsycadelic, or "acid" rock groups. The only mod groups I like are the grunge bands of the early 90s, and Phish.

IMO, Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, and Blink 182, suck ass through a straw, but if that floats your boat I'm not going to stop you.

el_barto
The Who, Green Day, The Clash, The Ramones, Jawbreaker, Jets to Brazil, Primus, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Les Zeppelen, etc etc

xxxpoppunker182
alcoholicpoet have you ever seen lazorfloyd? i went to one in seattle and it was awsome. very cool.

I'm not that much into anything that sounds scary. but if it's happy and upbeat i like it like Knockout, BLINK-182(, The Movielife, Social Distortion, Mest, Billy Talent, Allister, Autopilot Off, Senses Fail, Thrice, Brand New, Box Car Racer, Fenix TX, Finch(first cd),Good Charlotte, Green Day, Justin sane,SR-71,Home Grown,less than Jake, Matchbook Romance(stories and alibis), Motion City Soundtrack, Much the Same, Fall Out Boy, MXPX, New Found Glory, Propaghandi,NOFX, mighty mighty boss tones, Rancid,real big fish, Offspring, Pennywise, Simple Plan, Relient K, Sum 41, Sugarcult, Saves the day,The Transplants, The unseen, The ramones, The Starting Line,The Used, Yellowcard,The f'ups , Mellincoln, Dropkick murphy's,Midtown, Plain WHite T's, Rufio,Slick Shoes,Dashboard Confessional, Goldfinger, Spitalfield, Something Corperate,HelloGoodbye,Fake id, noise ratchet, keepsake,Hallifax, Death cab for cutie, day at the fair, the fully down,the beach boys, the wonders, the beattles,and Amber Pacific

i just copied and pasted that from my Myspace page no way in hell i'm typin those bands over and over. but thats what i listen to.

SlipknoT
Slayer, Slipknot, Shadows Fall, Iron Maiden, Cannibal Corpse, Black Sabbath, Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, GOrgoroth...

mr.smiley
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
Hmm.. that almost makes sense except pop-punk bands never say "f*ck the sex pistols!" they say "f*ck britney spears and preps and pop music!" So they're still rebelling against the same old shit, just to a lesser degree. It's pretty much just punk-lite.

I don't know.I think Emo music is more like punk-lite.A lot of these newer bands are just pop punk imo

alcoholicpoet
alcoholicpoet have you ever seen lazorfloyd? i went to one in seattle and it was awsome. very cool.

I saw them in Chicago last summer, very cool indeed.

Korri
bump.....well i have herd like 2 tool songs and no i wasn't into them.

Do you suffer from severe hearing difficulties?

LiveAndLetDie
I listen to Guns N' Roses (obviously), Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, The Clash, The Romones, The Sex Pistols, Metallica, Lynard Skynard..etc.

I don`t like Pop-punk. I use to like it, but I was 12 and stupid. If you want to listen to it, I`m not stopping you, but I hate it.

Korri
I love you droolio

LiveAndLetDie
I feel loved ^_^

xxxpoppunker182
ya most people these days do hate it. but at least you guys arent like **** you for your music preference. i think its stupid people don't like someone just because they don't listen to the same thing as them.

knight

I second, or is it third by now. Just what I was thinking but very accurate and to the point. I would have gone there but I couldn't be assed.

"Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The KinKs, The Vapours ect, ect"...

bandbandbandband

el_barto
If I recall right,the Sex Pistols didn't like their fans too much either.The opion that these bands don't care about their fans is merely opion.Now if they came out and said we hate our fans,then I would belive it.

I never said that pop-punk bands hated their fans, all I said was they didnt care about them.

And If I remember correctly what POP MEANS is popular music. And they still arent popular. Nobody that I know of knows who the ramones are. They dont even know their songs. Pop means popular, end of story.

Kumar
I agree with most of you, Pop music does suck and they really don't care about their fans and that is despicable. but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I, myself, like some pop-punk but i don't consider myself a "teenie bopper" (which i hate with a fiery passion) because i listen to a whole range of stuff.

plus, Blink 182 hasn't been popular for like, 4 years. sure they still have fans but they are only the true fans that liked them from the beginning. most people can't handle them because they are too obnoxious. only people with that kind of sense of humor like them.

xxxpoppunker182
ya i like blink they're my favorite band they broke up but oh well atleast they arent gonna be 50 singin about highschool. that would be gay.

as for the not carin about their fans i have to disagree now the people that use to be fans but because they got mainstream ay that they hate them and have always i bet they hate them.IMO

and i'm no teenie bopper i'm actually hated or disliked because i'm the only kid who likes poppunk and even punk where i live everyone else is into hardcore/screemo stuff.

Kumar
well, it seems that we can agree on some things. and those people that you are "hated or disliked" by probably do call you a teenie bopper because you like "pop"-punk. as stupid as it is, its the truth. people hear the word "Pop" and immediatly assume "retarted, talentless, big record label, clone band" and they reject it right there and never listen to any of it. of course this only applies to pop-punk. regular mainstream pop music is the bain of my existense and is a plauge upon this earth.

mr.smiley
I never said that pop-punk bands hated their fans, all I said was they didnt care about them.

And If I remember correctly what POP MEANS is popular music. And they still arent popular. Nobody that I know of knows who the ramones are. They dont even know their songs. Pop means popular, end of story.

I never said they hated them.And I think nobody knowing who the Ramones are is just ridiculous.They have Bleitz Krieg in about five commercials now.In the 70's they where obscure,but they are very well known now.

alcoholicpoet
If we're listing all our favorite bands then: Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Iron Butterfly, The Doors, Nirvana, Guns N' Roses, Phish, Jimi Hendrix, Pearl Jam, The Beatles, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, Bob Dylan, Sex Pistols, and The Byrds.

Bardock42
Originally posted by alcoholicpoet
If we're listing all our favorite bands then: Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Iron Butterfly, The Doors, Nirvana, Guns N' Roses, Phish, Jimi Hendrix, Pearl Jam, The Beatles, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, Bob Dylan, Sex Pistols, and The Byrds.

You're da Man......

ElectricBugaloo
The Thermals are good times. One of my favorite punk bands, even if they have a slight 'pop' edge to them. Then again, the Ramones are considered by some to be the ultimate punk band and they emulated the Bay City Rollers - a pop act. You can also hear lots of Beach Boys in the Ramones. The Sex Pistols were more or less formed by Malcom McLaren to sell clothes. The Clash are one of the ultimate punk acts, yet they didn't have the stereotypical punk sound, and even cracked the top 20 with some of their songs.

In the New York scene in the mid-70s, punk wasn't pigeonholed to a specific sound, but any band from the scene were punk; Blondie were punk, Talking Heads were punk, hell, Brian Eno was punk.

mr.smiley
It's funny how Misfits didn't even get any recognition unitl like twenty years after their run.But out of punk they're my favirote.

Darth Revan
do you even know what punk is? its the rebel and if you think poppunk is the norm or whats popular you're wrong it isn't anymore it was a year or 2 ago but not now aside from a few mainstream bands its all hardcore/screamo.

I've heard a lot of people bashing Britney Spears. Does that make her a "rebel," too? Because people hate her and she's not as popular as she was a few years ago?

alcoholicpoet
Originally posted by Bardock42
You're da Man......

Indeed, looking back at that post I find it odd that I listed the Pistols and Dylan back to back.

Imaginary

so ya who's your guys's favorite bands?

Look on the bright side, folks. At least she doesn't say they're all punk.

Darthburgerking
Pop/punk is not punk, I mean how are they even punk the lyrics are just stupid, a real punk band famous or not would actually be a "punk" and have rebellious lyrics are lyrics that go against the mainstream of thinking i.e. Bad Religion, Anti-Flag. Black Flag, Choking Victim, Leftover Crack, Misfits, InDK, Germ or is it germs oh well, Operatioin Ivy and their Ska there not even punk and they have more punkier lyrics than shit like Good Charlotte, and another thing the group isn't "Punk" if there not famous, it happens to be Green Day is a very punk band, THEY EVEN PLAYED AT GILLMAN'S IT DOESN'T GET MUCH PUNKIER THANT THAT AAHHHHHHHHHH HOW CAN PEOPLE LIKE POP/PUNK I MEAN THAT'S AS BAD AS CHEMICAL ROMANCE, but I will not say I hate people for liking this music I will just break all their crappy cds.

ElectricBugaloo
i really hate the maximumrockandroll mentality to punk music

el_barto
I never said they hated them.And I think nobody knowing who the Ramones are is just ridiculous.They have Bleitz Krieg in about five commercials now.In the 70's they where obscure,but they are very well known now.

Nobody that I know knows who they are. Yeah they know the song but they dont know who wrote it. They are all ****ing idiots. If I asked my entire class who wrote We Will Rock You 95% of them would go completely blank. I live in hell.....

RedAlertv2
I think the term pop-punk is misleading, because it makes people think that pop-punk bands are actually trying to be punk, which they are not. There's nothing wrong with pop-punk, except that most poppunk bands suck (GC, Simple Plan, etc). But I like some pop-punk bands.

I guess in order to like pop-punk you have to realize it really has very little in common with real punk.

xxxpoppunker182
pretty much

Bardock42
Nobody that I know knows who they are. Yeah they know the song but they dont know who wrote it. They are all ****ing idiots. If I asked my entire class who wrote We Will Rock You 95% of them would go completely blank. I live in hell.....

I know it.....that were The Beatles

mr.smiley
Originally posted by Darthburgerking
Pop/punk is not punk, I mean how are they even punk the lyrics are just stupid, a real punk band famous or not would actually be a "punk" and have rebellious lyrics are lyrics that go against the mainstream of thinking i.e. Bad Religion, Anti-Flag. Black Flag, Choking Victim, Leftover Crack, Misfits, InDK, Germ or is it germs oh well, Operatioin Ivy and their Ska there not even punk and they have more punkier lyrics than shit like Good Charlotte, and another thing the group isn't "Punk" if there not famous, it happens to be Green Day is a very punk band, THEY EVEN PLAYED AT GILLMAN'S IT DOESN'T GET MUCH PUNKIER THANT THAT AAHHHHHHHHHH HOW CAN PEOPLE LIKE POP/PUNK I MEAN THAT'S AS BAD AS CHEMICAL ROMANCE, but I will not say I hate people for liking this music I will just break all their crappy cds.

At the same time though when the Misfits came out most punk rock fans hated them.Punk rock at the time had more of a politcal tone and they come out talking about horror movies.I don't think the content they sing about matters much.It's the music style.

Darthburgerking
Misfits wasn't that great of an example, I just don't think pop/punk sounds punk at all, but in websters it even says punk is someone who is part of a rebellious counterculture, Good Charlotte for example isn't rebelious, not counterculture. But I see what you mean Mr. Smiley

and in that case it shouldn't have the word "punk" in it's name, It's not punk-rock to buy skirts with pre-inserted saftey pins that you can't even open, they should just call it pop.

RedAlertv2
I guess they call it punk because it has rock influences.

Darth Jello
If you want to listen to "real" pop punk and not corporate teeny bopper shit, why not go out and buy some cds/LPs by The Adolescents, TSOL, DI, The Joykiller, the ADZ, Manic Hispanic, Rikk Agnew, The Flower Leppards, Joyride, Agent Orange, The Detours, or Social Distortion?

xxxpoppunker182
the reason poppunk has the word punk in it is so it will sell and because they have one "punk" influencial thing goin for them. they just dont care and wanna have fun.

darth jello your right i do like mainstream pop punk but i do like alot of stuff people hardly hear about like the movie life knockout noise ratchet keepsake the track record day at the fair.

SPADE
WAZ UP YALL IM SPADE I LOVE LINKINPARK 2 ME THAY R THA MASTERZ OF ENY TYPE OF MUZIC EVRY TIME I HEAR 1-STP-CLOSR I HAVE A FRIGGIN OUTER-BOTTY XPERIENCE 4-REAL I JUMP AROUND SO MUTCH I COULD MAKE CHCOLATE MILK IF U SET IT N MI ROOM.

Sadako of Girth
The Stranglers and so many other bands were punk... and did they need to conform to the same bland chord progressions, spirit sappingly predictable vocal lines and harmonies... The same "I want to appear moody and threatening so I'll mug off to the camera in a second-rate Johnny Rotten kind of way"...? McFly and Busted are typical of this and exist firmly in the pop-punk bracket...

No..

It truly makes me laugh/weep to see that what passes under the completely self-contradictory handle of "Pop-Punk"..
These idiots are totally industry tools who HAVE to look a certain way, sound a certain way and act a certain way or they get a ticking off from thier managers at the label they are on... IE They are conformists not rebels in the slightest...
And when they DO try to appear to 'rebel', what are they rebelling about...? Their mommy wouldn't let them have that new i-pod or wouldn't let them stay out late enough or that girl in class excercises her god-given right not to want to lay them....? The punk stuff was about
external issues and was anti-establishment whereas this whiny predictable "Oooooh gotta get the same monotonous-yet-industry-friendly-harmonies-that-the-Jones'-next-door-have" shit concentrates only on their own privilaged spoilt brat issues and are so common place and cloned that they ARE the establishment....

Bereft of originality, bereft of relevance to anyone out side the classroom (Which in itself is no crime, just not my bag) bereft of integrity, bereft of any real social agenda or aim....

Bad Boy
Personally I ain't got time for deciding what's punk or not! This is not stuff to be taken seriously.... IT'S JUST MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!

RedAlertv2
If you havent got time for it, why are did you post here?

Kumar
Originally posted by SPADE
WAZ UP YALL IM SPADE I LOVE LINKINPARK 2 ME THAY R THA MASTERZ OF ENY TYPE OF MUZIC EVRY TIME I HEAR 1-STP-CLOSR I HAVE A FRIGGIN OUTER-BOTTY XPERIENCE 4-REAL I JUMP AROUND SO MUTCH I COULD MAKE CHCOLATE MILK IF U SET IT N MI ROOM.

uh, i'm sorry..... um, i don't...... uh, WHAT!?!?
i think you should not speak like a retard. oh, and you can turn off caps lock, incase you didn't know that. oh, and stop acting like a noob!!

Red Superfly
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
The Stranglers and so many other bands were punk... and did they need to conform to the same bland chord progressions, spirit sappingly predictable vocal lines and harmonies... The same "I want to appear moody and threatening so I'll mug off to the camera in a second-rate Johnny Rotten kind of way"...? McFly and Busted are typical of this and exist firmly in the pop-punk bracket...

No..

It truly makes me laugh/weep to see that what passes under the completely self-contradictory handle of "Pop-Punk"..
These idiots are totally industry tools who HAVE to look a certain way, sound a certain way and act a certain way or they get a ticking off from thier managers at the label they are on... IE They are conformists not rebels in the slightest...
And when they DO try to appear to 'rebel', what are they rebelling about...? Their mommy wouldn't let them have that new i-pod or wouldn't let them stay out late enough or that girl in class excercises her god-given right not to want to lay them....? The punk stuff was about
external issues and was anti-establishment whereas this whiny predictable "Oooooh gotta get the same monotonous-yet-industry-friendly-harmonies-that-the-Jones'-next-door-have" shit concentrates only on their own privilaged spoilt brat issues and are so common place and cloned that they ARE the establishment....

Bereft of originality, bereft of relevance to anyone out side the classroom (Which in itself is no crime, just not my bag) bereft of integrity, bereft of any real social agenda or aim....

Damn. Well said.

This is pretty much EXACTLY what I have been saying to everyone that mentions pop music. Boy bands didn't die. They simply picked up guitars and started moaning.

mr.smiley
Originally posted by Darthburgerking
Misfits wasn't that great of an example, I just don't think pop/punk sounds punk at all, but in websters it even says punk is someone who is part of a rebellious counterculture, Good Charlotte for example isn't rebelious, not counterculture. But I see what you mean Mr. Smiley

and in that case it shouldn't have the word "punk" in it's name, It's not punk-rock to buy skirts with pre-inserted saftey pins that you can't even open, they should just call it pop.

How aren't they the perfect example?

New punk equals girls and school
Old punk equals politics
Misfits equal horror movies.

They both where going against the grain of what punk was becoming about

Most bands that are considered punk today don't have that much to rebel about.The majority of young adults today don't care about shocking politics,so it doesn't appeal.The biggest political band we've hand in the past 15 years (imo) is RATM.And they where more Rap/Rock.

Red Superfly

New punk equals girls and school
Old punk equals politics
Misfits equal horror movies.

laughing

Bad Boy
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
If you havent got time for it, why are did you post here?

I think it's hilarious how people take something to petty seriously!

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Damn. Well said.

This is pretty much EXACTLY what I have been saying to everyone that mentions pop music. Boy bands didn't die. They simply picked up guitars and started moaning.

Spot on..! Jesus, if "Westlife" picked up axes and went for it, singing about 'that girl in class' some people still would think them as valid punks... sad

(As long as they remembered to mug in a "Wannabe scary-wide eyed" way to an elevated camera above and in front of them in their videos)
laughing

Darthburgerking
hmm new punk equals girls and school, yeah pretty much, personally I don't think the Misfit's are really that punk at all. I mean like I said Punk means counter-culture and that other stuff I wrote that I forgot already, but the point is
Bad Religion is punk yet the have a lot more of a classic rock sound, but are very rebellious and there counter culture to religion.
The Misfits is not punk, they sing about freaking horror movies, cool but if anything it's just gothy rock singing about horror movies is also not rebellious are counterculture I mean sure they play their instruments like most punk artist do, but that's not hard to do that doesn't make you punk, most people would say that the misfits are punk but not me and if there not, punk pop/punk bands definetly should have the word punk in there genre name, but sadako of girth put it very well they are manufactured bands their image and personna are all genrically created.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.