I need more bands to get into.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tptmanno1
I've been asking AC for stuff I should get into, but I would like some other opinions, maybe bring up some stuff I haven't heard of...

This is what I have before, and yes I know, its quite pathetic...

http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=tptmanno1&PHPSESSID=6ef4a7f00910a8444304c41ba20aa4f9
I have SOME more, that I couldn't find there, But still...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

(I know the link doesn't work all of the time, the server gets overloaded or something...)

ElectricBugaloo
Sufjan Stevens. "Come On Feel The Illinoise!" is the 2nd album in his attempt to make an album about each of the 50 states, and if they get any better we'll be hailing him as the next dylan soon. Then again people hailed Conor Oberst and Fischerspooner as the "Next Dylan" also.

People alwyas forget about Curtis Mayfield (besides Superfly). Pick up some of his stuff, and his work with The Impressions is, well, impressive. Much of their stuff is politically charged, but that doesn't take away from his great voice. I'd say that "People Get Ready" is a good album to start with.

Iron & Wine is great, Sam Beam has a sweet voice for lack of a better adjective (and not sweet as in "Dude Where's My Car?" sweet, but sweet like honey). For me, "The Creek Drank The Cradle" is his best work, but you really can't go wrong with any of his LPs or EPs.

M Ward is a great indie musician in the vein of Iron & Wine and Sufjan Stevens. I only have one of his albums, but "Transistor Radio" is very good, I especially like the song "Hi-Fi".

And if you haven't listened to Tom Waits, shame on you. Do so now. My favorite song is "Way Down In The Hole" (also known as the theme to the best drama on TV, HBO's "The Wire"wink

EDIT: The link wasn't working, so if I already suggested anything you already have, you have my permission to beat me with a stick.

Bardock42
Well....The Smiths of course......best to buy everys album they have yes

Korri
I always make people listen to Rainbow.

So listen to Rainbow zorro

Dr. Strangelove
Will Haven, Boy Sets Fire, Mastodon, Dillinger Escape Plan, Mr. Bungle.

That should keep you busy.

SlipknoT
Slayer, Dimmu Borgir, Shadows Fall, Unearth

Tptmanno1
Thanks everyone,
Korrr, Rainbow sounds awesome! I love Deep Purple... (was my first CD buy ever...)

tabby999
frenzal rhomb....dosn't fit into anything thats been posted but i think everyone should listen them, even if only once

Imaginary
Frenzal Rhomb is OK... only heard one song though.

Emma718
Muse, Unwritten Law

SlipknoT
Originally posted by Emma718
Muse, Unwritten Law Good one laughing out loud

el_barto
Elvis Costello
Jawbreaker is pretty good

I'll think of more later

MildPossession
The link didn't work for me either.

Try:

The Postal Service
Our Lady Peace
The Engineers
The Faint
The Dears
American Analog Set
The Gentle Waves
Sleater Kinney
Saosin/Circa Survive
CodeSeven(the mellow later music)
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

Just a few I enjoy listening to that you might take an interest in.

Df02
Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
Will Haven, Boy Sets Fire, Mastodon, Dillinger Escape Plan, Mr. Bungle.

That should keep you busy.

you listed will haven (my favourite band) first... i love you

since you have jazz siggy im gonna go ahead and guess you won't be into metal or all that extreme jazz (pun intended)... so i'll recommend yourcodenameis:milo and minus the bear

Tptmanno1
I am into metal, Opeth is one of my favorites...

tabby999
The Haunted, Stuck Mojo and Strapping Young Lad

knight
Big Country, The Kinks, Queen, Fleetwood Mac, The Cars, The Clash, Dave Davies...

try them and see how you progress from there...

MildPossession
Metal, ok:

Lacuna Coil
At The Gates
Apocalyptica
Amorphis
Moonspell
My Dying Bride
Paradise Lost(early stuff)
Anathema
The Gathering
Cathedral

Try some of those.

el_barto
The Clash thumbsup

jaden101
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
I've been asking AC for stuff I should get into, but I would like some other opinions, maybe bring up some stuff I haven't heard of...

This is what I have before, and yes I know, its quite pathetic...

http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=tptmanno1&PHPSESSID=6ef4a7f00910a8444304c41ba20aa4f9
I have SOME more, that I couldn't find there, But still...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

(I know the link doesn't work all of the time, the server gets overloaded or something...)

your biography says your a trumpet player...in that case listen to some russell gunn...any of his ethanomusicology albums are superb

Afro Cheese
Since you're into jazz.. if you haven't already, check out Mahavishnu Orchestra. They're a jazz/rock fusion band... pretty good IMO.

Deathblow
Definitely check out At The Gates for metal, Dark Tranquility too. And definitely definitely Willhaven for hardcore, and Eels and Pavement (possibly the most underrated band of the 90's in terms of influence) for indie.

Reckoning
Pertinent listening: Death Cab for Cutie; Elefant; Stellarstarr*; The Black Heart Procession; The Postal Service; The Rapture; Kings of Leon; Pedro The Lion; Pinback; Kaiser Chiefs; The Bravery; De/Vision; The Hidden Cameras; The Cruxshadows; Bella Morte; The Stills; Broken Social Scene; The Decemberists; Three Mile Pilot; Cursive; Clearlake; TV on the Radio.

That's all for now.

Kumar
Not sure what you would like but here is my top fifteen list from the "Top 15 Bands" thread:

Fallout Boy
The Starting
Blink 182
Sum 41
Greenday
The Matches
Avenged Sevenfold
The Used
Senses Fail
My Chemical Romance
Reliet K
Armor for Sleep
The Off spring
The Killers
Boxcar Racer

Imaginary
Originally posted by Reckoning
Pertinent listening: Death Cab for Cutie; Elefant; Stellarstarr*; The Black Heart Procession; The Postal Service; The Rapture; Kings of Leon; Pedro The Lion; Pinback; Kaiser Chiefs; The Bravery; De/Vision; The Hidden Cameras; The Cruxshadows; Bella Morte; The Stills; Broken Social Scene; The Decemberists; Three Mile Pilot; Cursive; Clearlake; TV on the Radio.

That's all for now.

Death Cab thumb up

Korri
Originally posted by Kumar
Not sure what you would like but here is my top fifteen list from the "Top 15 Bands" thread:

Fallout Boy
The Starting
Blink 182
Sum 41
Greenday
The Matches
Avenged Sevenfold
The Used
Senses Fail
My Chemical Romance
Reliet K
Armor for Sleep
The Off spring
The Killers
Boxcar Racer

Im saying no.

SlipknoT
Originally posted by Reckoning

That's all for now. Thats a Nice Mix of Elevator music...

Tptmanno1
Originally posted by Korri
Im saying no. Me too....

Df02
The Fall of Troy and The number twelve looks like you - crazy guitar work (funny but still very good)... the latter has some pretty freaky vocals too haha

RagnaViper
Anyone who wants to get some stuff with amazing guitar work should pick up the Guilty Gear XX: Soundtrack.

Seriously, some of the guitar work is up there with Iron Maiden and Early Metallica.

Dr. Strangelove
You should check out Mr. Lif for political hip hop. He's much better than Technique IMO.

Afro Cheese

Kumar
Originally posted by Korri
Im saying no.

just a suggestion, i'm not saying you have to like what i like

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.