What was the point of Live 8?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

§P0oONY
LIVE 8. 10 concerts, 100 artists, a million spectators, 2 billion viewers, and 1 message... To get those 8 men, in that 1 room, to stop 30,000 children dying every single day of extreme poverty.

Will anything come from it?

Are the G8 (8 of the most powerful world leaders) going to be effected by the concerts going on all over the globe?

Do you actually like Sir Bob Geldof?

Discuss here...

Freaky Zeeky
Good cause.
happy

PVS
a fine temporary solution

im all for it, but it all barely makes a dent

§P0oONY
I just can't believe that 1/3 of the world (Approx) are expected to be viewing it.

Pretty immense really

§P0oONY
Originally posted by PVS
a fine temporary solution

im all for it, but it all barely makes a dent

It is trying to persuade the richest world leaders to scrap Africa's debt.. the positive repercussions could be huge for the continent.. It isn't the simple handout of money.

PVS
1/3 of the world? not a shot

i would take that figure with a grain of salt

PVS

§P0oONY
Originally posted by PVS
this is the 8th live aid show, its been 20 years and its only proven to be temporary. not to put a damper on good vibes, but the rich and powerful dont give a shit. they dont respond to appeals, they only respond to pressure.

No.. this is the 2nd Live Aid show and they are not trying to make money from it..

PVS
hmmm...why did i think there was more? must be thinking of another benefit concert. there have been so many

Freaky Zeeky

§P0oONY
"This is not Live Aid 2.

These concerts are the start point for The Long Walk To Justice, the one way we can all make our voices heard in unison.

This is without doubt a moment in history where ordinary people can grasp the chance to achieve something truly monumental and demand from the 8 world leaders at G8 an end to poverty.

The G8 leaders have it within their power to alter history. They will only have the will to do so if tens of thousands of people show them that enough is enough.

By doubling aid, fully cancelling debt, and delivering trade justice for Africa, the G8 could change the future for millions of men, women and children."

- Bob Geldof

Alpha Centauri
I'm all for the cause.

I do believe more of them are in it for the exposure. The artists involved will eventually benefit more than the whole continent of Africa, most likely. Not that any of them are artists, besides a few.

They're all rich enough to pay for the drugs, don't see why they're not doing so.

-AC

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Freaky Zeeky
Nah, it is the eight.

It is the 2nd... bloody hell.... It has been talked about on TV in Britain for months

PVS
no, he's right. its the second one.

i just thought they did more

understand that i'm a child of the 80's and there were quite a few huge benefit concerts then

§P0oONY
Originally posted by PVS
no, he's right. its the second one.

i just thought they did more

understand that i'm a child of the 80's and there were quite a few huge benefit concerts then

Thank you... Finally we are in agreement that it is not the 8th

Fionnuala

Freaky Zeeky

SlipknoT
Let Africa Help itself...

PVS
classic bait if i ever saw one laughing out loud

alcoholicpoet
They could always sell drugs to pay their debt. That's what I'd do.

GuitarBunny
i believe in what they're doing

i don't understand why those 8 guys don't get off their asses and do something....meh

it'll be taken care of

bilb
good cause. good shows, cynical about any lasting effect tho

debbiejo
You can pledge support at www.live8.com

Alpha Centauri
Why are you all saying "Why don't those 8 guys...."?

The performers are rich too. How much are they donating?

Who will benefit more from this? Them or Africa?

Most of the people there probably went just to say "I was at Live 8". Not because of what it's supposed to achieve.

It's a farse.

-AC

Lana
Originally posted by bilb
good cause. good shows, cynical about any lasting effect tho

Agreed....well, most of it. There was like 4 bands I actually was interested in that are a part of this. But I really doubt it'll have any lasting effect.

Red Superfly
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

Most of the people there probably went just to say "I was at Live 8". Not because of what it's supposed to achieve.

It's a farse.

-AC

It's more about the event than the damn goal.

bilb
Originally posted by Red Superfly
It's more about the event than the damn goal.

sad but true, if all these bands were REALLY interested in helping then donate a years profits to the cause

PVS

It's a farse.

-AC

i think a bit harsh, but you are on to something

when you are a famous musician, any exposure is profitable and spikes record sales. they DO profit, regardless of whether they get paid for that show. thus, i feel that they are obligated to donate a substantial portion of this years profits, or else they DID profit off it.

debbiejo
Originally posted by PVS
i think a bit harsh, but you are on to something

when you are a famous musician, any exposure is profitable and spikes record sales. they DO profit, regardless of whether they get paid for that show. thus, i feel that they are obligated to donate a substantial portion of this years profits, or else they DID profit off it.

yes

And they can afford it.

baracustastic
no doubt some of the "artists" involved are in it as much for their sake as for Africa's.

But thanks to the publicity of the event the state of play in Africa is understood by millions more people than previously. This can only help Africa.

As far as Aid is concerned.......... yes it's short term, stop-gap, temporary. That is why the emphasis has been on fair trade rather than aid.

To those bitching about lasting effects, yet slating musicians for not giving more aid............. screw the nut!

I hope the G8 tke note of the huge numbers of people that they SERVE.

Edinburgh's gonna be interesting this week.

Alpha Centauri
Anyone that knows me knows how I am with music. I don't need to explain it.

It's a magical thing, it's art in its greatest form. However, do you think the world leaders (two of which are Bush and Blair) are gonna be convinced to stop poverty just because a bunch of people turned up to watch loads of people play music?

Bush lied to his entire country to start a needless war. What makes you think he's gonna say "Aww shucks. Let's end poverty."?

If it works, great. Who honestly believes that A) It will and B) This whole thing is as non-profit as they claim?

-AC

Red Superfly
Yeah, Jesu.........sorry, Bob Geldof and Moses........sorry, Bono, are kidding themselves.

How on Earth is a collection of artists consisting of Snoop Dog, Beyonce and The Killers truly amount to anything?

I mean, when Live 8 tickets are being pawned on EBay for triple, sometimes four times than their face value, it shows how much the public actually cares about the cause above the event. It hasn't transceneded that pop-show vibe, and that's what hurts it. That's all it is, an event. Another festival on the tick list over the summer. It's stuck in a realm of nothingness. It may do what most campaigns only dream about, and yes it will save thousands of lives, but in terms of politcial impact it will only do as much as the first one ever did.

I mean, sure, make some noise, but doing a festival-esque performance with pop stars does not get the message across, especially when all these performers do is perform their most-famous songs. What sort of message is that? It's just another typical political THING that won't do an awful lot. And I hate that, because in my heart I want it to achieve everything it possibly can.

PVS
Anyone that knows me knows how I am with music. I don't need to explain it.

It's a magical thing, it's art in its greatest form. However, do you think the world leaders (two of which are Bush and Blair) are gonna be convinced to stop poverty just because a bunch of people turned up to watch loads of people play music?

Bush lied to his entire country to start a needless war. What makes you think he's gonna say "Aww shucks. Let's end poverty."?

If it works, great. Who honestly believes that A) It will and B) This whole thing is as non-profit as they claim?

-AC

how dismal

how true

baracustastic
Politicians listen to their electorate...... could happen.

1.5 million people in Phillie, why bother to go if ll you want is to see the bands, better view on the TV. Same is true for every concert today. No point being at the concert if you aint reasonably close.

Tickets given away for free, cynical sods selling them aint the organiser's fault.

To the politicians..... Blair will listen. He is where he is because he panders to the public. I have no faith in America or Americans to sort anything out but hopefully the rest of the G8 will see the light.

Of course it's non-profit. Some of you lot give cynics a bad name.

Alpha Centauri
Why is it so definately non-profit? Because they tell you it is?

If by non-profit you mean the tickets were free, yeah, fine. If you mean overall that the performers are gaining nothing, you're so far wrong it's not even funny.

That's why I have respect for humans like Angelina Jolie, who actually actively go out to these places and take an active stance in what goes on. As opposed to turning up like Brad Pitt and saying "So, how about that poverty eh?"

When every person involved starts donating millions to the cause, I'll believe it.

-AC

Red Superfly
Why is it so definately non-profit? Because they tell you it is?

If by non-profit you mean the tickets were free, yeah, fine. If you mean overall that the performers are gaining nothing, you're so far wrong it's not even funny.

That's why I have respect for humans like Angelina Jolie, who actually actively go out to these places and take an active stance in what goes on. As opposed to turning up like Brad Pitt and saying "So, how about that poverty eh?"

When every person involved starts donating millions to the cause, I'll believe it.

-AC

Angelina Jolie just plain rocks though. She's a shining light, a beacon, if you will.

§P0oONY
I get annoyed with most of the people running the show...

But Pink Floyd played for the first time in decades... and that was worth the whole thing happening...

I reckon it is a win win situation for everyone... the tickets were as good as free (even though it was purely luck)... unless purchased by other means *cough* eBay *cough*, people got to see great live music. The people performing boosted there career. and there is a possibility that it may effect the way the G8 think and may influence them to take more drastic measures in helping the poorest continent in the world!

((The_Anomaly))
LIVE 8 is in my Town!!! seriously though...it was insane...

§P0oONY
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
LIVE 8 is in my Town!!! seriously though...it was insane...

I'm wacthing hte Canadian one on TV now... laughing

ragesRemorse
Live 8 isnt going to do crap for stopping poverty in Africa. One man who knows what he stands for can do more than a bunch of people who WANT to stand for somthing. I think there are a few people involved who genuienly care about what is going on. I think the others just have good intentions. I'm am not trying to knock the event, i htink it is always cool when people around the world can come together for a righteous cause, but there is no way that this concert event will influence people of power to change their minds about anything. After it is over, every one involved will go back to their same old routines. Change happens with determination and persistance. Isnt clear channel involved? Clear channel are the bastards helping to take away our freedom of speech.

((The_Anomaly))

§P0oONY
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
is that funny for some reason...

i dont get it...

huh

Its not really funny..... at all...... bag

KidRock
My friend asked me if I was watching this, I flipped it on for a second then changed the channel. I didn't care much for it.

Fishy

*SpunkiE*
This whole thing isnt happening just to provide money for them.

8 world leaders, gathered in Scotland for the G8 summit, will be presented with a workable plan to double aid, drop the debt and make the trade laws fair. If these 8 men agree, then we will become the generation that made poverty history.

But they'll only do it if enough people tell them to.

They're trying to get the 8 leaders to change the current laws. This isnt going to end poverty straight away, only start to try and end it.

Alpha Centauri
Yeah, we know.

But if you actually believe that, I pity you.

-AC

Bardock42

*SpunkiE*

*SpunkiE*
Yeah, we know.

But if you actually believe that, I pity you.

-AC

Why? I pity you for not having any faith in a good cause. Yeah i see your point, but something will happen, be it big or small.

Bardock42
Originally posted by *SpunkiE*
Bardock, you're talking on behalf of yourself and arent seeing my point. I know, i will be a part of the generation to actually help Africa. i have been there myself and it was a big hit on the head to see people actually living like this. The reason i want to help is because no one deserves to live like that. We are all equal. I mean, what makes me any better than a person living on the streets over there?
I know i wont be helping very much but through other charities and sponsoring, i'm doing my part. And i want to, not out of self satisfaction. Because of the fact that i DO care about other people.
Wait there was a word.....ah yes...BULLSHIT

No one cares aboot others, not honestly at least, all you do you do for selfish reasons, you just do it to feel better, not out of compassion....don't mistake it for that....yes you feel bad, probably because you were raised to think that you have to feel bad if there are others that live in "worse" conditions than you....if you want to help then...sure thing do it but don't think you are any better than anyone else because you do....

Alpha Centauri
Hahaha.

The people doing it probably don't have faith in it. They don't care or else they'd be donating out of the millions they have.

Wake up.

-AC

*SpunkiE*
Hahaha.

The people doing it probably don't have faith in it. They don't care or else they'd be donating out of the millions they have.

Wake up.

-AC

Think what you want AC. In my eyes you're wrong and in you're eyes i'm wrong.

Alpha Centauri
No, you're actually wrong.

But ok.

-AC

Bardock42
No, you're actually wrong.

But ok.

-AC

What he's saying...damn idealists without reasoning....

*SpunkiE*
Originally posted by Bardock42
Wait there was a word.....ah yes...BULLSHIT

No one cares aboot others, not honestly at least, all you do you do for selfish reasons, you just do it to feel better, not out of compassion....don't mistake it for that....yes you feel bad, probably because you were raised to think that you have to feel bad if there are others that live in "worse" conditions than you....if you want to help then...sure thing do it but don't think you are any better than anyone else because you do....

Hey man, i'm not saying i am better than anyone else for helping, i said that before. It might be hard to believe, but people do GENUINELY care about others. And again you're presuming you know what i'm about, you dont. I dont know you and you dont know me.

Bardock42
Hey man, i'm not saying i am better than anyone else for helping, thats what i said before. It might be hard to believe, but people do ACTUALLY care about others. And again you're presuming you know what i'm about, you dont. I dont know you and you dont know me.
Doesn't change Human nature...you don't do it cause you "care" you can't tell me that...no one does anything just for others...no one....not even the Dalai Lhama, the Pope, Ghandi....whoever......its just not the Huiman nature to do so........

Fionnuala
I have to say Bill Gates speech at live8 inspired me stick out tongue

Bardock42
Originally posted by Fionnuala
I have to say Bill Gates speech at live8 inspired me stick out tongue

What did he say?

*SpunkiE*
Doesn't change Human nature...you don't do it cause you "care" you can't tell me that...no one does anything just for others...no one....not even the Dalai Lhama, the Pope, Ghandi....whoever......its just not the Huiman nature to do so........

So you're saying there is no such thing as being genuinely caring?

Again, I dont know you and you dont know me. So to talk on behalf of everybody in this world and say no one cares, is naive.

Fionnuala
What did he say? I don't remember..but his voice kept breaking and he reminded me of someone from the Simpson's

Bardock42
So you're saying there is no such thing as being genuinely caring?

Again, I dont know you and you dont know me. So to talk on behalf of everybody in this world and say no one cares, is naive.

Yes

No its not its just true...there is n o such thing...you jsut can't..even if you try you can't.........

T.M
i watched all the Hyde park one in London Pink Floyd and The Who were fantastic

*SpunkiE*
Yes

No its not its just true...there is n o such thing...you jsut can't..even if you try you can't.........

How do you know it's true if you have no real evidence that it doesn't exist? Are you talking on behalf of yourself and what you know about human nature? Or everybody in this world?

Bardock42
How do you know it's true if you have no real evidence that it doesn't exist? Are you talking on behalf of yourself and what you know about human nature? Or everybody in this world?

I talking on behalf of myself, Thomas Hobbes and Friedrich nietzsche...oh yes and every other human that can see the truth and doesn't kid themselve with "caring" Bullshit

*SpunkiE*
Ok seeing as you're content on your rash beliefs, you're right in your own eyes, and i'm right in my own (and probably many other people's) eyes.

joeykangaroo
Originally posted by T.M
i watched all the Hyde park one in London Pink Floyd and The Who were fantastic why do people like pink F...they sucked..well thats what i think

Bardock42
Ok seeing as you're content on your rash beliefs, you're right in your own eyes, and i'm right in my own (and probably many other people's) eyes.

Doesn't change the ultimate truth wink .... which means you are wrong.....

Originally posted by joeykangaroo
why do people like pink F...they sucked..well thats what i think
Pink Floyd = Good.....although I haven't seen the Live8

joeykangaroo
Hey man, i'm not saying i am better than anyone else for helping, i said that before. It might be hard to believe, but people do GENUINELY care about others. And again you're presuming you know what i'm about, you dont. I dont know you and you dont know me. but for most people they dont care, as long as it isnt happening to them they couldnt give a damn

Bardock42
but for most people they dont care, as long as it isnt happening to them they couldnt give a damn

I'd say no one really cares...not the musicians that want to promote their Music, nor the fans that want to here the music, nor people that do Aid people in Africa that do it for their own good.....

joeykangaroo
I'd say no one really cares...not the musicians that want to promote their Music, nor the fans that want to here the music, nor people that do Aid people in Africa that do it for their own good..... i so totally agree

*SpunkiE*
but for most people they dont care, as long as it isnt happening to them they couldnt give a damn

I do agree, most people dont. but Bardock is saying there is no such thing as genuinely caring.

Bardock42
i so totally agree

You do know that I am saying that also means, I, you, Spunkie, nor anyone cares...like reall everyone...no single person that does...not even jesus........

*SpunkiE*
Maybe you just dont want to believe there are genuinely caring people out there.

Alpha Centauri
I think there are, but the point Bardock is most likely trying to make is:

Why should you care? Chances are that the people you care for couldn't give a shit about you. So why do it? Is it because it's "right"?

Humans don't value human life, why should I?

-AC

Bardock42
Maybe you just dont want to believe there are genuinely caring people out there.
Maybe I want to, I just can't cause there aren't happy

joeykangaroo
You do know that I am saying that also means, I, you, Spunkie, nor anyone cares...like reall everyone...no single person that does...not even jesus........ well i was more agreeing on the idea about the musicians and the fans
i think some people do care...but not them

Bardock42

Why should you care? Chances are that the people you care for couldn't give a shit about you. So why do it? Is it because it's "right"?

-AC

nah that's not the point I am trying to make...well a little maybe.....

But what I am trying to say is, if youi want to help do...but you do it because you want to....not cause you "care" (well except if you define caring as your need to help others) ..... h and AC is right, I don't really see the point in caring...in the long run it wouldn't even be useful for Humankid....

joeykangaroo
well basically- if it was us who were in need- would countries like africa help us?

England and such help so many other countries but i personally dont think they would return the favour.

*SpunkiE*

-AC

People do value life. Why the hell are people still living if they dont? Why are poverty stricken people still finding the strength eat whatever, and not just roll over and die??

Ok, im tired and getting off. SO PEOPLE, THINK WHAT YOU WANT!

Alpha Centauri
People do value life. Why the hell are people still living if they dont?

Do you actually walk around with your eyes shut and your ears blocked? People, as a race, don't value life. If they did there would be no murder, no wars. These things are sometimes necessary, however bad they are. So no, humans don't. Fact.

Why are poverty stricken people still finding the strength eat whatever, and not just roll over and die??

What a stupid question. Because people eat to live. When I say humans don't value human life, I mean as a whole. Everyone values their own life to an extent. I try to keep myself alive. But do I share that same view of the whole race? Hahahahahaaha. No.

-AC

Bardock42
People do value life. Why the hell are people still living if they dont? Why are poverty stricken people still finding the strength eat whatever, and not just roll over and die??

People value their own live.....and to some extend the lives of their close ones cause they would feel pain if they didn't live.

well basically- if it was us who were in need- would countries like africa help us?

England and such help so many other countries but i personally dont think they would return the favour.

Well they would, england and Germany and the US only do that because it is what makes them popular on teh outside...if they wouldn't all people would be like What the f**k?

Bardock42
Do you actually walk around with your eyes shut and your ears blocked? People, as a race, don't value life. If they did there would be no murder, no wars. These things are sometimes necessary, however bad they are. So no, humans don't. Fact.

What a stupid question. Because people eat to live. When I say humans don't value human life, I mean as a whole. Everyone values their own life to an extent. I try to keep myself alive. But do I share that same view of the whole race? Hahahahahaaha. No.

-AC

right on

joeykangaroo
People value their own live.....and to some extend the lives of their close ones cause they would feel pain if they didn't live.

Well they would, england and Germany and the US only do that because it is what makes them popular on teh outside...if they wouldn't all people would be like What the f**k? lol so do you mean they would help us because they probably care, whereas our countries dont laughing out loud
probably yeah

Bardock42
lol so do you mean they would help us because they probably care, whereas our countries dont laughing out loud
probably yeah

NO......I never said that....I said they would help if they could because they had to.....just as ours have to...its not like they can really chose, its a necessity to help....

joeykangaroo
NO......I never said that....I said they would help if they could because they had to.....just as ours have to...its not like they can really chose, its a necessity to help.... oh okay i get you now

Bardock42
oh okay i get you now

good then

§P0oONY
why do people like pink F...they sucked..well thats what i think

You will pay.... *shakes fist*

Bardock42

Alpha Centauri
Pink Floyd are so overrated it's not even funny.

-AC

§P0oONY
Pink Floyd are so overrated it's not even funny.

-AC

Yes they are overrated... but that doesn't mean they are not good..

DarkCrawler
Well, people, do you believe in pity?

Bardock42
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
Well, people, do you believe in pity?

Pity as in "I pity you because I learned that pity is a feeling a human is supposed to have" or pity as in "There actually is a feeling called pity, that people actually do have, and its not jsut there upbringing"

first one, well obviously...second one..no of course not.

Clovie

Bardock42
G8

Thats good...Sting is good..I like Sting...old sting songs are good.....the idea is still neutral....

Clovie
i'm too stupid to understand that site. i just wanna list of 8 countrie's and according to Wiki's it's 10 blink

*sings* message in the bottle..yeah...

Bardock42
they are (most important ones first)

Germany
United Kingdom
Canada
Japan
USA
Russia
Italy
France

Great Song......it is "Message in a Bottle" though

Clovie
i don't agree about the order erm
but thank you happy

it was my version.

§P0oONY
I reckon the order of imporatance is

USA,
Japan,
United Kingdom,
France,
Germany,
Canada,
Italy,
Russia

Bardock42

Clovie
If it is the order of importance. i think Russia should have been somewhere nearer the top (unfortunatelly sad)

Bardock42
Originally posted by Clovie
If it is the order of importance. i think Russia should have been somewhere nearer the top (unfortunatelly sad)

Holy Shit...I think people need a WWIII to see where Germany stands......

Clovie
Could you this time start from France and not us? erm

§P0oONY
okie

okay, seriously now...how did either France or the UK get more important than Germany....and well ok Japan maybe.....but we could still kick their asses.

I believe it is all about wealth... But I'm not sure who is richer then who.

The whole meeting is the 7 leaders of the richest countries & Russia meet up together.

There isn't an importance factor to be honest.. they all have the same power in the conference

Russia are only in this meeting because it was part of the agreement after the cold war... the last meeting the G7 meeting didn't include Russia

Bardock42

§P0oONY
I know, I was just kidding dude.

I'm glad.... laughing out loud

Clovie

Bardock42
oh..ok confused

still i'd prefer you not to start from us.
Why...if we'd start from you..you wouldn't see a lot of fighting...if we start with France, people will remember what happened last time and put a lot of people in your country..and all the major fighting would happen in your country...oh and destroy all the Autobahns you don't have....

Clovie
i don't see your point. blink

Bardock42
i don't see your point. blink

Hmm probably cause it is true....

jaden101

Clovie
still not following

~AlluNeedIsLuv~
I was at one of the shows! I was at the one in Toronto/Barrie, I was really close to the stage I could see each performer perfectly. It was a great show and its a really good cause you chould go to www.live8live.com and send Paul Martin E-mail and put your name on the petition!

Bardock42
Originally posted by ~AlluNeedIsLuv~
I was at one of the shows! I was at the one in Toronto/Barrie, I was really close to the stage I could see each performer perfectly. It was a great show and its a really good cause you chould go to www.live8live.com and send Paul Martin E-mail and put your name on the petition!

I'd never do that.......

alcoholicjedi
Bardock, Ive just read through all your posts, it seems to me, and I'm not tryin to start anything by saying this, but you are a nazi, any which way you say it, your veiws are very nazist.

I was at the London concert, and i truely believe that they could have made a difference, the concerts wernt in any way about money, it was all about raising awareness that someone does die every 3 seconds, and that it can be stopped very easily without really affecting economies in the west.

People may not genuinly care about the people in africa, the artists at the concerts may have just being doing it for their reputations, BUT, the fact is it was raising awareness and it is part of nature that us as a species look after one another, lions do it, elephants, dogs, most species on earth look after oneanother, and thats just what we need to do because once humanity can work as one and all be equal we can start moving on and exploring space (or something like that)

Bardock42
Originally posted by alcoholicjedi
Bardock, Ive just read through all your posts, it seems to me, and I'm not tryin to start anything by saying this, but you are a nazi, any which way you say it, your veiws are very nazist.

I was at the London concert, and i truely believe that they could have made a difference, the concerts wernt in any way about money, it was all about raising awareness that someone does die every 3 seconds, and that it can be stopped very easily without really affecting economies in the west.

People may not genuinly care about the people in africa, the artists at the concerts may have just being doing it for their reputations, BUT, the fact is it was raising awareness and it is part of nature that us as a species look after one another, lions do it, elephants, dogs, most species on earth look after oneanother, and thats just what we need to do because once humanity can work as one and all be equal we can start moving on and exploring space (or something like that)
I take you have no clue what nazis are......I don't blame you people throw around big words like Nazi nowadays just to pretend they are right.....well you are not.

I wasn't talking aboot the Live 8....possibly you misread my post.....well actually you obviously did but who cares.....so maybe the live 8 can help I never doubted that but it doesn't change that its not true caring....and small groups look after each other..and why do they do it?....to be strong as a group..its the nature of most animals...we use our reasoning to do the same...but there is no real reason why to help Africans....it probably wouldn't even be a good thing for our future ....but humans dont care...they always just do what they fits them the most......and nowadays it is "cool" to be caring and all....sure if you want to ok....its just nothing "good" or "special"...not even "useful"....so don't annoy people that have better things to do....

Oh yes, in conclusion you are a communist......wtf why should someone even say something like that...stupid idiot......

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by alcoholicjedi

Instead of trying to save Earth with unrealistic, unhelpful idealistic bullshit.

Try LIVING on Earth.

-AC

jaden101
now would you look at that... sales of pink floyd albums are up by nearly 1400%... amazing how pretending to give a toss can make you a few bucks...stave off having to write that autobiography for a few more years

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShowStory.asp?story=YW414817Q& amp;news_headline=floyd_cd_sales_soar_after_live_8
_reunion_gig_

manny321
Well i think the music was really good. The london show was really good. In Canada they had a 4 hour special called Greatest hits and i say all old school people saved the show. Green day was good, London was an amazing show and it was so cool when will smith did the "the fresh prince of bel-air song" Some good talent by pink floyd even i wasn't born near thier time.

§P0oONY
Instead of trying to save Earth with unrealistic, unhelpful idealistic bullshit.

Try LIVING on Earth.

-AC

AC, Although I agree with what you say. I don't think you should shun others to brutally.

xmarksthespot
So I'm wondering... who, if anyone, did Live 8 actually help?

It was a nice cause for celebrities, many of whom really don't give a crap about Africa and some of whom demanded requisite luxury goody bags to perform, to jump on the bandwagon?
It was a nice show put on by a lot of famous people that was probably enjoyed by many in warm homes on their TV's amongst relative opulence.
It was a good exercise in alleviating guilt among those who view Africa as a "scar on their conscience"?
But did it actually help (for example) the woman in Africa, raped, infected with HIV and now pregnant but unable to afford the AZT to prevent transmission to her child?

The expressed goal was to increase awareness of the African plight.

Even in that goal it failed as, while I'm not taking away from the terrible tragedy of the abhorrent London bombing, four bombs less than a week after is all it took for the "Western world" to once more focus it's collective sympathy in its entirety on itself and on the threat of the amorphous entity known as "terror" around every corner. I'm wondering if once again it's been forgotten that "every 3 seconds a child dies in Africa", that millions are dying needlessly.

So both those who already knew of the African plight and those who knew very little of it gained little if any awareness from Live 8.

Are donor nations suddenly going to start meeting the 0.7% of GDP foreign aid benchmark? Are Western nations suddenly going to remove their agricultural subsidies so that African nations at least have a chance to grow their economies? Probably not.

So then... was Live 8 just a colossal waste of time? Or am I just be a cynical bastard? (Probably the latter big grin )

PVS
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
So then... was Live 8 just a colossal waste of time? Or am I just be a cynical bastard? (Probably the latter big grin )

yes.....and yes stick out tongue

whirlysplat
I went to the first Live Aid 20 years ago, I didn't even watch this one on tellysmile

Bad Wolf
I went to the phillidelpha gig! It was hotter than hell but it was worth it just to see Bon Jovi!!!

I honestly can't describe the atmosphere it was amazing!!! ****ing AMAZING!!!

RUSHmusicfan
The point of Live 8 and the many artists that lent their talents and their efforts to this cause was to bring an awareness that a solution could be found to the devastation that hunger, war, blight and disease was causing on the continent of Africa specifically and the world generally as these problems decimate a population of a whole continent each day.
Many artists such as Sir Bob Geldolf, U2's Bono, Peter Gabriel, Dave Matthews, Paul McCartney, Pink Floyd's Roger Waters and Dave Gilmour , RUSH's Geddy Lee and Lenny Kravitz, just to name a few artists who seriously want a solution regarding this situation, truly and deeply view this problem as critical for the survival of a population that does not have an efficient distribution network and the means that could provide nourishment, medicine and knowledge to those affected. It is not so much to have the monies , the supplies , the knowledge to fight this problem. It is more a question of how to find a solution that would affect the greatest number of people in the most efficient means. The eight leaders of the economies with the biggest GNP's know that it is in their own interest as well as the interest of the peoples of the African continent to raise awareness of the problem that exists there and to one day completely eradicate hunger and disease form the conitinent with deeds rather than giving the problem " lip service" just because it seems right by those who could make a difference. thumb up rock doctor angel reading smart yes

Shakyamunison
Sorry wrong thread.

amity75
Live8 was certainly well meaning but unfortunately it appears to have made no impact whatsoever. Does anyone actually know the outcome of the G8 meeting? And it was sickening to read that live8 guests (including wastes of space like david and victoria beckham) got gift bags to the value of 1800 quid. Make poverty history?

debbiejo
On the news yesterday...it was said the tyrannical government there took the money, gave them more power, now they can stay in power longer and the people are still starving...It was said, it was the worst thing that could of happened...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.