Does being older mean you're wiser?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

snehin
well its said tht old men hav wisdom but cant kids be wise too??

whirlysplat
No with age comes wisdombig grin

snehin
Originally posted by whirlysplat
No with age comes wisdombig grin why is tht i mean some kids make more sense tht most adults

whirlysplat
Only about simple subjects and usually only to kids

Bardock42
Not really...most kids are stupid.....older people depends...usuylla they are stuopid but I guess there are some that are wise...not many though.....well actually most people are stupid so neither old nor young people are an exception.

snehin
Only about simple subjects and usually only to kids Originally posted by Bardock42
Not really...most kids are stupid.....older people depends...usuylla they are stuopid but I guess there are some that are wise...not many though.....well actually most people are stupid so neither old nor young people are an exception. but dont forget some teens and kids make sense more than most ppl i know my ex {my best friend now!} does make so much more sense than most ppl!bout shit like terror amd important stuff like tht she is my age a lil younger by couple months but well there are exeptions in this right?

Clovie
it depends on what you mean by 'wiser'
if it is general school-learn knowledge then the wisest are ppl at unis erm (coz later ppl tend to forget stuff)

if it is the life-wisdom, then i think it comes with age

and if it is about some weird things... children may be the smartest..they have a different way of thinking.

snehin
Originally posted by Clovie
it depends on what you mean by 'wiser'
if it is general school-learn knowledge then the wisest are ppl at unis erm (coz later ppl tend to forget stuff)

if it is the life-wisdom, then i think it comes with age

and if it is about some weird things... children may be the smartest..they have a different way of thinking. i mean in general wisdom in life and shit but i say its on the capability of the person!

botankus
Originally posted by snehin
Re: Does bein older mean ur wiser?

laughing out loud

This is most certainly not making an objective case in your favor!!

debbiejo
Originally posted by Bardock42
Not really...most kids are stupid.....older people depends...usuylla they are stuopid but I guess there are some that are wise...not many though.....well actually most people are stupid so neither old nor young people are an exception.

I'd like to think wisdom grows with age....you accumulate more experiences.....

Also, btw...women are usually the ones to point out how stupid some really is.

Bardock42
No really...m ost people are really stupid......so stupid that it hurts ones brain to listen to them...children and senior citizens (what a stupid name) are no exception...there are some that are smart and intelligent..,.and usually when you are smart you get wise after som<e tim but that's only few...and even fewer have both knowledge and wisdom....very few actually...most people are not worth talking to....

debbiejo
I do have to agree that knowledge is quite different from wisdom....I've seen many knowledgeable idiots....

But I talk to them many times...when I need a good laugh...

Clovie
No really...m ost people are really stupid......so stupid that it hurts ones brain to listen to them...children and senior citizens (what a stupid name) are no exception...there are some that are smart and intelligent..,.and usually when you are smart you get wise after som<e tim but that's only few...and even fewer have both knowledge and wisdom....very few actually...most people are not worth talking to.... i'm not worth it? happy

Storm
How do you define wisdom?

Bardock42
i'm not worth it? happy

I shall not say anything regarding this matter....

Originally posted by debbiejo
I do have to agree that knowledge is quite different from wisdom....I've seen many knowledgeable idiots....

But I talk to them many times...when I need a good laugh...

Well knowledgable idiots are still better than not-knowledgable idiots...

Originally posted by Storm

Good point..not easy to define...but still...old people don't have it...usually.....

PVS
for an individual, (mostly, barring any head injuries or drug addiction) older does mean wiser. with each passing year you are wiser than the last, absolutely.

however, i have met teenagers who are far wiser than some senior citizens.
so in a general comparrison between individuals, age has little to do with wisdom.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Storm

Maybe acting properly with knowledge you have.

PVS
i see wisdom as simply one's common sense. their ability use knowledge and experience to make important sound decisions.

Clovie
I shall not say anything regarding this matter.... means i was right stick out tongue

Bardock42
Maybe acting properly with knowledge you have.

Thats all great...but you would have to define proper in debbiejos and sound in PVSs definition...which could be a problem.....

means i was right stick out tongue

What I said before still applies....

botankus
There are many ways that teenagers can have more wisdom in certain situations. For example, I'm sure there are more people under the age of 25 who can wire a car stereo better than people older than 25.

However...there is a greater probability that when you find a person with more experience over a broad spectrum, they will have acquired that wisdom due to more experience. Over a broad array of categories, you will obtain more experience in more things as the number of days you live on earth increase.

Just like you, the thread starter, will learn to type better as you get older.

debbiejo
Originally posted by PVS
i see wisdom as simply one's common sense. their ability use knowledge and experience to make important sound decisions.

Very very true.....some of the most intelligent people I have met...don't have an ounce of common sense.....OH...how I could tell you stories..

Clovie
What I said before still applies....
by acting this way you're refusing to talk with me, ergo my point is proven.

debbiejo
Thats all great...but you would have to define proper in debbiejos and sound in PVSs definition...which could be a problem.....

OH, it's all subjective anyway.....OH how I hate that word.. big grin

Shakyamunison
Yes, I've spent many years doing stupid stuff, being in the wrong place at the wrong time, saying the wrong thing to the wrong person, and just generally f*cking up, and I'm still alive. youpi

If I made it this far, I have to be wise.

You start off as a wise-guy, and if you survive, you drop the guy and just become wise.

PVS

what problem? it all depends on the situation. some people have the wisdom when crossing the street to look both ways first. some dont. thats the difference between a sound and unsound decision in a particular situation.

Bardock42
by acting this way you're refusing to talk with me, ergo my point is proven.

I did talk to you before..furthermore I do respond to you, I just don't talk aboot this particular subject.....oh by the way...an internet forum is something else...makes people look wiser ...and idiots less meanceful....

Bardock42
Originally posted by PVS
what problem? it all depends on the situation. some people have the wisdom when crossing the street to look both ways first. some dont. thats the difference between a sound and unsound decision in a particular situation.

But on a bigger scale...like to start a war or not to start a war.....to let your best friend die or to let 20 strangers....its not that easy.....and I wouldn't call someone that looks left and right on a street wise.....but that's just me

whirlysplat
I did talk to you before..furthermore I do respond to you, I just don't talk aboot this particular subject.....oh by the way...an internet forum is something else...makes people look wiser ...and idiots less meanceful....

not always Bardock roll eyes (sarcastic) j/ksmile

Bardock42
not always Bardock roll eyes (sarcastic) j/ksmile

I think it does always.....

whirlysplat
I think it does always.....

Yup me to big grin

debbiejo
But on a bigger scale...like to start a war or not to start a war.....to let your best friend die or to let 20 strangers....its not that easy.....and I wouldn't call someone that looks left and right on a street wise.....but that's just me

Now why are you gettin all serious.....But...I think that's where you have to disconnect with yourself for the greater good....But it would depend on the situation.....I think....I would.....Do what ever the right thing was.

I've killed before.... big grin I killed a mean rooster....I stabbed it with a knife when I was pms-ing...like really bad..!!!

shaber
Not necessarily at all.

debbiejo
Originally posted by shaber
Not necessarily at all.

Some people a much wiser when they're sleeping....and why you bickering......

Bardock42
Now why are you gettin all serious.....But...I think that's where you have to disconnect with yourself for the greater good....But it would depend on the situation.....I think....I would.....Do what ever the right thing was.

I've killed before.... big grin I killed a mean rooster....I stabbed it with a knife when I was pms-ing...like really bad..!!!

really disgusting....but what is "right" is not objective.....which means to do what is "right" does not really define wisdom since part of the definition is not defined....

PVS

i see the point was missed completely.
i didnt say that looking both ways means you are wise.
i said the looking both ways is a WISE DECISION.
you are totally mixing up concepts. but to argue your point,
i will say that the biggest fool is capable of making a wise decision,
while the wisest of the wise is capable of folly. there is no point
going down a tangent of attempting to find some formula which solves
the question of who is wise and who isnt. thats completely subjective.
in the eyes of some who are younger than me, i am an all-wise guru, while
in the eyes of some who are older, i am a young naive fool. so anyway...

as far as making decisions on whether or not to go to war, the sound decision is one which is not made in haste, passion, and certainly not one to fit a hidden agenda (jab jab stick out tongue ).

many times there is no right or wrong decision, but the wise decision is one in which knowledge and one's own sense is applied to reach the conclusion which seems the best. by 'best' i mean having the best chance of solving the problem, whatever that may be. is that clear enough?

debbiejo
Originally posted by PVS

as far as making decisions on whether or not to go to war, the sound decision is one which is not made in haste, passion, and certainly not one to fit a hidden agenda (jab jab stick out tongue ).

many times there is no right or wrong decision, but the wise decision is one in which knowledge and one's own sense is applied to reach the conclusion which seems the best. by 'best' i mean having the best chance of solving the problem, whatever that may be. is that clear enough?

OH NO!!! HE SAID SUBJECTIVE!!!!!!!!!

PVS
oh ffs, isnt there an innocent creature you should be stabbing?

really, did you HAVE to share that with us?

Bardock42
Originally posted by PVS

It is better yes......that could be called a wise decision...although looking right and left isn't really a "wise" decision...not to is just so stupid that it makes doing it seem wise....

But ok your point is...ok....very subjective but at least something...

Originally posted by PVS

I know...what the hell......

debbiejo
Originally posted by PVS

See....I can kill... laughing ...If I had to I could.... laughing Tried to kill a mean duck too....but it wouldn't die...tried 3 times....

See...this is my life.....see what happens to a person when they get toooo much fresh air and are pms-ing.....they can kill.....

Clovie
I did talk to you before..furthermore I do respond to you, I just don't talk aboot this particular subject.....oh by the way...an internet forum is something else...makes people look wiser ...and idiots less meanceful.... BEFORE.

Bardock42
BEFORE.

Well yes...but that was my opinion all along...you just didn't know it...so.....

Clovie
but i do know now.

Scoobless
wisdom isn't grown, age has very little to do with it... some 60 years olds are thick as sh!t

Bardock42
but i do know now.

But...whatever.....

Originally posted by Scoobless
wisdom isn't grown, age has very little to do with it... some 60 years olds are thick as sh!t
But they probably were even thicker than shitter earlier in their life.......

PVS
It is better yes......that could be called a wise decision...although looking right and left isn't really a "wise" decision...not to is just so stupid that it makes doing it seem wise....

But ok your point is...ok....very subjective but at least something...

as your rebuttal is completely subjective. a wise decision doesnt have to be the culmination of years and years of knowledge and good sense concentrated into one decision which effects your entire life or the entire world population. it can be as simple as knowing the danger of not looking both ways.

think about it. a kid is about to cross the street and quickly remembers their parents telling them the dangers of not looking both ways (knowledge) or maybe hears stories of people getting run down and killed (knowledge), and maybe just sees cars flying by and realises the danger of being hit by one (common sense). based on their knowledge and common sense, they make the decision to look both ways.

the problem - survive crossing the road.
knowledge -parent's teachings, articles on people getting killed etc.
common sense - "hmmm these cars are going fast, and this can happen to me as well"
the decision - look both ways

on a very small scale, thats wisdom.
just because its common sense to most of us, doesnt change the fact.

whirlysplat

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by PVS
as your rebuttal is completely subjective. a wise decision doesnt have to be the culmination of years and years of knowledge and good sense concentrated into one decision which effects your entire life or the entire world population. it can be as simple as knowing the danger of not looking both ways.

think about it. a kid is about to cross the street and quickly remembers their parents telling them the dangers of not looking both ways (knowledge) or maybe hears stories of people getting run down and killed (knowledge), or maybe just sees cars flying by and realises the danger of being hit by one (common sense). based on their knowledge and common sense, they make the decision to look both ways.

the problem - survive crossing the road.
knowledge -parent's teachings, articles on people getting killed etc.
common sense - "hmmm these cars are going fast, and this can happen to me as well"
the decision - look both ways

on a very small scale, thats wisdom.

Good point, but what do you think about wisdom that comes from instinct, not from knowledge?

Bardock42
Ok....so a mxture of Common Sense and Knowledge is called wisdom.....the problem with that is that all decisions are based on knowledge (maybe wrong knowledge.....but still...) and that what you call common sense is just reasoning then nothing more.....what if the kids Parents told them that it is stupid to look left and right....and heard stories that people got robbed because of looking left and right (bullshit but still) it could change its decision but it would still be based on the kids knowledge the common sense part might work against it but in your definition wisdom can only come from knowledge....and this knowledge has to be "right" too....

Shakyamunison
Ok....so a mxture of Common Sense and Knowledge is called wisdom.....the problem with that is that all decisions are based on knowledge (maybe wrong knowledge.....but still...) and that what you call common sense is just reasoning then nothing more.....what if the kids Parents told them that it is stupid to look left and right....and heard stories that people got robbed because of looking left and right (bullshit but still) it could change its decision but it would still be based on the kids knowledge the common sense part might work against it but in your definition wisdom can only come from knowledge....and this knowledge has to be "right" too....

Wisdom is not just knowledge, it's seeing the big picture.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Wisdom is not just knowledge, it's seeing the big picture.

But what if there is no "big picture".....and who decides what this "big picture" is?

whirlysplat

All your decisions are based on knowledge and all my decisions are based on knowledge. I take issue with the statement "all" decisions are based on knowledge. As far as stupid decisions not based on knowledge this is not age dependent but becomes less as life experience increases. Decisions can also be made on wrong knowledge, or not reading a situation correctly, again this is likely to improve with age for most.

-Whirly

Shakyamunison
But what if there is no "big picture".....and who decides what this "big picture" is?

If you don't have it, you will not know what it is. There is always a "big picture".....

whirlysplat

This is where the wisdom comes in shifty

-Whirly

Deano
''The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing''

Bardock42
Originally posted by Deano

Yes yes...we all know socrates....

If you don't have it, you will not know what it is. There is always a "big picture".....

Not necessarily...there is no proof.....and there are very many ideas for "big pictures" which isthe right one...or doesn* it matter...is just acting according to one of this "big pictures" wise?

PVS
Good point, but what do you think about wisdom that comes from instinct, not from knowledge?

im not sure what you mean. i think whether or not we know it, instinct is a product of conditioning. back to the example of crossing the street. i dont go through a thought process to look both ways. im sure you dont. we just do it. but the reason is that we are conditioned to do it. when i was like 5 there probably was a thought process involved but it then became instinct through repetition.

whirlysplat

Stop it Deano your asking for it eek!

Can't hold back................

Obvious responses welling up.......................

Must stop myself before I get banned laughing out loud

Deano

you know of himno expression

Deano
Stop it Deano your asking for it eek!

Can't hold back................

Obvious responses welling up.......................

Must stop myself before I get banned laughing out loud

please carry on smile
enjoy yourself

PVS

wisdom is knowledge and sense. not sometimes one and sometimes the other.

if someone is tainted with misinformation and they do not have the sense to ponder it, research, or simply observe the 2000 lb cars flying by at 60+ m.p.h. and know what could happen, then that is having knowledge(bad at that) but completely lacking sense.

whirlysplat
please carry on smile
enjoy yourself

Bet you say that to everyone eek!

Sorry I'm not that kind of guy big grin

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by PVS
im not sure what you mean. i think whether or not we know it, instinct is a product of conditioning. back to the example of crossing the street. i dont go through a thought process to look both ways. im sure you dont. we just do it. but the reason is that we are conditioned to do it. when i was like 5 there probably was a thought process involved but it then became instinct through repetition.

I think there are two types of wisdom, first is the type we are debating, second is the type we are born with. Example; a gazelle is born in the wild and has only minuets to get onto it's feet. This is not based on knowledge it instinct. Sometimes to see the big picture you have to trust you gut (instinct).

Deano
most people on this planet have hardly any knowledge at all..they would like to think they do though

Deano
Bet you say that to everyone eek!

Sorry I'm not that kind of guy big grin

woudnt put it past ya rolling on floor laughing

whirlysplat
I think there are two types of wisdom, first is the type we are debating, second is the type we are born with. Example; a gazelle is born in the wild and has only minuets to get onto it's feet. This is not based on knowledge it instinct. Sometimes to see the big picture you have to trust you gut (instinct).

Instinct sad

oh dear is this eastern philosophy time

I must admit its clever how that Dali Llama talks and all, most Llamas I've seen just eat grass and spit

PVS
well, you refer to a primal instinct based on survival.
you cant say that eating is a product of wisdom, can you?
never in your life have you had to decide whether or not you require food.
you never had to think "well, if i dont eat, i might just die, so maybe i should give eating a try....see how it pans out". you just instinctively do it from birth.

whirlysplat
woudnt put it past ya rolling on floor laughing

big grin

Bardock42

But that's Instinct...not Wisdom

whirlysplat
But that's Instinct...not Wisdom
His saying instinct can have its place in his "big" picture and to a point I agree, but its not wisdombig grin

-Whirly

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by PVS
well, you refer to a primal instinct based on survival.
you cant say that eating is a product of wisdom, can you?
never in your life have you had to decide whether or not you require food.
you never had to think "well, if i dont eat, i might just die, so maybe i should give eating a try....see how it pans out". you just instinctively do it from birth.

I'm trying to put two things together for you. Wisdom transcends knowledge by adding the instinct with knowledge.

whirlysplat

PVS
I'm trying to put two things together for you. Wisdom transcends knowledge by adding the instinct with knowledge.

common sense may be something you are gifted with, rather
than aquire. if thats what you mean then i agree. but that has
nothing to do with instict of survival.

Shakyamunison
You can not take a class in collage on wisdom. Wisdom is knowledge applied, but how do you apply it, you learn to trust yourself.

whirlysplat
But then Confucius, he say;

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.
- Confucius

So I guess he agrees with mebig grin

Nope no instinct

debbiejo
You can't really define wisdom....you can only recognize it when you see it.

Shakyamunison
But then Confucius, he say;

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.
- Confucius

So I guess he agrees with mebig grin

Nope no instinct

So that's what this is about, you need to win.

OK, you win. laughing

debbiejo

OK, you win. laughing

Yeah...it's always about winning....It's a testosterone thing.....That's why the rooster died....It wouldn't shut up....and kept pecking me... laughing out loud So....I killed that pecker.....

whirlysplat

OK, you win. laughing

Nope its not about winning but according to arliss your option shows wisdombig grin

Humility is the only true wisdom by which we prepare our minds for all the possible changes of life.
- George Arliss

debbiejo
David Starr Jordan
Wisdom is knowing what to do next, skill is knowing how to do it, and virtue is doing it.

Bardock42
Yeah...it's always about winning....It's a testosterone thing.....That's why the rooster died....It wouldn't shut up....and kept pecking me... laughing out loud So....I killed that pecker.....

Stop talking aboot it....

Nope its not about winning but according to arliss your option shows wisdombig grin

Humility is the only true wisdom by which we prepare our minds for all the possible changes of life.
- George Arliss

And you.....keep quoting...fun to read.....

PVS

yeah, ok. some things are best kept in the closet and not shared with strangers.
also, completely off topic.

Shakyamunison

- George Arliss

Well I don't know the real answer to this, but it took me all of my life to realize it. Therefore, Yes, wisdom takes time, but a young person can show wisdom too. How does that work?

whirlysplat
Well I don't know the real answer to this, but it took me all of my life to realize it. Therefore, Yes, wisdom takes time, but a young person can show wisdom too. How does that work?

I think young people only show Wisdom within simple models, and often within learnt moral frameworks. Extrapolation within a situation is beyond them, for obvious reasons.

debbiejo
Stop talking aboot it....

Well you're the one that brought up...would you kill your best friend to save 20 people......Got me thinkin.....hmmmmmm....Could I kill?????

Just get me around some terrorist.....along with other............

See it was the women that brought down the terrorists on that flight into the Pentagon.......

OH I know, off topic......but you brought it up....don't you have enough wisdom not to do that....you brought it up you know....

whirlysplat
Well you're the one that brought up...would you kill your best friend to save 20 people......Got me thinkin.....hmmmmmm....Could I kill?????

See it was the women that brought down the terrorists on that flight into the Pentagon.......

OH I know, off topic......but you brought it up....don't you have enough wisdom not to do that....you brought it up you know....

????????????????confused

PVS

he brought up an example to relate to the topic.
you however are shooting off on multiple tangents.
its not contributing to the discussion, but rather becoming
some sort of presonal insight and confession blog:/
please let it go

the topic is on wisdom, not debbiejo's dark thoughts and dirty laundry

Bardock42

You have PMS again?

Anyways how did they find out that it was a woman? Last time I checked they didn*'t know very much.....

Anyways I just brought up an example, maybe I wasn't wise enough to see that someone would start talking aboot slaughtering some bird but well...that's just uber-wisdom...and now...maybe you could just stop it...

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by PVS
he brought up an example to relate to the topic.
you however are shooting off on multiple tangents.
its not contributing to the discussion, but rather becoming
some sort of presonal insight and confession blog:/
please let it go

the topic is on wisdom, not debbiejo's dark thoughts and dirty laundry

Can we make a new thread out of that?

"debbiejo's dark thoughts and dirty laundry"

PVS
Can we make a new thread out of that?

"debbiejo's dark thoughts and dirty laundry"

laughing out loud yeah sure, why not. that has OTF written all over it.
so long as its not here

debbiejo
Oh....you guys need to live in your right hemisphere more often......And NO...they didn't say it was women that attacked the terrorists....just thought it should of been.....

OK...back on topic....

And I'm not having a tangent.....just sharing blink

Because you can't describe what wisdom is....you just know it when you see it.....

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by PVS
laughing out loud yeah sure, why not. that has OTF written all over it.
so long as its not here

OK did it, go check it out. Have fun, got to run.

botankus
You have PMS again?

Either that or PVS. I don't know which is worse! stick out tongue

Bardock42
Originally posted by botankus

Dammit..I hate you...I was waiting for a right time to make that joke since I first saw PVS.......sad

debbiejo
Originally posted by botankus

It's PVS.....

PVS
wow...who would have thought of such a play on initials

comedic genius roll eyes (sarcastic)

debbiejo
Originally posted by PVS
wow...who would have thought of such a play on initials roll eyes (sarcastic)

Maybe cause you're so FULL of wisdom.....

Anonymous (Greek Proverb)
Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.

This is my take on it.....

Bardock42
Originally posted by PVS
wow...who would have thought of such a play on initials

comedic genius roll eyes (sarcastic)

i know I know...but its a joke anyway...a cheap joke granted.....but I would have lauughed...I like laughing aboot my own jokes sad

debbiejo
i know I know...but its a joke anyway...a cheap joke granted.....but I would have lauughed...I like laughing aboot my own jokes sad

And at least you don't have PVS.... laughing

PVS
And at least you don't have PVS.... laughing

tip for a budding comedian: jokes tend to become less and less funny with repetition. for example see jeff foxworthy.

now, what was that topic again?

whirlysplat
Oh I don't know some jokes just get funnierbig grin

-Peace

debbiejo
Originally posted by PVS
tip for a budding comedian: jokes tend to become less and less funny with repetition. for example see jeff foxworthy.

now, what was that topic again? sad

Don't know jeff foxworthy.....

Let me remind you now....the topic is wisdom......

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it......Ah oh.....

Jackie Malfoy
There is a old saying that it does.I guess because you learn so much as a kid and you are much smarter as you are older.Or something like that.JM

Scoobless

but do you understand what it really means?

whirlysplat
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
There is a old saying that it does.I guess because you learn so much as a kid and you are much smarter as you are older.Or something like that.JM

Yes its something like thatsmile

cking
it is true sometimes, the older a person the wiser, because they have been on earth longer than the ones after and so they know more.

whirlysplat

Oh yes, I just don't agree with itbig grin

Deano
"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance"

sadly people choose the second one

Deano
The man of knowledge believes he knows something. The man of wisdom knows he knows something. The man of knowing knows he knows nothing. Can you see the power and freedom that knowing that you know nothing gives you? Now you are free to be who you are, experience what is in your present moment and then be open for the next moment. Since you know you know nothing, you are not locked into a world of dogma, beliefs, false truths or even past experiences. Each moment is fresh; each moment brings to you an aliveness and an excitement that knowledge and wisdom just do not have. Enjoy knowledge and wisdom, but be a being of knowing.

but people are locked into a world of dogma, beliefs, false truths or even past experiences. Thats what keeps us blind from the truth

whirlysplat
To understand reality is not the same as to know about outward events. It is to perceive the essential nature of things. The best-informed man is not necessarily the wisest. Indeed there is a danger that precisely in the multiplicity of his knowledge he will lose sight of what is essential. But on the other hand, knowledge of an apparently trivial detail quite often makes it possible to see into the depth of things. And so the wise man will seek to acquire the best possible knowledge about events, but always without becoming dependent upon this knowledge. To recognize the significant in the factual is wisdom.

whirlysplat

carnival_junkie

it isnt age that brings wisdom, but experience.

The wise are the ones who listen. The knowledgable are the ones that talk.

Jedi_KnightAlly
Kids (by that i mean under 16), lack maturity a lot of the time, which is why their opinions are discounted. Children also tend to have a rose tinted view of the world. Or lack of insight.

Bardock42

I am relatively sure I do...although who knows if one understands any philosopher anyways.....

snehin
"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance"

sadly people choose the second one lol!!
Originally posted by carnival_junkie
it isnt age that brings wisdom, but experience.

The wise are the ones who listen. The knowledgable are the ones that talk. so talkin is bad and listenin is good in this case!!!

CorderaMitchell
I don't think age equals wisdom, but you get some understanding, its how you apply that understanding that makes you wise.

Knowledge doesn't= wisdom...

EsteemedLeader
well, i know i am far wiser than my stepfather, so age cant equal wisdom

debbiejo
I'm wiser then most men too..

Bardock42
Argh, I hate when people brag aboot how smart and wise and knowledgable they are .......

SaTsuJiN
if you're talking about the wisdom of lifes experiences, then yes.. elders would be more in-tune with advice for younger people...

however if you meant wise as in scoring genius-level on an IQ test then thats not an age determining factor

debbiejo
Argh, I hate when people brag aboot how smart and wise and knowledgable they are .......

Well, I'm not really all that smart....just versatile...

unit01
Kids can be wiser than some older people. It depends on the type of person the older is and the child is. Of course, we all know that the creator of this thread is indeed not wise, or she could answer this herself, and would also not use so many typos in the process of making this thread.

unit01
HAHAHAHAH

unit01
Im new and i was talking about Snehin's stupidity, not anyone elses.

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
if you're talking about the wisdom of lifes experiences, then yes.. elders would be more in-tune with advice for younger people...

however if you meant wise as in scoring genius-level on an IQ test then thats not an age determining factor

wisdom and intelligence are different

intelligence is the ability to adapt, so wisdom would technically be out of the question.

Think about this, the demands for a higher score go up with age.
So you can conclude that intelligence is higher in children than adults, but the adults usually have more experience.

But this isn't ALWAYS the case.

snehin
ok now i wanna know smthin before this keeps goin does bein smart even matter to ppl common everyday ppl do we care about brains in someone elses body?

Imaginary
I don't like stupid people, if that's what you're asking.

snehin
Originally posted by Imaginary
I don't like stupid people, if that's what you're asking. no i'm askin if anyone even cares if ppl are stupid?

Imaginary
no i'm askin if anyone even cares if ppl are stupid?
If you were about to undergo brain surgery, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want it performed by a stupid person.

snehin
If you were about to undergo brain surgery, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want it performed by a stupid person. lol ok u have a point!

snehin
If you were about to undergo brain surgery, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want it performed by a stupid person. like ur bew sig by the way

Spelljammer
Not nesscarely. Wisdom comes with selflessness, experience, and letting God speak to you.. If you're a stagnant being then about the only think age may do for you is make you more intelligent. (And even then only mildly..) As we are constantly being fed information.. Today's society has an abundance of intelligent people, but not a hint of wisdom. They have rejected The God that resides in us all for thier marketing ploys and fancy cars.. And it's going to get worse before it get's better..

An intelligent person knows a tomato is a fruit.
A wise person knows not to put a tomato in a fruit salad.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Spelljammer
Not nesscarely. Wisdom comes with selflessness, experience, and letting God speak to you..

Wisdom is the ability to practically apply the accumulated knowledge, erudition and enlightenment of one's life. It is the ability "to discern or judge what is true, right, or lasting". God has nothing to do with it. Actually, to be quite honest, accepting things through faith alone, which is often required when practicing religion goes against the definition of wisdom in some aspects.

Originally posted by Spelljammer
Today's society has an abundance of intelligent people, but not a hint of wisdom. They have rejected The God that resides in us all for thier marketing ploys and fancy cars.. And it's going to get worse before it get's better..

There is alot of wisdom out there today, it's just that it is often ignored. Rejecting your idea of god has nothing to do with it. There are many wise people, today and throughout history, who did not believe in God. Perhaps you should save the god-talk for the religion forum, or at least for when it applies.

To help answer the original question, attaining the experiences and knowledge that would help to make one wise is a direct result of life experience and aging. That kinda makes the point that the older you get the wiser you get. However, there are plenty of older people who are not wise, but I believe that a lack of intelligence, maturity or ability to think for themselves plays a part in that also. Being older does not make you wiser, but it definitely helps.

debbiejo
To understand reality is not the same as to know about outward events. It is to perceive the essential nature of things. The best-informed man is not necessarily the wisest. Indeed there is a danger that precisely in the multiplicity of his knowledge he will lose sight of what is essential. But on the other hand, knowledge of an apparently trivial detail quite often makes it possible to see into the depth of things. And so the wise man will seek to acquire the best possible knowledge about events, but always without becoming dependent upon this knowledge. To recognize the significant in the factual is wisdom. Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

PVS
To understand reality is not the same as to know about outward events. It is to perceive the essential nature of things. The best-informed man is not necessarily the wisest. Indeed there is a danger that precisely in the multiplicity of his knowledge he will lose sight of what is essential. But on the other hand, knowledge of an apparently trivial detail quite often makes it possible to see into the depth of things. And so the wise man will seek to acquire the best possible knowledge about events, but always without becoming dependent upon this knowledge. To recognize the significant in the factual is wisdom. Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

if you're going to quote dietrich bonhoeffer, the least you can do is give her credit

debbiejo
OK laughing out loud Ok ok....it was her......

KharmaDog
Originally posted by PVS
if you're going to quote dietrich bonhoeffer, the least you can do is give her credit

Happy Dance laughing BUSTED!!!!! laughing Happy Dance

debbiejo
I said ok....but the last sentence was me..... big grin

PVS
I said ok....but the last sentence was me..... big grin

no, it was andre gide

looks like you're 0 for 2. wanna try again?

debbiejo
OK.ok.blink laughing out loud .....I knew you were going to search that.....

But, I've said that...just differently....

Should I leave now????

OK...here's my original....wisdom is knowing you know nothing....Now that's me...I thought of that.

PVS
OK.ok.blink laughing out loud .....I knew you were going to search that.....

But, I've said that...just differently....

Should I leave now????

OK...here's my original....wisdom is knowing you know nothing....Now that's me...I thought of that.

only you would be so bold as to plagiarise socrates and think nobody will notice roll eyes (sarcastic)

strike 3

KharmaDog
To claim a plagiarised statement as your own, more than once in a single thread shows a lack of both intelligence and wisdom big grin

debbiejo
I can't help it if he thinks like me......

True wisdom is searching all, but never acknowledge knowing all, and then applying it as best you can...

PVS
true wisdom is knowing when to quit laughing out loud

KharmaDog
Originally posted by PVS
true wisdom is knowing when to quit laughing out loud laughing laughing laughing

debbiejo
Well, I'll just go back to what I said earlier.

Well, I'm not really all that smart....just versatile...

Mr Parker
why is tht i mean some kids make more sense tht most adults

well everybodys different,none of us are all the same so there are naturally going to be some kids out there who make more sense than some adults do and as far as the topic goes,again it all depends on the individual because some adults never grow up or grow wiser and just repeat the same mistakes they did as kids and never learn from their mistakes,my best friends brother is a prime example of that.I know kids that are far more mature than him and far wiser than he is.

Bardock42
Holy shit...anyone got a wall at hand I can hit my head against repeatedly? .........deebie ....that's just low.....no

DarkC
Wisdom comes from experience, so age does play a big part in it.

debbiejo
Leave me alone.........I'm just creativily versatile...I really thought some of it was really me....I guess I just owned it.. big grin

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>