The Sixth Sense Crowd

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

criteek
Just like with all of Shyamalan's movies, Sixth Sense brings all the movie snobs out of the woodwork. Boring and largely pointless as his films may be, they retain just barely a deep enough plot so that this crowd of people (composed primarily of yuppies and middle aged folk with a sprinkling of drab youngsters) can feel like they are intelligent for watching it. That they are one step above, maybe, the average movie goer. Nevermind that the kid could have told him right away he was a ghost and even proved it to him thus removing the entire need for the movie.

It's significant because that's what this crowd is really after. Not even the movie-going experience, but to be able to smugly pull that Sixth Sense (or sometimes American Beauty) card out of their pocket when reviewing another movie. Then we get to hear "Well, it didn't have a great ending like Sixth Sense!" Uh, yeah. Somewhere along the line it became gospel that the more dull a movie is and the more melodramatic it is, the better it is.

But what's sad is that why this crowd is so content to praise "intelligent" movies and ridicule "stupid" movies (apparently without ever understanding how completely subjective that is), very few of those will actually put that "intelligence" to good use and actually create something. It's not even a matter of those who can't do, criticizing. Instead it's people who are too lazy or too afraid to try, or maybe they're just comfortable being snobs that they afraid to risk that elite status to put something out there that might be ripped to shreds in a feeding frenzy by some of their fellow critics. For people who supposedly take the arts so seriously, they refuse to get their hands dirty and taking some verbal abuse themselves. But they love to watch it happen to other people.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by criteek
Just like with all of Shyamalan's movies, Sixth Sense brings all the movie snobs out of the woodwork. Boring and largely pointless as his films may be,

But what's sad is that why this crowd is so content to praise "intelligent" movies and ridicule "stupid" movies (apparently without ever understanding how completely subjective that is),

Apparently you're the one that won't acknowledge the subjectivity, especially when you're blindly insulting fans of his films, making these ****ing stupid blanket statements and allegations. Believe it or not, not all M. Night fans are "snobs", nor comprised of "yuppies". He's a modern day Hitchcock, IMO. M. Night's got a knack for storytelling and realism, a talent you apparently can't appreciate, and one that differentiates himself and so many of Hollywood's truely elitist writer/directors.

If you want to actually debate your views, instead of using our forums as a soapbox for your LiveJournal whining, I'd love to hear a rebuttal. Just come prepared.

Mandorallen
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Apparently you're the one that won't acknowledge the subjectivity, especially when you're blindly insulting fans of his films, making these ****ing stupid blanket statements and allegations. Believe it or not, not all M. Night fans are "snobs", nor comprised of "yuppies". He's a modern day Hitchcock, IMO. M. Night's got a knack for storytelling and realism, a talent you apparently can't appreciate, and one that differentiates himself and so many of Hollywood's truely elitist writer/directors.

If you want to actually debate your views, instead of using our forums as a soapbox for your LiveJournal whining, I'd love to hear a rebuttal. Just come prepared.

WOAH! Happy Dance

=================================

I agree with cine, you wont find many directors that direct in his style.

for instance these are very unique films of his, and my personal favorites.

The sixth sense
Unbreakable
The village
Signs
wide awake
and praying with anger
==========

I hope his new movie next year "lady in the water" is also as thrilling.

Fire
I do feel you get the drift of his movies quite fast atleast the 4 I saw

Myth
For somebody who thinks that others take movies too seriously, you are sure taking this citique on 6th Sense pretty damn seriously yourself. Hypocrit.

Anyway, I did find the movie extremely boring as well, but that is not to say that the movie was bad (and especially the ending). The ending was great because it "got people" more than probably any other movie. If it weren't for the astounding twist at the end, I would probably not have much respect for the movie as well. However, the ending justified the need for the tone of the movie to pull off the fact that nobody talked to Bruce besides the boy.

botankus
One thing about his movies: You KNOW what's going to happen (i.e. the Alien in the pantry in Signs, the porcupine in the woods in The Village, etc....) and he still makes it worth watching.

Think about what I just said. The key element - supposively - of suspense is not knowing what's going to happen. This guy can tell you EXACTLY what's going to happen and still keep the suspense. Quite impressive if you ask me.

Fionnuala
Originally posted by botankus
One thing about his movies: You KNOW what's going to happen (i.e. the Alien in the pantry in Signs, the porcupine in the woods in The Village, etc....) and he still makes it worth watching.

Think about what I just said. The key element - supposively - of suspense is not knowing what's going to happen. This guy can tell you EXACTLY what's going to happen and still keep the suspense. Quite impressive if you ask me. Very true....

somehow he seems to turn the predictable nature of his films to his advantage...plus if you see them a second or third time you begin to see the story behind them....as with The Village there is a beautiful romance story under the immediate...

That probably dosen't relate much to the actually subject but that's just my thoughts on him embarrasment

ragesRemorse
night is the man. He blends so many aspects of story telling together in a fresh presentation. Excluding the village, all of his movies flow with great pacing and character development. The man has fans for a reason...because he makes good movies.

Erazmus

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.