A talk with an athiest

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TrAnCeDuO
friend: I ****ing hate religion
me: i think its okay i guess
friend: it's stupid
me: cant say i actually llive my life by it
friend: it makes people say and do ****ing stupid things
friend: it takes away free will
friend: it's ****ing nazism
friend: if there is a God
me : but didnt i choose that?
friend: he is a practical hitler
friend: no
friend: you don't get it
friend: you can choose not to be Jesus' little soldier
friend: and refuse to be religious
friend: but if you do
friend: OMG YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!!!
friend: what did hitler do?
friend: kill anyone who didn't join him/fit his image.
friend: ****ing stupid bullshit
friend: religion was only created to stop people from killing each other
friend: primitive therapy
me: o_0
friend: gave people a shitty reason to live
friend: otherwise we would have all commited suicide by now
friend: some idiot amde it all up
me: no offense but some of that doesnt make much logical sense
friend: how not?
friend: okay
friend: a long time ago
friend: some wacko made up religion
friend: you know what
friend: I'm not bothering
friend: you're foolish
friend: and I don't feel like arguing this
me: *shrugs* if you say so

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
listen people i dont really care what religion you are. i think you should follow whatever religion you want to. But if you insult my God then i expect you to actually back up your beliefs with some valid reasoning.

discuss?

Shakyamunison
This thread is contrived (too crude). I don't believe that this is a real conversation. Not all atheists are bad-mouthed idiots. The statement "my God" is exclusionary, and reminds me of people who are closed minded. Valid reasoning will have no effect on a close minded person who is exclusionary. Any argument will be met with unwavering anger.

finti
so wy dont you start backing up your belief with valid reasoning then to start this off

TrAnCeDuO
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
This thread is contrived (too crude). I don't believe that this is a real conversation. Not all atheists are bad-mouthed idiots. The statement "my God" is exclusionary, and reminds me of people who are closed minded. Valid reasoning will have no effect on a close minded person who is exclusionary. Any argument will be met with unwavering anger.
I never said anything bad about athiests. im just annoyed that someone made baseless claims about my religion. but yeah i think your right. one thing i forgot to mention about my friend is that i like him but he has to be one of the most painfully opinionated people ive ever met. its either his method/opinion/etc or you totally blow ass.

Originally posted by finti
so wy dont you start backing up your belief with valid reasoning then to start this off

you want me to explain? fine i will.

" friend: it makes people say and do ****ing stupid things"
err okay i guess encouraging morality and order within society is bad. pick up guns everyone! lets start killing each other!!!111

" friend: it takes away free will"
thats only partially true. at birth i didnt make the decision to become christian but later on in life i chose to become a confirmed one. but even if i did/didnt become confirmed i still have "free will". i am a confirmed christian but it doesnt mean at all that i have to listen to what the bible says. i do what i want. i am no ones puppet. my accomplishments, my failures, all that was because of the choices i made...not gods.

"friend: it's ****ing nazism
friend: he is a practical hitler"
*loud yawn*
heres an interesting factoid, wikipedia lists the insults"nazi" and "hitler" as extremely tired and cliched. seriously boo-frickin-whoo. go cry about your god problems to someone else.

" friend: you can choose not to be Jesus' little soldier"
isnt this contradicting what you said earlier about not having free will when you are a christian? regardless yes but i chose to anyways. but the point you miss is that being a christian doesnt arbitrairily turn you into a zombie. as i said earlier i do whatever i want.

" friend: OMG YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!!!
friend: what did hitler do?
friend: kill anyone who didn't join him/fit his image.
friend: ****ing stupid bullshit"

heres a question for you....which religions DONT threaten you with this outcome if you do not convert and obey? also whats so wrong with following god? if you had actually read the bible you would realize that its full of instructions to living a vurtuous life. also what if hell is real? maybe its so feared of because it might actually exist. god wont allow entry to anyone, you must prove yourself worthy.

" friend: religion was only created to stop people from killing each other
friend: primitive therapy
friend: gave people a shitty reason to live
friend: otherwise we would have all commited suicide by now
friend: some idiot amde it all up"
*yawn* hear we go again with another sad cliched response. nobody
"invented" religion for the sake of control. i think youve been reading too much into the Spanish Inquistion. Yes at times the church was corrupt but if you ignore that and look at the Bible itself youll find that it was created through series of documented events. regardless the bible can provide plenty of reason to live a virtuous life.

cking
no need for this.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by cking
no need for this.

I second that...
Sounds like an excuse to curse.

cking
nope

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by cking
nope

Explain please...

debbiejo
TrAnCeDuO people cannot be lumped into catagories of black and white..

xmarksthespot
The title of your thread is misleading. It implies this person's views are the views of all atheists.

So your friend questioned your religion? Boo hoo.

Seriously if I had a dime for every time someone from a campus Christian group came up to me and tried to convert me with eerily cult-like tactics and a dime for every time a Christian told me I was going to hell then I'd probably have at least ten dollars. (I once got told off by a Christian lady for holding hands with a now-ex because we weren't married What the f**k? ).

Doesn't mean I can't distinguish between a particular person and collective group of people.

Besides if in my opinion I find Christianity as a religion to be incongruous, illogical and oft hypocritical then I'm perfectly welcome to my opinion. An opinion is not a fact, it is not necessarily always based on reasoning or evidence.

TrAnCeDuO
Originally posted by debbiejo
TrAnCeDuO people cannot be lumped into catagories of black and white..
i think a few of you are missing the point. i dont care what the hell your religion is. all i ask is that if you have the nerve to criticize mine then you had better do it in a logical fashion rather than pulling stuff out of your ass like my friend did.
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
The title of your thread is misleading. It implies this person's views are the views of all atheists.

So your friend questioned your religion? Boo hoo.

Seriously if I had a dime for every time someone from a campus Christian group came up to me and tried to convert me with eerily cult-like tactics and a dime for every time a Christian told me I was going to hell then I'd probably have at least ten dollars. (I once got told off by a Christian lady for holding hands with a now-ex because we weren't married What the f**k? ).

Doesn't mean I can't distinguish between a particular person and collective group of people.

Besides if in my opinion I find Christianity as a religion to be incongruous, illogical and oft hypocritical then I'm perfectly welcome to my opinion. An opinion is not a fact, it is not necessarily always based on reasoning or evidence.
okay ill admit it i messed up on the title. but dont get wrong i can distinguish between one person and a group. also i dont remember ever saying that "all athiests are evil" or anything so i think your taking my words way out of context.

regardless i think this rant has ran its course...ill ask a mod to close it.

have a good day losers

lil bitchiness
Closed on request of the thread starter.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.