IRA formally end armed campaign

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jaden101
from 4 pm today the Irish Republican Army (IRA) will formally end their paramilitary campaign against Great Britain. their violent fight to unite Northern Ireland with the Republic has ended to make way for a solely political struggle for that cause

the IRA have been blamed for over 1800 murders in the last 30 years

a statement released today is as follows

witnessess from both the catholic and protestant churches have been invited to oversee the decommisioning process

i think that the formal end to this long and bloody dispute gives some small hope that other such differences throughout the world can also be resolved...israel/palestine being the obvious one

very few disputes had so much long standing and ingrained hatred than the sectarian divides of northern ireland...if they can find a peaceful way...then hopefully so can many others

Fire
True, tho I seriously doubt the IRA will give up all its weapons

whirlysplat
Originally posted by jaden101
from 4 pm today the Irish Republican Army (IRA) will formally end their paramilitary campaign against Great Britain. their violent fight to unite Northern Ireland with the Republic has ended to make way for a solely political struggle for that cause

the IRA have been blamed for over 1800 murders in the last 30 years

a statement released today is as follows

witnessess from both the catholic and protestant churches have been invited to oversee the decommisioning process

i think that the formal end to this long and bloody dispute gives some small hope that other such differences throughout the world can also be resolved...israel/palestine being the obvious one

very few disputes had so much long standing and ingrained hatred than the sectarian divides of northern ireland...if they can find a peaceful way...then hopefully so can many others

I just hope no one pretends Gerry Adams is a hero! His not!

Fire
It's He's not and I dunno much about this conflict, but Gerry Adams always appealed to me.

PVS
i hope that in the future, brown terrorists will be as easily forgiven as white terrorists

Sadako of Girth
With all the ceasefires/decommissionings that have been promised before yet to no avail, I'll wait and watch before celebrating....
But I would love this to be real....

Fire
good point PVS

whirlysplat
Originally posted by Fire
It's He's not and I dunno much about this conflict, but Gerry Adams always appealed to me.

your english lessons are going well, well donebig grin

Can you say nitpick?

As a dyslexic with a SLED Specific Learning Difficulty doing A level English was quite a featbig grin

whirlysplat
Originally posted by Fire

H is a terrorist plain and simple. He in the seventies was the first terrorist in the world to turn his organisation into one which was cell based. Thereby making all terrorists organisations that copied this plan much more difficult to catch he has a lot to answer for.
The Loyalist terrorists are equally culpable.

Fishy
We will see how this turns out, but its a very good idea and a step in the right direction lets just hope it works.

Fire
Originally posted by whirlysplat
your english lessons are going well, well donebig grin

Can you say nitpick?

As a dyslexic with a SLED Specific Learning Difficulty doing A level English was quite a featbig grin

yea sorry

having a sister with dyslexia and a very mild form of it myself I know how annoying it can be.

I know Gerry Adams is a terrorist or atleast was a terrorist, but that doesn't take away I think the man has natural Charisma.

Fishy
Just like Hitler

Ushgarak
Just about everyone in Northern Ireland is culpable- everryone there, regardless of intention, got drawn into the moral void that was the Troubles.

This has been a huge amount of work. If this last stage of the peace process carries off, it will be a spectacular justification of all the apparently absurd steps that had to be take nto get there- done in the name of future peace- and it will finally prove that the idea that such armed conflict can never be truly resolved without surrender is totally untrue. It will be a trimph for all involved.

jaden101
the ned of the violence in the name of poitics is one thing...but the fact that the IRA still run much of the drug trafficking and other organised crime activities...it remains to be seen if they give up this as well...even though the statement they gave said an end to criminal activity

Fire
Originally posted by Fishy
Just like Hitler

True but I wouldn't put them n the same category

amity75
Killing people for political gain is wrong. And if the IRA are such devout Catholics then haven't they read that part of the Bible which says "Thou shalt not kill"?

KidRock
At least they know when to stop and have a sense of mind. Unlike the "brown" terrorists(as PVS put it).

GCG
I am wondering how many of those families who lost relatives to the IRA armed campaigns find this news satisfactory.

Dont get me wrong; its good news.

ash007
Originally posted by PVS
i hope that in the future, brown terrorists will be as easily forgiven as white terrorists

you do know that most suicide bombers aren't just brown they can be black or white.

One of the suspected suicide bombers who bombed London was Black.

Also there can also be white Muslim extremest as well. Because Islam is a very big religion.

PVS
point missed i see...

bilb
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
With all the ceasefires/decommissionings that have been promised before yet to no avail, I'll wait and watch before celebrating....
But I would love this to be real....

i tend to agree with this

GCG
lets hope CIRA is included in IRA

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.