Jedi Ranking

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KMCF
Obi Wan became a Jedi Knight after he defeated Darth Maul. But when did he ascend to Jedi Master. In Episode 4 He is a Jedi Knight Agian.

Captain REX
Are you kidding? Obi-Wan was certainly a Master in A New Hope.

He ascended to Jedi Master when he obtained Council membership; it was not in a movie.

stunna1773
once ur like given master ur master

((The_Anomaly))
he was given master sometime during the clone wars.

and he was a master in ANH, but they are still as a group, called Jedi knights, thats what prolly confused you.

even a group of masters, would by most other people in the galaxy, be referred to as Jedi knights, even though thier masters.

Tulak Hord
He attained master after Anakin became a Knight. Atleast, that's how it's supposed to go. But that kinda ranking is EU, and even him attaining council membership is EU to some people....hmm....so how did he become part of the council if only the movies count..And no I ain't directing this at anomoly. He's (luckily) cool with EU.

KMCF
Actuall I went to this Lightsaber Site and it said Obi Wan Was a Padawan, A Knight, A Master, And A Knight agian.

http://www.thelightsaber.com/historyO.htm#ToObiWanKenobi

dAngEr_Is_gO!
I agree with Tulak Hord. Obi Wan became a Jedi Master when Anakin became a Jedi Knight. In EpIII everyone certainly refers to him as Master Kenobi.
"Knights" I think is the collective noun for a group of Jedi. Probably the safest term as a group of Jedi could contain one Master, two Knights and three Padawans so you are not going to put them all under the umbrella of "Masters".

Force Adept
Originally posted by KMCF
Actuall I went to this Lightsaber Site and it said Obi Wan Was a Padawan, A Knight, A Master, And A Knight agian.

http://www.thelightsaber.com/historyO.htm#ToObiWanKenobi

That site is not accurate whatsoever. He was promoted to Master in between Ep. II and Ep. III, whenever Anakin was promoted to Knight.

Tptmanno1
Exactly. Obi was a master in ROTS, thats obvious, and there's no reason to suspect that he was magicly demoted even though he lived all by himself out iin Tatoonie.

Aduruth
obi's master, even if you dont think he was promoted to master in between ep 2 and ep 3, anakin says "im the only one on the council not made master. or something to thast effect. and obis on the council making him a master. obviously.

KMCF
I know he was a Jedi Master in Episode III. Yoda said he failed to kill Sidious so he went into Exile. Obi Wan was a very smart Fighter in Episode III but he did not kill Anakin so he could have been a Failed Jedi Master.

InsaneNoodlyGuy
I know he was a Jedi Master in Episode III. Yoda said he failed to kill Sidious so he went into Exile. Obi Wan was a very smart Fighter in Episode III but he did not kill Anakin so he could have been a Failed Jedi Master.

There is no title of "Failed Jedi master" While Obi Wan Kenobi certainly may have considered himself a failure as a teacher and thus unworthy of being called a master, that would be his own personal feelings. I doubt with everythign else going on that Yoda would take the time to formally demote him. Therefore, he is still a Jedi master.

As to the site, what next? are people here going to be quoting Supershadow's midichlorian levels?

Illustrious
Originally posted by Tulak Hord
He attained master after Anakin became a Knight. Atleast, that's how it's supposed to go. But that kinda ranking is EU, and even him attaining council membership is EU to some people....hmm....so how did he become part of the council if only the movies count..And no I ain't directing this at anomoly. He's (luckily) cool with EU.

What kind of crap logic is this?

There's a few syllogisms you have to follow to figure this out:

Obi-Wan was a JEDI KNIGHT in AOTC.

Obi-Wan was a COUNCIL MEMBER in ROTS

Anakin Skywalker mentions he's the only one on the council that is NOT A MASTER.

There is a fair amount of time that elapses between AOTC and ROTS.

THEREFORE, Obi-Wan became a Jedi Master between AOTC and ROTS.

It's not "non-canon" that he became a Jedi Master, it's you just refusing to use your head. It has no implications on EU being canon or not, so your snipes were poorly aimed.

InsaneNoodlyGuy
Ye gawds, not the cannon argument again. Lets settle it now: It's true unless the movies contradict it or you don't want to believe it, just don't argue too much about it online. There's yoru answer.

... YUZHAN VONG RAWWWKKKKK! *runs for it*

Captain REX
Canon. Not cannon. Cannons kill people. Canon just drives EU fanboys insane. Don't bring up another silly 'If it doesn't blah blah blah' argument in here. big grin

Obi-Wan was a Master before ROTS, that's all that matters.

And thelightsaber.com is not to be trusted, except for all the replicas and pictures of lightsabers; the pictures are accurate. big grin

Force Adept
http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/obiwankenobi/

"During the Clone Wars, Kenobi ascended to the rank of Jedi Master, and he occupied a position in the Jedi Council."

Read and understand.

Ushgarak
The confusion here is that any Knight with a Padawan is known as the 'Master' of that Padawan. But this is distinct from the RANK of Master- which, odd as it may seem, and as much as everyone assumed it was so, we were not actually told in the films was a rank you could be so awarded until ROTS.

So Obi-Wan becomes Anakin's Master VERY early, but doesn't become a Jedi Master until sometime between AOTC and ROTS. He never loses tha rank but it does become somewhat irrelevant.

So, all seems sorted now.

queeq
Is it? Seems to me you either become Master when you take on a Padawan or when you get the titler of Master. In that case Mastership means you are capable of taking on a Padawan.

Qui-Gon was a Master, was he not?

Ushgarak
Yes, and?

No-one seriously thinks Obi-Wan was a Jedi Master at the end of TPM, just Anakin's Master.

PVS
obiwan was a padawan when he defeated maul,
and moments later, he is anakin's master.
an instant leap from padawan to jedi master is ludicrous.
so its clear that the term 'master' has multiple meanings
in the jedi order.

i guess since there is no concrete proof in the script,
the technicallities can be endlessly argued, but with the
use of common sense, this issue is dead.

queeq
Seems to me that being a Master is that one can take on a padawan learner. SO yes, OB1 does make the leap from Padawan to Knight to Master in a very short time span.

PVS
very short time span?
try NO time span.
yoda tells obiwan that he may take anakin as his padawan,
while obiwan still has his padawan braid. proof that if you are correct,
obiwan was never a knight. no frikin way dude!!!! give it up!!! stick out tongue

KMCF
Everyone thinks I did not know Obi Wan was a Jedi Knight in AOTC
I know he was a Jedi Master in ROTS so everyone stop telling me the same thing.

Obi Wan Jedi Knight

http://www.thelightsaber.com/HistoryPics/ObiAOTCPic.jpg

Obi Wan Jedi Master

http://www.thelightsaber.com/HistoryPics/ObiAOTC2Pic.jpg

Aduruth

dude no offense but honostly if i were obi-wan and i cut off someones legs and arm, and they caught on fire, id think theyd die in a matter of time, and obi-wan wouldnt finish him, because he a jedi, and would just let anny die.

Captain REX
Which is not the argument.

I'm sure there are Knights that take Padawans as well. yes

Aduruth
definetly agreed. wink

queeq
I still don't get it though. OB1 was about 25 in TPM when he was ranked Jedi Knight (and as far as I'm concerned Master). Anakin was younger, he was about 20-21 when ranked as Jedi-Knight. So time doesn't seem to be an issue.

And PVS: a time span of 30 seconds is still a time span, but a very short one. wink

Ushgarak
Yoda had JUST said that Obi-Wan was given the rank of Knoight in TPM, NOT Master.

The two things are obviously, therefore, distinguishable. Obi-Wan was a Knight with a Padawan- a Master to that Padawan, but not a Jedi Master.

Even if he was a Master by AOTC, something we really have no info about one way or another, that would have happened at some point between the films.

It is really not complex and I do not see the difficulty.

PVS
queeq is just stirring the shit again laughing out loud

he knows obiwan was a knight in ep2 stick out tongue

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by Tulak Hord

I'm cool with it, so long as its not used here as canon.

and im cool with it on its own. (not including the movies)

and it is canon that Obi-wan was a master, not EU in any way, whats not canon is WHEN, WHY, or HOW he became a master, but he is one never the less.

chinabing
Why didn't Anakin have a padawan?

Captain REX
Because Anakin had just recently become a Knight. Usually Knights, if they take a Padawan, wait awhile until the Council says "Hey, you're a great Knight, take this munchkin!"

Yes, it's canon that Obi-Wan is a Master, and that he is on the Council. It's canon that those things happened to him in the past. Just not how.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.