The Greatest Sith Lord? Say What Ehh?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darthrevan89
People claim that Sidious is not the most powerful Sith Lord, but the greatest.eer What bullshit is this? I am confused.

Great Vengeance
They say hes the greatest because of his accomplishments, and its true he is the most accomplished sith lord ever. Some say hes also the most powerful which could definately be true.

Darth_Glentract
not definatly. we do know for sure now, that the sitrh did at one point rule the galaxy. this other sith may have ruled it longer than Sidious did, thus be greater and probably more powerful

Great Vengeance
Originally posted by Darth_Glentract
not definatly. we do know for sure now, that the sitrh did at one point rule the galaxy. this other sith may have ruled it longer than Sidious did, thus be greater and probably more powerful

Possibly, that is for the future should george lucas elaborate on it...

Darth_Glentract
if only. He doesnt seem to care a lot about SW anymore.

Darth Somebody
You needn't be the most powerful being on the damn planet to be the greatest person. Ghandi sure as hell wasn't as powerful as Hitler - but he was greater. Get my drift?

Darth_Glentract
i know, but what I'm saying is that there is a reasonable chance that this other sith ruled the galaxy for longer than Palpatine, making him greater.

Darth Somebody
It is possible. Yet we KNOW - 100 percent - that Sidious DID rule the galaxy. You're going on unknown variables. If you dismiss his greatness on an unknown variable, then I believe no one in the Versus forum or Expanded Universe can be absolutely sure of everything. It has been hinted at, but not stated. It has also been hinted that Sidious possibly faked his defeat at Mace Windu's hands. But people dismiss that possibility.

All I'm saying is - just because something's hinted at - doesn't ALWAYS mean it's true. Though it is possible.

InsaneNoodlyGuy
Originally posted by Darth Somebody
You needn't be the most powerful being on the damn planet to be the greatest person. Ghandi sure as hell wasn't as powerful as Hitler - but he was greater. Get my drift?

Not really. Hitler was a world leader who turned a disenfranchised country into a scary world-conquering force. Ghandi was an idealist leach who managed to start a cultural revolution during a time when the opressors were on a economic slump and couldn't deal with him. I mean, really, hitler did greater more world impacting things.

Now, if you want to talk bout who was a better person, that'd different. But if we used that to define greatness, Anakin Skywalker/Vader was the greatest sith lord of all. And there's a crapload of people here who'd argue that one with you.

SIDEOUS RAWWWKKKKEEEDDDDD!

Darth Somebody
True. Well...not really...I dunno.

Tangible God
Originally posted by InsaneNoodlyGuy
Not really. Hitler was a world leader who turned a disenfranchised country into a scary world-conquering force. Ghandi was an idealist leach who managed to start a cultural revolution during a time when the opressors were on a economic slump and couldn't deal with him. I mean, really, hitler did greater more world impacting things.

Now, if you want to talk bout who was a better person, that'd different. But if we used that to define greatness, Anakin Skywalker/Vader was the greatest sith lord of all. And there's a crapload of people here who'd argue that one with you.

SIDEOUS RAWWWKKKKEEEDDDDD! True. After all, Hitler did great things. Terrible.......yes........but great.

Hey, hey you guys, know where that's from? Huh? C'mon?

Tangible God
Originally posted by Darth_Glentract
i know, but what I'm saying is that there is a reasonable chance that this other sith ruled the galaxy for longer than Palpatine, making him greater. Um, in case I dozed off at one point, and ya know, missed something, can someone tell me, when did Sith rule the entire galaxy other than Palpatine?

Illustrious
Originally posted by Tangible God
Um, in case I dozed off at one point, and ya know, missed something, can someone tell me, when did Sith rule the entire galaxy other than Palpatine?

It's actually from one of the quotes in ROTS where Palpatine says something along the lines of "Once again the Sith shall rule the galaxy."

Once again heavily implies that the Sith have ruled the galaxy at a previous point -- in which case it would likely be a Sith we have not even heard about.

Tangible God
Originally posted by Illustrious
It's actually from one of the quotes in ROTS where Palpatine says something along the lines of "Once again the Sith shall rule the galaxy."

Once again heavily implies that the Sith have ruled the galaxy at a previous point -- in which case it would likely be a Sith we have not even heard about. Maybe, but I'm pretty sure that he was either:

Referring to the Ancient Sith Empire, which he may have believed to be so superior that he felt he could say what he said.

Trying to trick Anakin into believing that the Dark Side was so strong that it once lead to Sith conquering the galaxy.

Had been told the same thing untruthfully in the past by Plagueis.

Or the writers just thought that it was a really cool thing to say at the time.

Illustrious
All of those possibilities are possible, if even likely. I agree with you, the Republic as we know it has been relatively uninterrupted (at least politically) during the same timeframe of the existence of the Sith.

I'm not saying that a Sith had control of the galaxy, I'm just saying that Palpatine heavily implies (through speech) that the Sith has ruled the galaxy before.

Tangible God
Yeah...............Hey what time is it on your end Illustrious?

Darth_Janus
I thought we agreed that "greatest" is a subjective term and not something to try and prove on this forum, especially if used generally and not regarding some specific quality or feat?

Darth Koroni
It is possible. Yet we KNOW - 100 percent - that Sidious DID rule the galaxy. You're going on unknown variables. If you dismiss his greatness on an unknown variable, then I believe no one in the Versus forum or Expanded Universe can be absolutely sure of everything. It has been hinted at, but not stated. It has also been hinted that Sidious possibly faked his defeat at Mace Windu's hands. But people dismiss that possibility.

All I'm saying is - just because something's hinted at - doesn't ALWAYS mean it's true. Though it is possible.

He ruled the Core Worlds through the Mid-Rim, everything beyond that was poorly regulated, that's why the Rebels hid there.

Illustrious
Originally posted by Darth Koroni
He ruled the Core Worlds through the Mid-Rim, everything beyond that was poorly regulated, that's why the Rebels hid there.

To be fair, even the Republic had little to no grasp of the outer rim and beyond, which is why the Seperatist were able to amass their forces. To be able to control the ENTIRE galaxy would require an immense manpower and an incredible amount of resources.

Darth Somebody
I s'pose many of you are right. Palpatine did not control the entire galaxy. Then again, the implications of the Sith ruling the galaxy before Palpatine wasn't specified either. I doubt anyone - Revan or any ancient Sith could control the entire galaxy, in that case. They'd all have rebellions, like Palpatine did.

But Palpatine was the predominate power. The Rebel Alliance never stood a chance against one-on-one confrontations, hence their fear at Return of the Jedi. The Rebel Fleet was no match for the Imperial Starfleet.

I consider it similar to the Revolutionary War more than a Civil War. The Empire represents Britain in this case. America, at the time, were almost always defeated in large battles. The British Army was better trained, better equipped, and more talented. Amercia (or the Rebels) thought smarter. They used their knowledge of the terrain against the British (Empire) and used guerrila warfare tactics. Then, the Rebels received help from another group the Mon-Calimari (French). And even then - they still couldn't defeat the British outright.

So, Palpatine was essentially the ruler of the galaxy. He instituted the government and had the military forces to enforce it. No one in direct confrontation could ever best the Empire.

Darth_Glentract
Then who are the Yuuzhan Vong?

Darth Somebody
Glentract. Use some common sense here. As I've heard, the Yuuzhan Vong supposedly feared the Empire during its time. Now, if even that isn't true, also use the facts.

The Empire at the time of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion were no wear NEAR as powerful as when it was under Palpatine's rule, and you sure as hell know it. It is often described as being a "pale shadow of its former self." Armed with that knowledge, the Empire drove back the Vong on many occasions - except for the little debacle at Bastion.

Darth_Janus
Originally posted by Darth_Janus
I thought we agreed that "greatest" is a subjective term and not something to try and prove on this forum, especially if used generally and not regarding some specific quality or feat?

I saw again...

Great Vengeance
Glentract. Use some common sense here. As I've heard, the Yuuzhan Vong supposedly feared the Empire during its time. Now, if even that isn't true, also use the facts.

The Empire at the time of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion were no wear NEAR as powerful as when it was under Palpatine's rule, and you sure as hell know it. It is often described as being a "pale shadow of its former self." Armed with that knowledge, the Empire drove back the Vong on many occasions - except for the little debacle at Bastion.

Your correct once again, the vong have no chance in a battle with the full strength empire.

Tangible God
Originally posted by Great Vengeance
Your correct once again, the vong have no chance in a battle with the full strength empire. Do you think the Vong could stand up to the Rakata?

Great Vengeance
Originally posted by Tangible God
Do you think the Vong could stand up to the Rakata?

Not sure, we dont know the extent of the rakatas force abilities and if each one of them had like say the strength of an average jedi. If that were true they could beat anyone because 1 billion capable force users would be an unstoppable force.

Darth Hawkeye
So, Palpatine was essentially the ruler of the galaxy. He instituted the government and had the military forces to enforce it. No one in direct confrontation could ever best the Empire.

So yur right it makes sense when we can explain in Present seeming text but lets try Germany Britain is and will hopefully be an allie and french had nothing in helping us its future yes but lest refer tjis to WW2 Germany Japan were dominant Germany more stuff less quanity but more power just change one factor that they produced more and ITS THE EMPIRE WHAT DO YA KNOW

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.