Opeth's Ghost Reveries: August 29th.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Alpha Centauri
Opeth are releasing their 8th full-length studio album, Ghost Reveries, on August 29th 2005. Their last album released was 2003's astoundingly gorgeous masterpiece, Damnation.

The track listing is as follows:

1. Ghost of Perdition
2. The Baying of the Hounds
3. Beneath the Mire
4. Atonement
5. Reverie/Harlequin Forest
6. Hours of Wealth
7. The Grand Conjuration
8. Isolation Years

Mikael Akerfeldt (vocals/guitar) has described the band's playing as more tight than ever before which is quite frightening given that they were one of the tightest technical bands ever. Precise to the max. Mikael said of the process:

"Despite having a wife and child since the release of our last record, this album is more demonic, if anything. I started with the idea of wanting to write an album from the concept of demonic possession but it's turned into something more twisted. I'm not quite sure what it is anymore. We are tighter now as a band too. We were punk slobs before, compared to now."

Personally, I can't wait.

That, and I'm seeing them 10 days after the release of this.

-AC

Ronny
*jawdrop* Oh. my. god. i'm lost for words, more demonic opeth? possible.. we soon shall know >.<

Dr. Strangelove
I listened to The Grand Conjuration on their site and Akerfeldt's growls were darker than anything on Deliverance or anything else for that matter. I can see why he thinks this album is going to be twisted.

August 29 can't come fast enough.

Lana
Awesome.....cannot wait.....

Ronny
Haha, fools! i knew a day like this would come! Thats why i started on my time machine! only a few last finishing touches and you all are owned! evillaugh

cry damn

Alpha Centauri
I'm not listening to any of it till I buy the album.

-AC

RagnaViper
Personally, all my patience classes are failing right now because of this album. I promised myself I wouldn't get the leaked version. That said, I am worried about it. The fact that they are now signed to Roadrunner makes me worry for the well being of them.

I have however spoken to one of my friends who has heard the leaked album, and he loves it. Hopefully it will be the greatness that I expect from these guys.

Dr. Strangelove
Opeth wouldn't water down their music because of signing to a large record company. It would be an extremely stupid when they've created music that pretty much no other band or artist can touch and Opeth are smart guys so that's not happening.

Opeth aren't obsessed with fame and fortune; they're obsessed with making great music.

Alpha Centauri
To add to that, this is their 8th album. They've changed their style (not too much) a good few times through experimenting. I think it's safe to say any change they make is their own.

Mikael cites exposure as a perk of being signed to a major but only because he said he doesn't want their fans having trouble finding the albums anymore, it bothers him.

I don't think they give a shit if they get popular or not, but I seriously doubt that they're gonna do anything to become popular. They're Opeth, by the way.

Also, it's not exactly the most accessible music is it? They can take care of themselves.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
To add to that, this is their 8th album.

Bit random.

They're Opeth, by the way.

Possibly the most random five words in the history of the world.

-AP

Alpha Centauri
You're not human, you're not human.

-AC

Lana
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Bit random.

Possibly the most random five words in the history of the world.

Psssh, you think that's the most random thing ever.....should see how I am......right, AC? laughing out loud

Alpha Centauri
Nope. You just like to talk about squirrels mid-convo.

That's purely insane, not neccessarily random smile.

I think (know) he was just using that as an excuse to make a joke. To me.

-AC

Lana
Whatever stick out tongue

RagnaViper
Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
Opeth wouldn't water down their music because of signing to a large record company. It would be an extremely stupid when they've created music that pretty much no other band or artist can touch and Opeth are smart guys so that's not happening.

Opeth aren't obsessed with fame and fortune; they're obsessed with making great music.

Dude, we're talking about Roadrunner records here. They've been known to influence their artists.

To add to that, this is their 8th album. They've changed their style (not too much) a good few times through experimenting. I think it's safe to say any change they make is their own.

Mikael cites exposure as a perk of being signed to a major but only because he said he doesn't want their fans having trouble finding the albums anymore, it bothers him.

I don't think they give a shit if they get popular or not, but I seriously doubt that they're gonna do anything to become popular. They're Opeth, by the way.

Also, it's not exactly the most accessible music is it? They can take care of themselves.

-AC

As I said above, Roadrunner has been known to influence their artists. I doubt we'll see much of an effect when the album is released, I'm just saying beyond that.

Tptmanno1
I cannot wait. It's gonna be awesome.
Look like punk slobs before this???
My god it better be genius...

Alpha Centauri
You say it better be as if it's owed to you or something.

If you doubt their ability for a second then you clearly haven't listened to their back catalogue. It was also said in the context of their playing, not the music they came up with.

Ragna, to add to what I said above: If you think Opeth are going to be influenced by Roadrunner Records, you don't have an accurate view of the band. They influenced artists before, yeah they have. None of them were of Opeth levels, nowhere near.

-AC

Tptmanno1
ok, What I MEANT to type, is:
My god, its Going to be genius.
and I was quoting Mikael when he said, sound like punk slobs. which obviously they don't, but if he feels that way.
Just clarifying it a bit.
Still can't wait
*runs off to check clock for the umpteenth time today*

Alpha Centauri
I think he meant they were punk slobs in terms of how they played. Not what.

Which is scary.

-AC

Lana
No kidding, I can't wait to hear how this is going to sound if that's what he said they played like before....

Tptmanno1
I knew that... and yes it is.

Victor Von Doom
Although the extra tightness won't necessarily be a good thing. (Though it likely will)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.