Frist Breaks With Bush on Stem-Cell Bill

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bilb
July 29th, 2005 12:55 pm
Frist Breaks With Bush on Stem-Cell Bill

By H. Josef Hebert / Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist on Friday threw his support behind House-passed legislation to expand federal financing for human embryonic stem cell research, breaking with President Bush and religious conservatives in a move that could impact his prospects for seeking the White House in 2008.

"It's not just a matter of faith, it's a matter of science," Frist, R-Tenn., said on the floor of the Senate.

Frist's announcement immediately dented his support among Christian conservatives but won lavish praise from former first lady Nancy Reagan, who said it "has the potential to alleviate so much suffering." Her husband, the late former President Ronald Reagan, had Alzheimer's disease.

At the White House, press secretary Scott McClellan said Frist had given Bush advance notice of his announcement. "The president said, `You've got to vote your conscience,'" McClellan said.

"The president's made his position clear," the spokesman said when asked if Bush stands by his threat to veto a pending bill that would liberalize federal support for stem cell research. "There is a principle involved here from the president's standpoint when it comes to issues of life," McClellan said.

Frist notified Bush, Mrs. Reagan and House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., of his pending announcement in telephone calls late Thursday, according to a Republican congressional source who spoke on condition of anonymity because the calls were confidential.

Bush and Frist appeared together at the White House shortly after Frist's speech as the president signed a bill that allows health care professionals to report information on medical errors without fearing that it will be used against them in lawsuits.

Bush introduced him as "Doctor Bill Frist" and afterward, Bush shook Frist's hand and said something that made the majority leader laugh. As Bush was leaving the room, he summoned Frist to join him.

The Christian Defense Coalition lambasted Frist's change of position.

"Sen. Frist should not expect support and endorsement from the pro-life community if he votes for embryonic research funding," it said.

"Senator Frist cannot have it both ways. He cannot be pro-life and pro-embryonic stem cell funding," said Rev. Patrick J. Mahoney, director of the group. "Nor can he turn around and expect widespread endorsement from the pro-life community if he should decide to run for president in 2008."

A heart-lung transplant surgeon who opposes abortion, Frist said loosening Bush's strict limitations on stem cell research would lead to scientific advances and "bridge the moral and ethical differences" that have made the issue politically charged.

"While human embryonic stem cell research is still at a very early stage, the limitation put into place in 2001 will, over time, slow our ability to bring potential new treatments for certain diseases," the Tennessee lawmaker said in his speech.

"Therefore, I believe the president's policy should be modified. We should expand federal funding ... and current guidelines governing stem cell research, carefully and thoughtfully, staying within ethical bounds," he said.

Bush has threatened to veto legislation for expanded financial support for stem cell research. A bill to finance more stem cell research has passed the House, but has been stalled in the Senate. Frist's support could push it closer to passage and set up a confrontation with Bush.

Frist's announcement will put pressure on the White House, predicted Sen. Arlen Specter (news, bio, voting record), R-Pa., a cancer patient and the bill's sponsor.

"I know that the president will listen to what Sen. Frist has had to say," Specter said. "I'm not saying he is going to agree with it but ... I think may bring us all together on this issue."

House Republicans, however, said they were "profoundly disappointed" in Frist's decision, saying federal funding of human embryonic stem cell research is fiscally irresponsible because it's unproven technology.

"Senator Frist is a good man, he's simply advocating a bad policy," said House Majority Leader Tom DeLay of Texas.

Rep. Phil Gingrey (news, bio, voting record), R-Ga., rejected the praise showered upon Frist for bucking his party and the White House. "I think the courageous speech would have been to continue to stand strongly in defense of the sanctity of life," Gingrey, a physician, told reporters. "We will fight him on this to the very end."

"House conservatives are profoundly disappointed at Senator Frist's decision to abandon this cause," said Rep. Mike Pence (news, bio, voting record), R-Ind.

It also could impact Frist's own political future. A likely presidential candidate in 2008, Frist has been courting religious conservatives who helped make Bush a twice-elected president and generally consider embryonic stem cell research a moral equivalent to abortion. But the announcement, coming just a month after Frist said he did not support expanded financing "at this juncture," could help him with centrist voters.

The announcement came the same week that a group of supporters for the research, StemPAC, launched a television ad in New Hampshire criticizing Frist for not scheduling a vote on the issue. Frist added on Friday that he expected debate and a vote when the Senate returns from vacation in the fall.

With those political realities in mind, Frist argued that his positions on stem cell research and abortion were not inconsistent. He said the decision was about policy, not politics.

Frist's decision brought quick praise from leading Democrats.

"It is a decision that will bring hope to millions of Americans," said Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid of Nevada. "I know there's still a long ways to go with the legislation, but a large step has been taken by the majority leader today ... and I admire the majority leader for doing it."

Said Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (news, bio, voting record), D-Mass.: "As a physician, Sen. Frist has a moral calling to save lives and alleviate suffering. He honors his Hippocratic Oath today by recognizing the unique healing power of embryonic stem cells."

Dagons Blade
Agreed. Too much is on the table to NOT have stem cell research. It's too promising a field and had some hopeful things going for it at the time, including a girlin Israel who started having feelings inher legs and arms again after being a total quadripilegic (sp?) as a result of a severed spinal cord. She might have been able to walk again, who knows?

There's too much at stake to not look forward to gene therapy\gene warfare and embryonic stem cell research. Additionally, the religious set should realize that we're not playing God, we're complimenting Him by using the brains he gave us to try to better mankind. They need to wake up.

xmarksthespot
Stem cell research has a lot of promise. It offers hope to sufferers of Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, spinal cord injury, ALS, and many more disorders.

If Bush vetoes the law purely because of his religious beliefs doesn't that violate the separation of church and state?

It's kind of perplexing to someone on the outside how much influence the church in the U.S. has over federal and state politics, science, medicine, publication... the list goes on.

Dagons Blade
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Stem cell research has a lot of promise. It offers hope to sufferers of Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, spinal cord injury, ALS, and many more disorders.

If Bush vetoes the law purely because of his religious beliefs doesn't that violate the separation of church and state?

It's kind of perplexing to someone on the outside how much influence the church in the U.S. has over federal and state politics, science, medicine, publication... the list goes on.

There again, for all that influence the church has, it's sad that the ACLU always speaks of religious freedom, and then then bitches about the use of the words God and Merry Christmas in public displays, yet sees no problems with the phrases "Happy Kwanzaa" or "Happy Chanukah" in public.

And also, how they protest the use of the Ten Commandments in a court of law in California,yet allow some guy to paint a picture of the US being flushed down the toilet with the words "Tanks for nothing,Mr. Bush" on it.

Oh the irionies, and the hypocrisies...

Darth_Janus
Ah, Bush, thy fans await...

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by Dagons Blade
There again, for all that influence the church has, it's sad that the ACLU always speaks of religious freedom, and then then bitches about the use of the words God and Merry Christmas in public displays, yet sees no problems with the phrases "Happy Kwanzaa" or "Happy Chanukah" in public.

And also, how they protest the use of the Ten Commandments in a court of law in California,yet allow some guy to paint a picture of the US being flushed down the toilet with the words "Tanks for nothing,Mr. Bush" on it.

Oh the irionies, and the hypocrisies...

What's the ACLU?
Really have no problem with Merry Christmas in public or trivial matters like that, but when it comes to things like science, medicine and politics imo it should be about facts not faith.

bilb
American Civil Liberties Union

and yes if Bush vetoes it purely on religiousl beliefs then it is a violation of church and state.. but he'll do it anyway

Dagons Blade
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
What's the ACLU?
Really have no problem with Merry Christmas in public or trivial matters like that, but when it comes to things like science, medicine and politics imo it should be about facts not faith.

Agreed. I was just pointing to the "power of the church" as was mentioned earlier, and how the church has to cower to every special interest group who hates the words "God" or "Merry Christmas" while they allow other religions to have their say to the nth degree. It was a big deal here in America in the last year, since several religious groups were PO'ed at certain stores for having decorations that said "Merry Christmas" and "God Bless." Yet they said nothing of decorations for Kwanzaa or Chanukah. Anyhow just a bit of info about what I was referring to.

Back to the topic: Medical FACT is needed if we are to turn science fiction into science FACT. Medical advances and breakthroughs are far too important to be bogged down in a sea of morality.

whirlysplat
We need stem cell researchsmile

Dagons Blade
Yeah really! Stem cells also come from the umbilical cords of babies as well. What's the big friggin' deal with using the umbilical cord? It gets cut off anyway, right? It's not really hurting anyone or anything.

Embryos might be more problematic, but in that case I don't see why people couldn't agree to donate them in the name of science if they are the ones who have ownership of them. Thru death life occurs sometimes, as seen by organ donations that see many gettting a second chance.

RedAlertv2
Stem cells can also be taken from adults, but the cells will not adapt to whatever part of the body they are put in, making them less usable than embryo stem cells. The adult cells can only be but in the same part of the body of the recipient that they came from in the donor.

bilb
Thru death life occurs sometimes, as seen by organ donations that see many gettting a second chance.

very good point

Fire
have to agree wiv Bilb again

debbiejo
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Stem cells can also be taken from adults, but the cells will not adapt to whatever part of the body they are put in, making them less usable than embryo stem cells. The adult cells can only be but in the same part of the body of the recipient that they came from in the donor.

I would be more comfortable with this idea....I've also heard that um-biblical cord cells can be used in much the same way.

bilb
Originally posted by debbiejo
I would be more comfortable with this idea....I've also heard that um-biblical cord cells can be used in much the same way.

theoretically that is true.. what remains to be seen tho (and what looks really promising) is actual embyonic stem cells which can be used to regenerate (if thats the right word) cells in any part of the body ... some think this will lead to increased abortions simply for the sake of cell harvesting.. i dont see taht as a problem.. what i do see is a HUGE number of embyos frozen in labs all over the place that couples had created for teh purpose of having a child.. Generally when a couple goes thry IVF several embryos are created and only a few are implanted leaving the rest to be kept frozen indefinitely (they have time limits on these but they arent enforced) or destroyed.. THESE are the embyyos I think could help.. they are either going to be kept frozen or destroyed so why not try & help someone with ALS, MS, Parkinsons or other diseases with the cells?

Jackie Malfoy
I am againt Stem cell research It is wrong no matter what it does to help others.JM

bilb
there just isnt a smiley fit enough to reply

Bardock42
Originally posted by bilb
there just isnt a smiley fit enough to reply

I think there is:
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
I am againt Stem cell research It is wrong no matter what it does to help others.JM
cry Oh what happened to you Humankind

BackFire
I find it mind boggling that some people still oppose Stem Cell research.

bilb
cant argue with you there BF, i dont get it either

pr1983
its one of the greatest ever breakthroughs humankind has made...

the possibilities for extending and improving life are endless...

i doubt there is a person alive who would object to it if it was there wife, husband, son, daughter, mother or father...

we in ireland learned the hard way, church and state don't mix... ever...

bilb
shame the US cant learn from its mistakes in the same way

Dagons Blade
It's even more of a shame that the ones who look down upon this most promising of medical advances, are also the same ones who would use this experimental technology to try to save their own asses the day they learn they have come down with a terminal disease.

bilb
It's even more of a shame that the ones who look down upon this most promising of medical advances, are also the same ones who would use this experimental technology to try to save their own asses the day they learn they have come down with a terminal disease.

ahh , hypocrisy.. its the American way!!

Capt_Fantastic
The biggest shame, imo, is that the religiously charged view of a reverend made it into the article. When the press is interested in what they have to say, it's hard to make divisions between church and state.

PVS
the press is only interested in 'sexing up' their articles. god forbid they just report the facts and all statements relevant. but thats what the people demand. dumbed down and dramatised news messed if not, its just not exiting. "where's the passion and bickering? screw this" they'll say as they turn the page erm

Capt_Fantastic
But whats more sad is that the people demand it, because it's what they've been told to demand.

PVS
i think its a matter of a long-term media-induced a.d.d. of the entire population.
REAL and PURE reporting would simply bore everyone and the media would crumble. sad huh?

bilb
indeed

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.