Running MSDOS programs in XP

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

~Sir Mist~
Anyone know how the feck Im supposed to run an MSDOS based program in Windows XP?

What kind of idiots decided to remove MSDOS from XP?

So yeah, I have programs I cant run...any way to emulate them or something?

Ushgarak
You can kinda try running them with all sorts of tweaks and stuff- including setting simulated EMS and XMS levels, and so forth- but i doesn't always work right.

So for a DOS emulator, try DOBbox (google it).

Clovie
in program properities is that thing....
in polish it's called 'zgodność' (sorry) and it has there option to make that program open in acceptance (?) with win NT, DOS or whatever confused

Raz
DOS programs are compatiable with WinXP - as long as it doesn't access hardware direcly e.g. a BIOS updater.

If its a simple program or game, then Start->Run and type in 'cmd' or if you want the original DOS (much slower) type in 'command'

~Sir Mist~
Originally posted by Ushgarak
You can kinda try running them with all sorts of tweaks and stuff- including setting simulated EMS and XMS levels, and so forth- but i doesn't always work right.

So for a DOS emulator, try DOBbox (google it).

Havent tried this yet, but so far it looks like the only option left to do...

Originally posted by Clovie
in program properities is that thing....
in polish it's called 'zgodność' (sorry) and it has there option to make that program open in acceptance (?) with win NT, DOS or whatever confused

I tried this, it still wont open sad

Originally posted by Raz
DOS programs are compatiable with WinXP - as long as it doesn't access hardware direcly e.g. a BIOS updater.

If its a simple program or game, then Start->Run and type in 'cmd' or if you want the original DOS (much slower) type in 'command'

Tried the cmd thing, it still wont run..sad

When I open it normally, it says

"C: \Windows\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application"

BakaXero
http://www.dosgames.com/xphints.php#4
this site might help. part 4 worked out my problems

Archer

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.