Most adrenaline (Hype) invoking riff?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Alpha Centauri
The question is in the title.

Is there a particular riff that you feel is exciting to otherworldly degrees? One that you never actually fail to be affected by when you hear it?

If so, nominate it here. Or discuss. The riffs.

-AC

jaden101
a couple for me would be the opening to welcome to the jungle by guns n roses...

of wolf and man by metallica is another one i love

symphony of destruction by megadeth

old by machinehead

thunder us by the pattern

rooster by alice in chains

there are so many by all those still give that tingling sensation when i hear them

LiveAndLetDie
I really like the riffs in Paradise City by Guns N' Roses. smile

Cinemaddiction
All Shall Perish - "The Spreading Disease"

It's only 10 seconds, but the driving guitars and machine gun double bass make me want to go balistic.

Arch Enemy - "Leader of Rats"

Straight up dominating metal riff with blast beats.

Days of the New - "The Downtown"

It's a beautiful song, and makes me want to weep uncontrolably.

Hatebreed - "A Call For Blood"

Guitars hit right off the bat, and you know they'll never let up. Hatebreed's the most efficiently emotional metal band I've ever heard.

Himsa - "Kiss or Kill"

Normally, I don't like these guys, but their "technicality" in the opening is just sick.

Meshuggah - Catatonic Transfiction"

It's recorded at low pitch, then it ****ing erupts into madness. Nice 10 seconds with which you need to prepare yourself for the onslaught of "math metal's" most technically perfect band ever.

Metallica - "The Shortest Straw"

Lars and Kirk/James matching drums and guitar flawlessly then bashing it out into another old school driving Metallica track. Yummy.

Motorhead - "Ace of Spades"

Too ****ing obvious. If you don't feel like you wanna get in a barfight after this opening, you're not metal.

Oasis - "Roll With It"

It screams The Beatles, and it rolls right into a fantastic Fab Four-ish track.

Queensryche - "Silent Lucidity"

Not so much a riff, but that doesn't matter. It's the most beautiful song by a metal band ever. Has stood, and will stand the test of time forever. Cry every single time I hear it.

Rammstein - "Weisses Fleisch"

The riff after the elctro intro, picture it with fire and explosions and a huge German crushing a mic in his hand. ****ing powerful.

Shadows Fall - "Destroyer of Senses"

Old school Shadows Fall, and it's like electric sex, the opening. Groovin'.

Shadows Fall - "Eternity Is With"

They're my favorite band, so they get two. The opening here, you can feel every slash. Each one on a different chord, then an explosion of 5 with an insane thunder cymbal backing then double bass..cream.

Slayer - "War Zone"

It's Slayer, it's about war, and that's all you need to know.

Soilwork - "Observation Slave"

If Meshuggah ever needed a replacement, these guys are their technical level clones. Crushing Mesh-like riffs in the open.

U2 - "Where the Streets Have No Name"

Soft opening is like being lifted up into heaven by God himself.

Alpha Centauri
Gonna nominate Moonlapse Vertigo by Opeth, the second riff.

Actually seems like the most hype riff of all time.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
the one i'm listening to right now isn't bad: Hocus Pocus by Focus. and DOA by Bloodrock has a haunting guitar riff.

Darth Revan
Rage- Killing in the Name
In Flames- Only For the Weak

RagnaViper
Living Colour - Cult of Personality
A Perfect Circle - Judith

Along with a load of video game rock covers.

tabby999
Killswitch Engage - My Last Serenade

lul infront of the storm kicks in, you know whats coming, you get all excited and then nearly snap your spine headbanging when it kicks in.

Fear Factory - Edgecrusher

when a song has a disclaimer at the start, you know its gonna stomp on your ass. and it does. for 4 minutes.

Stuck Mojo - Give War a Chance (or, for that matter, anything off Declaration Of a Head Hunter)

slammin. straight up, ball tearin, ass kickin, mother f*ckin' music. love it.

there are more but i've got a bad memory for names. damn that pot

koolruningz
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
All Shall Perish - "The Spreading Disease"

It's only 10 seconds, but the driving guitars and machine gun double bass make me want to go balistic.

Arch Enemy - "Leader of Rats"

Straight up dominating metal riff with blast beats.

Days of the New - "The Downtown"

It's a beautiful song, and makes me want to weep uncontrolably.

Hatebreed - "A Call For Blood"

Guitars hit right off the bat, and you know they'll never let up. Hatebreed's the most efficiently emotional metal band I've ever heard.

Himsa - "Kiss or Kill"

Normally, I don't like these guys, but their "technicality" in the opening is just sick.

Meshuggah - Catatonic Transfiction"

It's recorded at low pitch, then it ****ing erupts into madness. Nice 10 seconds with which you need to prepare yourself for the onslaught of "math metal's" most technically perfect band ever.

Metallica - "The Shortest Straw"

Lars and Kirk/James matching drums and guitar flawlessly then bashing it out into another old school driving Metallica track. Yummy.

Motorhead - "Ace of Spades"

Too ****ing obvious. If you don't feel like you wanna get in a barfight after this opening, you're not metal.

Oasis - "Roll With It"

It screams The Beatles, and it rolls right into a fantastic Fab Four-ish track.

Queensryche - "Silent Lucidity"

Not so much a riff, but that doesn't matter. It's the most beautiful song by a metal band ever. Has stood, and will stand the test of time forever. Cry every single time I hear it.

Rammstein - "Weisses Fleisch"

The riff after the elctro intro, picture it with fire and explosions and a huge German crushing a mic in his hand. ****ing powerful.

Shadows Fall - "Destroyer of Senses"

Old school Shadows Fall, and it's like electric sex, the opening. Groovin'.

Shadows Fall - "Eternity Is With"

They're my favorite band, so they get two. The opening here, you can feel every slash. Each one on a different chord, then an explosion of 5 with an insane thunder cymbal backing then double bass..cream.

Slayer - "War Zone"

It's Slayer, it's about war, and that's all you need to know.

Soilwork - "Observation Slave"

If Meshuggah ever needed a replacement, these guys are their technical level clones. Crushing Mesh-like riffs in the open.

U2 - "Where the Streets Have No Name"

Soft opening is like being lifted up into heaven by God himself.

I only know the more mainstream bands on that list but its nice to hear people love music as much as this dude.

Korri
Seek & Destroy.

Victor Von Doom
What's the question?

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
The question is in the title.

Oh. Oh yeah.

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

-AP

Too many to name, first ones that spring to mind are Moonlapse Vertigo, The Moor and Bleak by Opeth; Master of Puppets (several) and Battery by Metallica; more or less any of Tom Morello's; BYOB by SOAD.

Alpha Centauri
That was Victor Von Doom, cocky man from the 00's helping everyone get stressed...in AC's riff thread.

-AC

Cinemaddiction
I got a real K-Billy's Super Sounds of the 70's feel with that last post. laughing

Lana
You two really amuse me laughing

I'd definitely say BYOB, it's one of those (to paraphrase AC) hype-induced window-diving riffs laughing out loud

Victor Von Doom
As long as you're aware of the fact that whenever you paraphrase AP, you para-paraphrase myself. (Unless it's a lame phrase, then it's just paraphrasing him)

Alpha Centauri
Stop calling me AP you inhuman germ.

Is just paraphrasing whoever uses it commonly. Aka Me.

You lame fool sh*t idiot.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
I tend to s.c.i.m over your posts.

Korri
Play Nice Kids!

Alpha Centauri
We know each other, pay no attention (to him).

-AC

Df02
atm

Nine minutes of non-fiction by Neil Perry

The Core
Resurrecting this to include Killswitch Engage's "Life to Lifeless". I was cleaning the house yesterday with my girl, and the track came on, and I grabbed my Guitar Hero controller and rocked the **** out.

I love it.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I love the riff in Ben Harper's Glory & Consequence. You know, the one that goes: "Bwo-bwo-bwowowo, bwo-bwo-bwowowo..." - so very cool.

Also, nearly all of Frusciante's riffs in Stadium Arcadium make me want to do really cool things.

Oh, and let's not forget RATM's Killing In The Name and Sleep Now In The Fire; they're so riffy it hurts. In a good way. Like sex. Sex doesn't hurt, but it's good. That's what I'm referring to. Sex = good, good riffs = good. Something like that.

PS. I wonder if AC and VVD have ever kissed in the real world? I bet they have. Many times.

vintageSW77
Killing in the Name .........many a bruise after jumping around to that
a ****ing exiting track and a top riff

i dont rate em much post 1983 but ill go for
I WILL FOLLOW by U2

or SHOT BY BOTH SIDES by MAGAZINE

Trampled Underfoot by Led ZEP

Sunday by Sonic Youth(theres a few going on but the main riff does it for me)

Atomic by Blondie

Whole lotta Rosie by AC/DC

Teenage Kicks and YOU GOT MY NUMBER by THE UNDERTONES

Holiday in the sun by The Sex Pistols

maybe BIG NEW PRINZ by THE FALL
and definatley as already mentioned HOCUS POCUS by FOCUS
i got into Focus after hearing a bit on the woeful SAXONDALE

definatley not going to get a second series there Mr Coogan

Deathblow
Nietzche by The Dandy Warhols, love that one.

Last two riffs in NIN's Just Like You Imagined. Both sound like the world is ending.

The riff that comes in around seven and a half minutes into Phase I by Porcupine Tree is sublime.

Too many Opeth and Tool riffs to mention.

All time favorite is probably Be Quiet and Drive by Deftones. Completely uplifting.

EPIIIBITES
Beatles - Paperback Writer

Stooges -TV Eye

Velvet Revolver - Slither...accented with that "HEY"...pretty rockin'.

Limp Bizkit - Nookie

Led Zep - Whole Lotta Love...just sick

Alpha Centauri
Voyage 34 by Porcupine Tree has lots of little great parts in it, Deathblow. Well, it's all great, in my opinion, but memorable bits. I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the same bit as you, though.

-AC

Captain Maynard
Right after the little buildup on Lateralus by Tool, also on the same song The part at about 7:20 into the song the bass comes in with this intense riff, and then the whole ending just gets me in the pants, if you know what i mean.

manorastroman
just about all of "daydream nation" - sonic youth
just about all of "paranoid" - black sabbath
just about all of "separation sunday" - the hold steady
just about all of "wonderful rainbow" - lightning bolt
just about all of "let it be" - the replacements

Tptmanno1
Well As much as I hate to be cliche...
Crazy Train always does something to me...
Cowboys from Hell by Pantera as well.

Regarding Moonlapse Vertigo, AC are you talking about he riff at about 54 Sec in? Beacseu the First riff is great, sets the mood and builds it for me, so when that decending line comes in, it just blows me away...

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo

PS. I wonder if AC and VVD have ever kissed in the real world? I bet they have. Many times.

I have- not him though.

Because he kisses you. On the privates.

(Penis and testicles).

Originally posted by Tptmanno1

Regarding Moonlapse Vertigo, AC are you talking about he riff at about 54 Sec in? Beacseu the First riff is great, sets the mood and builds it for me, so when that decending line comes in, it just blows me away...

I happen to know it's at 2:36.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
I have- not him though.

(Penis and testicles).

Damn it! I should have added 'each other'! Now I look like a fool...

(He pays good money for those sexy photos, by the way...)

As for this riff business, I forgot to mention Pride (In The Name Of Love) by U2. That has a great riff.

Also, Just by Radiohead.

Rock on, dudes!

Bardock42
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
I have- not him though.

(Penis and testicles).

Also ass. Hole. Should have said *******. Looks weird now.

I approve of this thread. Enjoyable.

As for the (hype) riff, business. No idea, seems...too undefined.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
First off: Wurd to your mother, Bardock.

Secondly, since when has 'hype' been related to 'adrenaline' riff-speakingly? Whoever made this thread must be a very many stupid retard. Wouldn't you agree, Bardock?

Skeets
AC/DC-back in Black
Black sabbath-Ironman
Ozzy Osbourne-Crazy train.

Bardock42
First off: Wurd to your mother, Bardock.

Secondly, since when has 'hype' been related to 'adrenaline' riff-speakingly? Whoever made this thread must be a very many stupid retard. Wouldn't you agree, Bardock?

Yes, yes, most certainly I would agree, Ya Krunk'd Floo. Maybe not of the particular usage of many. But that's just cos Mrs. Bardock (that's my mommy...you gave some "wurd" to her) sure as hell ain't raised no fool...or so.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Bardock42
Yes, yes, most certainly I would agree, Ya Krunk'd Floo. Maybe not of the particular usage of many. But that's just cos Mrs. Bardock (that's my mommy...you gave some "wurd" to her) sure as hell ain't raised no fool...or so.

Wait a minute...Do you like ghetto people, too? I do. I certainly do.

As for your momma: Ya mom is so fat! How fat is she? Ya mama is so big and fat that she can get busy. It's like that, ya know?

Ice.

Bardock42
Wait a minute...Do you like ghetto people, too? I do. I certainly do.

As for your momma: Ya mom is so fat! How fat is she? Ya mama is so big and fat that she can get busy. It's like that, ya know?

Ice.

You mean negroes? Yes, I like negroes. My grampa always used to say that if it wasn't for the negroes nothing would ever be accomplished on our plantation.

As for my momma...leave her out of it. Or...don't. Either one is fine by me.

Ironic.

Nellinator
This thread make me think of good pre-game songs.

Kashmire - Led Zeppelin
One of the best pre-game songs there is, just can't listen to the full song before the game. 2 to 3 minutes just pumps me up.

Astronomy - Blue Oyster Cult
Have to wait for it, but it pumps me right up.

Fuel - Metallica
I think my teams play this before every game.

Enter Sandman - Metallica
This one too.

Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne
Like most people agree.

Ironman - Black Sabbath
Just one of the best riffs ever.

Suffragette City - David Bowie
Lots of energy in this one.

Smoke On the Water - Deep Purple
Because I'm unoriginal.

Rainbow in the Dark - Dio
Gets me ready to go every time.

Fire - Jimi Hendrix
Lots of energy.

Electric Eye - Judas Priest

Master of Puppets - Metallica

Panama - Van Halen

Ya Krunk'd Floo
You mean negroes? Yes, I like negroes. My grampa always used to say that if it wasn't for the negroes nothing would ever be accomplished on our plantation.

As for my momma...leave her out of it. Or...don't. Either one is fine by me.

Ironic.

Oh, those negroes! Such lovely, helpful people! I always think they'd look so funny in a cage or something. Great dancers, aren't they? Really know how to move.

At your behest, I shall not mention or not mention anything more about your mother. Your mother is sacred, so to mention or not mention about her would be pretty wrong. Although, by mentioning your mother now, I guess I am actually mentioning her. However, who really knows whether I'm mentioning your mother or not? I know I'm confused.

vintageSW77
back to the riffs

anything by played by Poison Ivy of THE CRAMPS

Walk by PANTERA
and at the other end
Good Times by CHIC

Bardock42

Dr. Strangelove
The opening riff from "Shield for your eyes, a Beast in the well on your hand" by Melt Banana makes me want to play electric guitar really, really bad.

Skeets
I'll add "By the way"-RHCP.

Ya Krunk'd Floo

Bardock42
F*ck off! The Smiths suck. They get no love from me, the moanful ol' bastards.

Hmm, I will try the ignore member function now.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Hmm, I will try the ignore member function now.

Why? Are The Smiths members?

Arghahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Bardock42
Why? Are The Smiths members?

Arghahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Aghaghaghahaghaahhahhahaha.

Hmm, so either way. On topic, I find Stories from the Citry, Stories from the Sea to be considerably superiour to Uh Huh Her.

vintageSW77
75% of Pixies tracks get the nod

QOTSA have a few belters

Funkadelic
LoveSexy and I Wish by Stevie Wonder

Kid Kurdy
Do you really think the Pixies have killer riffs ? As much as I like them, I can't say they have a lot of catchy riffs.

A unique, amazing band. But riff wise... no, not really.

Deathblow
Yeah I second that. Bone Machine, Where Is My Mind, Debaser and Dig For Fire are the only Pixies tracks that spring to mind with particularly memorable riffs.

manorastroman
alot of them aren't really unique or memorable, but they sure rock in the moment.

Deathblow
For me, Pixies were all about the big basslines and crazy vocal arrangements rather than the riffs more often than not.

vintageSW77
Originally posted by Deathblow
For me, Pixies were all about the big basslines and crazy vocal arrangements rather than the riffs more often than not.

sure
but there are memorable riffs
they arent repeated all through the tracks but they are there
they aint solos so id call them riffs

maybe we should have a bassline thread

el_barto
Fugazi - Facet Squared

tabby999
Originally posted by vintageSW77
back to the riffs

anything by played by Poison Ivy of THE CRAMPS

Walk by PANTERA
and at the other end
Good Times by CHIC

i forgot and until now no one else had said Walk, which is surprising, its a pants creamingly good riff followed by 5 minutes of brutality.

Slay
The intro to In Flames' 'Embody the Invisible', is like drinking 10 six-packs of Redbull while eating freeze-dryed coffee out of the package for me.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.