How come faith is questioned so much?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stealth Agent
I go to catholic school. They tell us faith is believing without needing evidence, just purely believing. I have been to this church prayer group where the blessed mother(mary for those that aren't catholic educated) makes contacted with this lady and says something each time. The one day I had been extremely questioning myself, the lady made contact and mary said through her to not question and just believe. My cousin and uncle have gone to medjugore(not spelled right) where many god like miracles have happened. Insane things are happening at this place that defy life as we know it. I have read about miracles and proof of god existing, I have viewed tv show documentary's about it, but I don't believe.

Why?

I believe in many super natural things such as Aliens, Spirits, bigfoot, etc,. I have never seen these with my own two eyes but i believe. Hell I would stake my life on it that aliens exist. only because of the things I have read.

What is it that makes a person question there faith so much?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Stealth Agent
I go to catholic school. They tell us faith is believing without needing evidence,

So, how come faith is questioned so much? You say, you believe without needing evidence, that is blind faith. People like you, good people who have no wish to harm others, have done evil acts, because they were controlled by powerful, evil people in the Church. I want you to be happy and have a good life, but alway question the intent of those who control you. If you don't believe me, just look at history.

Bardock42
Just err...Aliens and BigFoot are not Supernatural beings.....they might not exist...but they would be quite natural if they did.....actual Spirits too...I really don't understand why its called supernatural....

debbiejo
I know many NORMAL people that have witnessed paranormal things, even aliens...Now I could doubt these people that I know...but I know they wouldn't lie to me....... blink ......So, just because I haven't witnessed it myself doesn't mean it's not happening.......But I did see one thing myself once also....It scared me.....

Maybe it's called supernatural becaue it's really super De Duper of the natural kind.... big grin

DigiMark007
Questioning faith is good. Challenging it means that we aren't just accepting what is given to us, but we're thinking for ourselves....using our free will and independence. Nearly anyone can find whatever it is they're searching for if they're not happy with their current "faith." They only have to look hard enough, either within themselves, or through further research in the outside world.

For years, when I was a Catholic, I said that I believed what the church believed, but that I made sure that 'I' agreed with everything and didn't just accept it. I always said that if a day came where I found more, or didn't agree with something about the church, I wouldn't blindly accept it. For me, that day eventually came...but you might find something completely different.

But questioning faith can be healthy. A bandwagon approach to faith is one of the most dangerous things about many religions...people don't know what they're really believing in, or why. You're here posting about it though, so I doubt you have this problem.

-DM

Stealth Agent
I think there is something more to faith. It's easier for me to not question other things such as supernatural events, which i firmly beleive in. But have needed no evidence.

It feels as if you challenge your faith, it's wrong. I shouldn't be doing it. I used to feel that way, I no longer do. But people around me teachers, elder parents whatever would make it seem as questioning challengig it doing anything asides beleiving is wrong.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Stealth Agent
But people around me teachers, elder parents whatever would make it seem as questioning challengig it doing anything asides beleiving is wrong.

I understand what you are saying, so, what can you do about it? What I mean is, doesn't that make you feel like they are keeping something from you?

debbiejo
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Questioning faith is good. Challenging it means that we aren't just accepting what is given to us, but we're thinking for ourselves....using our free will and independence. Nearly anyone can find whatever it is they're searching for if they're not happy with their current "faith." They only have to look hard enough, either within themselves, or through further research in the outside world.

For years, when I was a Catholic, I said that I believed what the church believed, but that I made sure that 'I' agreed with everything and didn't just accept it. I always said that if a day came where I found more, or didn't agree with something about the church, I wouldn't blindly accept it. For me, that day eventually came...but you might find something completely different.

But questioning faith can be healthy. A bandwagon approach to faith is one of the most dangerous things about many religions...people don't know what they're really believing in, or why. You're here posting about it though, so I doubt you have this problem.

-DM

I did the same thing, though I was Protestant....I do believe you cannot follow blindly....I've always been the kind to question things...Like my dad always warned me....curiosity kills the cat....So, if your on a quest for truth, you must be prepared for what ever you find.....I've learned the hard way..Don't ask a question unless you really want the answer...

finti
it comes a time when everybody have to question the faith they hold, if you dont question it you aint nothing but a follower of someonelses faith

Storm
It is something which many people do go through in their lives and which every devoutly religious person should be prepared to do. A religion which cannot be questioned or reconsidered is not a religion which merits devotion.

AOR

debbiejo
^ It's not doubt, it called learning, gaining information and knowledge. As they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, that's why churches don't want you to think outside it's beliefs.

If you doubt this go tell your pastor you're reading something outside your faith not bought by the Christian book store, but from the true source. How about the Satanic Bible....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.