Favorite Instrumentals

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RagnaViper
Personally, I love instrumentals. A lot. I'd like to hear what your favorite instrumentals are.

My personal favorites are:
Autumn Leaves - The Present Past
My current personal favorite. Not saying it's the best instrumental ever, but it's pretty damn close.

Porcupine Tree - Wedding Nails (edited a bit)
I really like the guitar and bass work in this song. The edit was done by the same dude that got me into Opeth and it removed that weird guitar part in the middle as well as the ending. Excellently done.

Liquid Tension Experiment - When the Water Breaks
Even though I've never been a huge fan of John's, I really like this one for some reason.

Dream Theater - Instrumedley
Same as above.

Rush - YYZ
It's Rush. What more do ya want?

Tool - Triad
An old favorite of mine. Nothing too fancy, but very cool nevertheless.

Megadeth - Trust
Absolutely brilliant song. The guitars in this song just give it a great edge.

Metallica - Orion
Three words. Burton's finest work.

Sonic Mayhem - Descent into Cerberon
This was from the game Quake II. It's nothing extremely fancy, just some riff-pounding, but it's a very enjoyable song.

Guilty Gear - Holy Orders
I'm always encouraging people to listen to the music from Guilty Gear for the amazing guitar work. This song is arguably the best of it all.

Joe Satriani - Speed of Light
Not so much a head banging song as an air guitar song. I love Satch's work and this has been one of my favorites from him for a while. I love the amount of emotion he puts into his playing.

Cacophony - Speed Metal Symphony
The only reason I ever couldn't enjoy Cacophony was the vocals, but that's what I love about instrumentals sometimes. I love the guitar work, but I couldn't stand the vocals. This song was the answer to my prayers.

Dr. Strangelove
I love all of the instrumentals Trent's done:

NIN- A Warm Place
NIN- The Frial
NIN- Just Like You Imagined
NIN- Pilgrimage
NIN- La Mer

My all time favorite is for absent friends by Opeth. It brings a lot of different emotions out of me as while it's extremely beautiful, it also has a lot of sorrow in it too. It's what loneliness sounds like.

StinkFist462
NIN - A Warm Place, Pinion, Ripee (With Decay)

ps. La Mer isnt instrumental.

SlipknoT
Relentless Beating - Cannibal Corpse

MetallicaT
call of the ktulu - metallica
a warm place - nin

Victor Von Doom
Orion by Metallica; YYZ and La Villa Strangiato by Rush; Lift Your Skinny Fists album by GYBE; Peaches en Regalia by Zappa.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by StinkFist462
NIN - A Warm Place, Pinion, Ripee (With Decay)

ps. La Mer isnt instrumental.

Neither is A Warm Place, if we're being picky.

-AC

StinkFist462
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Neither is A Warm Place, if we're being picky.

-AC

true, but it sounds more like people just talking in the background that made it into the recording than actual lyrics.

Alpha Centauri
They are actually lyrics.

-AC

StinkFist462
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
They are actually lyrics.

-AC

seriously? whoa. i though it was just random talk in the studio that made it on the actual recording. how come there are no lyrics in the booklet?

Alpha Centauri
They were supposed to be hidden I believe. The do fit though, it's weird.

-AC

StinkFist462
what are they?

Alpha Centauri
I think, something along the lines of:

"The best thing is knowing you can put it back together."

Or something like that.

-AC

StinkFist462
the best thing about life is knowing you put it together

http://www.wellnowwhat.net/nin/awp.html

interesting.

Ronny
Tool - Triad
Pretty much every NIN ( and yes A warm place has lyrics, i thought it was random talk too but i listened closer)
Dream Theatre - Stream Of Consciousness (my absolute favorite)

RagnaViper
Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
I love all of the instrumentals Trent's done:

NIN- A Warm Place
NIN- The Frial
NIN- Just Like You Imagined
NIN- Pilgrimage
NIN- La Mer

My all time favorite is for absent friends by Opeth. It brings a lot of different emotions out of me as while it's extremely beautiful, it also has a lot of sorrow in it too. It's what loneliness sounds like.

Good call on Absent Friends. I forgot that one for some reason...

hsg1437
"the best thing about life is knowing that you put it together."

theres a that in there. listen closely.

i've listened to this song literally over thirty- thousand time through the last twelve years.

hsg1437
"the best thing about life is knowing that you put it together."

theres a that in there. listen closely.

i've listened to this song literally over thirty- thousand time through the last twelve years.

i found something online once, about a year and a half ago. it was another artist. dont remember who and have been unsuccessful in trying to find it again. he said in his lyrics/poetry...

"and the best thing about life is knowing that you put it together, and take it apart again."

it was something along the lines of seeing how things work. it gave the audience the feeling that they create themselves in a playful and innocent self discovering nature.

i may be off a word, but thats very close to the original. i dont know if trent got his words from there or vice versa. or whatever.

i meditated once for hours, listening to A Warm Place on repeat as i often did. i had a vision. the meditation was after an extreme bout of exercise. i had fasted, and biked 157 miles in one seesion. no sleep or rest. through the meditation, i became instantly lucid (lucid dreaming came natural to me for a number of years. but the excessive exercise facillitated the process greatly.) in a vision, listening to this song, i saw myself staring out a little distance into a field. maybe about 30 feet into it. i was witnessing something. i then saw myself at the same time as a spirit, and i became self aware in two places at once. i realized that i had energy and could choose any form i desired to manifest myself as. i chose a flower. i expressed my spirit by wiggling my way through the dirt, using anything i had around me to construct myself into a form of expression. this whole time i'm still seeing it happen from my original spot in the distance. i was well aware of both places at once and realized i was infinite. i became fully cogniscient of the fact that all that held me back in the past from expressing myself in any form or experiencing anything was a fear of effort. having broken through some kind of threshold from the previous day's excursion, i was no longer afraid to try. infinitely so. i was willing to give simply because i could. because it was humble fun just to be able to give. celebrating the fact i was alive by giving all i could. i saw then that when you give all you can, you can do anything.

and i bloomed.

in the vision, i expressed myself, and i remember it quite vividly, as a yellow flower with a blue center. reflecting back, i see the yellow petals representing the dreams we create to play in, and the blue center as our conscious vehicle, the witness, the dreamer. always, we must retain our willingness to try in our dreams. our effort is the only thing that can remind us that we're free. if we forget, or give up...we are forced to make that journey all over again and again....just to find that it was ours all along.

once you know that your effort can bring you any place you want to go, you are free to believe in yourself. in so doing, you create your own identity. you remember how to be that flower that eternally blooms. all you have to do is believe. thats the greatest effort of all...
to believe.

be. leave.

leaves...be your dreams. you are the blooming dreamer of your dreams, once you learn to believe.

papabeard
Pretty much any song by Mogwai,

I also like Godspeed you Black Emperor and Explosions in the Sky most of there tracks are ace instrumentals.

Memphis Soul Stew is another favourite although it does have speaking over the music

Darth Jello
ragnaviper, you should get Black Flag's process of weeding out and Family Man

Deathblow
Kitten Moon by Fluke. Definitely one of my favorite songs of all time, and not just amongst instrumentals.

TheStormrider
o.0

Someone else on this board knows about Autumn Leaves? Well, there I go. I was going to plug the hell out of these guys, but I guess not.

The Present Past for the win!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.