Star Trek versus Star Wars: The Debate is Opened

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Twilight Janick
Widebeam phasers can kill Jedi, since lightsabers can't deflect a widebeam phaser, because they're not wide enough to entirely deflect it. Also, the Death Star superlaser's range is 80,000 km and other SW weapons are not ranged more than 120 km. If you use ST Starfleet Command's scales, the superlaser is equal to 8 and the other weapons is what the game considers point-blank range.

Deano
the debate is closed

botankus
Yughhhh.......I vote Spaceballs.

PVS
what a fanboy virgin geek cliche roll eyes (sarcastic)

i pray its just a little forum humor and not serious

Lord Melkor
I choose Power Rangers! Or Smurfs, if they qualify!

Bardock42
Spaceballs is in the Top three......that much seems clear to me......

We have a thread like this already though......maybe even more than one.......I am in no mood to search for it though.......nor do I remeber what forum it was ....so someone request to close this forum...and we'll never talk aboot it again......

alcoholicpoet
Herculoids all the way.

whirlysplat
Ah Groupthink smile

Twilight Janick
Sorry, I wasn't in the mood for it either!

whirlysplat
Originally posted by Twilight Janick
Sorry, I wasn't in the mood for it either!

This is interestingsmile

Deano
so interesting im going to smile

alcoholicpoet
Originally posted by whirlysplat
This is interestingsmile

Studying nerd phsycology huh?

whirlysplat
Originally posted by alcoholicpoet
Studying nerd phsycology huh?

Yes I am big grin but only today smile call it a hobby wink

((The_Anomaly))
this is a stupid comparision honestly...

I love both of them, but SW and ST are completly different.

SW is a fantasy story, an "oprea" in space if you will.

ST is a show about what might (and could be) possible in (and around) earth and humans in the next 400 years.

completly different, uncomparable.

Fire
Star Trek possible in the next 400 years LOL
Warp 9 my ass

Fire
Sorry that might have sounded a bit harsh, I just thought it was hilarious

Twilight Janick
Warp 9 is almost as fast as Solo's hyperdrive can be.

PVS
Warp 9 is almost as fast as Solo's hyperdrive can be.

please tell me you're just kidding about all this.

please, if you dont want anyone else to know, then just PM me to say "i'm only kidding" and i wont tell a soul.

i'm begging you.

or else ill never sleep tonight messed

Fire
Heck I have no idea how fast Warp 9 really is, only that they talk about lightyears like it is peanuts.

Can someone tell me how fast it is in miles or kms?

Kuntz
The next step is a discussion on "Turbo" Lasers laughing

bilb
are we REALLY doing this AGAIN? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Fire
No we don't have to I just need a trekkie to tell me how fast warp 9 is

The Omega
Fire>

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/12/1213_021213_tvstartrek.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warp_drive

Warp-speed is not completely out of this world scifi nonsense. It basically involves pressing spacetime in front of a vessel and streching it out behind it, so the ship doesn't move faster than light relative to this warp-bubble, but the bubble itself exceeds light-speed. To do this, though, we need matter with some rather peculiar properties.

bilb
messed

Lana
Well, they do call it science-fiction because it is partially based in science stick out tongue

Is there really a need for this debate?

I don't like Star Trek for the simple reason that it never caught my interest. I don't know why, but I could never get into it.

And I think Lord Melkor wins for best comment in this thread laughing out loud Go Power Rangers!!!

*feels like a 7 year old again*

Tptmanno1
hehe

Fire
Thx TO, still think it won't be for the next 400 years, let's travel the solar system in under a minute the idea is absurd

Lord Melkor
Originally posted by Lana
Well, they do call it science-fiction because it is partially based in science stick out tongue

And I think Lord Melkor wins for best comment in this thread laughing out loud Go Power Rangers!!!

*feels like a 7 year old again*

Oh, but the villain costumes in Power Rangers are insult to my good taste.

Lana
Originally posted by Lord Melkor
Oh, but the villain costumes in Power Rangers are insult to my good taste.

Meh, they always had crappy villians.....but hey, as a 7 year old (which is how old I was when it started in the US) you don't care much about those kinda details wink

The Omega

Lord Melkor
Originally posted by Lana
Meh, they always had crappy villians.....but hey, as a 7 year old (which is how old I was when it started in the US) you don't care much about those kinda details wink

But as I watch cartoons with my 4 years old nephew, I can see the diffrence between good and bad cartoons.

Like new Scooby Doo and Transformers versus old ones..... No context. And your sig makes me feel dirty. I want my girlfriend sad

Ushgarak
Widebeam phasers can kill Jedi, since lightsabers can't deflect a widebeam phaser, because they're not wide enough to entirely deflect it. Also, the Death Star superlaser's range is 80,000 km and other SW weapons are not ranged more than 120 km. If you use ST Starfleet Command's scales, the superlaser is equal to 8 and the other weapons is what the game considers point-blank range.

Hah! I like the 'if you use the Starfleet Command scale' comment. So, if you use the insanely proportioned board game, which has ships firing at hundreds of thousands of km away, and not the tv series which... doesn't... then yes, it does that!

And likewise, if I use my totally made up Ush SW board game rules, which I just made using two pieces of cardboard and Sticky back plastic, then SW weapons can fire between GALAXIES! Yeah, man, that, like, totally rocks! And Darth Ush is more powerful than Vader and Yoda and Superman combined!

Lord Melkor
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Hah! I like the 'if you use the Starfleet Command scale' comment. So, if you use the insanely proportioned board game, which ha ships firing at hundreds of thousands of km away, and not the tv series which... doesn't... then yes, it does that!

And likewise, if I use my totally made up Ush SW board game rules, which I just made using two pieces of cardboard and Sticky back plastic, then SW weapons can fire between GALAXIES! Yeah, man, that, like, totally rocks! And Darth Ush is more powerful than Vader and Yoda and Superman combined!

Yes, be our Dark(Darth) God and lead us to the galactic conquest! I would follow!

Fire
laughing out loud HILARIOUS USH laughing laughing laughing out loud

Lana
Oh my god....laughing okay, I take it back, THAT wins for best comment in this thread!

Kuntz
Originally posted by The Omega
Fire>

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/12/1213_021213_tvstartrek.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warp_drive

Warp-speed is not completely out of this world scifi nonsense. It basically involves pressing spacetime in front of a vessel and streching it out behind it, so the ship doesn't move faster than light relative to this warp-bubble, but the bubble itself exceeds light-speed. To do this, though, we need matter with some rather peculiar properties.

Yes and a great deal of energy a Prof at Swansea has done some calculations on thissmile

Sadako of Girth
ROFL Ush.....!! That reminds me....

I think the view that Star Trek is always more factually based than Star Wars is flawed...
Sure. It recognises earth-science theories more blatantly, but
Star Trek has also broken its own rules for shaped storytelling....

Like this for example: In Voyager (Centuries of technical evolution later than the first 6 movies) the crew take HOW LONG to get from one side of the galaxy to the other??

Wasn't it a projected 70-odd years at max warp?

Yet in 'ST:The final frontier' The Enterprise just breezes to the center of the galaxy in like a day...?!? Two days....?!??

I recognise that there are at least attempts by Star Trek to explain the physics of what occurrs but they aren't totally impervious to flaws...

Besides... The Falcon is...........cooler. tongue

So given that it is all sci-fi fantasy to a degree, just watch what you enjoy... I love both....

Shakyamunison
Q would cream Darth Vader. laughing

Sadako of Girth
LOL True that...!!!

bilb
Yeah, man, that, like, totally rocks! And Darth Ush is more powerful than Vader and Yoda and Superman combined!

aaaahahhahahahahahahhaa!!! laughing laughing laughing

yes

Kuntz
Q would cream the force

bilb
Q is very cool, but the force is still the ultimate!!

Sadako of Girth
Yeah... The force, needing to bring balance itself, would somehow make Q forget he existed and since Q seems to be able to manipulate reality, that would make it so... Or somethin'..... stick out tongue

Or maybe it'd decree that his existance in that universe would be that of a 'harmless' Gungan.... And then he might bring about his own demise through pure clumsiness...

Kuntz
Always wondered what the **** a turbo laser is

WindDancer
Batman pwns Star Trek and Star Wars. batman

Sadako of Girth
Coming next week: "SW Rancor and ST Q Vs. Bruce Lee"
(And how Bruce can use his abilty to punish inanimate boards to defeat
a living god and a 30ft carnivorous cave creature....

...and how Jeet Kun Do can bring down both a man who controls physical reality, and a man-eating snarling piece of flesh that had previously torn apart everything it has ever faced....) stick out tongue

Kuntz
Bruce Lee lol

shaber
I'm going to use that illegal phaser again.

Tptmanno1
Don't argue with Darth Ush.
He has EVILNESS coming out of every pore!
The Osokans will get you!!!!
Run for your lives, or he'll nearly make you shit your pants, then make you look really stupid for nearly shitting yourself.....

(either that or he'll have an army of Alien's from the movie "Alien" come and spit acid over your ass...)

(Fecking Kuylen....)

Lana
laughing niiice.......

Tptmanno1
Or chase absolutly nothing for years on end......

BackFire
Star Trek is shittier then my toilet after a Taco Bell run.

~Sir Mist~

It's really, really important you pay attention here.

Go outside. Thats right, dont be scared. Now see that big bright thing that hurts when you look at it? Thats the sun. The sun is your friend. Now go find other friends and play in the sunlight together.

Sadako of Girth
ROFLMAO...!!!! laughing

bilb
Originally posted by ~Sir Mist~
It's really, really important you pay attention here.

Go outside. Thats right, dont be scared. Now see that big bright thing that hurts when you look at it? Thats the sun. The sun is your friend. Now go find other friends and play in the sunlight together.

NO!! You cant make me!!

schmoll

Bicnarok
I prefer star wars, because its one continious story.

star treck seems to repeat itself. The lone space ship finds planet with aliens, which by some odd miracle look amazingly like humans but with a blob of plastasine stuck somewhere to denote thier "alienness". They over intelligent Ships crew solve some problem that these aliens have.

DS9 was good though it moved forward and had new ideas.

My personal favourite in the "TV Space series" was Babylon 5 though, brilliant.

Ushgarak
Actually, did you know that more recent scientific thought is moving in the direction that there is a good possibility that most laien life forms would be more or less humanoid? Apparently the mathematics of evolution and what constitutes a viable biosphere will apply roughly equal throughout the cosmos.

That might turn out to be erroneous but as it is the idea that it is wrong to have aliens as humanoid is dying out. I remember one scientist being interviewed saying that the myth is that you have to be imgainative about how aliens look, whereas in fact the lack of imagaination about the way the cosmos works is to have them look very different.

PVS
your puny turbo lasers and phasers are no match for the awesome power of the quad-laser

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/PVS/mooninites.jpg

Bicnarok
Actually, did you know that more recent scientific thought is moving in the direction that there is a good possibility that most laien life forms would be more or less humanoid? Apparently the mathematics of evolution and what constitutes a viable biosphere will apply roughly equal throughout the cosmos.

That might turn out to be erroneous but as it is the idea that it is wrong to have aliens as humanoid is dying out. I remember one scientist being interviewed saying that the myth is that you have to be imgainative about how aliens look, whereas in fact the lack of imagaination about the way the cosmos works is to have them look very different.

Past and recent scientific thought is guesswork, no one has ever seen an alien (apart from jacko fans) so any equation, mathematics of evolution (which is after all just a theory anyway) is pointless without the data to input. If you consider the diversity of life on this planet its more probable that alien life could also be diverse, even non carbon based.

I hope we find out sometime, preferably in my life time.

Jackie Malfoy
Star wars rules!jm

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Past and recent scientific thought is guesswork, no one has ever seen an alien (apart from jacko fans) so any equation, mathematics of evolution (which is after all just a theory anyway) is pointless without the data to input. If you consider the diversity of life on this planet its more probable that alien life could also be diverse, even non carbon based.

Point remains you have no rational basis to criticise a series for having humanoid aliens. It's scientifically viable.

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Bicnarok

Star Trek addresses this and all humanoid life in the Galaxy was engineered and seeded in the past by a super race.

-Kuntzsmile

Twilight Janick
Originally posted by Fire
Heck I have no idea how fast Warp 9 really is, only that they talk about lightyears like it is peanuts.

Can someone tell me how fast it is in miles or kms?

I'm ready to tell that Warp 9 is about 5 billion kilometers per second. If Solo's hyperdrive is 50% faster than normal hyperdrive is, then normal hyperdrive is about 3,3 billion kilometers per second.

Quad lasers are a variant of turbolasers, but even then, even a quad laser can only fragment fighters, while phasers can vaporize asteroids or ships!

Ushgarak
Solo has flown across the Galaxy. That takes a Star Trek ship decades. Star Wars ships are faster.

NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD! (points at self)

Whirlysplatt
Star Trek Speeds

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/Propulsion/Propulsion1.html

this just about sums up the whole debate big grin

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Essays/FiveMinutes.html

WindDancer
Of Course Star Wars is going to have the most effective and destructive weapons than the Star Trek universe. Star Wars is more hostile and more violent. Whereas Star Trek is more diplomatic and far more intellectual than any Jedi council combine.

*hides* ninja

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by WindDancer
Of Course Star Wars is going to have the most effective and destructive weapons than the Star Trek universe. Star Wars is more hostile and more violent. Whereas Star Trek is more diplomatic and far more intellectual than any Jedi council combine.

*hides* ninja

Don't hide WD its true smile

WindDancer
Originally posted by Whirlysplatt
Don't hide WD its true smile

You're right...I won't hide.

*runs back to the batcave* batman

Ushgarak
Star Wars is just on a crazy-ass scale, that's the point.

jaden101
startrek has given us the borg, Q, the remans, phasers, transporters, cool little badge communicators, the dysons sphere, the crystaline entity, the weird black stuff that killed tasha yar, holodecks, data dressed up as sherlock holmes, evil god like creatures that can destroy entire species with a single thought, spock, a recognised language (klingon), and tons and tons of other stuff

starwars gave us lightsabres..the jedi and the sith....

starwars still wins

Whirlysplatt
Star Wars is just on a crazy-ass scale, that's the point.

The speed thing makes scale in Star wars non existant across its whole galaxy. The Star Wars Galaxy holds few suprises for its inhabitants as it is more of a community. As shown by the Jedi Map room. Star Trek has encounters with the new and Q, Dowds etc are on a crazy arse scale, even the force does not match. big grin

Agreed Star Wars still wins if we exclude Q, Dowds etc

Ushgarak
But it is all part of the scale. Ships can go across the Galaxy in hours. There are millions of worlds in the Republic, the armies are in countless trillions, the Republic itself dates back a thousand generations (some 25000 years), the Death Star can destroy planets with a single blast...

It is all on an insane, Saturday-morning cinema scale. Trek is trying to ground itself in reality. They are totally different philosophies.

Whirlysplatt
But it is all part of the scale. Ships can go across the Galaxy in hours. There are millions of worlds in the Republic, the armies are in countless trillions, the Republic itself dates back a thousand generations (some 25000 years), the Death Star can destroy planets with a single blast...

It is all on an insane, Saturday-morning cinema scale. Trek is trying to ground itself in reality. They are totally different philosophies.

Star Wars is on this scale but its generally all the same or similar. Where as things like the Borg are far more alien concepts than the basic good v evil of the Star wars universe. Its a simple plot given epic grandeur by scale of numbers (interesting concept like the CGI battles almost every one peripheral is the same) Clone trooper, Storm troopers, rebels etc faceless replicants of each other and two dimensional heroes in the middle of it all. Star Wars is bigger only in numbers.

As for Star Trek grounding itself in reality, upgrade of the week kinda puts paid to that. When they turned the Enterprise and everything after it into a kind of space swiss army knife. Able to solve any situation through rerouting the bullshit capacitor through the main deflector. I think it got silly as silly can be.

Ushgarak
But the base of Star Trek is still grounded in reality, the fact that Roddenberry's original idea got trampled to death by increasingly desperate writers over so many episodes is neither here nor there. Star Trek has this lingering legacy of being more 'realistic' whilst Star Wars doesn't give a damn, never did. All the insane treknobabble in the world doesn't stop it being something that attempts to genuinely show what life in the future might be like- a near-Earth based setting- whilst the first thing Wars did was make sure it was nowhere near anything that could ever happen by giving it a fairy tale setting, long ago and far away.

I don't see what Star Wars being 'all the same' has to do with any of it, really. That again is just down to the philosophy of what each series is about.

Thw two are totally different so any comparison is facile. Trek against Babylon 5 makes more sense because they are conceptually similar. Despite being sci-fi, Star Wars isn't really conceptually similar to such series at all.

§pearhead
Originally posted by Whirlysplatt
Star Trek Speeds

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/Propulsion/Propulsion1.html

this just about sums up the whole debate big grin

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Essays/FiveMinutes.html

ah, you beat me to that site.

Any Trekkie who things that they stand a chance really should read those links...they shine perspective on everything.

My personal favorite in that site is when the guy proves Slave I can take out the enterprise...

Whirlysplatt
Star Trek and reality is a bit false, It was attempting initially to have moral messages e.g. The Cage its first pilot, the Sci Fi was secondary. In this, as in much of its early imagery and ideas it borrowed from Forbidden Planet. That aside it did some notable things e.g. The first multi racial kiss on T.V. the realness of Star Trek myth is something Trekkie's propagate, it simply isn't true, the design of the ships etc, voyager, defiant, and Enterprises Enterprise are the only ones where the Warp Nacelles would not be torn off as soon as they were switched on. Did you ever see the programme "The Science of Star Trek", you could laugh all the way through it. smileOriginally posted by Ushgarak
But the base of Star Trek is still grounded in reality, the fact that Roddenberry's original idea got trampled to death by increasingly desperate writers over so many episodes is neither here nor there. Star Trek has this lingering legacy of being more 'realistic' whilst Star Wars doesn't give a damn, never did. All the insane treknobabble in the world doesn't stop it being something that attempts to genuinely show what life in the future might be like- a near-Earth based setting- whilst the first thing Wars did was make sure it was nowhere near anything that could ever happen by giving it a fairy tale setting, long ago and far away.

I don't see what Star Wars being 'all the same' has to do with any of it, really. That again is just down to the philosophy of what each series is about.

Thw two are totally different so any comparison is facile. Trek against Babylon 5 makes more sense because they are conceptually similar. Despite being sci-fi, Star Wars isn't really conceptually similar to such series at all.

Whirlysplatt

Ushgarak
Oh, I know full well that the vaunted realism of Trek is a fake. But even the fake attempt to make it be like that is all part of the basic philosophy behind the series that I talk of.

As opposed to Star Wars which never even tried, and where they chaeerfully call all the nonsense in it "Star Wars science"- as in, it doesn't matter.

Whirlysplatt
Oh, I know full well that the vaunted realism of Trek is a fake. But even the fake attempt to make it be like that is all part of the basic philosophy behind the series that I talk of.

As opposed to Star Wars which never even tried, and where they chaeerfully call all the nonsense in it "Star Wars science"- as in, it doesn't matter.

I agree with this, although I don't think the original made these claims, it only seemed to me NG and on tried to claim realism. I mean look at engineering in the original laughing out loud

Ushgarak
Oh, well, Roddenberry was keewn on realism. Rumour has it he only added sound in space under pressure.

He always felt betrayed by his writers. He actually tried to disown Star Trek II. And that was a good film as well; just goes to show...

Whirlysplatt
Oh, well, Roddenberry was keewn on realism. Rumour has it he only added sound in space under pressure.

He always felt betrayed by his writers. He actually tried to disown Star Trek II. And that was a good film as well; just goes to show...

Very true apart from First Contact, i think it was the best film. Roddenberry was full of good ideas but unfortunately he had did a great deal of good especially for human rights, and in raising the profile and reasons for space exploration at the time of the cold war when a great deal of people thought it was only about beating the Russians. As a futurist he also had some good ideas. Did you know he was a war hero?

bilb
Originally posted by jaden101
startrek has given us the borg, Q, the remans, phasers, transporters, cool little badge communicators, the dysons sphere, the crystaline entity, the weird black stuff that killed tasha yar, holodecks, data dressed up as sherlock holmes, evil god like creatures that can destroy entire species with a single thought, spock, a recognised language (klingon), and tons and tons of other stuff

starwars gave us lightsabres..the jedi and the sith....

starwars still wins

yes

~Sir Mist~
Originally posted by bilb
yes

(pretend Im replying to jaden coz I cant find his quote) stick out tongue

Out of all that stuff....I only understood lightsabers, jedi and sith...

"crystaline entity" "dysons sphere" - What the f**k?

"data dressed up as sherlock holmes" - I can sleep at night knowing Obi Wan will never dress like this...

bilb
laughing laughing laughing

Echuu
Star Trek verses Star Wars? I vote Star Wars but you have to keep in mind that this is a matter of taste so there's no real winner......unless we are talking in militaristic standards.
In that case I would say put Obi-Wan and Anakin or Palps and Vader on ANY Trekkie ship and see what happens.
Even a borg cube. Love to see them adapt to a lightsaber hacking their limbs off.

Or you could just have the Imperial fleet destroy everything...

Oswald Kenobi
Star Wars has made more money. Star Wars wins.

Lord Yoda
Your freaken insane if you think star trek is better. End of discussion.

Bicnarok

Trek is trying to ground itself in reality. philosophies.

I think you hit the nail on the head with that statement.

Star treck is trying to be what the writers think the future will look like. Star wars is SCI FI at its best, huge variety of aliens, weapons, characters with different backgrounds, ships, planets and the "chosen one" thing,

jaden101
laughing laughing out loud laughing ...classic

Twilight Janick
I know that there's some more neutral sources, from where I said that Warp 9.2 was equal to Solo's hpyerdrive. Attack of the Clones just contradicted the ''cross the galaxy within hours'' because Amidala's yacht got from Tatooine to Geonosis (3,26 light-years) in 15 hours. Star Wars galaxy is about 12,000 light-years diameter, with normal hyperdrives, it would take a year and a bit, according to this site: http://st-v-sw.net. which is definitively more neutral than stardestroyer.net. Because it says the phaser-1s and 2s can destroy AT-STs single-handedly.

BlackC@t
I find Star Wars a million times better.

~Sir Mist~
I know that there's some more neutral sources, from where I said that Warp 9.2 was equal to Solo's hpyerdrive. Attack of the Clones just contradicted the ''cross the galaxy within hours'' because Amidala's yacht got from Tatooine to Geonosis (3,26 light-years) in 15 hours. Star Wars galaxy is about 12,000 light-years diameter, with normal hyperdrives, it would take a year and a bit, according to this site: http://st-v-sw.net. which is definitively more neutral than stardestroyer.net. Because it says the phaser-1s and 2s can destroy AT-STs single-handedly.

Wow...

Some people out there are nerds.

amity75
Star Trek was ruined for me by having an episode devoted to small round cute hairy creatures. Star Wars has never had anything like that to blacken its record. Shit, Wait a minute....

Red Superfly
The best moments of Star Wars are when Luke Skywalker and Vader clash. Skywalker is constantly on the defensive as Vader, the man who killed his father, toys with him. After a gruelling and emotional battle, Luke angers Vader and Vader takes off Lukes hand. Vader then reveals, in possibly the most FAMOUS LINE OF ALL CINEMA HISTORY that he is his father. The shock is dramatic and tragic, and Luke faces a decision to either join his father, or fall to his doom. He gives up all hope and falls. It's the best scene ever made.

The best episodes of Star Trek are when one of the crew catches a cold.

Enough said.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by amity75
Star Trek was ruined for me by having an episode devoted to small round cute hairy creatures. Star Wars has never had anything like that to blacken its record. Shit, Wait a minute....

As much as I love Star Trek, I'll always have loved SW that bit more...
But I'll take Tribbles over Ewoks any old day of the week....

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by amity75

:homer: thats the ironic thing about ironylaughing out loud

Stunrun

a memory wipe would be the best solution if you wanna get laid

ok, plz dont take that personally! laughing

Imperial_Samura
I guess it is also about design, thematically, generically etc. Star Wars is a movie series. A movie has to appeal to everyone, thus alot is compressed into a couple of hours, so there is variety and a great deal of emotion, action etc all in a very potent, intense short period. That's Star Wars, although it ended up at 6 movies, they are still moves with the pros and cons of all things film.

On the over hand a TV series handles differently. They can be alot more complex, and they have to be more drawn out, and generally every episode is tied together. This naturally leads to quieter moments, action filled moments, plot developing moments and so on.

So what do I think? Star Wars is possibly the best Sci Fi out there (or up there with the best) in terms of film. But I seriously doubt it would make a good TV series, and to be honest the books are pretty bad, because it has the features that make great cinema, but lacks that which would make it consistently good television.

Star Trek is some of the best Sci Fi in terms of TV (yes it had movies, but they were still in the TV series universe and translated reasonably well.) However it couldn't really be translated well into a stand alone movie. To really appreciate it one has to had the years of Television viewing (I remember seeing First Contact in the cinema, and seeing alot of people with no "Trek history" failing to enjoy it because they didn't know of the subplots and ties to the series, especially Picard's character in relation to the Borg.) Oh, ands it's pretty down with the whole hard Sci Fi thing, where as Star Wars really lives up to it whole "Fantasy Fiction in a sci fi setting.

So really they are two very different things. In the end I quite like both (though most of the SW prequels were trash, as was ST Enterprise series.) In fact I possibly say for me Star Wars, but only just. And in the spirit of mad proclamations and claims, I think the Borg could take the Star Wars universe after a long, hard fight (at the time of the 4th movie anyway). Heheh...

Oh, and Star Trek has never really had anything as hideously bad as Gungans and Kid Anikan "Are you an Angel?" Skywalker, so that's some points there.

bilb
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
As much as I love Star Trek, I'll always have loved SW that bit more...
But I'll take Tribbles over Ewoks any old day of the week....

Srtar Wars is the ultimate for me, but I gotta agree with ya there Sads..Ewoks SUCK!

Tribbles!! droolio eek!

Echuu
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
And in the spirit of mad proclamations and claims, I think the Borg could take the Star Wars universe after a long, hard fight (at the time of the 4th movie anyway). Heheh...

Read that nerd site someone posted. The site creater may be a nerd but he knows what he is talking about when it comes to borg vs. empire and brings up very good points why the borg would lose.

MC Mike
More than 4 pages? I think we have gotten to the point where the sane person intervenes and yells:

"They're just, and I stress just, a TV Series and 3 Movies (and one EU each... oh and Star Wars had those things that called themselves "Prequels"wink!!!!!!!!"

Darth Jello
even at its worst, star wars has never reached the level of shitiness that star trek has at times

Serra_Keto
Star Trek is Gay.

alcoholicpoet
Why has this not been closed and/or moved?

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Echuu
Read that nerd site someone posted. The site creater may be a nerd but he knows what he is talking about when it comes to borg vs. empire and brings up very good points why the borg would lose.

Hence me saying a "mad proclamation" as in I was just saying something that I had no intention to prove, just threw it out there as a laugh. I fear I never have had the desire to argue about which fictional creation would out fight some over fictional creation. I believe it would cheapen it for me. That, and as I said, I lack the inclination to base extremely thought out arguments on *fiction* And Science fiction at that. I mean phasers vs. lightsabers? Blah. Or Harry Potter vs. Discworld. Sherlock Holmes vs. Miss Marple. Don Quixote vs. Robinson Crusoe etc etc etc. I mean really... whats wrong with just liking something, does it really matter if it is more popular, or if it's characters can out fight some other pieces characters?

Although I will admit I occasionally enjoy of good comic vs. As long as they are balannced of course.

Clovie
star wars were at least watchable erm

amity75
I remember seeing a star trek fan at the premiere of TPM holding up a banner saying "Blasters kill, phazers stun!". Yeah, and?

Capt_Fantastic
I hate these debates, but I always feel the need to express how much better SW is than ST. However, I like them both. One is Sci-fi and the other is fantasty.

pr1983
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
I hate these debates, but I always feel the need to express how much better SW is than ST. However, I like them both. One is Sci-fi and the other is fantasty.

So true...

as a fan of both i understand Star Trek is more of an acquired taste, but comments like this...

Originally posted by Serra_Keto
Star Trek is Gay.

Only reflect on the person who posted them...

Bardock42
Originally posted by alcoholicpoet
Why has this not been closed and/or moved?

This is a good question...especially since there is a thread like this...I think the major problem is that no one reported it (I sure as hell didn't)

But for the non-believers here's the Thread .....

Darth Jello
there are a lot of things about star trek that i think are really cool, i like the character developement, etc. Star Wars is just much more epic and grand.
in any case, Star Wars' low point was the phantom menace. Compared to the first star trek movie, the final frontier, generations, and nemesis, phantom menace is citizen kane.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by pr1983
Only reflect on the person who posted them...

Come on, ST is gay. The first two seasons of ST:TNG there were guys in short skirts.

bilb
oh come on guys, its just fun to debate this stuff stick out tongue

besides we all know SW is the best , hehhehehehehehe stick out tongue

pr1983
Come on, ST is gay. The first two seasons of ST:TNG there were guys in short skirts.

It was the 80s... c'mon...

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by pr1983
It was the 80s... c'mon...

Well, I don't really have a problem with it. I've seen worse on your typical saturday night at the club.

pr1983
Well, I don't really have a problem with it. I've seen worse on your typical saturday night at the club.

laughing

All i have to say regards to the argument is this...

Star Trek imo has been some of the finest television of the last fifteen years...

If people bothered to watch it they might see that...

Dogbert
Originally posted by Serra_Keto
Star Trek is Gay.

Says you stick out tongue

Twilight Janick
You're taking it the easy way, guys. The easiest way to compare the two series is through show or book quality.

Darth Revan
I like 'em both... But I definitely prefer SW, and always will, partially because I grew up watching it and have watched the OT countless times.

pr1983
You're taking it the easy way, guys. The easiest way to compare the two series is through show or book quality.

Not at all...

and as far as they go, both are too different to compare...

bilb

yeah that works, esp for a series based on movies roll eyes (sarcastic)

Jedi Priestess
funniest damn thread ever! hysterical

Sir Mist
Pointless thread ever!

Of course Star Wars winsno expression

Whisper
We can onlfy fully compare the 2 when Star Wars has had a TV show for 30 odd years. And anyway, people only compare them because they both have the word "Star" in their titles.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Whisper
We can onlfy fully compare the 2 when Star Wars has had a TV show for 30 odd years. And anyway, people only compare them because they both have the word "Star" in their titles.

come on, people have been comparing apples and oranges since the beginning of history.

Whisper
Well, for the record, Star Wars wins. And so do oranges.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Whisper
Well, for the record, Star Wars wins. And so do oranges.

Thats all I wanted to hear.

Cheers

bilb
apples & peanut butter droolio

PVS
Originally posted by bilb
apples & peanut butter droolio sick

Bardock42
Originally posted by Bardock42
This is a good question...especially since there is a thread like this...I think the major problem is that no one reported it (I sure as hell didn't)

But for the non-believers here's the Thread .....
This thread already exists...this thread already exists...this thread already exists.....

I know you just ignor ethis cause I don't report BUT THIS ****ING THREAD ALREADY EXISTS.......

Kahless
ok, so

startrek has phasers

starwars has lasers

in the startrek the next generation: "The outragious Ocona" the enterprise's hull alone is invulnerable to lasers

simply put... starwars can not even harm the basic hull of a startrek ship let alone one with its shields up

ADarksideJedi
Star wars all the way!jm

Schecter
it doesnt even compare. the technology in star wars is so advanced that they can blow up planets.

the end

Robtard
Originally posted by Schecter
it doesnt even compare. the technology in star wars is so advanced that they can blow up planets.

the end

Bah... That little Death Star was taken out by one kid in one p.o.s. space-fighter. The ****ing Borg would assimilate the entire S.W. universe. Imagine an army of Borg-Wookies, pure "pwnage".

Schecter
Originally posted by Robtard
Bah... That little Death Star was taken out by one kid in one p.o.s. space-fighter. The ****ing Borg would assimilate the entire S.W. universe. Imagine an army of Borg-Wookies, pure "pwnage".

right, but the debate centers around the strength of the federation, not the borg. given the ability of assimilation and time travel, the borg would have been a formittable foe. however the empire would have bitchslapped the federation effortlessly.

also, retarded engineering of the deathstar doesnt take way from the superior technology behind the planet-killing laser.

Robtard
right, but the debate centers around the strength of the federation, not the borg. given the ability of assimilation and time travel, the borg would have been a formittable foe. however the empire would have bitchslapped the federation effortlessly.

also, retarded engineering of the deathstar doesnt take way from the superior technology behind the planet-killing laser.

****ing Capt. Kirk and crew managed time travel, but lets not get into that.

The flaws of the Death Star, which is supposed to be the most powerful weapon in the S.W. world are nforgivably ridiculous. First, they leave a hole open in it where one minor shot can destroy it, then they install shields, but have the shield generator on an almost defenseless planet. ****ing retards should have installed it inside the Death Star, duh.

3 T.N.G. Sovereign Class star ships could decimate the Death Star. One warps over and take out the Death Star's shield generator and every single ****ing Ewok from orbit, the other two obliterate it with a combo on photons torpedoes and laser fire afterwards. Picard need not be commanding either ship.

Schecter
****ing Capt. Kirk and crew managed time travel, but lets not get into that.

The flaws of the Death Star, which is supposed to be the most powerful weapon in the S.W. world are nforgivably ridiculous. First, they leave a hole open in it where one minor shot can destroy it, then they install shields, but have the shield generator on an almost defenseless planet. ****ing retards should have installed it inside the Death Star, duh.

3 T.N.G. Sovereign Class star ships could decimate the Death Star. One warps over and take out the Death Star's shield generator and every single ****ing Ewok from orbit, the other two obliterate it with a combo on photons torpedoes and laser fire afterwards. Picard need not be commanding either ship. completely flawed.

the shield generator was also protected (by itself more or less) from outside bombardment. thats why han and company had to find a way in to blast it from the inside. no amount of proton or even quantum torpedos would have destroyed it.

also, the deathstar's surface cannons would have easily taken out any federation ship. remember that there was a distinct advantage in a one man fighter in that it could run the trench and thus avoid said cannons. since the federation had no such fighters, they wouldnt have been able to stage the same kind of attack.

all this talk of deathstars 1 and 2. how about pitting the enterprise against a super star destroyer? pfffft yea right. tractor beam>>dock>>board>>interrogate>>execute.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Star Trek<<<<>>>Star Wars. Love both.

Schecter
unicron would just eat the lot of them

Robtard
completely flawed.

the shield generator was also protected (by itself more or less) from outside bombardment. thats why han and company had to find a way in to blast it from the inside. no amount of proton or even quantum torpedos would have destroyed it.

also, the deathstar's surface cannons would have easily taken out any federation ship. remember that there was a distinct advantage in a one man fighter in that it could run the trench and thus avoid said cannons. since the federation had no such fighters, they wouldnt have been able to stage the same kind of attack.

all this talk of deathstars 1 and 2. how about pitting the enterprise against a super star destroyer? pfffft yea right. tractor beam>>dock>>board>>interrogate>>execute.

Nein.

A top class Star Fleet craft could decimate the planet, let alone the bunker, it could make a crater where the shield gen sits.

The Super SD/Star Destroyers are extremely formidable no doubt, but like a battleship, their main shortcoming is maneuverability, they rely on sheer power. They also lack shields, correct? The tractor beams are a plus, but how do they fare on vessels ith shields? How many can they "lock" onto at once? Even the Borg with their technology had trouble on more than one occasion holding onto a S.T. vessel.

Star fleet vessels have shields on every ship, a major advantage, some also have cloaking capabilities. Transporters are also a huge plus, what would happen if 50 armed Klingons transported into a Star Destroyers command center and went apeshit like they do?

Also of note, the Federation is not only the Earth ships, they have many worlds that make up the Federation, the Vulcans and the Klingons being two heavy hitters.

If you break it down, Star Trek has more advantages in a space battle, regardless of which franchise you like, love or hate more.

Robtard
Originally posted by DARKLORDCAEDUS
Star Trek<<<<>>>Star Wars. Love both.

I'm a fan of both, I can't say I "love" them, but I like them equally.

Schecter
Nein.

A top class Star Fleet craft could decimate the planet, let alone the bunker, it could make a crater where the shield gen sits.

too bold of an assumption.
its shielded, after all.

The Super SD/Star Destroyers are extremely formidable no doubt, but like a battleship, their main shortcoming is maneuverability, they rely on sheer power. They also lack shields, correct? The tractor beams are a plus, but how do they fare on vessels ith shields? How many can they "lock" onto at once? Even the Borg with their technology had trouble on more than one occasion holding onto a S.T. vessel.

star destroyers certainly do have shields. while the weakness of their shields is in the tower generators, it seems that aside from that, they are are impenetrable. in star trek it seems that even the most insignificant phaser blast disrupts their shields to some degree.

Star fleet vessels have shields on every ship, a major advantage, some also have cloaking capabilities. Transporters are also a huge plus, what would happen if 50 armed Klingons transported into a Star Destroyers command center and went apeshit like they do?

yes, they would have an edge with transporters. however they would also be taking on an army of stormtroopers, so the only effective attack would be to transport an explosive, imho. however this is under the assumption that the empire's shields wouldnt block a transport.

btw, also consider a star wars weapon which the federation lacks: ion cannons, which strip a vessle of shields and weapons by draining it of power, as well as transporter ability i would assume.

Also of note, the Federation is not only the Earth ships, they have many worlds that make up the Federation, the Vulcans and the Klingons being two heavy hitters.

klingons maybe, but vulcans? i dont recall them being powerful...or even having any sort of military at all.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Kahless
ok, so

startrek has phasers

starwars has lasers

in the startrek the next generation: "The outragious Ocona" the enterprise's hull alone is invulnerable to lasers

simply put... starwars can not even harm the basic hull of a startrek ship let alone one with its shields up

I think they called the metal "tritanium."

Robtard
too bold of an assumption.
its shielded, after all.

star destroyers certainly do have shields. while the weakness of their shields is in the tower generators, it seems that aside from that, they are are impenetrable. in star trek it seems that even the most insignificant phaser blast disrupts their shields to some degree.

yes, they would have an edge with transporters. however they would also be taking on an army of stormtroopers, so the only effective attack would be to transport an explosive, imho. however this is under the assumption that the empire's shields wouldnt block a transport.

btw, also consider a star wars weapon which the federation lacks: ion cannons, which strip a vessle of shields and weapons by draining it of power, as well as transporter ability i would assume.

klingons maybe, but vulcans? i dont recall them being powerful...or even having any sort of military at all.

It's shielded, but the land around it isn't, crumble the foundation and a house will fall, no matter how sturdy it's walls or roof are. That's the angle I'm thinking.

I wasn't aware of the SD shields, that changes things a bit, how are they in numbers of ships though? The Fed shields do weaken with hits, that is the point of them though, they absorb damage so the ship doesn't. I would assume this is the same with the Empire shields.

Not sure an army of Troopers are ready and waiting on the command deck? Besides, it wouldn't be to destroy the ship per say in one strike, just cause enough havoc to weaken/gimp the ship while the battles rages outside. The teleporting of explosives is good though, didn't think of that one. I'm under the assumption that shields work the same in both franchises, once their weak, a transport can go through, that or finding the frequency and working around it.

Ions canons are a plus, like I said though, Fed ships have been able to adapt and resist Borg various Borg attacks for short periods... we can agree that the Borg have greater technology than either the Fed or the Empire? So it's possible that the ion canons may not be as effective as they are on smaller ships, like we've seen in Star Wars.

The Vulcans have powerful ships, not war ships per se, but capable ships for a fight. Another Star Trek strength, diversity and numbers (multiple races/worlds).

Edit:

Does a Star Destroyer have the ability to replica a cup of "tea, Earl Grey, hot." in an instant? If not, they lose.

Alpha Centauri
Star Wars, because it's marginally less boring to me.

Star Trek seems like any fandom, but minus any fun. I find it hard to see what anybody would ever like about it, but there's obviously something.

-AC

Robtard
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Star Wars, because it's marginally less boring to me.

Star Trek seems like any fandom, but minus any fun. I find it hard to see what anybody would ever like about it, but there's obviously something.

-AC

It's cheesy fantasy sci-fi, that's its appeal.

dadudemon
Fact-Phasers are leaps and bounds above lasers.

Fact-The Force is an abstract element that could easily turn the tide of any technological battle

Fact-Empaths and other specials abilities also exist in the ST Universe.

Fact-A Tricobalt device is also a formidable explosive device.

Fact-Yoda. Nuff Said.

Shin_Blax
In terms of tech Star Wars > Star Trek infinently.

http://stardestroyer.net/Empire/Essays/FiveMinutes.html

Imperial_Samura

Not commenting on who would win (really) but in terms of Trek vs. Wars wouldn't Wars vessels need to hit Trek vessels to affect their shields?

Really, from the movies Wars cap ships move like slugs, and fighters seem to have ranges not all that superior to fighters in our time (dog fighting), are they going to be able to hit Trek ships that... well, just seem quicker and more manoeuvrable?

I have heard about that site... people often say it is rather biased and uses odd calcs to get results - things about Palpatine being able to take Superman and Lightsabers being able to cut through Wolverines bones.

Schecter
:edit: @ robtard:

well, the extent of the shield generator's own shield is never truly explained. in fact, it could be that the entire planet of endor was shielded, considering that luke/han/leia had to use an imperial shuttle and request shield deactivation to even land on the planet.

as seen in RotJ, the imperial fleet would obnoxiously outnumber large federation ships. this assumption based on footage of the federation/borg battle in 'first contact' vs the final battle in RotJ.
that plus countless swarms of tie fighters and bombers to battle the smaller defiant class ships. it just seems to me that extreme brute force and numbers of ships and troops would be on the side of the empire.

a genius problem solver like data might find ways to infiltrate, but thats anyone's call.

no, never said that the borg's technology was better or worse. i just think that the empire might not easily rid themselves of them. after all, assimilating thousands of mindless clones wouldnt be too difficult.
assimilate a few dozen stromtroopers, send them to a barracks disguised in their armor, instant takeover. maybe even go back in time and assimilate palpatine before he learns to use the force. so many possibilities makes the borg a wild card.

:edit: wait...that wouldnt help them to assimilate palps since that would likely mean no sith. i dont think the borg would be able to defeat a republic protected by jedi.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>