Should Lucas have started the prequels first?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

theEviljedi
Your thoughts.

Dim
I think it worked out well actually. I don't really think that ILM could have pulled over the kind of environments needed for the prequels..plus the "duller" quality of the OT helps to make it seem more war torn and oppressive. That's my feelings...

Ratcat
I think a huge part of the suceess of the series is down to us knowing all this great stuff from the Original Trilogy. Only now, 23 years after it all began I we starting to get a clear picture in our minds about what is really going on.

When we saw the Original Trilogy we all "Knew" that it was about one man, Luke Skywalker, and his assention to Jedi Knight.

However, as the prequels emerge it has become clear that Luke was just a plot character and the real story is the rise, fall and subsequent redemption of Anakin Skywalker.

I think George did it the right way round.

King Jedi
WOW! Someone else who thinks that Star Wars is about Anakin Skywalker. Ratcat you should have been here a few months ago when there was a big argument over this.
I also think that Lucas did it the right way but it was the only way possible.
Another thing, if you were introducing Star Wars for the first time to someone,like your son or daughter when all 6 films are completed, where would you start.
The obvious answer is Ep1 but I would start with Ep4. That way they get the suprises about Luke and his family the same as we did. The force is also explained a lot simpler in the OT.

Dim
I'd show him or her the OT first and let them really get into that story then show the kid the PT. If you show them the PT first they might not think that the OT is as neat because its not quite as "new looking". Where as if you show the OT first they'll get an even bigger kick out of the PT.

Yet another reason why I MUST have children...

King Jedi
The only bad thing about that is if they watch the OT first then they might have pre-conceptions about the Clone Wars and Anakin like we have with the prequels. But I would still start with Ep4.

Ratcat
In think that the preconceptions only aid the element of discovery just as we are getting now.

Dim
True, and I don't know about you guys but I never wondered about the Clone Wars when I was little. It's like trying to tell a 4 year old about some war that they're not going to understand anyway so they just mostly ignore it.

Ratcat
Tty explain to a 4 year old that the little boy he thinks is so great in the film turns into the black leather clad monster he see's in the OT. Now that's hard work! eek!

Dim
I wouldn't even really try..I'd just let him realize it after EP3 comes out. RC, how does it feel to realized your son's going to be 9/10 when EP3 comes out?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.