Male vs. Female US salaries

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

botankus
Does anyone know a website where I can find data on mean salaries (both professional and non-professional) by gender in the US? I tried a little with the department of labor, but gave up.

Also, feel free to discuss the improvements on shrinking the gap, your thoughts on Affirmative Action for genders only, and also feel free to brag if you're a male and make more than $1 million per year.

Clovie
i don't think the gap is that big here...
but the gap between the west of country and the east of country is VERY big sad

i know offtopic, sorry.

Ushgarak
Can't find that info right now, but there was a VERY good West Wing episode about this issue- with the West Wing's very laudable impartiality (despite being a very Democrat-sides series) to the issue, with the Republican character female) saying that the idea that the salary gap is due to big boss men deciding to pay women less belongs to the 50s, and that a lot of the perceived difference is simply down to women's choice in career and lifestyle.

botankus
Oh, my error; the discussion absolutely does not have to be just in the United States.

SlipknoT
My mom makes more than my dad so I dont think theres a gap at all really..well at least in America

Fire
I tihnk Ush made a valid point. There simply are more men than women in top positions, I'm not supporting this, I think it should change but that's just the way it is. I am pretty sure it doesn't account for the entire gap but it has to account for atleast a part of it.

Btw slipknot my mom makes more than my dad does as well, thing is My mom has a university degree where my dad has a non-uni higher education degree (dunno what it's called in English)

botankus
I believe it will change over time. However, there are wide margins existing today. For example, at my manufacturing plant 44 of the 50 (approx.) professional employees are male. And, you guessed it, all of the "secretary" positions are filled by women.

Fire
There are male secretaries here. But generally eventho they are (in dutch) both called secretaries they do different kinds of work.

debbiejo
generally men make more than woman....depends on the industry...
For women there is usually a ceiling.

botankus
Not for Oprah, there's not.

Bicnarok

PVS

SlipknoT
Originally posted by Fire

Btw slipknot my mom makes more than my dad does as well, thing is My mom has a university degree where my dad has a non-uni higher education degree (dunno what it's called in English) Same here basically, My mom went to Rutgers while my dad dropped out of a Community College

botankus
The Department of Labor sites I've been to mostly talked about OSHA, which I'm not interested in. Anyone have any ideas about getting hard numbers?

systemshock2
The gap between male and female salaries should absolutely decrease over the years. Take a look at any college/university and you'll find an increase every year in female attendance, while the average college white male (the future standard for these salaries) is fast becoming the minority. (At my university it's already 65% women). With more and more women getting more degrees than guys, this should subsequently decrease the salary gap over the coming years.

Fire
Nope not really, if you needed belgian numbers I'd be able to get them for you.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.