Thanos vs Onslaught

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

apoc001
Thanos vs Onslaught. Oh YEEEAAAAAAHH!

GalacticStorm
If its Onslaught without Franklin Richards then id give this to Thanos

who?-kid
Onslaught all the way. Too powerful for Thanos.

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by who?-kid
Onslaught all the way. Too powerful for Thanos.

You are seriously overrating Onslaughts power. He is not way too powerful for Thanos. Not at all. Onslaught is not skyfather level especially without FR's power which he never fully had anyway. His biggest feats under his own power are nothing to Thanos'.

who?-kid
Thanos also isn't Skyfather level.

But of course, what is "Onslaught" ? There's quite a difference in power level in the different incarnations.

But still, I give it too Onslaught, don't care what incarnation. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the incredible telepathic abilities of Onslaught would fry Thanos brains. And if that doesn't work => he has still his durability and strength (both above those of Thanos).

leonidas
<<You are seriously overrating Onslaughts power. He is not way too powerful for Thanos. Not at all. Onslaught is not skyfather level especially without FR's power which he never fully had anyway. His biggest feats under his own power are nothing to Thanos'.>>

that's because he never really HAD any feats, gs. what do we know about onslaught? it basically took the life force of all the greatest heroes to defeat him. before that he was easily beating the avengers, hulk, xmen -- with nate and cable -- and the ff. even thor couldn't do a thing to him. could thanos battle that combined collection? probably, but it sure as hell wouldn't be 'easy'. especially considering hulk and nate managed to hang with/thwart thanos just the 2 of them when nate armored hulk in tk armor in some annual (hulk or xman?) it took a CRAZY strong hulk to just pierce onslaught's armor and that apparently only made him stronger!

anyway, without gadgets or planning, can't see this being a clear win at all for thanos and with onslaught's telepathic powers i'd say he has a definite shot at this. i'd say both fit nicely in that category below skyfather but above herald. of course, this ia all speculation because onslaught just wasn't around long enough to know for sure.

GalacticStorm

But of course, what is "Onslaught" ? There's quite a difference in power level in the different incarnations.

But still, I give it too Onslaught, don't care what incarnation. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the incredible telepathic abilities of Onslaught would fry Thanos brains. And if that doesn't work => he has still his durability and strength (both above those of Thanos).

You need to read up on Thanos WK. He too has incredibly powerful psychic powers, extremely resilient mental shields and an indomitable will to back it up. Onslaught would not win by psychic means and thats his main avenue of attack. Hulk busted open Onslaughts psychic armour whilst Thanos takes on the likes of Hercules, Hulk and Thor singlehandedly and punks Silver Surfer like he's nothing.

On top of all of that he has all of the powers inherent to him as an eternal. Have a read up on him.

Thanos would win this.

who?-kid
Originally posted by GalacticStorm
You need to read up on Thanos WK. He too has incredibly powerful psychic powers, extremely resilient mental shields and an indomitable will to back it up
That's funny, Onslaught has the same thing, but only stronger.

You know what happened to Juggernaut. Thanos would also beat Juggernaut, but would it be as ridiculously easy for Thanos as it was for Onslaught ?

And the Hulk thing... Hulk was extremely mad (read : strong), and Onslaught still owned him. It was only in the final punch that Hulk broke his armor (that, by the way, already was broken - a bit - and some people say it was all part of Onslaughts plan).

leonidas
i agree who-kid. i'll not say onslaught would win every fight, but in a straight up 1on1, he would get some wins.

Xplosive
Onslaught takes this.

GalacticStorm
That's funny, Onslaught has the same thing, but only stronger.

You know what happened to Juggernaut. Thanos would also beat Juggernaut, but would it be as ridiculously easy for Thanos as it was for Onslaught ?

And the Hulk thing... Hulk was extremely mad (read : strong), and Onslaught still owned him. It was only in the final punch that Hulk broke his armor (that, by the way, already was broken - a bit - and some people say it was all part of Onslaughts plan).

At the end of the day Onslaught held off all the heroes with a shield and attacked them from behind that with a few E.M.P waves. Under his own power Onslaught is a mega powerful mutant, however he is not cosmic level. He is below skyfather. Magneto on his own has fought the Xmen and Avengers as has Exodus. Its not a feat that puts hi up there with Thanos im afraid. When Onslaughts shields got broken down and he had to fight his enemies face to face he got taken down. Thanos takes on the hulk, Thor and Hercules head on, singlehandedly and wins. Thanos takes out heralds like theyre nothing. He's done this to the dreaded Fallen One, SS and Terrax.

Thanos' own psychic prowess virtually nullifys Onslaughts main form of attack. Magnetos powers wouldnt win against Thanos he's Silver Surfer lite and Thanos punks the real things like theyre nothing.

When you have two powerful telepaths who both have indomitable wills then their powers basically cancel each other out. This is supported by Cables actions in his own comic when fughting against the Dark Mother they were telepathically on par so they had to fight physically as it was pointless. All Onslaught has to fall back on is his magnetic abilities while Thanos has all of his eternal attributes.

Thanos wins this.

leonidas
gs, how do you answer the fact that nate and hulk ALONE held off thanos? not only that, thanos DID engage hulk thor and herc but he did not 'beat' them. the battle never ended. how do you think thanos would win? blasting him? i doubt it - onslaught's shields would hold up to them, maybe his armor. punching him? couldn't see that either - the hulk in tk armor was pummeling thanos, and the hulk that broke the armor was likely stronger than thanos as well, so physical power wouldn't do it. nowhere does it say he can (on his own) alter reality or do things at skyfather-level. he is invulnerable to 'most' psychic attacks but there is a chance onslught could affect him there as well. i really can't see there being a clear winner in this fight.

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by leonidas
gs, how do you answer the fact that nate and hulk ALONE held off thanos? not only that, thanos DID engage hulk thor and herc but he did not 'beat' them. the battle never ended. how do you think thanos would win? blasting him? i doubt it - onslaught's shields would hold up to them, maybe his armor. punching him? couldn't see that either - the hulk in tk armor was pummeling thanos, and the hulk that broke the armor was likely stronger than thanos as well, so physical power wouldn't do it. nowhere does it say he can (on his own) alter reality or do things at skyfather-level. he is invulnerable to 'most' psychic attacks but there is a chance onslught could affect him there as well. i really can't see there being a clear winner in this fight.

Nate was the strongest psionic on the planet and Hulk was the strongest physical force so holding back a Thanos who was trapped in another dimension and wasnt there in person at full power is a good feat for those two but hardly says anything bad against Thanos. Onslaught tackled Hulk in person and got dealt with. Whereas Thanos through a dimensional rift frazzled hulk into a gamma irradiated slag heap.

How do you think Onslaught would win? Certainly not through psychic means. Thats his main weapon out of the window. His Surfer-lite (Magneto powers) would be laughed off by Thanos and what else is there? We know Thanos cant die. As the heroes proved Onslaught is an energy being that can be contained, Thanos is ceratinly capable of that. It is just speculation that the Hulk who broke that armour was stronger than Thanos. Especially when you consider Thanos' own strength enables him to dominate fights with multiple class 100 powerhouses, hold his own against both Tyrant and Odin and so on. That physical strength can also be augmented by cosnic energies and also telekinetically as all Eternals can. Id have a guess and say Thanos would be capable of breaking the armour as well Leo.

kgkg
Nate was the strongest psionic on the planet and Hulk was the strongest physical force so holding back a Thanos who was trapped in another dimension and wasnt there in person at full power is a good feat for those two but hardly says anything bad against Thanos. Onslaught tackled Hulk in person and got dealt with. Whereas Thanos through a dimensional rift frazzled hulk into a gamma irradiated slag heap.

How do you think Onslaught would win? Certainly not through psychic means. Thats his main weapon out of the window. His Surfer-lite (Magneto powers) would be laughed off by Thanos and what else is there? We know Thanos cant die. As the heroes proved Onslaught is an energy being that can be contained, Thanos is ceratinly capable of that. It is just speculation that the Hulk who broke that armour was stronger than Thanos. Especially when you consider Thanos' own strength enables him to dominate fights with multiple class 100 powerhouses, hold his own against both Tyrant and Odin and so on. That physical strength can also be augmented by cosnic energies and also telekinetically as all Eternals can. Id have a guess and say Thanos would be capable of breaking the armour as well Leo.
how u been GS

GalacticStorm
Im cool. What about u? I havent seen you around for a little while. Come on KG you know you wanna support Thanos lol

Mainstream
A-poc's homeboy Onslaught would win yo

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by Mainstream
A-poc's homeboy Onslaught would win yo

Homeboy? He had your master wetting his knickers smile

Mainstream
Homeboy? He had your master wetting his knickers smile

that's messed up yo....I remember O-slaught and my boy A-poc were like chillin in the air checking for some fly honey's...you know pimpin and macing like OG playas wickedph

armandovalles
didnt Thanos once hand Tyrant his ass?! if so, Thanos owns Onslaught.

leonidas
<<didnt Thanos once hand Tyrant his ass?!>>

er, no.

armandovalles
then what happenned when Thanos and Tyrant fought?

PS: does anyone have pictures?

leonidas
<<Id have a guess and say Thanos would be capable of breaking the armour as well Leo.>>

not sure i'd agree with that, but supposing he did, THEN what? breaking the armor seemed to actually make onslaught MORE powerful. and i'm not convinced the psychic attacks wouldn't work. he's not COMPLETELY invulnerable to them and at the least he could be struck and hurt by a tk blast. and you said nate was the strongest telepath on the planet - but he couldn't do jack to onslaught. thanos was trapped in that world, but his power certainly didn't appear diminished. he just couldn't escape.

<<How do you think Onslaught would win?>>

i could respond with the same question to you. thanos weapons are destructive power blasts and strength. if he DID break the armor, now onslaught is pure psychic energy. what is thanos going to do? without gadgets he can't contain him, so . . .?

to be honest, onslaught was too unclearly represented for me to get into a prolonged debate about - i've too little evidence to bring forth. however, based upon who he battled, (xmen, avengers - with scarlet witch - ff, nate, hulk, cable AND dr. doom!) based upon what he did to juggs (i really can't imagine regular thanos doing that to juggernaut) and factoring in what others have done to thanos (he did engage thing and thor in combat, but it was clearly demonstrated that thor at least was able to hurt him with his hammer in that fight - thor was completely ineffectual against onslaught) i still don't see there being a clear and decisive winner in this match. i'd call it pretty damn even and give onslaught his share of the victories.

leonidas
<<then what happenned when Thanos and Tyrant fought?
PS: does anyone have pictures?>>

thanos called off the fight before tyrant killed him. and thanos fought him AFTER thanos stole a bunch of tyrant's power. regular thanos wouldn't have stood a chance in the fight.

joesha28
"And the Hulk thing... Hulk was extremely mad (read : strong), and Onslaught still owned him. It was only in the final punch that Hulk broke his armor (that, by the way, already was broken - a bit - and some people say it was all part of Onslaughts plan)."

True, it was broken a bit, Thor burst thru him to retrive Prof x. It was some kinf of plan for Onslaught to become energy.

joesha28
Thanos is below Skyfather-level but he is extremely close. He held off Hulk, Thor, Herc....beaten SS. But he also was beaten by Thor and Silver Surfer in a one on one too. No clear winner.

joesha28
i got Tyrant vs Thanos pics........

http://webhome.idirect.com/~sprasher/images/1.jpg

http://webhome.idirect.com/~sprasher/images/2.jpg

http://webhome.idirect.com/~sprasher/images/3.jpg

http://webhome.idirect.com/~sprasher/images/4.jpg

Lord S
You are seriously overrating Onslaughts power. He is not way too powerful for Thanos. Not at all. Onslaught is not skyfather level especially without FR's power which he never fully had anyway. His biggest feats under his own power are nothing to Thanos'. Creating a second sun is considered nothing? Onslaught was clearly a mini-Celestial by the time he had Franklin, and Thanos would be a grease-spot real quick against him.

But if we're talking about Onslaught w/o Franklin, then Thanos would pwn him fairly easily.

Originally posted by armandovalles
didnt Thanos once hand Tyrant his ass?! if so, Thanos owns Onslaught. Wow...is ignorance really as blissful as they say?

Originally posted by joesha28
i got Tyrant vs Thanos pics........

http://webhome.idirect.com/~sprasher/images/1.jpg

http://webhome.idirect.com/~sprasher/images/2.jpg

http://webhome.idirect.com/~sprasher/images/3.jpg

http://webhome.idirect.com/~sprasher/images/4.jpg What do you mean you got pics...those are MY pics!

joesha28
Yeah i got them from you, buddy wink

GalacticStorm
<<Id have a guess and say Thanos would be capable of breaking the armour as well Leo.>>

not sure i'd agree with that, but supposing he did, THEN what? breaking the armor seemed to actually make onslaught MORE powerful. and i'm not convinced the psychic attacks wouldn't work. he's not COMPLETELY invulnerable to them and at the least he could be struck and hurt by a tk blast. and you said nate was the strongest telepath on the planet - but he couldn't do jack to onslaught. thanos was trapped in that world, but his power certainly didn't appear diminished. he just couldn't escape.

<<How do you think Onslaught would win?>>

i could respond with the same question to you. thanos weapons are destructive power blasts and strength. if he DID break the armor, now onslaught is pure psychic energy. what is thanos going to do? without gadgets he can't contain him, so . . .?

to be honest, onslaught was too unclearly represented for me to get into a prolonged debate about - i've too little evidence to bring forth. however, based upon who he battled, (xmen, avengers - with scarlet witch - ff, nate, hulk, cable AND dr. doom!) based upon what he did to juggs (i really can't imagine regular thanos doing that to juggernaut) and factoring in what others have done to thanos (he did engage thing and thor in combat, but it was clearly demonstrated that thor at least was able to hurt him with his hammer in that fight - thor was completely ineffectual against onslaught) i still don't see there being a clear and decisive winner in this match. i'd call it pretty damn even and give onslaught his share of the victories.

How did breaking the armour seem to make him more powerful? I wouldnt consider that a correct assessment. He was merely free from his psionic shell. He never did anything more impressive than when he was encased in his psionic armour. It made him virtually invulnerable to physical harm however as shown by his defeat as an energy being he is still capable of being contained. Thanos is a top level energy wielder and has dealt with beings beyond Onslaughts power such as Kosmos(The Beyonder in female form) Magneto has virtually no telelpathic power but due to the fact that he wields electromagnetic energies in abundance (which in Marvel inhibit telepathy) and he has powerful mental shields, backed by an indomitable will he's able to hold off mental assaults from Xavier as he's done on many an occassion. Thanos is a powerful telepath with extremely powerful psychic shielding and a virtually matchless will. A psychic assault would take far too much much time and effort from Onslaught to have any effect and in the meantime Thanos could fight him on a physical front. Breaking his armour is well within his capabilities. Thanos as an eternal can augment his physical strength psionically and by means of cosmic energy. As a top level energy wielder Thanos is capable of containing him . Nate was perhaps the most powerful psionic on the planet in terms of raw power however he was woefully inexperienced and most of his feats were down to intuition and instinct. Therefore he was no match for Onslaught whatsoever. It is an assumption with all beings trapped in a dimension that their powers arent fully effective or employable on the main dimension. If that wasnt the case why can these beings can always only take over the world or exact their plans once theyre free from their dimensional prison.

If Onslaught is free and in energy form it it common knowledge that electromagnetic energies can interfere with, inhibit, restrict psionic energies. psionic energies are after all just brain synapses. I dont see why Thanos wouldnt be able to contain him or cause him harm. Xaviers astral form has been hurt by a female member of the Acolytes before who could disrupt energy fields. Onslaught isnt invulnerable in taht form im afraid.

Onslaughts greatest feats at the end of the day were not under his own power. Onslaught is the combination of Xavier and Magneto nothing more nothing less. He is no match for Thanos in any way, shape or form. Onslaught never fought all those teams you mentioned en masse. He hid behind his shields and sent out energy waves. When hulk got through he dealt with Onslaught. Magneto has done the same to more than one team as has Exodus. Listing that as one of Onslaughts feats is nothing impressive as it is accomplishable by a mere mutant.

Thors hammer hardly proved ineffectual it helped to crack Onslaughts armour with one or two blows. However if him and Thor went at it in a one on one physical fight then you'd see just how effective Mjolnir would be and then you could draw comparisons between Thors encounters with Thanos who actually engaged Thor head on. Slight difference.

Thanos is more powerful than Onslaught. His own psionic prowess and his control of electromagnetic energies helps in nullifying Onslaughts main form of attack. Onslaught is left with Magnetos abilities. Need i say more?

olympian
"Thanos is below Skyfather-level but he is extremely close. He held off Hulk, Thor, Herc....beaten SS. But he also was beaten by Thor and Silver Surfer in a one on one too. No clear winner."

Thanos is above herald level and below the gods/beings that are close to skyfather level.

Thanos as far as i know never lost against Thor and Silver Surfer.

leonidas
How did breaking the armour seem to make him more powerful? I wouldnt consider that a correct assessment. He was merely free from his psionic shell. He never did anything more impressive than when he was encased in his psionic armour. It made him virtually invulnerable to physical harm however as shown by his defeat as an energy being he is still capable of being contained. Thanos is a top level energy wielder and has dealt with beings beyond Onslaughts power such as Kosmos(The Beyonder in female form) Magneto has virtually no telelpathic power but due to the fact that he wields electromagnetic energies in abundance (which in Marvel inhibit telepathy) and he has powerful mental shields, backed by an indomitable will he's able to hold off mental assaults from Xavier as he's done on many an occassion. Thanos is a powerful telepath with extremely powerful psychic shielding and a virtually matchless will. A psychic assault would take far too much much time and effort from Onslaught to have any effect and in the meantime Thanos could fight him on a physical front. Breaking his armour is well within his capabilities. Thanos as an eternal can augment his physical strength psionically and by means of cosmic energy. As a top level energy wielder Thanos is capable of containing him . Nate was perhaps the most powerful psionic on the planet in terms of raw power however he was woefully inexperienced and most of his feats were down to intuition and instinct. Therefore he was no match for Onslaught whatsoever. It is an assumption with all beings trapped in a dimension that their powers arent fully effective or employable on the main dimension. If that wasnt the case why can these beings can always only take over the world or exact their plans once theyre free from their dimensional prison.

If Onslaught is free and in energy form it it common knowledge that electromagnetic energies can interfere with, inhibit, restrict psionic energies. psionic energies are after all just brain synapses. I dont see why Thanos wouldnt be able to contain him or cause him harm. Xaviers astral form has been hurt by a female member of the Acolytes before who could disrupt energy fields. Onslaught isnt invulnerable in taht form im afraid.

Onslaughts greatest feats at the end of the day were not under his own power. Onslaught is the combination of Xavier and Magneto nothing more nothing less. He is no match for Thanos in any way, shape or form. Onslaught never fought all those teams you mentioned en masse. He hid behind his shields and sent out energy waves. When hulk got through he dealt with Onslaught. Magneto has done the same to more than one team as has Exodus. Listing that as one of Onslaughts feats is nothing impressive as it is accomplishable by a mere mutant.

Thors hammer hardly proved ineffectual it helped to crack Onslaughts armour with one or two blows. However if him and Thor went at it in a one on one physical fight then you'd see just how effective Mjolnir would be and then you could draw comparisons between Thors encounters with Thanos who actually engaged Thor head on. Slight difference.

Thanos is more powerful than Onslaught. His own psionic prowess and his control of electromagnetic energies helps in nullifying Onslaughts main form of attack. Onslaught is left with Magnetos abilities. Need i say more?

okay, since you want to continue debating this, a few things:

first. as regards the breaking armor making him more powerful. see scan.

second, he never did anything more impressive because the heroes instantly sacrificed themselves BEFORE he had the chance. it is very clear reed thought him a much greater threat. it is speculation on your part that thanos's energy blasts could 'disrupt' onslaught and that onslaught was not invulnerable. reed himself says he is untouchable and many very powerful energy wielders don't bother attacking him but rather try to contain him with their physical and mental selves. at the cost of their lives. call me crazy, but i don't think thanos would use that particular tactic.

third, onslaught was CLEARLY more than a simple synthesis of mags and x. he created a friggin' sun! even at the end of the series, though he had not fully harnessed franklin, he must have had at least SOME of his powers. he also engaged maddened hulk in battle h2h. mags or x could never do that. (and the armor was NOT cracked prior to hulk attacking.) and hulk hardly 'dealt' with him. he was ko'd in the end AND only helped hasten onslaught evolution.

fourth, even IF onslaught couldn't screw with thano's mind (which i'm not wholly convinced of), thanos would STILL be susceptible to psionic force blasts and all of onslaught's other capabilities.

fifth, you say nate was inexperienced. so an inexperienced nate and hulk thwarted thanos. a for thanos power IN that realm - why couldn't he have all his power but simply not be able to break free and act on his plans? inbetweener was trapped with all his power, but it did him no good in thanosquest.

lastly, thor's hammer did nothing in that battle. it did not help crack the armor, it had no effect whatsoever on the shields. all thor did was lead the heroes onward to the final sacrifice.

you've said nothing to change my stance on this issue. in making me look closer at them both, i can see onslaught perhaps even having a slight edge in this battle.

Dark Thor
i cant believe some people. Thanos wins this. He's too powerful for Onslaught. Onslaught has psionic attacks, superhuman strength, agility, and invulnerability. He also has the combined powers of Xavier and Magneto. He can create illusions and stun people. However, Thanos has superhuman strength, agility, and endurance. Thanos can blast psionic attacks and energy blasts. All in all, Thanos is more superior

Lord S

lastly, thor's hammer did nothing in that battle. it did not help crack the armor, it had no effect whatsoever on the shields. all thor did was lead the heroes onward to the final sacrifice. Actually Thor (w/hammer) managed to penetrate Onslaught to rescue Xavier. Cable tweaked Joseph's power to crack the armour, and Cyclops let loose with a massive optic blast, and Sue used her powers to widen the hole. Thor then flew in and grabbed Xavier.

So Mjolnir didn't exactly pierce the armour from the front...but it did from the inside on the way out of Onslaught's back.

I think it's been well stated that Onslaught is a lot more than just Magneto and Xavier. In his early stages I have no problem with giving Thanos the victory...but by the end he was siphoning Franklin's power, and created a second sun. As powerful as Thanos is, I don't think even he can do that.

ALEMASTER
thanos but he has a struggle

Lord S
Originally posted by ALEMASTER
thanos but he has a struggle What the f**k?

Kindly clarify exactly WTF it is you're trying to say in conjunction with that scan.

Dark Thor
LMFAO

leonidas
<<Actually Thor (w/hammer) managed to penetrate Onslaught to rescue Xavier. Cable tweaked Joseph's power to crack the armour, and Cyclops let loose with a massive optic blast, and Sue used her powers to widen the hole. Thor then flew in and grabbed Xavier.
So Mjolnir didn't exactly pierce the armour from the front...but it did from the inside on the way out of Onslaught's back.>>

point acknowledged. what part of the x-over did that happen in again? anywho, i was sort of getting at the fact that thor's hammer alone had been insufficient to the task. but i undrestand what you're saying and you're right.

and i agree - by the end of th book, onslaught (even without FULLY harnessing franklin's power) was at a level similar to thanos's.

leonidas
oh, and i think he's trying to say thanos can beat all the heroes on the cover . . .? maybe? confused

GalacticStorm
okay, since you want to continue debating this, a few things:

first. as regards the breaking armor making him more powerful. see scan.

second, he never did anything more impressive because the heroes instantly sacrificed themselves BEFORE he had the chance. it is very clear reed thought him a much greater threat. it is speculation on your part that thanos's energy blasts could 'disrupt' onslaught and that onslaught was not invulnerable. reed himself says he is untouchable and many very powerful energy wielders don't bother attacking him but rather try to contain him with their physical and mental selves. at the cost of their lives. call me crazy, but i don't think thanos would use that particular tactic.

third, onslaught was CLEARLY more than a simple synthesis of mags and x. he created a friggin' sun! even at the end of the series, though he had not fully harnessed franklin, he must have had at least SOME of his powers. he also engaged maddened hulk in battle h2h. mags or x could never do that. (and the armor was NOT cracked prior to hulk attacking.) and hulk hardly 'dealt' with him. he was ko'd in the end AND only helped hasten onslaught evolution.

fourth, even IF onslaught couldn't screw with thano's mind (which i'm not wholly convinced of), thanos would STILL be susceptible to psionic force blasts and all of onslaught's other capabilities.

fifth, you say nate was inexperienced. so an inexperienced nate and hulk thwarted thanos. a for thanos power IN that realm - why couldn't he have all his power but simply not be able to break free and act on his plans? inbetweener was trapped with all his power, but it did him no good in thanosquest.

lastly, thor's hammer did nothing in that battle. it did not help crack the armor, it had no effect whatsoever on the shields. all thor did was lead the heroes onward to the final sacrifice.

you've said nothing to change my stance on this issue. in making me look closer at them both, i can see onslaught perhaps even having a slight edge in this battle.

First as regards to the breaking of the armour making him more powerful the scan proves nothing. All it shows is that he became more dangerous as he became an energy being which as everyone in the scan says is bad because he is no longer a physical being who could be blugeoned to death. It is mere speculation on your part that he became more powerful and as such this point is invalid.

Given that Xaviers astral form could be disrupted withn ease by the Acolyte( something which happened after the Onslaught saga i might add) and that this was done electromagnetically, given Magnetos past battles with the Xmen where he has been able to inhibit Xaviers telepathy through such energies as well id say its a fair bet that Thanos could do the same. That is all within reason.

Onslaught created a sun and built his fortress by tapping into Franklins power. Under his own resources he simply was not shown to be capable of such a feat. its as simple as that. Onslaughts greatest feat under his own power was punking Juggernaut and holding off the heroes. Nimrod has messed up Juggs before and powerful mutants have held heroes at bay before. Under his own power he's done nothing to show he's on Thanos' level. Yeah he did engage a maddened hulk who was winning for the majority of the fight before Onslaught knocked him down and held him, Hulk then proceeded to shatter Onslaught across the battlefield. The fact that the explosion from this shattering unleashed a wave of reality altering power which seperated Banner from Hulk, suggests that Onslaught was drawing on Franklins power and had access to it during that fight.

Onslaughts powers are Magneto's and Xaviers. Thats it. During the Onslaught saga he captured Nate and Franklin and drew on their power. Their abilities were not Onslaughts abilities im afraid. As you've admitted you dont believe Onslaught could win by assaulting Thanos' mind. Well thats Xavier out of the picture, so whats he left with? Magnetos powers. SS can do everything Magneto can to a greater extent and more. Thanos slaughters SS.

I see Lord S has dealt with your Mjolnir subject. You've been corrected theres nothing else to say on that matter.

leonidas
<<First as regards to the breaking of the armour making him more powerful the scan proves nothing. All it shows is that he became more dangerous as he became an energy being which as everyone in the scan says is bad because he is no longer a physical being who could be blugeoned to death. It is mere speculation on your part that he became more powerful and as such this point is invalid.>>

no more invalid than your opinion that he DIDN'T become more powerful. i'm inclined to believe my opinion of course, because reed says he has evolved (ie- PROGRESSED, GROWN) into this final form.

<<given Magnetos past battles with the Xmen where he has been able to inhibit Xaviers telepathy through such energies as well id say its a fair bet that Thanos could do the same. That is all within reason.>>

he was MORE than either combined.

<<As you've admitted you dont believe Onslaught could win by assaulting Thanos' mind.>.

i said he MIGHT not be able to assault him mentally. but thanos is not completely invulnerable to mental attacks - just very very resistant to them.

<<Their abilities were not Onslaughts abilities im afraid.>>

through his power he made their power his own. what difference does it make if he originally HAD the ability? i'm discussing onslaught as we saw him in the books. not what he 'might have been', not exactly how he was born, but the power level he displayed in the books. now it's you who's making an assumption on what onslaught was or wasn't capable of. by the end of the battle, did he or did he not have reality altering power? yes. did he create a sun? yes. did he wield power that thanos could not? it is certainly debateable.

if he simply was x and mags i'd be inclined to believe you. he was more though. and lord s clarified that thor WAS able to do some damage, yes, but it changes nothing about what i said earlier - thor ALONE was able to do nothing. it wasn't until the crack had ALREADY appeared in the armor, and then had been WIDENED by the combined efforts of several heroes, that thor was able to do anything. on his own, his power was exactly as ineffectual as i said it was. (btw, never mind the issue # lord s - xmen 336. found it.)

the watcher himself claims that onslaught is a NEW lifeform as far above mutants as mutants are above man. he is an ultimately powerful telepath, with control over the electromagnetic spectrum and the ability to alter and shape reality. on his own, thanos is a bionically enhanced eternal with powerful destructive blasts and superstrength.

leonidas
btw, i appreciate the debate. wink

olympian
"oh, and i think he's trying to say thanos can beat all the heroes on the cover . . .? maybe?"

Well in that story...........he did.

GalacticStorm
<<First as regards to the breaking of the armour making him more powerful the scan proves nothing. All it shows is that he became more dangerous as he became an energy being which as everyone in the scan says is bad because he is no longer a physical being who could be blugeoned to death. It is mere speculation on your part that he became more powerful and as such this point is invalid.>>

no more invalid than your opinion that he DIDN'T become more powerful. i'm inclined to believe my opinion of course, because reed says he has evolved (ie- PROGRESSED, GROWN) into this final form.

<<given Magnetos past battles with the Xmen where he has been able to inhibit Xaviers telepathy through such energies as well id say its a fair bet that Thanos could do the same. That is all within reason.>>

he was MORE than either combined.

<<As you've admitted you dont believe Onslaught could win by assaulting Thanos' mind.>.

i said he MIGHT not be able to assault him mentally. but thanos is not completely invulnerable to mental attacks - just very very resistant to them.

<<Their abilities were not Onslaughts abilities im afraid.>>

through his power he made their power his own. what difference does it make if he originally HAD the ability? i'm discussing onslaught as we saw him in the books. not what he 'might have been', not exactly how he was born, but the power level he displayed in the books. now it's you who's making an assumption on what onslaught was or wasn't capable of. by the end of the battle, did he or did he not have reality altering power? yes. did he create a sun? yes. did he wield power that thanos could not? it is certainly debateable.

if he simply was x and mags i'd be inclined to believe you. he was more though. and lord s clarified that thor WAS able to do some damage, yes, but it changes nothing about what i said earlier - thor ALONE was able to do nothing. it wasn't until the crack had ALREADY appeared in the armor, and then had been WIDENED by the combined efforts of several heroes, that thor was able to do anything. on his own, his power was exactly as ineffectual as i said it was. (btw, never mind the issue # lord s - xmen 336. found it.)

the watcher himself claims that onslaught is a NEW lifeform as far above mutants as mutants are above man. he is an ultimately powerful telepath, with control over the electromagnetic spectrum and the ability to alter and shape reality. on his own, thanos is a bionically enhanced eternal with powerful destructive blasts and superstrength.

All of Thanos' reality altering/warping feats were achieved when he was in posession of Franklin Richards. It was not under his own power. It is speculation on your part to say that he could the same things under his own power. He was merely siphoning hi spower while hew as in posession of him. Onslaught as far as was shown by the comics was a synthesis of Xavier and Magneto.

The point about Thor was that he did some damage with a single blow, therefore Thor hurting Thanos with Mjolnir isnt a negative point against Thanos in this battle. Thor causing a crack in the armour which the others later took advantage of is hardly ineffectual. I could turn around and say Thor hurting Thanos a bit in a battlke that was otherwise clearly dominated by Thanos was ineffectual.

Onslaught is a powerful mutant derived entity whose own abilities were those of Magneto and Xaviers.

Thanos is an eternal who thanks to Death cannot die, He wields immense cosmic power, psionic power , matter manipulation power, class 100 strength and has a history of defeating beings far beyond either him or Onslaught in terms of power. Kosmos for example.

leonidas
<<I could turn around and say Thor hurting Thanos a bit in a battlke that was otherwise clearly dominated by Thanos was ineffectual.>>

you got it backwards, gs, thor didn't open the crack, he took advantage of the opening joseph and cable started and sue and the others widened.

and matter manipulation is an earth eternal trait, not a titan eternal trait. thanos can manipulate energy for destructive blasts, not manipulate matter/reality. as for his telepathy, that is very fuzz and any comments on the extent of it would be pure speculation. he is not invulnerable to mental attack though and it is at least debateable if onslaught could affect him that way.

<<All of Thanos' reality altering/warping feats were achieved when he was in posession of Franklin Richards. It was not under his own power. It is speculation on your part to say that he could the same things under his own power. He was merely siphoning hi spower while hew as in posession of him. Onslaught as far as was shown by the comics was a synthesis of Xavier and Magneto.>>

true - long ago i said his powers were unclear and so it was hard to build a case for him, but your opinions are equally speculatory regarding thanos being able to crack his armor and affect onslaught's energy form, as well as surmising what onslaught was/wasn't capable of in his highest shown form.

and you're right - onslaught was 'derived' from x and mags. but the synthesis made him greater than either alone. what he did when he gained life demonstrates that, and the power he amassed by the end rivalled thanos's power.

leonidas
the kosmos example is a good one - onslaught wasn't around long enough for him to have done or attempted similar feats. another problem with trying to debate his case.

Avalonofthewind
I'll admit that I don't know much about Onslaught...but wouldn't the fact that it took that many people to beat him make him the clear winner?

How would Thanos fare in the same cirscumtances against the same opponents?

who?-kid
Originally posted by Avalonofthewind
Not so good.

Avengers, FF, X-Men, Cable and Hulk against Thanos... I pity Thanos...

GalacticStorm
<<I could turn around and say Thor hurting Thanos a bit in a battlke that was otherwise clearly dominated by Thanos was ineffectual.>>

you got it backwards, gs, thor didn't open the crack, he took advantage of the opening joseph and cable started and sue and the others widened.

and matter manipulation is an earth eternal trait, not a titan eternal trait. thanos can manipulate energy for destructive blasts, not manipulate matter/reality. as for his telepathy, that is very fuzz and any comments on the extent of it would be pure speculation. he is not invulnerable to mental attack though and it is at least debateable if onslaught could affect him that way.

<<All of Thanos' reality altering/warping feats were achieved when he was in posession of Franklin Richards. It was not under his own power. It is speculation on your part to say that he could the same things under his own power. He was merely siphoning hi spower while hew as in posession of him. Onslaught as far as was shown by the comics was a synthesis of Xavier and Magneto.>>

true - long ago i said his powers were unclear and so it was hard to build a case for him, but your opinions are equally speculatory regarding thanos being able to crack his armor and affect onslaught's energy form, as well as surmising what onslaught was/wasn't capable of in his highest shown form.

and you're right - onslaught was 'derived' from x and mags. but the synthesis made him greater than either alone. what he did when he gained life demonstrates that, and the power he amassed by the end rivalled thanos's power.

Well if Joseph and Cable can crack Onslaughts armour then Thanos could do it no problem. If Invisible Woman and Thor could go on to rip it open then Thanos could do the same. Thats common sense. Thanos' strength is enough to wrestle and hold his own with Skyfather level beings and its enough to beat and dominate a fight with multiple class 100 powerhouses. That strength when augmented psionically and cosmically could feasibly destroy Onslaughts armour during the course of a battle if just Cable and Joseph with a surge of energy can put cracks in it.

Before Onslaught captured Frankin he didnt posess reality warping capability. He held him so he could tap into that power. Its speculation on your part that he magically posessed power over reality after evolving into a psionic form. Whereas my thoughts on the matter stand to reason.

You cant say the power he gained at the end rivalled Thanos' power because you dont know exactly what power he had in his final form. All of his greatest feats were achieved through the powers of others . What we do know for definite about him is that he was a synthesis of Mags and Prof X. That combination certainly doesnt rival Thanos.

GalacticStorm
I'll admit that I don't know much about Onslaught...but wouldn't the fact that it took that many people to beat him make him the clear winner?

What you need to comprehend is the fact that Onslaught never fought those heroes en masse. He erected a shield and held them back while he planned his next move. When the heroes managed to get through the shield Hulk battered Onslaught and shattered his armour. Magneto on his own has done a similar thing against the Xmen and Avengers,as has Exodus. Without the use of teh powers of Franklin Richards his greatest feats were not that far beyond a mega powerful mutant.

Thanos has fought directly against Kosmos (the former beyonder) and won. He has defeated many of agalactus' heralds and he has engaged directly multiple class 100 powerhouses singlehandedly such as Hulk Drax and Thor and tossed them aside. Onslaught got busted up by the Hulk.

leonidas
<<All of his greatest feats were achieved through the powers of others . What we do know for definite about him is that he was a synthesis of Mags and Prof X. That combination certainly doesnt rival Thanos.>>

what we know for sure is he was a new, advanced lifeform. we know for sure he was derived from x and mags, and that's all. he MUST have been more though, just look at his strength. and i'm almost certain they only cracked the armor because onslaught was foolish and let them see prof x inside him, thus leaving himself open. that bit IS slightly unclear though. and you keep saying he didn't battle them all en masse. he did on a number of occasions across several issues.

you accuse me of speculating but reed himself says onslaught is untouchable, and the watcher calls him a new lifeform. he demonstrated power beyond x and mags in his strength, then i accuse you of speculating on whether thanos is stronger than onslaught (or hulk who broke the armor) or whether his bolts would affect his energy form.

i'll maintain my opinion that onslaught as was seen in the books is a rival in thanos's class. i'll likely not change your mind, and the obverse is also true.

i'm good with calling it a draw, and letting others read what we've said and deciding on their own.

good debate.

GalacticStorm
<<All of his greatest feats were achieved through the powers of others . What we do know for definite about him is that he was a synthesis of Mags and Prof X. That combination certainly doesnt rival Thanos.>>

what we know for sure is he was a new, advanced lifeform. we know for sure he was derived from x and mags, and that's all. he MUST have been more though, just look at his strength. and i'm almost certain they only cracked the armor because onslaught was foolish and let them see prof x inside him, thus leaving himself open. that bit IS slightly unclear though. and you keep saying he didn't battle them all en masse. he did on a number of occasions across several issues.

you accuse me of speculating but reed himself says onslaught is untouchable, and the watcher calls him a new lifeform. he demonstrated power beyond x and mags in his strength, then i accuse you of speculating on whether thanos is stronger than onslaught (or hulk who broke the armor) or whether his bolts would affect his energy form.

i'll maintain my opinion that onslaught as was seen in the books is a rival in thanos's class. i'll likely not change your mind, and the obverse is also true.

i'm good with calling it a draw, and letting others read what we've said and deciding on their own.

good debate.

Its really late in the U.K so i'll counter this properly in the morning. As to your point on how strong he was,tahts down to Magnetos powers. Magneto could endow himself with class 100 strength using his abilitys. He once lifted a 300, 000 ton ship hundreds of feet in the air with his powers. When he uses his powers for physical strength he's a powerhouse.

leonidas
last thing gs - if he could feed off the psionic power of nate and franklin, why not feed off thanos's own psionic power? now THAT would be a great tactic for onslaught . . .

later

Avalonofthewind
What you need to comprehend is the fact that Onslaught never fought those heroes en masse. He erected a shield and held them back while he planned his next move. When the heroes managed to get through the shield Hulk battered Onslaught and shattered his armour. Magneto on his own has done a similar thing against the Xmen and Avengers,as has Exodus. Without the use of teh powers of Franklin Richards his greatest feats were not that far beyond a mega powerful mutant.

Thanos has fought directly against Kosmos (the former beyonder) and won. He has defeated many of agalactus' heralds and he has engaged directly multiple class 100 powerhouses singlehandedly such as Hulk Drax and Thor and tossed them aside. Onslaught got busted up by the Hulk.

Hmm... interesting. It still sounds like he was fighting them en masse storm. He held all of them back for a while? Thats still impressive if both Hulk and Thor were there. Thats a lot of diverse power to contain, if even for a while.

leonidas
hey, nice sig av!

kgkg
gs you need help wink

leonidas
<<gs you need help>>

big grin

Avalonofthewind
hey, nice sig av!

Thanks Leo. I'll PM u the original pic I made if u'd like.

leonidas
sure, send it over. not sure how to config a pic into a sig though.

Richrf
I think the point that he could hold off 30+ heroes was impressive.

Has Thanos ever done it before? Could Thantos force shield hold off such a beating?

I still think Thanos has a chance, he's bloody devious. Kind of like a cosmic batman. With prep he can win anyone.

In raw power, I give it to onslaught though.

Lord S
under his own power And what exactly is his 'own power'?

You seem to think that Onslaught's own power is just an amalgamation of Xavier and Magneto, when in fact his own power was constantly evolving.

The Onslaught entitly itself was merely a little demon-lookin creature growing inside the chest of Magneto.

He was a being that made himself by siphoning the powers of others...and any powers he siphoned, fully or partially, have to be considered as his own. He didn't need any host to survive by the time he totally drained them. He was slowly taking over Franklin, and had he been given more time, he would have totally drained him and tossed him aside. By partially draining Franklin, he was able to create a second sun...and I consider that as being 'under his own power'.

ImmortalOne
Com on get ove it, I wanna see who wins !!!

Beyonder
Hmm... interesting. It still sounds like he was fighting them en masse storm. He held all of them back for a while? Thats still impressive if both Hulk and Thor were there. Thats a lot of diverse power to contain, if even for a while.

What? Infinity War. Thanos take on Thor, Hulk, Herc, and Thing. He's taken on Thor and Thing before his power up.

Also, Thor wasn't even at full power during the Onslaught saga. Dr. Strange wasn't in the frey either. Nor was Silver Surfer.

Thanos 6-7/10.

As for the group of superheroes, please list the characters, not just team names. Who was actually involved in attacking Onslaught.

I'll bet Thanos could pull off the same feat as Onslaught...if people listed the heroes instead of just ambigously naming groups.

apoc001
guys, guys... even if Thanos IS stronger how's he gonna survive a psychic attack from an infintly powerful telepath?

who?-kid
Originally posted by Lord S
And what exactly is his 'own power'?

You seem to think that Onslaught's own power is just an amalgamation of Xavier and Magneto, when in fact his own power was constantly evolving.

The Onslaught entitly itself was merely a little demon-lookin creature growing inside the chest of Magneto.

He was a being that made himself by siphoning the powers of others...and any powers he siphoned, fully or partially, have to be considered as his own. He didn't need any host to survive by the time he totally drained them. He was slowly taking over Franklin, and had he been given more time, he would have totally drained him and tossed him aside. By partially draining Franklin, he was able to create a second sun...and I consider that as being 'under his own power'.
True. Even though it wasn't very clear how exactly it worked, Onslaught definitely had the ability to absorb certain powers.

Another problem for Thanos.

who?-kid
Originally posted by apoc001
guys, guys... even if Thanos IS stronger how's he gonna survive a psychic attack from an infintly powerful telepath?
Onslaught was stronger than Thanos.

Thing was hitting Onslaught - who at that time wasn't half as strong as he would be later - with everything he had, and Onslaught didn't even feel it.

Lord S
True. Even though it wasn't very clear how exactly it worked, Onslaught definitely had the ability to absorb certain powers.

Another problem for Thanos. Especially considering that Thanos himself is a mutant.

Beyonder
Especially considering that Thanos himself is a mutant...

...Eternal Titan. He's as far off from mutant as Asgardians are. He's an Eternal Titan first and a mutant second. Both his parents are Eternals; there biology is different from humans. We don't know what extent or even any control Onslaught has over mutants of a different species, especially one that already had special gifts. Furthermore, with the implants and amping by Mistress Death, you can't be sure of anything. From what I know, Thanos has yet to be control. Heck, he even tricked Mephisto and grinned at the demon's face. And Mephisto has pulled beings like Thor into his realm before.

ImmortalOne
I dont know who would win this
But THANOS IS NOT A MUTANT, HE IS AN ETERNAL !!!

olympian
Yeah, since when was he a mutant. I mean first and foremost he is a Titan and thats it. Same goes for who is an Eternal. Or Inhumans.

ImmortalOne
So who wins >>??

lft4ded
As far as I know Thanos has always been a mutant. He is an Titan Eternal that was born with some abilities that Earth Eternals have and without some that Titan Eternals have. He wasn't a trade like DC's Orion and Kalibak (sp?).

I know its not cannon but a lot of the information was pulled from the Marvel Handbooks. "http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/t/thanos.htm". Go to 'Known Superhuman Powers'.

Also if you go to "www.marvelcomics.com", click on the 'Marvel Universe' link and then go through the alphabetical index to find Thanos one of the first things you see is that Titan Eternals are an off-shoot of humanity, like Homo Sapiens Superior.

"Born with a monstrous appearance and a massive body..."
"...shunned as a child for his overdeveloped form and grotesque appearance."

Mounds like a mutant to me.

..."mounds" indeed...meant "sounds".

Lord S
Originally posted by Beyonder
...Eternal Titan. He's as far off from mutant as Asgardians are. He's an Eternal Titan first and a mutant second. Both his parents are Eternals; there biology is different from humans. We don't know what extent or even any control Onslaught has over mutants of a different species, especially one that already had special gifts. Furthermore, with the implants and amping by Mistress Death, you can't be sure of anything. From what I know, Thanos has yet to be control. Heck, he even tricked Mephisto and grinned at the demon's face. And Mephisto has pulled beings like Thor into his realm before. Two points...

1. The word 'Titan' means nothing more than the fact he is from the moon Titan. It does not give him any extra powers, abilities, etc. He is referred to as 'Thanos of Titan' because he's from there.

2. He is an Eternal, yes...but an Eternal born with 'Deviant Syndrome'. So he's part Deviant, and it's widely accepted that Mutants are sort of offshoots of Deviants. In fact, Apocalypse was able to play with the DNA of a Deviant, (can't remember his name...big green guy, name starts with a 'K'...a friend of Ransak), which radically mutated him to a giant and grotesque beast to fight the Eternals. Put it all together, it is perfectly conceivable that the X-factor found in Homosapien Superior, and in Thanos of Titan, may be similar.

GalacticStorm
And what exactly is his 'own power'?

You assume to much Lord S. The Onslaught entity was embodiment of all of Magnetos angst, his frustration, his anger, his grief. When Xavier out of frustration and anger lashed out at Magneto psionically he temporarily linked his mind with Magnetos, giving that entity that was all that is dark in Magneto a chance to transfer into Xaviers mind and become one with him. Over months it became the entity we know as Onslaught. It had Magnetos powers because it originated from him, it was the embodiment of his darkside. It had Xaviers powers because Xavier connected with Magneto and the entity bonded with Xavier and gestated within his mind gaining his powers.

Onslaught was the synthesis of those two mutants. Because he derived from those of the X gene, that defined his nature, he was a mutation and throughout his lifetime he was evolving and he reached his final stage when he became an energy being at the end of the Onslaught Saga.

To manipulate reality Onslaught captured Franklin and tapped into his powers. That is how he achieved all of his major feats. There is no evidence that those powers became his own, that is your assumption. Onslaught had Xavier and Magnetos powers because he derived from them, he gestated within them for many , many months, he was one with them. He evolved because he was from those of the X gene. There is no evidence whatsoever to say that Franklins powers became his own. Until that is clearly stated then that point cannot be used in this debate credibly.

Creshosk
Franklin Richards could be seen like a power gem for Onslaught. Not part of him, but something he had that increased his power.

But most importantly, not part of him.

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by Creshosk
Franklin Richards could be seen like a power gem for Onslaught. Not part of him, but something he had that increased his power.

But most importantly, not part of him.

Im starting to like you more and more Cresh wink

apoc001
I have a feeling Onslaught takes this.

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by apoc001
I have a feeling Onslaught takes this.

Care to say why?

who?-kid
You assume to much Lord S. The Onslaught entity was embodiment of all of Magnetos angst, his frustration, his anger, his grief. When Xavier out of frustration and anger lashed out at Magneto psionically he temporarily linked his mind with Magnetos, giving that entity that was all that is dark in Magneto a chance to transfer into Xaviers mind and become one with him. Over months it became the entity we know as Onslaught. It had Magnetos powers because it originated from him, it was the embodiment of his darkside. It had Xaviers powers because Xavier connected with Magneto and the entity bonded with Xavier and gestated within his mind gaining his powers.

Onslaught was the synthesis of those two mutants. Because he derived from those of the X gene, that defined his nature, he was a mutation and throughout his lifetime he was evolving and he reached his final stage when he became an energy being at the end of the Onslaught Saga.

To manipulate reality Onslaught captured Franklin and tapped into his powers. That is how he achieved all of his major feats. There is no evidence that those powers became his own, that is your assumption. Onslaught had Xavier and Magnetos powers because he derived from them, he gestated within them for many , many months, he was one with them. He evolved because he was from those of the X gene. There is no evidence whatsoever to say that Franklins powers became his own. Until that is clearly stated then that point cannot be used in this debate credibly.
When he absorbed X-Man's powers, he didn't need him anymore and "threw" him away like he was nothing. This means he absorbed his powers completely, and didn't need him anymore.

It's not far fetched to say that the same can be said for Franklin Richards.

Oh yeah, Onslaught started as some kind of combination of Magneto/Xavier, but he "soon" became much more than that. He waltzed through the FF like they were nothing (to be precise, the FF + Hawkeye + Richards father + Lyja + Bishop + Iceman + Crystal + that huge dog whose name I forget), and this was in the "beginning" of his career as a world threatening villain.

Later he became much stronger.

GalacticStorm
"""""""""Oh yeah, Onslaught started as some kind of combination of Magneto/Xavier, but he "soon" became much more than that. He waltzed through the FF like they were nothing (to be precise, the FF + Hawkeye + Richards father + Lyja + Bishop + Iceman + Crystal + that huge dog whose name I forget), and this was in the "beginning" of his career as a world threatening villain.

Later he became much stronger.

""""""""""""""""""""""""

Im aware of all of that. None of that is in debate because it doesnt change anything.

""""""""""""""""""""""When he absorbed X-Man's powers, he didn't need him anymore and "threw" him away like he was nothing. This means he absorbed his powers completely, and didn't need him anymore.
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Incorrect. I dont recall Onslaught absorbing Xmans power and throwing him away at any point during the Onslaught saga. I have it right here in front of me. Here a little quote:

""""""I come from a world overrun by a madman named Apocalypse. Onslaught admires that world. Now he's tapping into our powers in order to make this one just like it or worse."""

Onslaught as he performed his feats and right up until the point where he was defeated was drawing on the power of his two captives. He never absorbed them and took their powers as his own. That is the reason he kept them captive. He needed them. Whether Onslaught could have absorbed their powers is unknown and as such cant be used as a point in this debate. All we know for certain is precisely what i stated in my previous post.

As it stands Thanos wins.

the Darkone
In a good battle thanos comes out on top. Thanos as eternal can increase his abilities at will making him stronger than before, thanos has fough tyrant, odin, galactus, silver surfer, elders of the universe, adam warlock, the list goes on. Thanos wil make onslaught his lap dog.

Magic_attack
I wouldnt say make him his lap dog. But Thanos would win.

Creshosk
Onslaught as he performed his feats and right up until the point where he was defeated was drawing on the power of his two captives. He never absorbed them and took their powers as his own. That is the reason he kept them captive. He needed them. Whether Onslaught could have absorbed their powers is unknown and as such cant be used as a point in this debate. All we know for certain is precisely what i stated in my previous post.

As it stands Thanos wins. That's a good point. In this story they "killed off" the avengers, the FF and the hulk. . . no reason why he shouldn't have absorbed and discarded Nate and Franklin if he could absorb their powers permenantly. Because as I said since he "killed" the other aforementioned characters no reason why he shouldn't do the same to FR and NG. . .

yahman
That's a good point. In this story they "killed off" the avengers, the FF and the hulk. . . no reason why he shouldn't have absorbed and discarded Nate and Franklin if he could absorb their powers permenantly. Because as I said since he "killed" the other aforementioned characters no reason why he shouldn't do the same to FR and NG. . .

So we are really only talking about a character who has siphoned the powers of Charles Xavier and Magneto ?

smile

If that is the case it becomes a far clsoer affiar, But is still give the advantage to Onslaught. During his short appearnace he was verry impressive.

Creshosk
Originally posted by yahman
So we are really only talking about a character who has siphoned the powers of Charles Xavier and Magneto ? Yes basically.

Originally posted by yahman
smile

If that is the case it becomes a far clsoer affiar, But is still give the advantage to Onslaught. During his short appearnace he was verry impressive. But thanos has done things that are more impressive. . . he took on a couple of class 100s at the same time. . . he stomps Silver surfer, and he manages to not get put down by Odin in Asguard.

Taking out the Avengers, FF and Hulk don't seem as impressive compared to what I've seen Thanos do.

yahman
Yes basically.

But thanos has done things that are more impressive. . . he took on a couple of class 100s at the same time. . . he stomps Silver surfer, and he manages to not get put down by Odin in Asguard.

Taking out the Avengers, FF and Hulk don't seem as impressive compared to what I've seen Thanos do.

Ahh but he must have taken out Nate and Fraklin at some point aswell?

None of those Class 100 characters has ever been close to knocking Juggernuaght several miles. None of those characters has ever made Juggernaugh scared.

I would rather fight the Surfer than the combined might of the FF4, Avengers (including Thor) and the Hulk.

He wasn't put down but he was beaten. smile smile

leonidas
ahh, an old classic. my gift to you, demi.

wink

heheh. like you didn't have ENOUGH to read . . . .

interestingly enough cresh and gs were saying thanos wins. as were a number of others . . .

King KAM
Thanos.....

LordKaos
Onslaught was not in possession of Franklin or Nate when he trapped Juggernaut in the Gem from which his powers derived, and let's not forget that trick Xavier learned when nate tore him from the astral plane, stands to reason that Onslaught, who could physically snatch people from the real world onto the astral plane (jean grey) could do the same to Thanos and fight him there and since the two dimensions overlap they would not be technically leaving the battlefield. Onslaught was siphoning psionic energy from across the galaxy (actions which were destroying the astral equivalent of earth). One could also assume that Onslaught could give his thoughtforms substance the same way he was given substance, without Franklin. Whatever! strength and energy blasts ain't doing it, his armour is just that, armour! he is a being of psionic energy. True Thanos can't be killed because of Death, but Onslaught is not a biological entity, a life-form but not biological seems he's outside of deaths realm too, unless there are some solely psionic energy beings she's taken that i don't know about. In his final form Onslaught became one with perception, Thanos is mad, crazy people are deemed so because they subscribe to a false perception of reality the rest of us don't. I say a creature who becomes one with perception and has Xaivers psychiatric prowess would prove very effective against Thanos

K Von Doom
Originally posted by LordKaos
True Thanos can't be killed because of Death, but Onslaught is not a biological entity, a life-form but not biological seems he's outside of deaths realm too

If he's alive, he's well within Death's power.

long pig
Thanos is a corn fed ****, just like Superman!
http://www.corvusonline.net/thanos/history24.jpg

leonidas
<<Onslaught was siphoning psionic energy from across the galaxy>>

proof? scan?

Eternity
Onslaught would own thanos especially with the power of ff didnt nate and hulk beat thanos?

Eternity
Onslaught would own thanos especially with the power of ff didnt hulk and nate beat thanos?

kgkg
Originally posted by Eternity
Onslaught would own thanos especially with the power of ff didnt hulk and nate beat thanos? What the f**k?
FF? fantastic Four?

didn't nate and Hulk beat Thanos? nope

leonidas
<<didnt nate and hulk beat thanos?>>

no, they engaged him with an attack similar to the the one where hulk fought onslaught -- hulk's strength was augmented by nate and they basically held him off long enough to chase him away.

but i agree -- onslaught would beat thanos.

LordKaos
don't have a scan of him doing it check out Cable issue #35 when Cable and Apocalypse went to the astral plane to "rescue" Franklin and Apocalypse wondered if Onslaught knew the damage he was causing the universe as psionic energy from across the astral plane solar system was converging on earth due to his actions.

leonidas
don't have a scan of him doing it check out Cable issue #35 when Cable and Apocalypse went to the astral plane to "rescue" Franklin and Apocalypse wondered if Onslaught knew the damage he was causing the universe as psionic energy from across the astral plane solar system was converging on earth due to his actions.

cool, i'll check it out. smile

leonheartmm
ONSLAUGHT!

Beyonder
didnt nate and hulk beat thanos?

A Thanos clone.

leonidas
Originally posted by Beyonder
A Thanos clone.

was it? i don't recall that. but i DID remember there was something fishy about that. did you say who would win, b? onslaught or thanos?

King KAM
was it? i don't recall that. but i DID remember there was something fishy about that. did you say who would win, b? onslaught or thanos? thanos's clones arent anywhere near him, and onslaught is a mutant, no mutant is near thanos, ever.

LordKaos
Onslaught is not a mutant he is a psionic lifeform born from mutants, that's why mutants could not merge with is form without feeding him. People only called him a mutant because they thought he was Xaiver gone mad.

King KAM
Onslaught is not a mutant he is a psionic lifeform born from mutants, that's why mutants could not merge with is form without feeding him. People only called him a mutant because they thought he was Xaiver gone mad. whatever the hell he is hes no thanos.

LordKaos
Thanos is no Thanos anymore. Onslaught mind rapes him to find out what makes him what he is and uses it against him.

King KAM
Thanos is no Thanos anymore. Onslaught mind rapes him to find out what makes him what he is and uses it against him. if profeser X is scared of thanos' mind, then how will onslaught do it???

LordKaos
Onslaught is not Xavier, he was an amalgam of the worst qualities in Xavier and Magneto, both of whom are more arrogant than arrogance itself which is why Onslaught feared nothing. Anything that resembled fear was merely shock, which was caused by his arrogance, he was shocked that anyone would defy him.

the Darkone
What the f**k?Thanos is no Thanos anymore. What the f**k? Onslaught mind rapes him to find out what makes him what he is and uses it against him.

No one has been ability to mind rape thanos, Thanos is one of the hardest to penatrate. Thanos can increase his mind powers at will making impossible to read, Onslaught will have hard time finding whaat make thanos tick. And since he's been upgraded by death it's even harder.

the Darkone
Last time I check onslaught isn't onslayght anymore. Thanos has thrown down with top beings in the universe and live to tell about and conquer the universe at least twice, what has onlsaught done to make us say he can fight thanos one of the most powerful non-abstract beings in the universe, onslaught couldn't even get pass earth heroes even they didn't have their top people fighting onslaught.

tiakocom
man i knw logic doenst apply to fanboy anymore but comeon...who would really think the combined powers of mag and prof x can match thanos? its pure stupid

LordKaos
Onslaught never tried to read his mind so your point is moot. Onslaughts has none of Xaviers fears or hangups nor is he hampered by becoming exhausted from a sustained telepathic intrusion. Eternals are virtually tireless but only physically, sooner or later psi-shield cave.

LordKaos
i'm no fanboy of either but to simply say Thanos can win because he is Thanos is stupid. Magneto can control any energy a eternal can control, magnetism is the easiest for him to control without straining himself, Onslaught being a non-physical being is no longer hampered by Magnetos limitations either

the Darkone
Thanos powers don't fade or weaken at all, Thanos has awesome endurance, durability and will keep on fighting. Thanos can manipulate any form of energy at will, absorbs any form of energy, can project comic and energy plasma and can fuse them into one devastating blast. Since he's been upgrade he's even more powerful than before fought a skyfather "Odin" into a stalemate, fighting a cosmic being that is on a skyfahter level in tyrant, kosmos (tru beyonder), Galactus, The magus, silver surfer, in-betweener, grand master, the runner, the champion, captain marvel, warrior madness thor, list goes on.

Mental powers won't work on thanos at all, onslaught will not last against thanos who always has a plan even for somebody like onslaught.

LordKaos
look the abstracts of the universe fear earth mutants because they will evolve and replace said abstracts, Onslaught was among the beings that they feared, why because he evolved from mutants and became godlike. magento and xavier were lightning rods of activity, i bet onslaught really made them stand out, i don't remeber them being afraid of thanos without the I.G. and his awesome durability and endurance are physical attributes.

the Darkone
Thanos powers are greater than you think, any way thanos still wins.

Thanos= one bad mofo

LordKaos
every time you say he wins it's based purely on some physical power he has, but once he gets past he armor then what?

the Darkone
Thanos greatest strength is high intelligences. One of the smartest beings in the universe. Thanos beats you mentally not physically.

leonheartmm
too bad his intelligence wont do shit in this matchup, thanos loses.

who?-kid
Onslaught is way beyond Thanos. I don't know if he's stronger, but I know he can make himself as strong as he wants to be (that's what he said when Thing was punching him with all he's got, and Onslaught didn't even feel it).

And Onslaught is much much more than only the combined powers of Xavier and Magneto... he had a shitload of other powers too.

cheldon

thanos is immune to most psycic attacks. plus he has infinate strength

GODSCRIBE
I'd love to see this one. Close fight, but Thanos has the upperhand with his experience and vastly superior knowledge.

leonidas
ahh, a classic. smile after all this time i STILL don't know for sure who i think would win. it was fun playing devil's advocate against gs though . . . shifty

cyberborg84
Wow...the sheer Thanos wankery in this thread stinks.

leonidas
Originally posted by cyberborg84
Wow...the sheer Thanos wankery in this thread stinks.

laughing out loud

there was a little of that, but some good points raised both ways as well. i still think it's a good match.

Mr Marvel
quote: (post)
Originally posted by iceman24567
On paper Onslaught should be wicked but he fights like a little *****.

I agree!

If you just go based on the powersets, than Reality Warpers will win everytime (literally their only limitations are their range of influence(planet,galaxy,universal,etc) and Knowledge/ability to wield there powers effectively)

However in regards to Onslaught he has proven that he can not effectively wield his powers in a manner that will allow him to defeat an opponent of Thanos' caliber.

While Thanos has proven time and again that he is capable of fighting an opponent who trumps him in any specific area, due to his versatility.

In this battle the powers of Xavier,Magneto & X-man are a non factor, this is a battle between Franklin Richards & Thanos. And While I feel that Frank has the ABILITY to defeat most people,I feel that he doesn't have the required experience nor imagination to beat Thanos.

PS-I am not exactly sure but doesn't Franklin have mental blocks to prevent him from accessing all of his power.

PS-Thanos is highly resistance to Reality, Matter, Energy Manipulation ,etc.

FearOfBlood
Onslaught is celestial level.
Thanos got killed by the weakest version of Drax.
No contest: Onslaught 10 out of 10.

Mr Marvel
Originally posted by FearOfBlood

That is utter nonsense!

Onslaught isn't Celestial level.

Drax was literally created to kill Thanos, and as such is his "Silver Bullet"

cyberborg84
Franklin Richards is a part of Onslaught, and as anyone who reads FF should know, Frank is right up there with the Celestials in terms of powerlevel. In theory, Onslaught *should* be Celestial level. Closest feats he has towards that are creating a second sun and raising his massive citadel in the middle of NYC.

With Frank and X-Man a part of him, I'd wholeheartedly give Onslaught 10/10, easily, at the very least 9/10. He's definitely on the same par as depowered Tyrant, and look at how Thanos did against him. The very fact Thanos stood up to him was impressive, but it was clear he wasn't going to beat Tyrant. Same case with Onslaught, only he has potential far greater power at his disposal.

id369
Problem is, Onslaught was not accessing the full potential of X-Man or FR. Yes its power incremented, yet he did not achieve its full glory.

And despite that, Thanos with FR and X-Man beats Thanos.

iceman24567
Like i said on paper he should dominate anybody at Thanos level but he probably wouldn't.

Bad Ash231

roll eyes (sarcastic)

iceman24567
No contest: Onslaught 10 out of 10. That logic fails as always because Captain America has knocked the Hulk down before does that mean Cap can slug it out with Thor? eek!

rotiart
Originally posted by iceman24567
That logic fails as always because Captain America has knocked the Hulk down before does that mean Cap can slug it out with Thor? eek!

.... Yes... yes it does...

what... embarrasment don't look at me that way.. Thor loves cap.. he'd probably take the fight to Doc Blake levels big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.