Comic Books childish??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dark Thor
Now im not calling Marvel and DC childish, but my friend said that comic books are immature and lame. "Aren't you guys a little bit old for superpowers and superheroes?" said my friend. I agree with him a little bit, but how come a lot of teens still like it? im curious

CorderaMitchell
Its all about the stories, how many people like harry potter?

Or good art, even if its something like winnie the pooh?

Comics are fine man..

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Dark Thor
Now im not calling Marvel and DC childish, but my friend said that comic books are immature and lame. "Aren't you guys a little bit old for superpowers and superheroes?" said my friend. I agree with him a little bit, but how come a lot of teens still like it? im curious

A lot of people out of their teans like comics not all are written for children. Ask scoobs he is a big fan of Supreme Power for its boobies yes

CorderaMitchell
Or powergirl...

ScarletSpider
The superpowers and capes are just icing on the cake. I like action and intrigue stuff. Priest's Black Panther was a great title for that, plenty of action, political intrigue and manipulation, and he just happens to be wearing a kitty suit. Go figure.

Whirlysplatt
And sometimes like Death high cost of living etc no costume is required smile

CorderaMitchell
I'll always like the turtles...

willRules
Comics are as only as childish as those who miss out on reading them........................

Red Superfly
Anyone that disregards comic books as childish is usually someone who is an insecure child themselves.

havok801125
Its just a matter of opinion.....personally i don't care what ppl think.... to me it is an enjoyable hobby....other ppl like gardening.....tennis etc....I like comics and theres nothing wrong with that

HigH ScholaR
I Don't think comics are childish if they were why would there be the max line up, vertigo. Some people believe comics are childish from the way their portrayed mostly in media where a typical child is shown reading a comic then someone goes in and says ain't you a bit old for this.

but it is just people's opinion (maybe becuse it has more pictures but that's what makes it a comic ) i see mostly children buying harry potter yet its not really classifed as childish as perhaps it has more widespread attention and is a NOVEL.

havok801125
Anyway if comic books were childish why would ppl waste there money making all these high budget movies about them if only children are gonna see them

HigH ScholaR
I agree with havol801125 that was exacly what i was thinking.

to add to that have you noticed that some celebrities get or customise things with comic character imprints ie superman logo on their car or even (bed i wonder why?)

BENITO
Comic books aren't for kids well most aren't now is this dude saying that children under stand the complicated story lines in X-men or can handle the dark and Sinsiter Spawn or even get most of the jokes in Spider-man or TMNT

Lord S
Saying comic books are childish is like saying the Simpsons or South Park is childish cause they're cartoons.

Logan 87
And family guy, aqua hunger thing. Ok I see no different, between a comic book, particularly the punisher, and a rambo movie. No costume, thats all.

SnakeEyes
I'm fifteen and I've been reading comics since I was six... I don't think people who think they're lame/dumb understand that comics can have complex plots and excellent characters/storylines.

Logan 87
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I'm fifteen and I've been reading comics since I was six... I don't think people who think they're lame/dumb understand that comics can have complex plots and excellent characters/storylines.

They think its for nerds, and stuff like that.

CorderaMitchell
Originally posted by Logan 87
They think its for nerds, and stuff like that.

Just like you think women are for perverts?

Logan 87
Originally posted by CorderaMitchell
Just like you think women are for perverts?

You never stay on topic do you. Go drool and call woman bad things, Oh her **** are huge blah blah ass ,blah I would like to do her. Do you know how bad you sound. Go ahead then.

pr1983
You never stay on topic do you. Go drool and call woman bad things, Oh her **** are huge blah blah ass ,blah I would like to do her. Do you know how bad you sound. Go ahead then.

Dude you have issues... calm down...

Dark Thor
what pr said, calm down

Logan 87
Originally posted by pr1983
Dude you have issues... calm down...

Cordera is the one that brought it up, yet again in another thread, witch is not the topic. No I don'y have issues, so relax

pr1983
Cordera is the one that brought it up, yet again in another thread, witch is not the topic. No I don'y have issues, so relax

You do, coming out with al this 'disrespectful' stuff... they arent real women, its not sexist so why does it bother you so much?

Logan 87
You do, coming out with al this 'disrespectful' stuff... they arent real women, its not sexist so why does it bother you so much?

He brought it up in this forum that has nothing to do with that.

There not real woman, so why they talking like that. Oh her this and that makes me want to that, and She is so this I would'nt mind that.

pr1983
Because they are attractive... women that good looking don't exist in reality...

Nothing wrong with fantasizing...

CorderaMitchell

I've never said any of that...

Take your sexual frustations somewhere else.. oh I forgot, wolverine is your only love....

CorderaMitchell
He brought it up in this forum that has nothing to do with that.

There not real woman, so why they talking like that. Oh her this and that makes me want to that, and She is so this I would'nt mind that.

Where have I said this?

I told you to leave if you didn't like it, because you whine about something you can't change...

Dark Thor
LMAO

CorderaMitchell
Indeed...

Whirlysplatt
If anyone thinks comics are for kids show them this, Miracleman 15 the issue that redefined comics, pure evil. Lil Johnny Bates what a Bastard!:-(Originally posted by Whirlysplatt
This is miracleman 15 final splash page

http://img310.imageshack.us/img310/8690/miracleman15clip21ef.th.jpg

Originally posted by Whirlysplatt
Jonny Bates a guy with Superpowers very similair to Superman had been "playing for a few hours in london check this out;

http://img310.imageshack.us/img310/1957/miracleman15clip19wv.th.jpg

yahman
LMAO

What does this mean by the way? Everyone uses it and im just confused. confused

Any way sorry Guys there's no getting around it we are all childish!!!!!!!

And you know it? How many of you try to hide the fact you like comics from your friends?

How many of you who talk to your Girlfriends about comics? Howmany of you hide your comics when you think your going to have a lucky nite?

I do. I'm ashamed of myself, but its true. smile

Dark Thor
lmao is laughing my arse off. when u see lmfao, it means laughing my ****ing arse off

bilb
Because they are attractive... women that good looking don't exist in reality...

mad mad mad mad mad

thats not nice sad

ANYWAY, i think people like Jerry Seinfeld and Kevin Smith have made comics more mainstream, making them legit in a sense.. i think comics are alot more accepted now than they used to be
(and anyone who says comics are childish, i'll thank them to give me every dime they spent on going to see every Batman/Spderman/Xmen/etc.. movie cause you KNOW they all went)

jacobo0o
alot of people that i know.. dont think comic book are childish
they think its stupid to get into, waist of time, and a waist of money.
but i dont care what they say because reading comic books and going online to kmc is just for fun and its like a hobby
i use to think that comic book was childish and stupid
until i bought like 2 comic books, and then next week i bought 5 and then next week i bought even more!!
i want to go buy some right now
the only bad thing i see in comic book is that they are addictive!!!
and i started reading comic book like a month ago and i am 18
and no i am not a ****** or nerd , i have a girl friend and we go
out party and drink

ayjay
they way i see it...comic books are an outlet. An escape from reality perhaps? Or maybe..just maybe..it's freekin fun to read em! I love drawing, and all that, for me, reading comics is half about the plot/story..and half about the artwork. Ppl who say comcis are childish have obviosly never read anything past archie or casper....I doubt that half of these 'mature' ppl that find comics 'childish' wouldn't even be able to follow some of the more complexed and well thought plots. If they took the time ti read them, they;d find that some of the plots are as interwoven, complex and thrilling as some good thriller movies, and tv shows. Tell me, how the hell is a 5 year old child supposed to even comprehend the basics of some of the weirdo scientific stuff some of these comics have...i read one issue of fantastic four, and i can only hypothesis on the propsitions he makes about random sceince stuff..its just interesting.....hooray for comics!

Creshosk
http://www.theage.com.au/news/Film/Spiderman-creator-nets-multimillion-payday/2005/01/20/1106110874065.html

Yeah real childish. . .

ayjay
aww....maayn..dats sad...i can understand why lee would be sad....it's like takin out a lawsuit against your own kid.....but face...da guys an absolute legend.....and now he's worht millions....i say..good on him...spidey and x-men were wat got me into comics...and for them...i thank you mr lee.....^_^

Amber1010
I'm not sure if anyone still reads this forum (cross my fingers that they do) but I just joined this site just then to understand peoples opnions about comic books and school..do you think they should put comic books in as a part of their pety literature teachings? (Oh yeah, I defiently disagree with whoever says comic books are "childish". It's a form of art in my books, and how the hell can that be immature, anyways, I push all of you to read Neil Gaimens, The Sandman series, VERY good comic series, elaborate and nothing like you've probably read before..) ANYWHO, I want to know your opinions on bringing comics in school, it's banned in mine, which is sad. They try and analize visuals for us AND pick apart stories, so why not kill two birds with one stone hey? Well, I really want to know what you the people think. Just e-mail me your responses please.

e-mail - [email protected]

wink Thanks.

Mindship
Comics are about exercising the imagination, and as Einstein said, imagination is more important than intellect.
Those who call them childish have long since lost touch with their inner child and tend to be all caught up with "adult, important things," like buying the new car to impress friends.

mr.smiley
Just imagine if Stan Lee or Chris Claremont or Frank Millars writings could be taken back to ancient Greece or Rome.They would be considered spiritual classics and our superheros would be in the same league as Zeus or Aphrodite.However,their's still a lot of people out their that think comics are strickly for kids.It's sad realy.

Knightfall93
Yeah! The Sacred Cult of the Bat and the Legion of the Lantern and the Holy Peoples o ye Olde Flash!

Lord Magnus
People just think that comics are childish cause they don't read comics cause they think they're childish cause they don't read comics cause they think they're childish cause they don't read comics cause they think they're childish cause they don't read comics cause they think they're childish cause they don't read comics cause they think they're childish cause they don't read comics cause they think they're childish cause they don't read comics cause they think they're childish cause they don't read comics cause they think they're childish. It's our job to break the chain by spreading truth. In other words, whine nerdily. Comics aren't childish. Not in the slightest. People just follow the cliche of "Golly-gee-gosh! We have to buy our toy line before that blimp reaches city hall! And you can help, kids..."

leonheartmm
Originally posted by Lord Magnus
People just think that comics are childish cause they don't read comics cause they think they're childish cause they don't read comics cause they think they're childish cause they don't read comics cause they think they're childish cause they don't read comics cause they think they're childish cause they don't read comics cause they think they're childish cause they don't read comics cause they think they're childish cause they don't read comics cause they think they're childish cause they don't read comics cause they think they're childish. It's our job to break the chain by spreading truth. In other words, whine nerdily. Comics aren't childish. Not in the slightest. People just follow the cliche of "Golly-gee-gosh! We have to buy our toy line before that blimp reaches city hall! And you can help, kids..."

wow thas not childish at all.

King KAM
Comics book cant be childish simply because, they use words to difficult for children to understand, and they show adult themes often, and they cost money, unless a kid has a job, its gonna be hard to be a steady reader.

Scoobless

ahhh.... I remember when i was a teenager.... Immature??? tell your friend to go f**k himself!!!

smile

Spawnrules
ok dudes comic book are not childish, for example, thanos is a dude on big rampage this is not childish, next is spawn damn he has a lot of violence, the other is thor, he is a god on a rampage, then theres saint of killers, killed god (WTF), and finally theres the chicks, so many chicks are exposed only little clothes cover there skin.

so yeah its not bad, and it helps your vocbulary, and maybr gets you interrested in science, if you read the fantastic four youd see that reed says all these cool words. but spectre is just cool, the wrath of god now you know.

DigiMark007
It's like any great art form...i can be for childrren OR adults. Hand an English professor a collection of Sandman comics and see if he tells you comics are always childish. There's as much in those as there is in any great novel, story, poem, or artwork.

Stan Lee has addressed this himself as well, saying that great art, writing, characters, etc. make it at least as worthwhile as any other form of art.

Fight the ignorance! smile

Spawnrules
whats the point of talking if the guy is band

Scoobless
Originally posted by Spawnrules
whats the point of talking if the guy is band

Because it's still a relevant topic that comic readers are faced with fairly often

Spawnrules
ok

FOOM
When comics began they were, what I would deem, childish. As the years passed and their fans aged, writers and their companies had to choose between trying to appeal to a new generation of youngsters or writing SLIGHTLY more sophisticated material. Every so often the writing matured as the comic readers did.
Comics that chose, instead, to continue to market to young children (Richie Rich, Casper, etc.) did alright, but in the superhero genre, those that didn't upscale their material, failed.
Today, some comics are at a level of quality that could be deemed good literature, some are not... this occurs in all art forms.
I no longer buy comic cooks; not because they aren't worthy of my attention, rather they've become too d*#n expensive.

I have written essays attempting to validate the graphic novel and comic book stroylines as a respectable art form and mentioned it lectures. I am an English professor.

FOOM
Now, drop the topic. I want to get back to having some fun.

Lord Rock
Lets be honest... Comics are childish. But it doesnt matter if we just like them, does it? Actually, i dont like the art in american comics, the fights are too boring, i just like too see the different characters and their powers come to test. I like spawn, example, because it shows his inner conflicts and inner fight between good and evil. He just have powers to make his decision important for us humans. THATS what i see in comic books.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.