greatest wizard/witches in the HP books

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sasee tiin
who do you think is the greatest (not only fighting, but wisdom, potions, occlumency etc.) of the wizard/witches alive in at least one of PS, COS, POA, GOF, OOTP, HBP.

make a list of top five, good or evil.

here's mine
1. Dumbledore- simply the best
2. Voldemort- nr. 1 in evil
3. Snape (!)- the most important for both DD and LV.
4. Bellatrix Lestrange- "know spells of such power that Harry can never hope to compete...
5. Sirius- don't know why!!

nick1811
^ that list is probably right, dumbledore is easily the best, then obviously voldemort and then snape because he's such a good occlumens, not sure who would be in 4th and 5th though...

Clovie
Voldemort. DD is dead afterall

sasee tiin
but do you think LV was more powerful in OOTP?

Clovie
ootp? huh

Stealth_Knight
Originally posted by Clovie
ootp? huh
Order of the Phoenix.

anyway:

Book I: Dumbledore
Book II: Dumbledore
Book III: Dumbledore
Book IV: Snape
Book V: Snape
Book VI: Voldemort

Saratn
My top five are:
Dumbledore
The Dark Lord
Snape (which he is good)
Mad Eye Moody
Harry

sasee tiin
i really forgot Slufghorn....he seems quite knowledgeable...i think he will help harry during his hunt for the horcruxes.

Darth Macabre
I think JKR made Voldemort look like a fool in OOTP. I mean any old evil wizard could throw killing curses all over the place like he did. He showed no real knowledge like Dumbledore showed.

1- Dumbledore
2-Voldemort
3-Snape-to me hes the most powerful member (henchmen) of Deatheaters and the order. I mean Harry couldnt even touch the guy, thats how out matched he was.
4-Bellatrix- beacuse she "Killed" Sirius.
5- Sirius- only person to escape Azkaban. That has to count for something.

Darth Macabre
Sorry for the Doublepost my mistake.

Syren
Dumbledore, for his honesty, integrity and ability.
Lord Voldemort, he's very obviously powerful and extremely focused.
Sirius, because he's passionate and he escaped Azkaban.
Snape, he's also capable of great shows of power.
McGonogall, excellent at Transfiguration, amongst other things.

hotsauce6548
1) Dumbledore

2) Voldemort

3) Snape

4) Bellatrix

5) McGonagall

Syren
Someone else who appreciates McGonogall big grin Did I spell that wrong?

hotsauce6548
Originally posted by Syren
Someone else who appreciates McGonogall big grin Did I spell that wrong?

thumb up

I doubt she would be Deputy Headmistriss for nothing...

Coonskin 13
Dumbledore (if he wasn't dead)
Voldemort
McGonagal
Mad Eye Moody
Bellatrix
Sirius (if he wasn't dead)
Lupin
Kingsly shacklebolt
Snape
Harry
Hermione
Scrimagegorer
Bill

Hermione202
I notice hardly any one puts harry . He escaped Voldermort twice ! shouldn't that count ? anyways , My top 5 :

1)Dumbledore(good
2)Voldermort (evil)
3)Harry(good
4)Snape(evil)
5)McGonagall(good)

Originally posted by sasee tiin
i really forgot Slufghorn....he seems quite knowledgeable...i think he will help harry during his hunt for the horcruxes.

JK wouldn't just bring him in the books and take him out , would she ? hes there for a reason

Originally posted by Coonskin 13
Voldemort
McGonagal
Mad Eye Moody
Bellatrix
Lupin
Kingsly shacklebolt
Snape
Harry
Hermione
Scrimagegorer
Bill
so many ?

sasee tiin
Voldemort
McGonagal
Mad Eye Moody
Bellatrix
Lupin
Kingsly shacklebolt
Snape
Harry
Hermione
Scrimagegorer
Bill

with a so big list you should at least put slughorn in, i think many underestimates him.

Syren
I can't call Slughorn great erm He kinda reminds me of a slightly more capable Lockhart laughing out loud

But I would like to add Moody to my list yes

sasee tiin
yeah, and i also think that some of the aurors, dawlish i think, though defeated easily of DD, is more skilled than bill...on the other side, bill will be quite dangerous nowwink

hotsauce6548
Voldemort
McGonagal
Mad Eye Moody
Bellatrix
Lupin
Kingsly shacklebolt
Snape
Harry
Hermione
Scrimagegorer
Bill

Five.

cassi scott
Originally posted by Hermione202
I notice hardly any one puts harry . He escaped Voldermort twice ! shouldn't that count ? anyways , My top 5 :

1)Dumbledore(good
2)Voldermort (evil)
3)Harry(good
4)Snape(evil)
5)McGonagall(good)

JK wouldn't just bring him in the books and take him out , would she ? hes there for a reason

so many ?

TheSun
James and Lilly Potter were pretty good.

sasee tiin
but not alive at any point from SS/PS...

Darth Macabre
I think the most clever person in all of the books was Barty Crouch Jr. I mean think about it, Harry's probably the most dense person in that book, but yet he still gave Harry the hints for him to win. I mean he played everyone for a fool, for merlins sake he was right under Dumbledores nose, and the old man didnt have a clue.

cheers.

sasee tiin
he was skilled, yes, but quirrel too was able to fool DD, and he wasn't that great....
barty seemed to me as the third most skilled DE, behind Snape and lestrange.

Darth Macabre
he was skilled, yes, but quirrel too was able to fool DD, and he wasn't that great....
barty seemed to me as the third most skilled DE, behind Snape and lestrange.

The Quirrel part is true but you must remember he had Voldemort on the back of his head. Meaning he had all of Voldemorts knowledge, skill, ie: Occlumency.

But I do agree with you about Snape and Lestrange.

Cheers.

sasee tiin
cheers to you too Macabrewink

Coonskin 13
Also what about Flitwik? It mentions a couple times in OotP that he is a very skilled wizard.

Darth Macabre
Wasn't he a dueling champion or something?

sasee tiin
Flitwick seems to physically weak to me and he's not member of the order as far as i know, so I don't think that he is one of the very best IMO.

Darth Macabre
Flitwick seems to physically weak to me and he's not member of the order as far as i know, so I don't think that he is one of the very best IMO.

Hm why isnt he a part of the order? I dont really get that, I mean he seems like a trust worthy fellow, so whats up?

hmm oh well cheers.

sasee tiin
I generally wonder why not more people are in the order, I'm sure most of the wizards/witches will get rid of LV....

Coonskin 13
Flitwick seems to physically weak to me and he's not member of the order
SO?! the OotP aren't the only strong wizards. And about being physicallly strong? Dumbledore would lose to Hagrid in a fist-fight, but whos the beter wizard?

sasee tiin
SO?! the OotP aren't the only strong wizards. And about being physicallly strong? Dumbledore would lose to Hagrid in a fist-fight, but whos the beter wizard?

remember, DD has several times surprised harry with his strength.
Physical strength is also quite important, when being hit by a spell, flitwickwould certainly be more damaged than a strong guy.

hcfong
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
Hm why isnt he a part of the order? I dont really get that, I mean he seems like a trust worthy fellow, so whats up?

hmm oh well cheers.

members of the order are wizards who have fought voldemort. so it's not an issue of how good or powerful a wizard someone is but whether someone fought voldemort that determines if someone is a member of the order.

sasee tiin
sure???
I think it is possible to join the order without having fought voldemort.
Has for example molly or billy fought him?

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by hcfong
members of the order are wizards who have fought voldemort. so it's not an issue of how good or powerful a wizard someone is but whether someone fought voldemort that determines if someone is a member of the order.

not to be rude or anything but, that has nothing to do with what i said. I was asking why he wasnt in the order, I said nothing about him being powerful.

alma negra
my list would be like Hermione202's. i think hermione can one day be a great witch.

darthsith19
1. Dumbledore - Though with Harry's mother's blood to protect him Voldemort is pratically tied, Dumbledore found out about the Horcruxes and already thinks he knows what all of them are. He is, no doubt about it, the smartest wizard/witch
2. Voldemort - who else?
3. Snape - By HBP Harry is very strong, yet he couldn't even harm Snape. Snape fooled Dumbledore.
4. Quirrell - He fooled Dumbledore, nearly stole the Sorcerer's Stone from Hogwarts and would have stole it from Gringott's had Hagrid not took it out. Now, it's supposed to be impossible for someone to steal something from Gringott's and the stone was in a top security vault. Yet he would have stole it had it been there. At the Quidditch match Quirrell nearly had Harry off his broom, even with Snape trying to keep Harry on the broom, which suggests that Quirrell is stronger than Snape. However, I will say by HPB Snape is stronger than Quirrell.
5. Bellatrix Lestrange - She easily beat OOTP Harry. She also beat Sirius and Kingsley. Before fighting her Kingsley had beat 2 Death Eaters at the same time.

People who deserve honorable mentions: Flitwick, Rufus, McGonagall, Sirius, Lupin, Kingsle, Amelia Bones and Barty Crouch Jr.

vaya_the_elf
1.Dumbledore
2.Voldermort
3.Snape
4.Lupin
5.McGonagall(good)
6. Harry
7. Sirus

Sorry could not narrow it down
8. Hermione

Saratn
getting back to Flitwick...he was a dueling champion so he is a capable wizard. He could be in the Order, it just never says. all because Flitwick isn't like Dumbledore or Hagrid, doesn't mean anything. it just means that they could win...but it also takes swiftness and ability to trick even the smartest people...like Snape when he fool the Dark Lord/Dumbledore, or when Quirrel tricked Dumbledore. they weren't physically strong, but had enough to trick the two most smartest wizard's. so you can't really cross off Flitwick yet...look at Ginny. she isn't physically strong as the others but she has mean hexes.

JimMorrison227
1. Dumbledore
2. Voldemort
3. Flitwick
4. Bellatrix
5. McGonagal

Flitwick, I swear in the next book....He is gonna surprise EVERYONE.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.