which duel...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

smashbro203
Which duel did you guys like better: the Obi/Qui/Maul duel or a duel in ROTS?

Lord Matreid
Hmmm...

They are pretty close for me but I like the Obi-Wan vs. Anakin one the best.

((The_Anomaly))
Obi/ Anakin by far.

"The Duel" rules!

Lil Krueger
Hell no, TPM duels are the best!

Lord Matreid
Originally posted by Lil Krueger
Hell no, TPM duels are the best!

You think that because you suck...schmoll

stick out tongue

Padawan
Absolutely! big grin

Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
Obi/ Anakin by far.

"The Duel" rules!

Ast Rofan
I have to go with THE DUEL, not only because they were moving at an unbelievable speed, but the emotional weight it carried.

Captain REX
The Duel, by far. Obi-Wan trying to prevent Anakin from a reign of terror, while simultaneously fighting what he considers his brother.

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, fighting side by side, against some creepy looking bastard, does not carry as much emotion.

THE DUEL.

McCusto
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
Obi/ Anakin by far.

"The Duel" rules!

jerlark386
Is this a rhetorical question?

Captain REX
Apparently.

bilb
BoTH from ROTS definitely.... HIYA REX!!! smile

Darth_fury
Originally posted by Ast Rofan
I have to go with THE DUEL, not only because they were moving at an unbelievable speed, but the emotional weight it carried. true, very true

bobcrickett
The Duel. No doubt.

Will-one Kenobi
Obi/Qui-gon vs Maul was good but not as good as ROTS duels mainly because they have more emotion and quips starwars

umraaan
anakin and obi wan definitely!!!

Stunrun
But if Ewan and Hayden were both professionals like Ray Park - imagine how much better the fight would've beeneek! - but regardless, the better of the twowink

you'd laugh if you knew what my fav duel wassadstick out tongue

jabbar
what is ti dude? don't tell me it's old obi vs. vader in ep IV...?

Captain REX
The old Obi vs. Vader in Ep4 rocks my socks!

Ast Rofan
It doesnt really affect my socks, but the original duel is still great. stick out tongue

Captain REX
Even if it is slow. The slowness is not what is great. stick out tongue

b-dan
i like the ani vs obie one lll it had it gave me the excited feeling like whn i saw maul and quigon and i liked it way more

((The_Anomaly))
how could you not be excited!!!!

that makes no sense at all.....

The Duel was the fight we had been waiting for for so long now, its was meant to be the most epic and emotional duel in all the movies, and it was.

you could feel the buzz in the crowd in the theater on opening day when Anakin said "You will not take her from me!!!"

you knew right then its gonna be as badass as everyone expected.

and when they started i was at a loss for words, i hadent expected the fighting to be that fast...

Stunrun
Originally posted by jabbar
what is ti dude? don't tell me it's old obi vs. vader in ep IV...?

sorry i left it late, oh and Obi Vs. Vader - do not diss!stick out tongue twas a classic momentcool

ok, for ROTS (Not the Saga) i gotta say Mace Vs. Palpscool it wasnt super fast as the duel ( not to say i hated the duel, it was GREAT! but it could of been slowed down a little) but for this duel, the speed was just right plus the moves were so stylishsmile and when the Chancellor's window was shattered it just added to the whole spectacle of the fighteek!

...i do hope im not the only one LOVING that duelconfused

Ast Rofan
Sorry Stun, but that duel was a low point in the movie for me. sad

I thought it looked more fake and unnatural than the duel on Mustafar. Both actors looked so uncomfortable.

I did like the glass part. big grin

Stunrun
The glass part WAS cool big grin

i suppose if Sam and Ian's stunt double trained for as long as Ewan and Hayden did, then it would of been even betteryes

DeVi| D0do
I liked the glass part too...

But overall the duel was not well done. Especially the beginning where all the Jedi just stand there waiting for Palps to cut them down. That part, at least, should have been much faster.

And Sam Jackson was pretty bad in that scene.

Backspace
Obi-wan vs Anakin for the reasons already mentioned.

Ast Rofan
Originally posted by Stunrun
The glass part WAS cool big grin

i suppose if Sam and Ian's stunt double trained for as long as Ewan and Hayden did, then it would of been even betteryes

Im talking about the closeup shots of both of them, they didnt look comfortable.

Stunrun
i love every part of the final duel, but the lava WAS a little overpowering in some parts.

"The future's bright. The future's orange." laughing out loud

DeVi| D0do
Are you saying you don't like Palps poking faces at Mace, Ast? stick out tongue

Ast Rofan
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Are you saying you don't like Palps poking faces at Mace, Ast? stick out tongue

For one, yeah. stick out tongue Mace didnt exactly look like a natural either.

Stunrun
Im talking about the closeup shots of both of them, they didnt look comfortable.

ahhhthumb up

i'd feel a lil uncomfortable if an old man started pulling strange faces at me lolstick out tongue

DeVi| D0do
For one, yeah. stick out tongue Mace didnt exactly look like a natural either.
Yeah, I agree. Sam looked very uncomfortable in his close ups...

Stunrun
I did like the close up when Mace said: "You are under arrest MY lord." - twas bad asscool

pr1983
i thought the rots duel was a bit of a let down visually... choreography was flawless, but the camera work was shoddy at best imo...

as far as emotion goes... rotj is still the most emotional of the lot imo...

Stunrun
Originally posted by pr1983
i thought the rots duel was a bit of a let down visually... choreography was flawless, but the camera work was shoddy at best imo...

i agree, the camera work and background didnt really give credit to the choreo. And, it deserves creditsmile

btw - good to see you PRthumb up

bilb
ROTJ more emotional?? eh maybe but is way shorter than BoTH.. BoTH had everything in my book.. great choreography, great sets, emotion, all of it.. was just THE best saber duel ever IMO (and this coming from an OT chick stick out tongue)

pr1983
Originally posted by bilb
ROTJ more emotional?? eh maybe but is way shorter than BoTH.. BoTH had everything in my book.. great choreography, great sets, emotion, all of it.. was just THE best saber duel ever IMO (and this coming from an OT chick stick out tongue)

yes, luke's battle to save his father... and it was actually convincing... even in the choreography itself u get the sense of lukes anger coming to the surface...

BoTH could have had a decent cameraman... stick out tongue

Ast Rofan

as far as emotion goes... rotj is still the most emotional of the lot imo...

I dont know about the emotion, The Duel is heart breaking. Jedi had some emotion going for it, but I thought the interaction between Luke and Palps overshadowed Vader.

pr1983
I dont know about the emotion, The Duel is heart breaking. Jedi had some emotion going for it, but I thought the interaction between Luke and Palps overshadowed Vader.

It was something... but watch as vader taunts luke, telling him he's going to get leia... watch the anger in luke as he explodes...

and john williams did his best work with the ot imo...

Stunrun
yes, luke's battle to save his father... and it was actually convincing... even in the choreography itself u get the sense of lukes anger coming to the surface...

Something i TOO found convicing was the anger between Anakin and Obi-Wan in the duel. Infact, i was almost frightened to think how angry they could be, i mean, the part where they're running down the falling platform to get shelter from the lava. They continue to fight furiously even in dangerous circumstances. Also like the part where there jumping around on a tiny platform, and Anakin almost fell overboard, and to think that these guys would do anything to save each other before - twas very emotionally disturbing for me sad

pr1983
Something i TOO found convicing was the anger between Anakin and Obi-Wan in the duel. Infact, i was almost frightened to think how angry they could be, i mean, the part where they're running down the falling platform to get shelter from the lava. They continue to fight furiously even in dangerous circumstances. Also like the part where there jumping around on a tiny platform, and Anakin almost fell overboard, and to think that these guys would do anything to save each other before - twas very emotionally disturbing for me sad

im not saying it wasnt emotional, quite the opposite...

I just get more emotional watching rotj than i do rots...

DeVi| D0do
I absolutely agree with ya, PR. The ROTJ duel is much more emotional than BOTH. And the music in Jedi is more emotional too... BotH is more epic.

To be honest, at points I was struggling to find the emotion in the Ani/Obi duel...

Ast Rofan
Im sorry, but I believe The Duel might be the strongest scene in the saga.

The emotion and the incredible choreography, when the duel hits its action low point(the river), the emotion explodes. And there is one shot that gets me going, when Anakin hovers towards thge screen, that is the moment where I finally said that is Darth Vader.

http://img336.imageshack.us/img336/8428/bscap0376nq.jpg

Stunrun
im not saying it wasnt emotional, quite the opposite...

I just get more emotional watching rotj than i do rots...

im not disagreeing, just showing how similar the duels were - in terms of emotion...

DeVi| D0do

The emotion and the incredible choreography, when the duel hits its action low point(the river), the emotion explodes. And there is one shot that gets me going, when Anakin hovers towards thge screen, that is the moment where I finally said that is Darth Vader.

I think the choreography overshadows the emotion at times, and the whole thing sorta comes off as pretentious. Which is, in my opinion, the best word to describe Hayden's performance in the scene... pretentious.

pr1983
im not disagreeing, just showing how similar the duels were - in terms of emotion...

I suppose its just personal preference then...

strongest scene in the saga? i think thats pushing it just a tad...

choreography does not a great scene make...

Ast Rofan
strongest scene in the saga? i think thats pushing it just a tad...

choreography does not a great scene make...

I dont think that for the choreography, just the entire feel the scene had, hard to explain a "feel". stick out tongue

pr1983
I dont think that for the choreography, just the entire feel the scene had, hard to explain a "feel". stick out tongue

true... but still... strongest scene in the saga?

Ast Rofan

I said "might". stick out tongue

Stunrun

Im inclined to say "I am your father" - Empireyes

then again, i SOOOO wish that Han was killed off ( he's my 2nd best character) but it would of been TOO emotional...

Sith Master X
There's alot of strong scenes in the saga. Personally, I think where Anakin is making his decision between Mace or Palps is up there. Also I love how eerie it goes when Obi-Wan slices Anakin and he just tumbles to the grond and rolls down the slope. Vader taking his first breaths is pretty sweet too.

Stunrun
yes yes what i loved about that scene is that BOTH just ends on its finale, then *SLAASSH!* *Anakin tumbles, then groans* *The audience is completely silent* - twas fricken greatsmile

Sith Master X
Exactly. The scene just goes silent and everything. It's awesome.

Stunrun
I'd say this *bump* was pretty sucessfullstick out tongue

McGregorGirl
I have to go with THE DUEL, not only because they were moving at an unbelievable speed, but the emotional weight it carried.

I agree 100%!

obiwills
I'll have to go with "THE DUEL" as well. Ewan and Hayden did train for countless hours and the end result was that the scene came off as though they were actually experienced jedi battling eachother, where as too many of the other duels come off as actors doing their best while being unusually slow and looking uncomfortable at it.

The battle between Qui gon, Obi, and Darth Maul was pretty awesome too, except that even it looked unnaturally slow at times, until you got Obi one-on-one with Maul, then the speed was absolutely fantastic, as both actors were great with the lightsaber. I only wish that the one-on-one between Obi and Maul bit had lasted longer, the energy of it was amazing.

Personally I think this has a lot to do with Ewan, even the stunt men commented that he picked up the lightsaber style faster than anyone they'd ever seen, including other stunt men. He does all the cool jumps and hops and twirls and spins his lightsaber with what seems like very little effort. One of the things that truly made him a fantastic Obi Wan is that he actually developed a real lightsaber fighting style.

~ J ~
I personally like the choreography of the TPM duel slightly better than the ROTS duel....IMO, both were good though.

lupisnoctis1286
Anakin and Obi-wan duel is my favorite.

jainasolo55
Anakin and Obi Wan duel kicks anus!

a.d.a.m.w
THE FIGHTS IN ROTS ARE MILES BETTER

MORE EMOTIONAL

muserke
The Duel and the Obi vs Maul fight are by far the best.

Everytime I watch TPM and it's the Obi vs Maul fight I keep rewinding and rewinding after it's over. It's really fast and Obi is pissed!

The Duel was great too. Emotional and great choreography. Sometimes bad camera angles but what the heck, it's still great. And I agree, Anakin hovering over the lava....that's when I thought that's it, he's Vader. No turning back now.

DeVi| D0do
What I don't like about 'The Duel' is when they're in the control room and Anakin slams Obi-Wan's saber against a control panel but instead of the saber cutting through the metal it just makes a bang...

That and the whole lava surfing thing.

Darth_Janus
Yeah, that was a bit of a stretch. But to be expected. Ever since Legolas shield surfed, the world hasn't been the same.

Instead of trying to say which duels I like best and why, I'll just cover them all.

TPm Final Duel: Very good overall and one I like to rewatch.
Pros- Ray Park moves very fluidly, and Obi-Wan at the end is able to match him for intensity and fury, which as mentioned before is simply fantastic. This kind of breakneck speed should be the norm with jedi, I would think.

AOTC Obi and Annie versus Dooku: This might be getting old, but I don't recall much about this duel. I liked Dooku's style and precision, but it was way too damn short.
Pros- Dooku.
Cons- Obi lost and fast. Two handing didn't impress me at all.

AOTC Yoda versus Dooku: This was actually pretty poor. Initially I was like "WTF? Psycho spider fighting style?" But every time I watch it since then, Yoda seems to be getting slower and slower, and I realize he's just spinning like a top and not really being a good duellist. Dooku (Or le stuntman de Chris Lee) is pretty good for all of thirty seconds. In short, it lacked horribly.

ROTS Annie and Obi versus Dooku: Again, Dooku pwns. Nearly as short as the other one, which is sad when you consider the skill level of a seventy some year old former jedi master should at least give me five whole minutes with Annie alone.

Pros- Dooku kinda sorta pwned for like one second.
COns- Horribly short; I would have liked more two duellists versus one. Plus, where was the Sith lightning? Did Dooku forget that with Alzheimer's?

Samuel "Shaft" Jackson versus Palpatine: Ugh.

Pros- That window. It played a good role.
Cons- The actors. Everything was so fake I wonder if it wasn't done by replacements with Ian and Sam's faces tattooed on. First off, I got chills when Sidious did his Psycho Crusher-esque move, but the horribly telegraphed stabs compiled with three dead jedi in seconds was a little over the top. And Sam's style was simply boring to watch... It was more a dance than anything, real slow and deliberate, like they didn't want the neighbors below to hear or anything. And yes, Sam looks horribly at ease. He shoulda stuck to non-sci fi movies.

ROTS Sidious and Yoda: Huh. Dramatic. I didn't like how Sidious suddenly got more CGI and fast like on Yoda. And I also didn't like how it cut from them duking it out at point blank range to Sidious saberless in the next scene, Yoda on the lower level getting things chucked at him. At the very least show me how -that- happened.

Pros- Yoda. You feel sorry for the guy, but when he reflects that lightning at point blank range you still know he pwns... for sounding like Ms. Piggy on crack.
Cons- Like I said, missed scenes, short duration, and a CGI Sidious really took away from the drama of this battle. It could have been MUCH more.

The Duel: Good. Very good. The best? I dunno.
Pros: Long. That is good. Dramatic and emotional, especially at the end.
Cons: It -does- seem pretentuous, especially at the beginning, where they are basically spinning into the three same strikes over and over again, with Obi-Wan back peddling. It didn't strike me as how two people should fight at all.

ANH Obi versus Vader: Horrible.
Pros- The drama involved when Obi-Wan dies.
Cons- Meh, the technological limitations are obvious, the fight is slow and almost silly to watch, and there's not enough heat involved. I mean, Vader- this guy fekked you up. You say "The circle is complete; I am now the master" like you just came to pick up some dry cleaning.

ESB Luke versus Vader: Very good in my humble opinion.
Pros- Very dramatic, and the set was very real and desireable compared to the PT settings. Dark is good. And the "Dude, I banged your mom and made you" line is classic.
Cons- It's nothing special as far as kung fu fast, but I rather liked it.

ROTJ Finale: Hm. Still good.
Pros- Excellent musical score. High on the drama. Nice and dark lair.
Cons- Vader does put up a feeble defense for a man who can pick up another man and hold him half a foot off the ground. Luke's "technique" could use some work, too, although it does remind me vaguely of my Mexican friend's birthday party.

Darth Sadistic
Anakin v. Obi Wan and Yoda v. Sideous in ROTS

Darth Jello
I think the top two duels in the entire series are Obi-wan vs. anakin and anakin vs. assajj

neo313
The Obi/Qui/Maul duel was the highlight of Episode I and the PT imho.

As a kid, I loved the whole movie. Now, I think to myself "why couldn't the rest of the movie have been that cool?"

Durza
i like all of yoda's duels. yoda owns everyone.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.