Identity Theft Hits Home

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cinemaddiction
About 4 years ago when I first moved to Minneapolis, I worked overnights at a local Toys R Us store. My manager, John, was seemingly a really cool guy. He and his boyfriend at the time split up for reasons undisclosed, and he needed a place to stay. So, rent free, Alison and I allowed Jon to stay at our apartment for . The landlord came down on me, and of course I said he wasn't living with us, even though his belongings were in our garage.

He stayed a couple of months, and things were fine. Then, I noticed that he would nonchalantly bounce checks for food and clothes. Our landlord came down ever harder, so we had to get him out. Over time, I thought I had merely misplaced my license and social security card, both of which I had replaced. Suddenly, John returns, fresh out of the joint for reasons he never shared. He stayed a couple of days, then asked where his stuff was. We cleaned out the garage under the impression he didn't want it, and was never coming back. So, he left again.

A couple of months later, I recieved HIS cellphone bill, forwarded to MY address with HIS name on it. Naturally I sent it back. Soon after, I moved to North Carolina for 2 years. One day, I recieved a notice from the Savage County Sheriff's Department in St. Cloud, MN about an unpaid speeding ticket, and subsequent suspension of my license in NC. John had indeed stolen my license, posing as me, although we didn't look that much alike, I gathered that he also used my SS to get a brand new identity. I got the ticket expunged by the PD from North Carolina, and John was captured and supposedly convicted of yet another crime. Identity theft. A major offense..

I move back to Minnesota after the two year stint in North Carolina and recieve yet another disturbing piece of mail. A tax booklet with my name and a St. Cloud address. A few weeks later, ANOTHER piece...TAX FORMS for a Cory Hyman, which is me, but a Cory Hyman that was living in St. Cloud, who worked at Valleyfair all summer, while I was living in North Carolina, running my online business!?! It was official, he was posing as me.

The most recent event was just yesterday, and it seriously pissed me off. I'm heading out to North Carolina to visit my family whom I haven't seen in almost a year. In Minnesota, we recieve a rent credit for the previous year of paying rent. Alison recieved her check, and I got mine yesterday....or so I thought. Upon opening it, it's blank, and has an attatched note stating that MY refund was seized BY THE REVENUE RECAPTURE PROGRAM from the Dakota County COUR COLLECTOR!!!!!!!!

That son of a b!tch not only ruined my credit, he stole my license, my social, my identity, and cheated me out of a few hundred dollars, which I was counting on for my vacation. I've already reported the theft to the SSC and IRS, as well as the Savage County Police Dept. Now it looks like I have to straighten things out with the courts.

Moral of this story is be careful you you trust, and don't assume that this can't happen to you.

bilb
wow cine, that sux big time...

i hope you get everything sorted, and I hope this SOB gets his ass kicked but good... you willl get it straigtened out, but till you do I know it sucks big time.. in this day & age ID theft is a MAJOR deal and more needs to be done to prevent it....

Deano
cine if u want me to come over america and hammer his skull then i will mate

Tptmanno1
Sucks alot man.
I would cancel any credit cards you think he might have. Just to be safe.

Capt_Fantastic
I'd be so pissed off, I couldn't see straight. I've had shitty friends, but none thathave done anything like this. First things first; if he's using your identity, then you should be able to work with the police to find out where he's living. Also, I'd get a copy of my credit report to make sure everything there is on the up and up.

PVS
sounds like a good reason to crack open his skull right down to the white meat.

KidRock
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
About 4 years ago when I first moved to Minneapolis, I worked overnights at a local Toys R Us store. My manager, John, was seemingly a really cool guy. He and his boyfriend at the time split up for reasons undisclosed, and he needed a place to stay. So, rent free, Alison and I allowed Jon to stay at our apartment for . The landlord came down on me, and of course I said he wasn't living with us, even though his belongings were in our garage.

He stayed a couple of months, and things were fine. Then, I noticed that he would nonchalantly bounce checks for food and clothes. Our landlord came down ever harder, so we had to get him out. Over time, I thought I had merely misplaced my license and social security card, both of which I had replaced. Suddenly, John returns, fresh out of the joint for reasons he never shared. He stayed a couple of days, then asked where his stuff was. We cleaned out the garage under the impression he didn't want it, and was never coming back. So, he left again.

A couple of months later, I recieved HIS cellphone bill, forwarded to MY address with HIS name on it. Naturally I sent it back. Soon after, I moved to North Carolina for 2 years. One day, I recieved a notice from the Savage County Sheriff's Department in St. Cloud, MN about an unpaid speeding ticket, and subsequent suspension of my license in NC. John had indeed stolen my license, posing as me, although we didn't look that much alike, I gathered that he also used my SS to get a brand new identity. I got the ticket expunged by the PD from North Carolina, and John was captured and supposedly convicted of yet another crime. Identity theft. A major offense..

I move back to Minnesota after the two year stint in North Carolina and recieve yet another disturbing piece of mail. A tax booklet with my name and a St. Cloud address. A few weeks later, ANOTHER piece...TAX FORMS for a Cory Hyman, which is me, but a Cory Hyman that was living in St. Cloud, who worked at Valleyfair all summer, while I was living in North Carolina, running my online business!?! It was official, he was posing as me.

The most recent event was just yesterday, and it seriously pissed me off. I'm heading out to North Carolina to visit my family whom I haven't seen in almost a year. In Minnesota, we recieve a rent credit for the previous year of paying rent. Alison recieved her check, and I got mine yesterday....or so I thought. Upon opening it, it's blank, and has an attatched note stating that MY refund was seized BY THE REVENUE RECAPTURE PROGRAM from the Dakota County COUR COLLECTOR!!!!!!!!

That son of a b!tch not only ruined my credit, he stole my license, my social, my identity, and cheated me out of a few hundred dollars, which I was counting on for my vacation. I've already reported the theft to the SSC and IRS, as well as the Savage County Police Dept. Now it looks like I have to straighten things out with the courts.

Moral of this story is be careful you you trust, and don't assume that this can't happen to you.

Sorry man I just really needed the money. I left an IOU in your sock drawer though.

RedAlertv2
My family had something similar but less drastic happen. My mom's debit card was stolen, and the thief used it to buy a ticket to Europe and go on a shopping spree. fortunately, in the end, we got the money back and the account was frozen.

Hope it all works out for you.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by KidRock
Sorry man I just really needed the money. I left an IOU in your sock drawer though.

Do you have a new boyfriend yet?

BackFire
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Do you have a new boyfriend yet?

laughing out loud eek!

Sorry to hear that C-Dic, hopefully everything gets straightened out smoothly.

Alpha Centauri
Let's crack down, let's kick the bastards face off. Let's make it so that he can only live with his neck as an internal organ.

He's a shithead, hope he gets what's coming, one way or the other.

-AC

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Deano
cine if u want me to come over america and hammer his skull then i will mate

Too ****in' right.

Originally posted by Tptmanno1
Sucks alot man.
I would cancel any credit cards you think he might have. Just to be safe.

Fortunately, I did that a while back when I was made aware of the first instance, so, no credit cards for me period.

Also, I'd get a copy of my credit report to make sure everything there is on the up and up.

Done and done. Seems like I owe some Urgent Care center a few hundred dollars for multiple trips for which I was billed, as well as Sprint for unpaid cellular bills.

I just wanted to share the story with you guys because it's just so rich. I try and be nice and this is the thanks I get. The guy's criminally minded.

Deano
Too ****in' right.

i'll get the plane ticket

Sadako of Girth
What a total f***ing w****r....

I hope you have the opportunity to catch up with this prick..
Sounds like a f*****g good hiding is well and truly in order...
Never ceases to amaze me the new lows that this technique explores in
reducing good hard working people to tatters...

I'll inform Bubba of this assholes imminent arrival in his love den..

Cinemaddiction
Does Bubba have a sister in the pen, because John's gay and may take pretty quick to Bubba.

JLRTENJAC
I'd be so pissed off, I couldn't see straight. I've had shitty friends, but none thathave done anything like this. First things first; if he's using your identity, then you should be able to work with the police to find out where he's living. Also, I'd get a copy of my credit report to make sure everything there is on the up and up.

I'd be so pissed off I couldn't piss straight rolling on floor laughing

GCG

thats gotta be the worst part. a big fat undeserved zero.

but these are the things you know. have you thought of the things you dont know ??

This guy could have put your details on a gay web-site fear

Tired Hiker
Hey Cine, that guy will get his one day, karma will nip him in the butt via; a prison sentence, ass rape in prison, or someone will murder him. I do stories for the news on this identity theft stuff all the time, he WON'T get away with it for too long.

SlipknoT
You should track him down and Beat him up then force him to Eat Screws and Nails till his intestines tear open.

Sir Mist
shock That blows...
Smack him for mehappy

bilb
Does Bubba have a sister in the pen, because John's gay and may take pretty quick to Bubba.

laughing

botankus
Sorry to hear that, Cory. Beat his ass the next time he drops by to mooch.

In the meantime, stay away from those damn Toys R Us managers!

Sadako of Girth

Oh man...In that case ..... We'll have to inform the Bubra and the goils in d-wing to have a substantial loss of hygiene for two weeks in preparation for a 3-week long game of "Musical face"..... sick

BlackC@t
Cine, we should solve crimes! eek!

WindDancer
I'm sorry to hear that Cinema. It really blows when someone messes with your money and your ss. I hope things get better.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.