lightsaber forms

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth243
Can anybody specifically explain the lightsaber forms? i.e. how many are there? etc.

Darth_Rankkor
There's a thread where that is discussed. At least one that is. The one I'm talking about was started by me sometime ago. Just enter in the search button "fighting forms".

cheers

(EDITED) PS. Better yet, here's the link for the thread

Fighting forms

Darth_Janus
Form II: Makashi

89%
Form VII: Juyo/ Vaapaad

67%
Form III: Soresu

64%
Form IV: Ataru

39%
Form VI: Niman

31%
Form V: Shien

28%

Nice!

Darth_Rankkor
Originally posted by Darth_Janus

89%

67%

64%

39%

31%

28%

Nice!

LMAO That would be in the other thread (which meanwhile died :P)

Darth_Janus
I was too lazy to post it there.

Darth_Rankkor

HimoKun
Here's mine:

95%

86%

70%

39%

33%

31%

Darth_Rankkor
Originally posted by HimoKun
Here's mine:

95%

86%

70%

39%

33%

31%

STOP IT!!!!! THAT'S NOT HERE sad

Captain REX
Don't post those here, post them in the other thread. miffed

There are seven Main forms.

Form I - Shii-Cho - standard lightsaber form - mostly Jedi Extras

Form II - Makashi - counter-lightsaber defensive form - Count Dooku,

Form III - Soresu - counter-blaster fire & quick attack form - Obi-Wan

Form IV - Ataru - most athletic of the forms - Yoda

Form V - Djem So - offensive power-blow form - Anakin

Form VI - Niman - moderate blend of Forms I through V - mostly Jedi Extras

Form VII - Juyo - sweeping flailing form - Darth Maul

And then, there are six Minor forms.

Form IIIb - Sokan - based off Soresu, blended with Ataru - Exar Kun

Form Vb - Shien - based off Djem So, defensive power-blow form - Anakin

Form VIb - Kai-Kan - based off Niman, defensive version - ?

Form VIc - Jar'Kai - based off Niman, used with two lightsabers - Anakin

Form VIIb - Vaapad - based off Juyo, sweeping flailing power-blow form - Mace Windu

Form VIIc - Trispzet - based off Juyo, sweeping flailing form altered to allow use with flying beings (i.e. Jedi of species with natural wings or wearing a jetpack) - ?

Darth243
thanks to all

Darth_Rankkor
Originally posted by Captain REX
Don't post those here, post them in the other thread. miffed

There are seven Main forms.

Form I - Shii-Cho - standard lightsaber form - mostly Jedi Extras

Form II - Makashi - counter-lightsaber defensive form - Count Dooku,

Form III - Soresu - counter-blaster fire & quick attack form - Obi-Wan

Form IV - Ataru - most athletic of the forms - Yoda

Form V - Djem So - offensive power-blow form - Anakin

Form VI - Niman - moderate blend of Forms I through V - mostly Jedi Extras

Form VII - Juyo - sweeping flailing form - Darth Maul

And then, there are six Minor forms.

Form IIIb - Sokan - based off Soresu, blended with Ataru - Exar Kun

Form Vb - Shien - based off Djem So, defensive power-blow form - Anakin

Form VIb - Kai-Kan - based off Niman, defensive version - ?

Form VIc - Jar'Kai - based off Niman, used with two lightsabers - Anakin

Form VIIb - Vaapad - based off Juyo, sweeping flailing power-blow form - Mace Windu

Form VIIc - Trispzet - based off Juyo, sweeping flailing form altered to allow use with flying beings (i.e. Jedi of species with natural wings or wearing a jetpack) - ?

thx wink

Captain REX
Not a problem. That's the simplified version of my list. The actual list I stole from someone on here who had analyzed everything he could find and slapped it all together, and it's really quite impressive. And then I added stuff.

twinsabers
Cool quiz! i got form VII. masterful use of a lightsaber and the force combined.

Darth Nhilus
I got all of them-Forms -

I got them

The Seven Traditional Forms

- Shii-Cho (I) "Way of the Sarlacc"--------------------------------------------

The first and original form of lightsaber combat, Shii-Cho is little more than primitive or basic swordplay. It holds nothing more than basic techniques necessary to effectively using a sword-type weapon, however, without these fundamental skills, no other forms could exist. Jedi initiates are first taught Shii-Cho before they are to begin their Padawan apprenticeship and move on to more advanced forms. However, when taken beyond its initial training role, Shii-Cho proves to be a stable form of lightsaber combat, emphasizing nothing and therefore lacking in nothing -- supremely well-rounded and less predictable in its approach.

Known Users:
Kit Fisto

- Makashi (II) "Way of the Ysalamiri"-----------------------------------------

Considered by Jedi historians to be the ultimate refinement in lightsaber-to-lightsaber combat, Makashi was originally developed when various melee weaponry was far more common than blasters in the galaxy. Emphasizing fluid motions and anticipation of the trajectory of a weapon's swing, Form II allows the Jedi to attack and defend with minimal effort; manuevers with one hand are not unusual. Makashi uses extreme precision in its strikes and parries; this is taxing and due to the level of blade manipulation required, this form requires intense focus. Elegant and powerful, Makashi is very akin to fencing, utilizing such techniques as parries, thrusts, and small cuts as opposed to blocks and slashes; like fencing, it is very adept at making a fluid attack immediately after a parry -- riposte. The greatest duelists in history were products of Makashi. It is, however, nearly useless against ranged weaponry and its effects diminish with the addition of multiple opponents.

Known Users:
Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus

Possible Users:
Tulak Hord

- Soresu (III) "Way of the Mynock"-------------------------------------------

With the emergence of blaster technology and its spread across the galaxy as the weapon of choice, Makashi became obsolete. In order to deal with this new threat, the Soresu form was created and the practice of deflecting blaster fire with it. Emphasizing physical speed, quick reflexes, and fast positional transition in order to better deal with the rate at which a blaster could be fired (ie, heavy repeaters in the worst case scenario), Soresu uses swift, efficient movements in order to expose as little of the body's target zones as possible. Originally developed for defense against blasters, the refined blade movement of Makashi was lost in favor of simpler blocks and slashes, beginning a trend that would continue through other forms. The most defensive of all forms, it is also the least offensive and thus poor on the attack. Soresu practicioners often place themselves on the defense until their opponent reveals an opportunity through either fatigue or fault and only then attack. Due to its supremely defensive nature, Soresu has since become an expression of the non-aggressive Jedi philosophy.

As it is almost a necessary skill, other forms have incorporated Soresu's practice of deflecting blaster fire.

Known Users:
Obi-Wan Kenobi (AotC, RotS, ANH)
Luminara Unduli
Wanderer259
- Ataru (IV) "Way of the Hawk-Bat"-------------------------------------------

Created during the last centures of the Old Republic, Ataru is the most acrobatic of all lightsaber forms and the first beyond Shii-Cho to incorporate aggressive tactics. Emphasizing physical power, speed, and acrobatic ability, the fourth form makes great use of the Force's ability to push the body beyond its physical capabilities; practicioners use various Force-assisted movements (steps, jumps, spins, etc.) in order to outmanuever and overwhelm an opponent from multiple angles. Elaborate and flashy, it is also lacking in defense, having placed almost its entire focus in attack and leaves its user vulnerable to swift, skilled, and opportunistic opponents.

Known Users:
Yoda
Qui-Gon Jinn

- Shien/Djem So (V) "Way of the Krayt Dragon"-----------------------------

The fifth primary form, Shien, later called Djem So, is directly derived from the Soresu form. A group of Jedi Masters of the Old Republic felt that Soresu was too passive and forced the Jedi to prolong combat, unable to overcome their enemy. Emphasizing physical power and counter-attacks, Djem So uses similar movements and defensive measures as Soresu, but redirects them into an aggressive philosophy. Whereas Soresu practicioners will deflect blaster fire, Djem So practicioners will reflect it, purposefully redirecting it back towards its source in order to cause injury. Utilizing similar, but much less refined, parrying techniques found in the Makashi form, Djem So attempts to defend its user from an attempted attack and then immediately counter in order to injure the opponent. Unlike Soresu, Djem So will begin and press the attack and is characterized by wide, sweeping blows meant to overwhelm an opponent through sheer strength. Because of its aggressive emphasis, the form is often met with disdain by many Jedi.

Known Users:
Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader

Possible Users:
Aayla Secura
Plo Koon

- Niman (VI) "Way of the Rancor"---------------------------------------------

In order to better follow the goal of harmony and justice without resorting to violence, the sixth form, Niman, was created. Taking Shii-Cho, Soresu, Ataru, and Djem So, Niman attempts to take each form's emphasis and use it in overall moderation in conjunction with the others. Practicioners spend their time as usual with Shii-Cho and then move on to each successive form, spending a mere one to two years with each. Because Niman does not require its users to become overly proficient in a specific manner, they are free to better train themselves in political strategy and negotiation so that they may better end conflicts with a peaceful resolution; for this it is called the "Diplomat's Form". In theory, a particularly skilled Niman practicioner would be familiar enough with each form so that they could all be used with martial effectiveness; such a combatant would not be an expert on any form's particular emphases, but would be able to continuously switch their style of fighting to meet various situations in compensation.

Known Users:
Most Jedi during the PT
All Jedi fatalities at Geonosis

Possible Users:
Palpatine/Darth Sidious
Wanderer259
- Juyo (VII) "Way of the Vornskr"---------------------------------------------

As a solitary form, Juyo is actually still in development, a work in progress unfit to be called a complete art. Like Niman, Juyo is almost a conglomeration of each form before it, however, whereas Niman teaches the use of each form's techniques in overall moderation, Juyo better blends them into one true form; mastery of the previous forms is extremely vital in addition to great skill and focus. Juyo is almost a blend of the Ataru and Djem So forms; it is aggressive like Djem So but not as defensive, movement-based like Ataru but not as fancy or elaborate. It is very bold, direct and efficient, and extremely Force-based. Using the Force to directly influence the lightsaber's movements in an instinctive fashion rather than a linked set of movements, Juyo's unconnected motions appear as untrained, flailing swings with no pattern or order, keeping the opponent continually off-guard. The sheer physical intensity of Juyo requires the drawing upon a deep well of emotion and thus a tremendous amount of focus is needed for control; when the necessary amount of focus and willpower is found lacking, Juyo can become extremely dangerous and can cause the user to act in anger, pushing them towards the Dark Side of the Force.

Known Users:
Khameir Sarin/Darth Maul
Mace Windu
Depa Billaba
Sora Bulq

- Vaapad (VIIb)-----------------------------------------------------------------

Invented by Jedi Master and High Council Member Mace Windu with the assistance of Jedi Sora Bulq, Vaapad is Windu's personal completion of the Juyo form; as such, it is essentially Juyo with some differences. When using Vaapad, the practicioner skirts the Dark Side of the Force in order to access it and channel it back at itself without becoming lost in it. In essence, using the Dark Side's power while maintaining an emotional center free of negative emotions in order to neutralize its corrupting effects; this is, of course, at a level of difficulty impossible to describe. One ounce of anger, fear, hate, etc. will cause an imbalance in the energy feedback and force the user into the Dark Side's embrace. In addition, Vaapad is naturally the home of Windu's Shatterpoint technique in which the Force specifically identifies and points out weakpoints on a target and "shows" methods in which to utilize that weakpoint. This is, primarily, a unique ability of Master Windu's, however, other Force users are capable of using this technique, but only with great difficulty and concentration after much practice.

Known Users:
Mace Windu
Depa Billaba (unable to use the Shatterpoint)
Sora Bulq (unable to use the Shatterpoint)
Wanderer259
Minor Forms

Darth Nhilus

SITHMAUL1
starwars

Darth Faunus

Illustrious
Very nice, I haven't seen much elaboration on the minor and subforms until that post: good job.

Hornyman
It's directly from Wikipedia, sorry to say.

Darth_Janus
But originally was done by Wanderer before he left this forum. I worked on it with him, and obviously someone went ahead and posted it on Wikipedia.

Luke Skywalker
I can't understand why everyone despises Wikipedia. I mean, most of the information is accurate. Sure, somethings are altered but i mean what isn't altered in this world nowadays? Shit....

Koolwoo92
here it is
http://swg.stratics.com/content/gameplay/professions/jedi/lightsaber_combat.php

Master Mawi
Anyone here want to add to the lightsaber combat forms like info. from novels like Shatterpoint and the novelization of Episode III

Lightsnake
Wikipedia'd make no difference. Isn't it supposed to be accurate as Britannica these days?

Dark Aristokrat
No, unless the article is well reviewed and protected against vandalism. Also, Star Wars wiki articles are plagued with bias, opinion, and hyperbole statements, especially the movie characters profiles.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.