CPU Cooling

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JKozzy
Alright, so I've done it. I built my first computer. The max CPU temperature for the P4 640 is about 67 degrees celsius. Initially it was 103 and shut down very quickly. From what I can tell, there is no processor damage. The thermal... whatitsname, name escapes me atm, was crooked and part of it melted onto the chip. I got it off, mostly, and repositioned the fan as best I could, and now I get temps between 55 and 75. Does anybody have any recommendations on how to get this thing cooler, or if I should even run it after that? I installed Windows, all video/audio drivers, and Jedi Academy, and played some, and it didn't seem to go bove 68, though I want to be on the safe side. Any help as to what I should do to get this thing cooler would be most appreciated.

And: which temperature is more accurate, in the BIOS or in the ASUS Probe program in Windows?

Thanks in advance.

Fire
Dunno, what kinda cooling do you have?

JKozzy
It's whatever Intel fan came with the processor, and the case has 2 additional fans, one on top and the other on the left side.

Fire
normally it shouldn't need those extra fans, maybe your cooling is broken or something.

I never use intel so can't be of much help tbh.

When I buy a cooler I just ask my mates what they use for their AMD's never had a problem before.

JKozzy
I opened the thing, removed the fan, and then put it back, and now the damned thing stays on for two seconds, and shuts itself down. Most of the thermal paste stuff I think is gone... the chip is said to run very cooly, and apparently the fan is supposed to be fine, but I can't get it to start now and I'm pretty sure that it overheats in 3 seconds, which is why it shuts down. erm

Dogbert
I'm not sure if this'll help, but you should purchse a Demon case yes

Fire
Probably best to go and buy a new cooler

JKozzy
I called Newegg and they said they'd RMA it, which probably is the best decision right now. I took out the chip, and it starts and stays on, so that isolates the P4 and the fan. Shipping them out today.

Sir Mist
60 degrees is kinda hot....I used a computer, AMD 3500 that was running at average 30 degrees, so yours aint right..confused

Also, I'd say your BIOS would be more accurate...

And when you said it switched off, was that the cpu or fan?

You can tweak your fan speeds, search for some programs, but be VERY careful you dont screw it up..

Sir Mist
I just set my LCD fan and temperature control thing on my case, and it shows my average cpu temp. is 17C so yours has gotta be WAY outta wackconfused

Dexx
60 is a bit hot..but it's not that much over the limit.
i have an athlon xp 2500+ at an average of about 50 degrees. but it's very hot around here this time of year (and it's felt inside the case also) and i screwed with the fsb and voltage a little bit also, to keep at at 3200.
normally...it stays at about 46 degrees.
suggest a better fan.
or some liquid nitrogen whistle

GCG
^ yeah but over-clocking the CPU too fast will ruin it !

some people working for CPU companies are sponsored to see how efficiently will a CPU run when it is over-clocked with good heat-sinks.

But even the best CPU that is over-clocked at a staggering speed and is cooled with nitrogen can get burnt out.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.