Jimi Hendrix

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Superfly4000
I didn't see a Jimi Hendrix thread, so i started this one. How do you think Jimi hendrix has affected Rock/Blues music? And how did his music affect society in general? When you hear his music, what do you think about? What is your favorite Hendrix song? Mine is "If 6 was 9"

alic88
machine gun or who knows... best left handed guitarist ever for me. but his songwriting is not as good as some people say it is

Sadako of Girth
Pure imagination is what Hendrix's music means to me...
It sends shivers down my spine, gives me warm tingles in my gut,
and gets them fretting fingers tingling...
The ultimate feel player.

His songwriting skills were awesome... 'Axis:Bold as love' and 'Electric ladyland' should be studied in classical music schools (Except for "Little miss strange" God I hate that vocal- Sorry Noel)...

Good call with "Machine gun" ironically, more of an guitar workout/reinvention and devastating piece of music rather than "Song"...
And "Who knows" great choice too... My band've covered that for the last five years..

The original 'Voodoo Chile' (The slow one with Steve Winwood and Jack Cassidy), Slight return version too... 'Castles made of sand'.... Damnit
I really don't know if I CAN pick ONE right now...

Superfly4000
Yeah, i listen to "Who Knows" in the car all the time, its perfect for just cruising down the street. i did a film project with "Machine Gun". They are both good choices.

koolruningz
Legend plain and simple. Listening to him play is amazing but watching footage of him playing concerts gives you a whole new level of appreciation of his greatness.
My favorite Hendrix songs are "purple haze", "castles made of sand", "all along the watchtower", "the wind cries mary" and "cross town traffic".

Superfly4000
"Manic Depression" is pretty cool to.

What level do you think he would have reached if he hadn't died so early?

SlipknoT
He was a good guitarist...But i dont really listen to him.

Superfly4000
Does any body know about a good documentay about Himi Hendrix? There has to be one.

koolruningz
This may be a starting point.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00002E236/qid=1123821404/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_7/103-1640826-4536608?v=glance&s=dvd

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009E3234/qid=1123821404/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-1640826-4536608?v=glance&s=dvd

Hope that helps. smile

Superfly4000
tahnks...

koolruningz
No sweat.

StinkFist462
never really got into Jimi.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by SlipknoT
He was a good guitarist...But i dont really listen to him.

Haha. "He was a good guitarist." Understatement of forever.

-AC

intoxicatedpoet
Sorry to jump the overrated bandwagon, but 'Purple Haze', 'Hey Joe', and 'Machine Gun' are, to me, Hendrix at his best.

Alpha Centauri
You're calling Hendrix overrated. Poet?

-AC

intoxicatedpoet
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
You're calling Hendrix overrated. Poet?

-AC

Nope, the songs of his that I chose are overrated.

intoxicatedpoet
Originally posted by intoxicatedpoet
Sorry to jump the overrated bandwagon, but 'Purple Haze', 'Hey Joe', and 'Machine Gun' are, to me, Hendrix at his best.

And, 'All along a Watchtower' as well.

Alpha Centauri
How can they be overrated if they're Hendrix at his best?

-AC

shaber
You may not listen to him, he is all mine.

intoxicatedpoet
How can they be overrated if they're Hendrix at his best?

-AC

They're overrated for a reason, since when did overrated become an insult anyways?

Superfly4000
Hey. Nobody mentioned "Fire", now that is a classic song.

jaden101
little wing...i love that song...classic

Superfly4000
Crosstown Traffic is really good too.

RogerRamjet
i love Jimi Hendrix..one of the most influential musicians to date

my favourites:

Hey Joe
Purple Haze
Red House
Hear my train comin'
Voodoo chile (long version with Winwood on organ!)
All along the watchtower (one of the best Dylan-covers ever!)

Df02
Originally posted by intoxicatedpoet
They're overrated for a reason, since when did overrated become an insult anyways?

overrated, i.e. rated more than it's worth - and it's always been an 'insult' if you wanna put it that way

Superfly4000
I just watched that documentary on Hendrix and it was just alright. It had good footage of his shows and all, but I wish it could have been more of a biography than a documentation of his music.

ElectricBugaloo
Machine Gun rocks. Best long guitar solo.

RogerRamjet
nah...Red House, Live at Winterland `68

intoxicatedpoet
Originally posted by Df02
overrated, i.e. rated more than it's worth - and it's always been an 'insult' if you wanna put it that way

I always interpereted overrated as meaning alot of people like it, meh, I still like those songs, Little Wing's good too.

Superfly4000
overrated is a pretty negative word.

Superfly4000
Do you think he was more affective to music while he was alive, or after he died?

Victor Von Doom
What do you mean? Having an affect on music? Effective?

Can you be a bit more clear/precise?

Superfly4000
Yeah, having an affect on music. Meaning the way people play music today and the way the guitar is used. It almost seems he aand his music has been mythologized because he is dead.

Alpha Centauri
Well he played a guitar like nobody played it before or since.

It's got to the point where it's more or less accepted that overall there will be no one better.

-AC

Superfly4000
Do you think that he would have gone into any new directions if he hadn't died so early.?

Alpha Centauri
Well considering he was in his 20s and already the best guitarist ever, I think it's a safe bet.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Superfly4000
Yeah, having an affect on music. Meaning the way people play music today and the way the guitar is used. It almost seems he aand his music has been mythologized because he is dead.

He was mythological while he was alive. Townshend, Beck and Clapton were in awe of the man.

Sadako of Girth
And rightly so... yes
In regards to his new direction, the "Electric Skychurch" concept he was going with sounded pretty cool to me... Jazz-fusiony-rock-funk grooves with some serious wailing guitar...

Sadako of Girth
...Plus hed probably always end up returning to the blues...

Red Superfly
Oddly enough I really enjoy "Hey Joe" the most.

Superfly4000
Why is that so odd, Red Superfly?

intoxicatedpoet
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Oddly enough I really enjoy "Hey Joe" the most.

I like the in lyrics Hey Joe, but Purple Haze will always be my favorite Hendrix song.

RagnaViper
A fine guitarist, but I can't stand how people automatically hail him as the best.

He's not. I can think of plenty of guitarists with more talent and skill.

Alpha Centauri
There are no guitarists who did better things with a guitar than he did. Bearing in mind he died in his 20's and already had some of the most legendary guitarists of all time, much older than him, in awe.

He's probably the one person who deserves to be automatically hailed as the best in his field ever.

-AC

RagnaViper
There are no guitarists who did better things with a guitar than he did. Bearing in mind he died in his 20's and already had some of the most legendary guitarists of all time, much older than him, in awe.

He's probably the one person who deserves to be automatically hailed as the best in his field ever.

-AC

You seriously think he's better than the likes of Paul Gilbert and Vito Bratta?

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by RagnaViper

Paul Gilbert has much better technique than Jimi. However, ask Paul or any other top guitarist which is better, the answer will be the same.

Alpha Centauri

As above.

Satch is better, technically. He hasn't put out anything close to the level of music Jimi did though.

-AC

bakerboy
Jimi was great. He was one of the most important musical figures in his time. He was revolutionary with his own style. As a guitar player, i think that Brian May is the best one, but jimi did mean something so big to the music that is stupid to underrated him.

Superfly4000
The thing is that Jimi's guitar playing stands the test of time becuase its not obviously from any time. It is absolutely timeless and universal. thats what makes him so great. Also, his lyrics arent restricted to time either.

RagnaViper
As above.

Satch is better, technically. He hasn't put out anything close to the level of music Jimi did though.

-AC

I said he was a better guitarist, not a greater guitarist.

Better is technique. Greatness is overall.

Besides, the level of music is not comparable. Their styles are vastly different.

Victor Von Doom
I said he was a better guitarist, not a greater guitarist.

Better is technique. Greatness is overall.

Wasn't aware that was the correct terminology. Sounds subjective to me.

Superfly4000
Jimi Hendrex had the best technique. So I don't know what your talking about.

By the way, I like your sig Von Doom. It looks really Psychedelic.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Superfly4000
Jimi Hendrex had the best technique. So I don't know what your talking about.

By the way, I like your sig Von Doom. It looks really Psychedelic.

Thanks.

Hendrix had awesome technique, in some sense you could say he had the best as his is the best guitar sound/music that there has been.

In terms of actual ability and mastery of the guitar, in purely technical terms (IE things such as speed, cleanness, knowledge of theory, mastery of various techniques etc) there are better players than Jimi.

There are singers who have technically amazing voices (octave range etc), but will never be as great a singer as someone like Freddie Mercury.

bakerboy
Agree with the freddie mercury thing. He is one of the greatest singers ever.

And for guitarrists, i think that jimi was great, but for me, Brian May is the best guitarrist ever, his techinque is unique and perfect.

Victor Von Doom
His tone is partly fluke though.

Superfly4000
Robert Plant is the greatest vocalist ever, while Freddie Mercury is a close second.

Alpha Centauri
Bit of a claim.

-AC

Superfly4000
Id like to see a vocal battle between Plant and Mercury. That would be interesting., but that is getting beside the point. This is about Jimi Hendrix.

Superfly4000
I was just looking at a site about jimi hendrix and there were a couple of theories about how he died. I don't really understand what the mystery of his death was though. But I suppose the mystery is also what makes him such a legend.

Sadako of Girth
Besides...how many of the guitarists who followed claimed NOT not be influenced by Hendrix...? The man was a quantum leap taker in his playing. NOTHING preceded his wilder stuff in his style.
Who else could've envisioned/played Machine gun...1983.... the many multitracked layers he was working on...? The man was genius.
The guy was channeling amazing new music along with the stuff he learned on the chitlin circuit...

Its like the old Einstein concept of 'I only see so far ahead because I stand on the shoulders of geniuses...'

Sure...since there have been plenty who have surpassed him for speed, technique... But few have matched the guys visionary range and ability to lay it all down in songs like Jimis.......

Superfly4000
I think Hendrix really could have bridged the gap we have now between rock and r&b. He was begining to get at wider black audience before he died, and his work with the band of gypsys really bridged rock, blues, and funk.

Superfly4000
well i saw that this thread was fading away, so i wrote this so it could get up to the first page. This man was and is a rock legend, you have to have more to say.

Superfly4000
wow, jimi hendrix died Sep. 18. he was only in his twenties and he did so much.

Superfly4000
wow i'm a loser

Nellinator
Why? Hendrix is the man, great guitar player, great songwriter, and imo the best cover artist that ever lived.

Funkadelic
Purple Haze, Hey Joe, Third stone from the sun, fire, foxy lady, If 6 was 9, Castles made of sand, bold as love, All along the watchtower, angel, Izabella, Machine gun, who knows...etc.

CLASSIC!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.