Worn out & stupid comic ideas and gimmics

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

HigH ScholaR
Worn out & stupid comic ideas and gimmics.

i want to know what you guys think are the most worn out comic ideas and pointless gimmics they use in their comics.

for me i would say the whole ressurection thing it's become a joke to me and i bet to most people, benn grimm goiong to heaven and the fantastic three (not dead) go to heaven and ask them to return him to life <what the f**k >

Pointinel
^cosign that.

here's number 2 : powers caught by accident:

let's see:
1.Spidey
2.DD
3.Hulk
4.FF
5.She-Hulk
6.Iron Man (technically)

HigH ScholaR
don't forget fantastic four, (i don't hate them only one i could add right now.)

and then there's the ideas of clones, spiderman madam mosque heck they even use them if they don't want to do the idea of ressurection.

newjak86
I would have to sat the Mutant gimmick is old. The whole second mutation powers coming some of them becoming God Like like MAagneto or Scarlet Witch. The phoenix Force also being a simple mutation the next step of evolution is a wearing old now as well.
I liked them when the were street level characters or powerful street level characters at the most.

HigH ScholaR
i second that.

there's also the whole "we not gong to make it thing" when they fight a powerful enemy then the next panel you see some one like scarlet witch doong the impossible because of her powers that and characters like the scarlet witch/franklin used as an exvcuse to end the threat.

franklin is pointless all that powwere if i was the writer to be honest he would'nt have that power i would show that a beyonder was in his subconcious and he was feeding off that power.

newjak86
Originally posted by HigH ScholaR
i second that.

there's also the whole "we not gong to make it thing" when they fight a powerful enemy then the next panel you see some one like scarlet witch doong the impossible because of her powers that and characters like the scarlet witch/franklin used as an exvcuse to end the threat.

franklin is pointless all that powwere if i was the writer to be honest he would'nt have that power i would show that a beyonder was in his subconcious and he was feeding off that power. agree but I say this they never should have started down that whole Scarlet Witch Franklin road to begin with. Mutants should not have the power they have. It turned off of the X-Men they used to be cool. Fighting to be equals one never really being that strong them having to work together as a team to do everything. Now it seems that it is simply a comic about showing what new abilities they get which uber strong person that can detroy earth a mutant beats and the Phoenix.

Creshosk
Someone sounds a little bitter about something.

manjaro
" no !!!dont kill cuz if you do, you'll be no better than they are."

and oh yeah how many freaking times are the super teams gonna have somebody accepted among they're ranks, who they thought they could trust turn out to be some kind of double agent or spy or had some kind of ulterior motive....or my personal fave...used to be a bad guy but now is reformed

newjak86
Originally posted by Creshosk
Someone sounds a little bitter about something. About what GS never really showed that I was wrong so as far as I'm concerned I proved they were on equal footing until proven otherwise. I always hated the Phoenix I except her power notice I don't get into any other Phoenix threads because she can win all of them pretty much I just where once she couldn't.

OB1-adobe
as much as I like them, comics can't go into much new territory anymore.

Its one of those things where its like "Trust me, its been done."

I have seen rip offs galore. back when i kind of stopped collecting, there was a time (in the early 90's) where every new team of heroes looked like collage of the whole x-men, x-factor, and all that stuff.

I'll have to look but there was one on image comics where this team had:
one guy looked like wolverine
one guy looked like cable
and every chick has huge ass boobs, and is wearing practically nothing.

yeah the whole dying and coming back things is dumb. it was cool when superman did it, but it needs to stop, because frankly, even though it was awsome, superman's return did not make much sense.

ScarletSpider
Pretty much, for awhile, the whole dying thing needs to stop in comics. If every other month someone makes the "ultimate sacrifice", then who cares anymore?

Next month--Villains United #5 someone makes the ultimate sacrifice? Meh. Who cares? Although it is Gail Simone, so I expect there to be something more to it than that....

CorderaMitchell
Someone sounds a little bitter about something.

Look who's talking...

Creshosk
Originally posted by newjak86
About what GS never really showed that I was wrong so as far as I'm concerned I proved they were on equal footing until proven otherwise. I always hated the Phoenix I except her power notice I don't get into any other Phoenix threads because she can win all of them pretty much I just where once she couldn't. And thats a reson to repeat your hatred of her more than once in a thread such as this? smile

newjak86
And thats a reson to repeat your hatred of her more than once in a thread such as this? smile I won't lie I hate Phoenix if you read my posts I hated Unicron as well nothing should be outside of creation except for the creator themself.

long pig
Yeah the mutants are annoying, so are freak accidental powers.
After 60 years of comics, someone should make up a different reason someone gets superpowers.

I hate capes too....why the fu*ck does Superman or ANYONE have a cape? Unless it's functional, no capes or gloves or crap!

I liked the idea of this comic where this hero guy had to pray to his own personal "god" to grant him any type of power, his god would constantly **** with him and not give him power.
God's Son was a neat comic, it never went anywhere though.

Oh, I hate the "Strong Man" on every freaking team.

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by manjaro
" no !!!dont kill cuz if you do, you'll be no better than they are."

"If you would have killed him in your first encounter...sixty thousand people wouldn't be dead now. Which is better, one dead serial killer, or sixty thousand dead innocent people?! TELL ME!? FOR GODS SAKE, HE KILLED YOUR ENTIRE FAMILE AND WORE THEIR SKINS AS JACKETS! AND YOU STILL CAN'T KILL HIM!?"

"Heroes don't kill. It is a crime."

"Well, f*ck it, I can kill him."

*BLAM!*

HigH ScholaR
All make good points i would also like to add the whole thanos getting supreme power then losing it again it's going to happen aain eventually.
originality is limited i guess.

the first infinty guantlet was excellent but the more started coming drying the idea, to be honest if i wanted to see the cosmic beings fight a threat i would like to see it be an epic battle not them getting their asses handed to them just by a wave of a hand. i thought marvel: the end was supposed to end the ressurection business when thanos recreated the universe.

HigH ScholaR
super heroes losing their powers then get it back again then lose it then get back but more powerful then lose it due to their own fault then go back to their normal base power.

willRules
Or when they do a crossover with a fight scene that is just getting started, then they decide to team up..................

HigH ScholaR
Originally posted by willRules
Or when they do a crossover with a fight scene that is just getting started, then they decide to team up..................

yes why don't they just fight, that's why i buy the crosover, i don't want them to hold hands and kiss arses s**t even prof hulk in the marvel vs dc comic was kisses superman arse when they were in the batcave fighting the mole man.

willRules
Yeah it annoying........

HigH ScholaR
so theres
- mutants
- powers change
- ressurection
- clones
- crossovers (has anyone seen the gladiator/supreme and hulk/prime comics)

- what else

Lord-of-Dreams
The whole bit where the good guy falls in love with someone from the badguy team, then brngs her into his life, then she screws up the team... LEARN FROM YOUR TEAMMATE'S FRIKKIN MISTAKES!!!!!
Also, the whole job where the two goodguys who don't know each other are trying to save someone but in two different styles, end up fighting, then become friends and save the world togethor.
And the badguys try forever. Then the one time they're close to winning, they already threw the goodguy off a cliff and seduced his wife... then, all in one panel, the good guy leaps out from the shadows, explains how he exchanged himself for a doll replica of himself at the last moment, watched it get killed, then hid somewhere to bide his time, then he wuppes the baddies ass easily. My lord. That's such crap...
nd why does the goodguy alway win? He could have just been shot in the back of the head. No problem! Give it a couple minutes... he'll be fine! I mean, I get it. You want to see the goodguy win, that' the point of superheres, but yeesh! You have htem so realistic these days, at least let their enemies win a few times! They'll never give up trying anyway!
yep... my two cents. (And C-man, don't start with Cresh. Please.)

HigH ScholaR
^ i agree shessh let the bad guys win some i mean sheesh even Thor a good guy took over the world

the closests thing i've seen a bad guy win is ultron wiping out a country but still i wouldn't count that as winning.

Lord-of-Dreams
Well, I think Doom has done a good job. Him and Magneto, especially since they've gone from badguys to... guys whom the goodguys don't generally like too too much and are just trying to make a living without the popo always on they damn black ass!!!! Oh... shit, sorry... a bit of that was about me... snap! sorry...

Creshosk
Originally posted by Lord-of-Dreams
The whole bit where the good guy falls in love with someone from the badguy team, then brngs her into his life, then she screws up the team... LEARN FROM YOUR TEAMMATE'S FRIKKIN MISTAKES!!!!! The Yoko Ono syndrome?

grey fox
possibly

HigH ScholaR
the thing that i just thing needs to stop andis frankly annoying and confusing is the constan change in the person's origin lets see power girl (cousin no atlantean no) beyonder.

dc comics are mostly the culprits at this especially before pre cris but post cris still did'nt claer shit and there doing some more shit new supergirl etc

8bitChris
Superman going ballistic and attacking the good guys...

umm...sidekicks and proteges...seriously, how long has Batman been trying to pass on his legacy now? At least like five freaking times. Which makes the whole idea of a protege moot because DC will never let Bruce Wayne retire...(Well there is the rumor that they are going to kill him off and replace him with NIghtwing..)

HigH ScholaR
Originally posted by 8bitChris

Bruce Wayne retire...(Well there is the rumor that they are going to kill him off and replace him with NIghtwing..)
yer and how long will that last i'll give it 2-5 issues max

apoc001
My pet peeve in comics, hmm... how bout the origin of EVERY SINGLE spiderman character? There's what, 10 characters who aren't the result of an experiment? Someone CAN be a superperson without being an experiment gone awry. And btw, how come so many unstable experiments are being conducted in the first place? I thought they were supposed to be professionals, but they somehow managed to spawn hundreds of villains for Spiderman to fight.

roughrider
I think it's time to deflate the whole Mutant prejudice angle at Marvel. It's been milked for astounding sales for decades, but you have to take it often with a grain of salt, despite excellent stories. It's because they share the same world with all these non-mutant characters, and the Earth is always under threat and has suffered cosmic and mystic invasions time and again - why are people so worked up over people who were born with powers, saying they are dangerous and corruptable, as opposed to those who gain powers by accident? Why aren't there people suspecting Spider-Man of being a mutant; because he says so? The movies can make this idea work better, because the X-Men are in a seperate world on their own.

Swanky-Tuna
seriously, how long has Batman been trying to pass on his legacy now?
Man, there are heroes that have fought with Batman who have grown old and died and now their adult sons are fighting with the same Batman.

Mainstream
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
Man, there are heroes that have fought with Batman who have grown old and died and now their adult sons are fighting with the same Batman.

when they say Batman forever they mean it!

HigH ScholaR
well anymore

HigH ScholaR
well for me its constant rectons espicailly of ones history

HigH ScholaR
well for me its constant rectons espicailly of ones history

This should be introducing new Characters and rectoning them into the respected universe (i.e Sentry, blue marvel) clearly the do it and do not use the character effectively and offset the balance of continuity. (stalemating Galactus (supposedly), pawning molecule man, beating king hyperion etc)

psycho gundam
Originally posted by #16
^cosign that.

here's number 2 : powers caught by accident:

let's see:
1.Spidey
2.DD
3.Hulk
4.FF
5.She-Hulk
6.Iron Man (technically) ummm, the characters you mentioned were the originals of that idea (in comics) since the 60's, and she-hulk like a decade later. the accident is what molded their character traits and how they deal with life from that point.

spider-man villains are cheesy though, and other characters where it truly is an arbitrary accident just to give a thug superhuman stats, but the guys you mentioned are basically legends

roughrider
Originally posted by roughrider
I think it's time to deflate the whole Mutant prejudice angle at Marvel. It's been milked for astounding sales for decades, but you have to take it often with a grain of salt, despite excellent stories. It's because they share the same world with all these non-mutant characters, and the Earth is always under threat and has suffered cosmic and mystic invasions time and again - why are people so worked up over people who were born with powers, saying they are dangerous and corruptible, as opposed to those who gain powers by accident? Why aren't there people suspecting Spider-Man of being a mutant; because he says so? The movies can make this idea work better, because the X-Men are in a separate world on their own.

Well, a year after I wrote that, Marvel released Civil War and everyone who had powers or was just a vigilante got lined up under the same microscope as the mutants. So someone listened and did a good storyline.

New peeve: having religious figures being violent combatants. They are supposed to be people of peace; stop with the guns and martial artists.

Bentley
Omnipotence being overplayed and oversold. You don't need to create an omniversal threat to make a comic book with high stakes, Ultron 6 was going to nuke a city and it was a big deal, hyping up "cosmic scales" is only a crappy way to depend on pure plot devices.

Scoobless
DC will never let Bruce Wayne retire...(Well there is the rumor that they are going to kill him off and replace him with NIghtwing..)
yer and how long will that last i'll give it 2-5 issues max

laughing out loud

HigH ScholaR
wink

SamZED
Retarded stories from the 60s that are still canon today. Books are so serious these days that every time heros mention events that happened decades ago makes me wanna shoot myself. "Hey remember how Dr Doom invented an itching laser and blasted the FF with it? Those were the times..." that kind of thing.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by SamZED
Retarded stories from the 60s that are still canon today. Books are so serious these days that every time heros mention events that happened decades ago makes me wanna shoot myself. "Hey remember how Dr Doom invented an itching laser and blasted the FF with it? Those were the times..." that kind of thing.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f95/t550743.html

srankmissingnin
Family members who are also heroes or villains, female or male counterparts of a character of a specific gender, and different coloured versions of established characters.

Simbon
Powers in general are incredibly formulaic (not to mention the personalitis of the people who wield them): electrokinesis, various kinds of absorption, metal/rock body, insubstantial body, cryokinesis, telekinesis, whateverkinesis etc. etc. It's rare to encounter a really interesting new power these days

Simbon
Also, why is 20th/21st century technology so f'ing good? The best scientists on earth always have stuff comparable to highly advanced alien races and people from the future.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Simbon
Also, why is 20th/21st century technology so f'ing good? The best scientists on earth always have stuff comparable to highly advanced alien races and people from the future.

No one in comics has erectile dysfunction so the scientists have free time to solve problems that don't involve boner medicine.

Scoobless
And why do 90% of Black* characters have "Black" in their name?

(*Black = "African American" to you guys from the USA who are too sensitive about certain words)

psycho gundam
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Family members who are also heroes or villains, female or male counterparts of a character of a specific gender, and different coloured versions of established characters. i phukin hate that

there are several whole teams of diet versions of characters

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by SamZED

You just can't stand the awesomeness of the Thanos Copter.

Doctor-Alvis
Originally posted by Scoobless

(*Black = "African American" to you guys from the USA who are too sensitive about certain words)
To be honest, I don't think I could even think of enough black characters to fill out that statistics. And of those, I can only think of Black Panther and Black Vulcan and I'm not even sure of both of those are real comic book characters.

StiltmanFTW
Black Crow, Black Manta, Black Lightning...

But yeah, 90% is too much.

Doctor-Alvis
Black Manta is a person? I always thought he was a robot or something. I guess that's what I get for having absolutely no interest in Aquaman's affairs.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
Black Manta is a person? I always thought he was a robot or something. I guess that's what I get for having absolutely no interest in Aquaman's affairs.

I wikipedia'd him once and found out.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/09/Blackmantaunmasked.PNG

SamZED
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
You just can't stand the awesomeness of the Thanos Copter. laughing laughing How could I forget the Thanos Copter.

basilisk
Originally posted by Scoobless

(*Black = "African American" to you guys from the USA who are too sensitive about certain words) You kind of answer your own question there. Who would read characters like:

African American Panther
African American Lightning
African American Racer
African American Goliath
African American Manta
African American Talon
African American Vulcan?

Aside from not exactly rolling off the tongue, half these guys aren't even american so it's just not accurate. Hence "Black" just works better all around.

Of course where it all gets confusing is that Black Knight, Black Canary, Black Mamba, Black Orchid, Black Alice, and Black Widow (all 3 of them) are white, as is Manchester Black. Black Adam is Egyptian. Black Flash is an indeterminate corpse. And Black Crow was Native American. On the other hand Bronze Tiger and Green Lantern (John) were black, while White Tiger was Hispanic.

You just can't take too much notice of this stuff.

HigH ScholaR
Originally posted by basilisk
You kind of answer your own question there. Who would read characters like:

African American Panther
African American Lightning
African American Racer
African American Goliath
African American Manta
African American Talon
African American Vulcan?

Aside from not exactly rolling off the tongue, half these guys aren't even american so it's just not accurate. Hence "Black" just works better all around.

Of course where it all gets confusing is that Black Knight, Black Canary, Black Mamba, Black Orchid, Black Alice, and Black Widow (all 3 of them) are white, as is Manchester Black. Black Adam is Egyptian. Black Flash is an indeterminate corpse. And Black Crow was Native American. On the other hand Bronze Tiger and Green Lantern (John) were black, while White Tiger was Hispanic.

You just can't take too much notice of this stuff.
I think what Scoobless was talking about, was the point that characters of black origin have the name "black" somewhere in their superhero name. Especially as you don't see superhero of other origins treated the same i.e Asian man, or white lighting etc.

Or am I wrong Scoobless?

srankmissingnin
I think what Scoobless was talking about, was the point that characters of black origin have the name "black" somewhere in their superhero name. Especially as you don't see superhero of other origins treated the same i.e Asian man, or white lighting etc.

Or am I wrong Scoobless?

There is a Yellow Claw.

http://www.comicvine.com/yellow-claw/29-14525/

kgkg
"Black" has been used on Caucasian heroes as well.
Black Canary
Black Adam
Black Cat
Black Fox
Black Orchid
etc

The only famous hero with Black in their name is probably Black Panther no one gives a fu@k about the rest.

JakeTheBank
Black Adam's not what I'd call Caucasian, though.

srankmissingnin
Black is used in a lot of super hero names, but I think it has more to do with the actually colour black then the skin colour of the characters. It's a "cool colour", it's used a lot for the same reason the word night, or shadow is used. Except on Blaxploitation characters like Black Dynamite, I think it has more to do with the colour black being dark and mysterious and it is just a coincidence that some characters also happen to be black.

Scoobless
OK, I was exaggerating when I said 90%

Or am I wrong Scoobless?

That's pretty much it ... even in power rangers they made the black ranger black and the yellow ranger asian (I suppose the white ranger was white as well though)

Q99
Shock deaths to show that "Anyone can die!"

I don't want anyone to die randomly, I wanna read complete stories that, when someone dies, it's because it's a real end to their story as opposed to it being cut short. 'Anyone can die' just gives less reason to get invested.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.